As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    So I bought chocobo mystery dungeon last night on sale. I'm new to these type of games, but so far it's a lot of fun. I could see this getting harder later though, but I did go with normal for the first playthrough. Anyone have any experience with this one?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I played it on a previous console, I think the Wii? And it's a fun game. Japanese-style turn based roguelike, along the lines of every "mystery dungeon" game (Pokemon, Etrian, Shiren the Wanderer, Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja). I think chocobo tends to be simpler than others but that doesn't make it bad. Good times just delving dungeons and strategizing your next turn.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Yeah, it was on the Wii.

Every Buddy has a significant mechanical change, in the form of having a buddy join you in the dungeon. The original was Chocobo solo the whole time. It also means that the monster data collection is a new thing.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Hey you totally missed this gem. And I don't think you could get a less western-focused game that's still presented in English subtitles if you tried.

https://youtu.be/d716SJCAujw

Huh bubble bobble with some rhythm game elements? Interesting idea.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I'm up to the last world in Tropical Freeze, I've gotten a little more into the game - or at least more used to the controls. The big issue to me now about this game is the over the top amount of things going on in each level. I feel like the game isn't really all that hard, except for there are so many surprises and time limits on various things in each level that you have to go through each bit once or twice just to learn what's going on, and THEN you can actually play the level. What's worst is when for each different platform you're jumping on, you have to learn whether you have to rush across that one, because it will fall, or wait on it, because the next platform is going to move before you can get to it. Or some of the barrel stuff, where a collectible pops up while I'm still trying to figure out where I even am, and where I'm going, and then by the time I notice it, it's already dropped out and it's too late. It feels like a game designed more for watching than for playing.

It's like the designers looked at the mario autoscroll levels and were like 'THIS is what people want, but with more obfuscated time limits'

Also it feels like some of the hitboxes are off, I'm still often surprised that I died to an enemy because I thought I was on top of it.

Other than that, it's pretty good! I do still wish that the roll and ground pounding were different buttons, but those times when I can get into a groove and go from bouncing off enemies to rolling through others, and hopping between the vines, it feels good. It feels like you could really get a flow going, if the game would just let you.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I would maybe compare it to Sonic the Hedgehog in that once you have played levels a few times you'll memorize them and feel awesome just flowing through them perfectly, speed running the game.

Sometimes I randomly boot up Sonic 1 and race through a few levels just for fun, and I've had a similar feeling after struggling through modern DKC challenge levels a bit and then doing that one last run that's flawless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL_63OEBUfg

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    After grumping to everyone around me forever that a physical copy of World of final fantasy for switch was never available anywhere i finally broke down and bought it digital for 20$

Silly battle system aside it's very obviously a love letter to final fantasy and i love it.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    After grumping to everyone around me forever that a physical copy of World of final fantasy for switch was never available anywhere i finally broke down and bought it digital for 20$

Silly battle system aside it's very obviously a love letter to final fantasy and i love it.

Having Sherlotta appear in the game was a welcome surprise. They dug deep for some of the stuff in it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »

'Delightful' is the most accurate adjective I can think of for WoFF.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Oh man, I need to get back into WoFF. I have it on vita, so no real need to buy it again for the switch, but I remember really enjoying it though.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    I finished the story, but didn’t really do any bonus stuff. I feel like I should buy the Maxima DLC and get back into it.

Do the changes from Maxima do anything to the main story?

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'm up to the last world in Tropical Freeze, I've gotten a little more into the game - or at least more used to the controls. The big issue to me now about this game is the over the top amount of things going on in each level. I feel like the game isn't really all that hard, except for there are so many surprises and time limits on various things in each level that you have to go through each bit once or twice just to learn what's going on, and THEN you can actually play the level. What's worst is when for each different platform you're jumping on, you have to learn whether you have to rush across that one, because it will fall, or wait on it, because the next platform is going to move before you can get to it. Or some of the barrel stuff, where a collectible pops up while I'm still trying to figure out where I even am, and where I'm going, and then by the time I notice it, it's already dropped out and it's too late. It feels like a game designed more for watching than for playing.

It's like the designers looked at the mario autoscroll levels and were like 'THIS is what people want, but with more obfuscated time limits'

Also it feels like some of the hitboxes are off, I'm still often surprised that I died to an enemy because I thought I was on top of it.

Other than that, it's pretty good! I do still wish that the roll and ground pounding were different buttons, but those times when I can get into a groove and go from bouncing off enemies to rolling through others, and hopping between the vines, it feels good. It feels like you could really get a flow going, if the game would just let you.

I think the levels are designed with replaying them in mind. Speed runs of DKC:TF are pretty mesmerizing.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind a physical copy of FF9 for the Switch, but it is $52. Right now, I am playing the PS1 version.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind a physical copy of FF9 for the Switch, but it is $52. Right now, I am playing the PS1 version.

I'm so sorry. The loading times and how slow everything feels would be enough to kill my interest.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »

I'm so sorry. The loading times and how slow everything feels would be enough to kill my interest.

I am running in an emulator. Seems fine.

• Options
    I played through the game originally on the PSP, off the PSN store. That was probably the worst way to do it, haha.

Every time the game changed a "disk", the game would acquire additional slowdown, especially in battle and cutscenes. By the time I was on disk 4, cutscenes were super weird and never synced up with intended music cues.

I still liked the game, but I should've waited until I owned a PS3.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular

I think the levels are designed with replaying them in mind. Speed runs of DKC:TF are pretty mesmerizing.

