Options

[Steam] Summer Sale: Don't look here, look over there!

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I'm very thankful to have a rebuilt computer to give me crispy clean warfame gameplay. Especially now that the Honkai 3rd impact player base has gone to war with itself over exclusive events

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Less at war with itself and more the Chinese playerbase demanding that they receive everything and all the other servers should get nothing. To the point one of those Chinese players planned to murder Mihoyo devs.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Less at war with itself and more the Chinese playerbase demanding that they receive everything and all the other servers should get nothing. To the point one of those Chinese players planned to murder Mihoyo devs.

wtf? Why?

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Madican wrote: »

wtf? Why?

The chinese, korean, and japanese player bases have gotten exclusive special events that the global player base has missed out. That it was the reverse for once pissed some folks off.

That this comes after the #bangenshin debacle is......

Praise the newell for never letting us down
    *scoots shovelware, malware, mining malware, and asset flips under carpet*

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Welp. No more Wildermyth for me. Or Stellaris. Or anything else for that matter.

My computer acted fucky at the start of the year, on my birthday no less. Now it really seems like my graphics card has given up the ghost. And my Ryzen does not have integrated graphics. And I have no money for a replacement card. Not like that matters since crypto shitbags have completely destroyed any real person's ability to buy one.

Pardon my venting. Last day off from work and now ultra depressed.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »
    Pardon my venting.
    :bro:

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    That sucks dude.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I guess humble is adding a restriction. The new max for the charity donations is 15% of your payment.

My interest level in Humble's offerings dropped dramatically after IGN bought them out and started doing an extremely heavy focus on pushing their monthly subscription service, and this is pretty much the final nail in the coffin for me.

I've always donated to good charities and I (like most people, apparently, given this change) used Humble as a way to get some neat bundles for my contribution, but once I stopped being interested in the offered bundles I just started donating directly again.

I picked up their video and music software bundle Thursday.

I spend yesterday scrubbing malware from one of the lesser programs from the bundle.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Cantido wrote: »
    I guess humble is adding a restriction. The new max for the charity donations is 15% of your payment.

My interest level in Humble's offerings dropped dramatically after IGN bought them out and started doing an extremely heavy focus on pushing their monthly subscription service, and this is pretty much the final nail in the coffin for me.

I've always donated to good charities and I (like most people, apparently, given this change) used Humble as a way to get some neat bundles for my contribution, but once I stopped being interested in the offered bundles I just started donating directly again.

I spend yesterday scrubbing malware from one of the lesser programs from the bundle.

Oof, big fucking yikes.

I mean, I hardly pay attention to much of anything on there any more except if I see something from a publisher I already know. But goddamn, if they're not even malware-scanning the shit they're selling, it's just showing you really can't trust these fuckers any more on a lot of these software bundles.

And trying to sneak the "lol we're donating the bare minimum to charity" bullshit through there is just fucking stupid, especially when Child's Play does a lot with them. Only a matter of time before they really get dumped on for this...

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    24 hour flash giveaway for Figment:

signature.png

I completed the game already. It plays like an isometric Zelda with the theme of taking place entirely inside of the mind. The bosses are Nightmares and they sing as they try to kill you. Took about 5 hours for me but could be longer if you go for 100% completion. Is currently on sale for $2 if you dont win and has a sequel coming out this year.

Key will be sent to the winner through Steamgifts. Open to Adventure Team Only.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Aistan wrote: »
    While I hate bosses and can't imagine actually spending multiple hours on a single section of a game, i've also learned that I do need at least a little challenge or I get bored. Celeste taught me this, actually. I was too shit to get through it without the assists, but with the assists on it was effortless and lost all meaning.

I honestly get very annoyed with games where easy = normal, normal = hard.

At the start, I'm gonna try your game on normal and if I find it too difficult/frustrating I usually am just going to give up on you rather than bump down the difficulty if I'm not feeling the game.

If I learn it has been following aforementioned poorly labeled difficulty setting I usually quit in disgust.

Edit: Whoops, failed to see there was another page and the conversation had kinda moved on.

