As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Total War] Immortal Empires arrives in August 23rd! Southlands Showdown Awaits!

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    "40k Total War" would probably end up being more like "Epic: Total War". For anyone who doesn't know, Epic was a game set in the 40k universe that dealt with a much larger scale by using much smaller models; instead of individual space marines you'd have models representing an entire squad of space marines, so it became possible to field an entire armor division, or even a whole space marine company.

Basically this:
    4n2snbzsksgn.jpg

Now imagine that, but in real-time, lovingly rendered with all of the modern graphical bells and whistles of WH:TW. This is how I'd picture a "40k: Total War". Also it means they'd get to break out some of the truly ridiculously huge units that don't really fit into your average game, like Titans, Imperial Knights, Gargants and such.

Yes, it would be a real time version of Epic 40,000: Final Liberation.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Total War: WH40K is 100% doable. However they can't just take the TW:Warhammer engine as is and just add some upgrades like they are doing with Warhammer 2/3. It'll be a lot more work, but they probably don't have much of a choice. The TW:Warhammer games will probably have content till what 2023? That'll be a 7 year lifespan. If 40K can give them something similar, we're looking at mid to late 2030's. By that point technology will have improved quite a bit and they can make TW: Rome 3, Medieval 3, etc, then loop back to Warhammer again if they'd like (or pick something new).

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Im not sure what they would really need to change with the engine.

Id rather not have the super weapons in the Epic Scale

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Man I remember playing Epic 40k back in high school. It always felt like the balance was comically bad, though I definitely think a TW:40k done at epic scale would probably work out fairly well. I'm sure they could make it work either way and no doubt that epic scale was never as popular as standard 40k, but then WHFB was never as popular as 40k either and is also a product that isn't officially supported anymore (as far as I know).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »

That's hilarious. Best unit in total war. :+1:

I can't wait to laboratory Nurglings. Just imagine 1000 Nurgling Voltrons!

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Animating those nurglings probably cost way more charlemagnes than the Jabberslythe.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    They are good lads, so it was all worth it.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    You can tell the animators were having a blast with Nurglings.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    For the first time ever I managed to have my shit together well enough to have 4 full doomstacks ready and waiting for the big bad chaos innovation. I am playing as Clan Skryre and it was turn 145. I had Ikit Claw, Throt (confederated), and a couple of generic lords. 3 of the 4 armies were weapons teams doomstacks consisting of Plague Lord (or Warlock Master) 4 Plague Priests, 5 Rattling Gunners, 5 Warplock Jezzails, 3 Plagueclaw Catapults and 2 Plague Wind Mortars. Throt had Ghoritch, 4 Packmasters, 3 Chieftains, and the rest were brood horrors.

All in all, I was ridiculously overprepared. I could have handled it with JUST Ikit's army. Instead I let each of the 3 weapon team doomstacks launch an attack. I pulled off the ambush each time too. As you may know the AI derps out during ambush battles and typically refuses to attack the player. Well I used that to my advantage to defeat Sigvald, Kolek, and Archeon the very turn they spawned in.

Fun fact, if you kill Siggy, Koko and Arche on the same turn, the rest of the Chaos chuds nope out and just despawn. All I was left with were the tattered remains of Archie's army and a stack of Beastmen. A few ambushes later and the only thing that remains are chitterling ratmen.

• Options
    I had a similar situation recently. But it was just Wurzag, 2xRiver Troll Hags, 1xBlack Orc Big Boss, 4xSavage orc big 'uns boar riders and 12x Stone trolls.

It wasn't even semi-fair. Wurzag on his turbo-boar is just the best caster and best army leader in the game. The only thing he's not the best at is being the best melee duelist. But that's why you have two river troll hags and a black orc big boss (the big boss tanks it, the river troll hags debuff and cast spirit leech).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    Someone pointed out on reddit today that there are currently 69 playable lords in Mortal Empires. The 69th lord is Sigvald the Magnificent.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Someone pointed out on reddit today that there are currently 69 playable lords in Mortal Empires. The 69th lord is Sigvald the Magnificent.

Nice!

Is there something wrong with Albion on the vortex? A chaos rebel army is assaulting it every turn trying to raze it but they can't so they just destroy the garrison. Been doing it for like 20 turns now in my Tyrion campaign. I haven't stopped it since Rakarth always comes back for it and holding northern Ulthuan while he's sailing around up there is a pain in the arse. He's about to get fucked up so I'd rather he stayed in Karond Kar for a bit longer.

This Tyrion campaign is weird in other ways. Noctilus took all of Caledor, Tiranoc and Ellyrion before I finished off Sartosa so Ulthuan was one third vampire. It took six turns to kick him off and he keeps suing for peace but honestly I want to send 2 armies down to invade the graveyard cos fuck that guy. Haven't seen him take so much of Ulthuan in a long time.