Yeah, this is partly what I mean when I say it's designed more for watching than playing, it feels like a great game to watch a streamer run through.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Crippl3 wrote: »

What an odd way to celebrate Pikmin's 20th anniversary.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Someone at Nintendo: What if Pokemon Go, but we owned the IP outright?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    The case for Catherine full body...

When you open the case it's in the wrong spot AND IT'S UPSIDE DOWN this actually enrages me.
    i86wrziukgzh.jpg

Zunde on
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    ...so the slip cover has been put in the wrong way?

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeah, can't ya flip it the other way up?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Is it maybe intentional with the weird topsy turvy gameplay?

• Options
    Pikmin Go is not something I knew I needed in my life.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    More Switch "Pro" rumors, ones that look familiar but have a bit more credibility coming from Bloomberg's Takahashi Mochizuki, who seems to be talking to devs with dev kits. Non-paywalled summary at wccftech

- new System-on-a-chip, with improved processor and more memory
    - 4K docked support via Nvidia's DLSS (old games would need patches to enable)
    - will still lag behind Sony and Microsoft's offerings in performance
    - to be released later this year (2021)
    - *analysts* expect a higher price around $349-399 (i.e. this part is speculation)

Add the 7-inch 720p OLED panels that Bloomberg also rumored to be ordered from Samsung, Nate Drake's claims of at least a handful of exclusives (which would make sense with better CPU/memory), and this system is starting to take shape. It feels a bit New 3DSXL-y, except instead of a large super-stable 3D screen you get AI upscaling to 4K screens. No word yet on HDR support but I think that would make a substantial upgrade for handheld play, because as of right now this seems more about improving the docked experience.

• Options
    Ugh. I don't know if I'm ready for the fight against scalpers again. I just got over it for the PS5.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I still say it all sounds fanciful, especially with chip shortages. The battery life in handheld will probably end up being even worse/the same, at best as the original one...

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    I still say it all sounds fanciful, especially with chip shortages. The battery life in handheld will probably end up being even worse/the same, at best as the original one...

Remove the headphone port and install a bigger battery!
    Mostly joking because this is what cell phone companies ended up doing.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Am I the only one who's tired of Niantic's GPS map games? I know they did a lot of work to create the original map and Ingress, but it feels like they just keep painting a new color over the same walls with each app. Though I know Ingress is a bit different than any of the others with the area control aspect, but still the same locations, the same go out and walk mentality that doesn't work in rural areas with too few locations but is great in cities where you're walking anyway or there is a spot every block.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Naphtali wrote: »

The "chip shortage" is all about people competing for 7nm/8nm fab space from TSMC and Samsung respectively. Mariko is currently a whopping 16nm and has no such issues, if anything the problem there is that it might be too large and fabs don't want to support it anymore, just like the 20 nm Erista in the OG Switch was phased out. Whether there is a shortage problem here depends on what size they are shooting for.

If handheld is still a 720p screen they don't really have to push much harder there, in fact knowing Nintendo they would not push heat or life any harder than the OG switch (Erista). And it sounds like devs will be leaning *heavily* on DLSS for docked 4K, like all the way up from a 1080p render. With the max render resolutions being basically the same there isn't a need for an insane CPU/GPU boost, and Mariko already has untapped potential which should rise further with another die shrink for this new SoC. It sounds like the added resources would just make existing AAA games maybe actually hit a native 720p handheld/1080p docked instead of vasaline mode.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    What does Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 have to offer if I already have Puyo Puyo Tetris 1? Or, what can I still get out of Puyo Puyo Tetris 1 if I also get Puyo Puyo Tetris 2?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Am I the only one who's tired of Niantic's GPS map games? I know they did a lot of work to create the original map and Ingress, but it feels like they just keep painting a new color over the same walls with each app. Though I know Ingress is a bit different than any of the others with the area control aspect, but still the same locations, the same go out and walk mentality that doesn't work in rural areas with too few locations but is great in cities where you're walking anyway or there is a spot every block.

Supposedly it's going to be very different than Pokemon Go, and Shiggy's involved. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it will probably be something new at least.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Wish some store stateside would have a raffle / reservation system going. I need a Switch Pro and really don't want to deal with scalping and camping.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    The Switch Pro will bring with it the release of Xenoblade X port, mark my words it'll happen. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I wonder if they'll go the 3DS route for naming and call the upgraded Switch the New Nintendo Switch.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So I have been off of gaming mostly over the last couple weeks, with the exception of some Monster Hunter Stories when I'm laying in bed. These last couple weeks have just been crazy. So today I'm jumping back into my backlog and am now done with Atelier Ryza.

Great game. Pretty chill, although the final boss gave me some issues. By the time I got to the end of it, I was ready for it to be done. The game revolves around the Alchemy system, so be prepared to make stuff constantly. :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Supposedly it's going to be very different than Pokemon Go, and Shiggy's involved. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it will probably be something new at least.

Just a running total of Pikmin accidentally squished.
    Although stand too long in one spot and you get swarmed.

Wait no.
    We're going to be individual Pikmin aren't we.

discrider on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I wonder if they'll go the 3DS route for naming and call the upgraded Switch the New Nintendo Switch.

They learned their lesson after people didn't like the New 3DS naming. So this will be the Nintendo Wii Switch. The Wii brand, works every time!

• Options
    It will be called the Nintendo Switch Z and prompt endless arguments across social media about zee vs. zed.