Karoz on
  • Options
    I was just messing around in chat, and apparently I need to lock my feline-driven gift delivery device up more effectively...

u7wq7n7suhqd.png

Thanks to @Pixelated Pixie for Colorado Cocoa Club! I'm always up for a good VN!

...not to mention hot chocolate just sounds good right now...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    xk713jdb9wyc.png

All right then, I see how it is.

Thanks @JaysonFour for Wildermyth (which looks amazing)! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I bought, played, refunded, and reviewed Shadow Empire this weekend. I know there were some people here interested in it. This may make you more or less depending.
    I think this game is for someone, but it's definitely not for me. It says 4x but the Simulation tag is way more accurate. This game buries you in reports and screens and options, such as setting the axial tilt of your planet. It suffers from the same problem that Master of Orion 3 did, where it's not a game, it's an accurate replica of running a space empire. There's also still tons of rough edges in the graphical presentation (resource and stat names showing variables instead, text input and dialog windows reverting to basic Windows styling, etc).

If you like a game with a hojillion interlocking systems and reports that are literally dozens of pages of graphs and stats, check it out. Otherwise maybe wait for a sale.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    While I hate bosses and can't imagine actually spending multiple hours on a single section of a game, i've also learned that I do need at least a little challenge or I get bored. Celeste taught me this, actually. I was too shit to get through it without the assists, but with the assists on it was effortless and lost all meaning.

At the start, I'm gonna try your game on normal and if I find it too difficult/frustrating I usually am just going to give up on you rather than bump down the difficulty if I'm not feeling the game.

If I learn it has been following aforementioned poorly labeled difficulty setting I usually quit in disgust.

Edit: Whoops, failed to see there was another page and the conversation had kinda moved on.

Hot take!

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

Hot take!

vbmk7vjkkw1q.jpg

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Apparently pixies are like happy fun balls, and not to be trifled with:

z6s0tzkduogw.png

4s83n4tceij8.pngd4267oznqzcm.png

9x9ke9uh0zpr.png5ey3q4tbfgbq.png

qg12d7wm6dt4.png6d2zj0gsf8mo.png

1dlo305rsxw2.png

@Pixelated Pixie decided some disproportionate revenge was in order. Thanks for Memories of a Vagabond, Legends of Talia: Arcadia, Wildermyth, Box Cats Puzzle, Animals Memory: Cats, Hikari! Love Potion, 100 Hidden Cats, and Kitty Tactics!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Hot take!

vbmk7vjkkw1q.jpg

I did, as a matter of fact!

• Options
    Tried Clear sky
    Made it to first mission to rescue the outpost
    Tried to kill boars
    Sky got dark
    Last survivor dropped dead
    boars were dead when I reached the bottom of the ladder
    Hid inside the building when the radio screamed emission
    Passed out
    Woke up at base
    talked to scientist
    Died mid conversation

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky

• Options
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Apparently pixies are like happy fun balls, and not to be trifled with:

z6s0tzkduogw.png

4s83n4tceij8.pngd4267oznqzcm.png

9x9ke9uh0zpr.png5ey3q4tbfgbq.png

qg12d7wm6dt4.png6d2zj0gsf8mo.png

1dlo305rsxw2.png

Pixelated Pixie decided some disproportionate revenge was in order. Thanks for Memories of a Vagabond, Legends of Talia: Arcadia, Wildermyth, Box Cats Puzzle, Animals Memory: Cats, Hikari! Love Potion, 100 Hidden Cats, and Kitty Tactics!

Got me a new gift, ha ha ha ho!
    Slicing up wishlists, ha ha ha ho!
    Girlie so giving, ha ha ha ho!
    Don't know about you, but I am one scared Steam Thread poster!

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I talked about boost-dodge cancelling and you tell me slide = sprint, really?
    So with that I'm realizing I misunderstood you. You said "boost dodge to evade enemies," and while I recalled the exploit you'd mentioned to boost without using stamina, the exact action used in cancelling the slide had slipped my mind so I thought you were just saying "you can use the boost to dodge enemies."

cB557 on
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    One must never forget the 5 D's.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    I bought, played, refunded, and reviewed Shadow Empire this weekend. I know there were some people here interested in it. This may make you more or less depending.
    I think this game is for someone, but it's definitely not for me. It says 4x but the Simulation tag is way more accurate. This game buries you in reports and screens and options, such as setting the axial tilt of your planet. It suffers from the same problem that Master of Orion 3 did, where it's not a game, it's an accurate replica of running a space empire. There's also still tons of rough edges in the graphical presentation (resource and stat names showing variables instead, text input and dialog windows reverting to basic Windows styling, etc).

If you like a game with a hojillion interlocking systems and reports that are literally dozens of pages of graphs and stats, check it out. Otherwise maybe wait for a sale.

So the kind of game I always say I'm going to love but then get fed up after 20 minutes and just watch somebody on YouTube play it for 30 hours.

Gonna buy this once the car repairs are paid for. Going to save time and regret it in the mean time so I don't have to later.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

Was that the Vegas Pro bundle? I was eyeing that one up.

• Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    wn116otsmqzo.png
    I've been made the sudden target of @Corsini 's generosity! This does, in fact, look really neat.

While everyone's talking about the little curiosities they've discovered, I absolutely want to throw Rhythm Doctor into the mix. It's the continuation of an utterly charming flash rhythm game you might have seen (same name) and the mechanic is as simple as hitting the spacebar on every 7th beat. What they manage to do with that, though, is fantastic.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    cB557 wrote: »
    So with that I'm realizing I misunderstood you. You said "boost dodge to evade enemies," and while I recalled the exploit you'd mentioned to boost without using stamina, the exact action used in cancelling the slide had slipped my mind so I thought you were just saying "you can use the boost to dodge enemies."

It's not an exploit.

This companies game mechanics are so tightly crafted there is no way they did not notice this was possible. They're experts at this sort of thing.

Let go of these words bug and exploit, they only do you a disservice in understanding Platinum Games majesty.

Other companies create accidental skilled game mechanics. Platinum Games do it deliberately and then base their designs around the ability.

Interesting fact: Vanquish had the same head gameplay designer as Godhand, another work of tightly crafted genius. That guy then, after Vanquish, retired from game development and I kid you not, became a farmer.

I still grieve for his loss, but good on him if that's what he wanted to do.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited April 2021

It's not an exploit.

This companies game mechanics are so tightly crafted there is no way they did not notice this was possible. They're experts at this sort of thing.

Let go of these words bug and exploit, they only do you a disservice in understanding Platinum Games majesty.

Other companies create accidental skilled game mechanics. Platinum Games do it deliberately and then base their designs around the ability.

Interesting fact: Vanquish had the same head gameplay designer as Godhand, another work of tightly crafted genius. That guy then, after Vanquish, retired from game development and I kid you not, became a farmer.

I'm sure they noticed these things, the testers probably noticed them the day they got a build that had these bugs, and then the devs were like "yeah those are kinda cool, let's keep them in." But like, they're not some masterful tightly crafted system unique to Vanquish, these are the sorts of minor bugs that show up across tons of shooters and other games. For instance, there's a bunch of animation cancelling bugs in Halo 2 to let you attack faster than intended, and back when Warframe had stamina there was a trick with interrupting wallclimbs with slides to climb infinitely. Breath of the Wild has a trick where you whistle while sprinting to recover stamina while still moving quickly. Borderlands has a trick where you drop a weapon and pick it back up to instantly reload it. Hell, in fuckin' Sonic '06 when playing as Silver you can travel further by spamming the levitate button instead of holding it like you're supposed to.
    This isn't some unique game design that only Platinum could make, these are just the same sorts of small bugs and tricks that show up in tons of games. Like do you really think "if you're firing an automatic weapon and then switch to the rocket launcher without releasing the trigger, it'll fire the rocket instantly" is something someone designed on purpose instead of the game just being late on updating the "is firing" state or whatever?

cB557 on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    It sure sounds like that what he just said, yeah.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

It's not an exploit.

Oh goody, another opportunity to post the best game review ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBqB5LUKh8A

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Best review you say? I see your video and raise you this image:

z4626gixmtx4.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2021

It's not an exploit.

I'm sure they noticed these things, the testers probably noticed them the day they got a build that had these bugs, and then the devs were like "yeah those are kinda cool, let's keep them in." But like, they're not some masterful tightly crafted system unique to Vanquish, these are the sorts of minor bugs that show up across tons of shooters and other games. For instance, there's a bunch of animation cancelling bugs in Halo 2 to let you attack faster than intended, and back when Warframe had stamina there was a trick with interrupting wallclimbs with slides to climb infinitely. Breath of the Wild has a trick where you whistle while sprinting to recover stamina while still moving quickly. Borderlands has a trick where you drop a weapon and pick it back up to instantly reload it. Hell, in fuckin' Sonic '06 when playing as Silver you can travel further by spamming the levitate button instead of holding it like you're supposed to.
    This isn't some unique game design that only Platinum could make, these are just the same sorts of small bugs and tricks that show up in tons of games. Like do you really think "if you're firing an automatic weapon and then switch to the rocket launcher without releasing the trigger, it'll fire the rocket instantly" is something someone designed on purpose instead of the game just being late on updating the "is firing" state or whatever?

Yes. Because if you do a launching kick animation cancelling will let you fire off all three rockets exactly within the amount of bullet time available to you. Animation cancelling syncs into the rest of the combat in a completely consistent way. So does burst dodging, where enemies will fire at you in such as way that if you do it backwards and forwards in one spot attacks will precisely go around you. This is particularly noticeable with one of the bosses, who has big bright tracer fire rounds that slide around you as you do the technique, on either side. It looks very cool as well as feeling cool. It's too precise to feel accidental. It feels designed. This carries across into the entire game. Whole combat scenarios are designed, and weapons carefully placed, especially in challenges, where using these techniques allows you to complete the challenges in a rewarding and skillful way, giving off an escalating feeling of power as you get better and better at doing them. This also, incidentally, lets you get faster and faster times (the entire game is designed for speedruns and chasing challenge times after all) This carries onto the higher difficulties as well, where they increase the strictness of your bullet time available and buff the AI so using these techniques keeps you in the flow state. It matches the escalation of flow too well to be anything other than designed across the entire game. (The escalation of flow is where as skillset increases, difficulty also needs to increase.)

These other games with tricks often do not fit into the gameplay that well, and can feel very glitchy. These things I'm talking about are integrated into the overall combat, and are quite deliberate.

You can believe it or not, but it's a true thing. I understand you are taking years of knowledge from other companies that do not craft their games as well, but this company are not those companies. They have a solid reputation for a reason.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    I dunno, just, even if you're right and all this is deliberate, the masterful design you're talking about is still like, mashing sprint and dodge to have infinite stamina, and rapidly swapping weapons to break the fire rates on guns, in ways that are indistinguishable from common glitches. Like they're neat tricks, I was actually using the rocket launcher thing earlier, but if I was trying to sell someone on Vanquish I would probably be focusing more on stuff like the ways the different weapons interact with the various weaknesses of the enemies.

And also just lol at the argument that I just don't get Platinum's design because I've been playing worse crafted games, like Halo or Zelda.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    So based on all this, I can't decide if Platinum is the best there ever was and this is the greatest shooter ever made or... not...

>.>

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    So based on all this, I can't decide if Platinum is the best there ever was and this is the greatest shooter ever made or... not...

>.>

As a dev, they're extremely hit and miss, but I have a hard time finding fault with the argument that Vanquish is the best 3PS ever made.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    MNuFbE2.jpg

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Hmm . Kinda wish I had thought of that one.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I dunno, just, even if you're right and all this is deliberate, the masterful design you're talking about is still like, mashing sprint and dodge to have infinite stamina, and rapidly swapping weapons to break the fire rates on guns, in ways that are indistinguishable from common glitches. Like they're neat tricks, I was actually using the rocket launcher thing earlier, but if I was trying to sell someone on Vanquish I would probably be focusing more on stuff like the ways the different weapons interact with the various weaknesses of the enemies.

And also just lol at the argument that I just don't get Platinum's design because I've been playing worse crafted games, like Halo or Zelda.

I didn't mean to say those games are badly crafted overall. I meant when there are glitches they're often accidental and not properly integrated. They're "left as it is". They're fun! Most of the good games have them, because good designers know to leave it in. Platinum just take it a step further.

And yeah they're common things in shooters, it's because Vanquish was created by Platinum looking around at other shooters on the market, and creating a game that innovates on those concepts. They didn't seek to reinvent the wheel, they set out to make a really, really good shooter, extremely solid, that feels good to play, and has a lot of interesting quirks, and has a skill progression and sense of interactivity (needing to learn to learn to do combinations of button presses for advanced play) similar to a character action game. How many shooters prior to Vanquish got a 4 way invincible dodge?

Like, lets take that thing you said before when you said that a slide is just a sprint. The rocket slide is 360 degree low profile high speed (much faster than most sprints) that lets you fire on the move, use cover while you are moving, dodge attacks in a consistent way since the animation has him literally dive into it right at the start and many enemy attacks are coded to whiff if you do it at the right timing, activate bullet time during it, changes how your grenades are thrown (so a very quick slide then throw will toss an emp at your feet instead of the big throw), lets you attack out of the slide that can be turned into a higher air position so you can shoot enemies in the head easier, giving it a tactical advantage. The end of the slide even does a long forward flip animation that covers a lot of ground so you can expertly stop it early to get behind cover without using meter, and also encourages you to dodge to cancel it (a subtle guide into figuring out the boost dodge technique) It makes you juggles your meter as well, a strategic consideration, especially because that meter is used for more than just sprint. The mobility and utility the rocket slide gives you is so far above the sprint in most fps games that it's like comparing a professional athlete to a toddler chasing his mates in a playground. It's night and day!

And then on top of all this stuff you have this technique where when you get good at the timing you can now extend your meter in a strategic way, which opens up even more mobility in a game designed around high mobility. You can dance around effectively killing enemies on very low meter, so if you are caught unexpected you are not caught flat footed but can use skill to overcome. A strong defensive usage. You can keep your meter as your move across the battlefield, so you can use it on bullet time when you get into position instead of having to wait. A strong offensive and tactical usage. And so on. And so on. Most other companies would just have the slide and leave it at that! You probably wouldn't even be able to cancel it into a dodge. They took it even further.

(Incidentally there's a timing to doing it correctly. To get the maximum length you have to time your dodge to cancel it precisely. You can extend this to use up a slight amount of meter to get even more distance. You can do it faster to be more evasive and spend more time in your dodge i-frames, but if you do it too fast you cancel too much of the early evasive slide animation, and kinda end up not moving anywhere and getting shot. You cannot mash it mindlessly and get the full use out of it. It rewards mastery, precision and timing like any good system.)

Yes, at its core, it lets you move faster, just like a sprint. It also does all this other stuff. That's the innovation part. That's what the game does for everything.

And yeah, the weapons are pretty damn good. I'm still trying to dig up my text file but I think I might have to write a new one.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Just read about Dodge Offset in the Bayonetta games and try to tell me that Platinum Games doesn't know exactly what they're doing. This is core to how combat works in those games.

These people design the best action brawlers in the business, I highly doubt they have abusable bugs in any of their games' combat.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Platinum have hit and miss overall games in terms of story, variety, etc, but so far (I haven't played TMNT mind you) I haven't encountered one of their core character action games that did not have rock solid mechanics. Even Korra was a blast purely mechanics wise, even if the rest of the game wasn't the best. Transformers is legit the best large scale multiple enemy character action game combat system ever crafted. I could write about that game for hours. It's story mode is poop but it's combat challenges and game mechanics are sublime.

I have this avatar for a reason!

2wpzcse1l6nm.png

Morninglord on
This discussion has been closed.