I am also swimming in influence without trying, 20 - 30 per turn with a single noble. Alarielle is pretty strong.

danx on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    danx wrote: »
    Is there something wrong with Albion on the vortex? A chaos rebel army is assaulting it every turn trying to raze it but they can't so they just destroy the garrison. Been doing it for like 20 turns now in my Tyrion campaign. I haven't stopped it since Rakarth always comes back for it and holding northern Ulthuan while he's sailing around up there is a pain in the arse. He's about to get fucked up so I'd rather he stayed in Karond Kar for a bit longer.
    The AI clearly learned the value of a sack city.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nK1_reA0SQ

Meant to post this a while back. You can sort of aim wandering vortex spells.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Yea it’s been that way since TW2. I… I thought everyone knew it’s the same mechanism as aiming wind spells

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    I knew about aiming wind but not vortex spells. It's only a little useful for vortex because they will change direction pretty quickly but it does help get a few more initial kills. As if mages need more kills though.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I imagine in certain ways 40k: Total War would work like Dawn of War 1 did, in terms of unit formation. Like, we know having a big square/rectangular block of troops for a certain unit can work because it's been done.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I imagine in certain ways 40k: Total War would work like Dawn of War 1 did, in terms of unit formation. Like, we know having a big square/rectangular block of troops for a certain unit can work because it's been done.

Dawn of War 1 wasn't really formation driven like Total War though. It was more squad based -- up to around 12 (generally less) units in a squad, and they would sprawl out a decent amount in combat. It definitely wasn't a rectangular/square formation setup like Total War. The scale is incredibly different too -- one 200 man unit of spearmen in Total War is your entire population cap in Dawn of War 1.

I do think Total Warhammer 40k can work though, but mechanically Dawn of War 1 and Total War are super far apart.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I think 40k: Total War is something that they've thought about for a long time but I think the reason we haven't seen it is because they're not confident they can make it work

I'd be curious to see them try, though! In fact I'm curious about anything they do, including non-Total War stuff, because Alien Isolation remains one of my favorite horror games, so they've clearly got other talents they could be exploring

I do want them to put out Three Kingdoms 2 though, since that remains their best Total War game ever (don't @ me) and I want them to iterate on some of those systems! At least, if they don't for Warhammer 3. I love the retinue system and the character relationships!! Please put those in every game!!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I think the biggest problems with running 40k would be a combination of balance (an entire chapter of space marine’s totals out to about a thousand men but could canonically kill a billion guardsmen) and also scope (literally dozens of planets can be involved in a given war and conflicts can take decades to resolve).

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Dawn of War managed to balance it well enough. Maybe Space Marines could be single entity units and you could just run around with a doomstack of them.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    They could also potentially include Space Marines as elite units for a generalized Imperial force, but then they lose out on selling all those sweet Space Marine chapters as DLC.

Edit: Though one thing to remember about the number of Space Marines is that Steam tanks are also canonically limited to about seven. And I think there’s only two Arch-Lectors. But in Total War you could have five stacks of 19 Steam Tanks lead by Arch-Lectors if you can afford it.

Skarbrand’s faction effects were posted to Discord. His faction gains 25% movement range when razing a settlement, can replenish normally in enemy territory, and suffers -20 diplomacy with Khorne factions. Skarbrand himself gets 35% movement range when winning a battle and 25% cheaper recruitment while in enemy territory. Hope you’re ready for some more absurd Taurox turns!

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »
    They could also potentially include Space Marines as elite units for a generalized Imperial force, but then they lose out on selling all those sweet Space Marine chapters as DLC.

Edit: Though one thing to remember about the number of Space Marines is that Steam tanks are also canonically limited to about seven. And I think there’s only two Arch-Lectors. But in Total War you could have five stacks of 19 Steam Tanks lead by Arch-Lectors if you can afford it.

Skarbrand’s faction effects were posted to Discord. His faction gains 25% movement range when razing a settlement, can replenish normally in enemy territory, and suffers -20 diplomacy with Khorne factions. Skarbrand himself gets 35% movement range when winning a battle and 25% cheaper recruitment while in enemy territory. Hope you’re ready for some more absurd Taurox turns!

Does he also get an extra action after razing?

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Hopefully without a way to refill movement Skarbrand won't be like Taurox. We also don't know how the Chaos factions will handle Razing settlements - its very possible that (like for most others) Razing will still cause that army to lose all its movement for that turn.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Not expressly stated.

• Options

Not expressly stated.

Based on what you stayed Iblis, he potentially could be Taurox light.

I doubt 25% movement is enough to really leapfrog between settlements.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »

Not expressly stated.

Based on what you stayed Iblis, he potentially could be Taurox light.

I doubt 25% movement is enough to really leapfrog between settlements.

Well, I'm not entirely sure. Skarbrand gets 25% for a battle, but one of the Khorne faction buffs is 35% movement on razing a settlement. So, does that mean Skarbrand gets 60% movement back from razing a settlement (25% for the battle and then 35% for the raze)?

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Yeah, I believe Skarbrand gets a total 60% movement from razing a settlement (and 35% from other battles). The rest of his faction just gets 25% on razing a settlement, which is less huge. But none of Taurox's other armies can do his bullshit either. Doesn't have a way to just refresh movement though (as far as we know) so that will limit him compared to Taurox.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Where are the Skarbrand faction mechanics?

If they wanted to limit it, they could make the 35% for razing not stack with the 25% for winning

Kruite on
  • Options
    Kruite wrote: »
    Where are the Skarbrand faction mechanics?

Faction:
    Armies replenish in Foreign territory
    -20 diplomatic relations with other Khornate factions
    Campaign movement +25% after razing a settlement

Lord
    Campaign Movement +35% after winning a battle
    recruitment cost -35% when in enemy or razed territory

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I think they just announced this will be coming to PC gamepass day one, if so that’s insane

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    They must feel pretty safe in the knowledge that they'll be hauling bags of cash with DLC sales even on Gamepass, since DLC is never part of the subscription content.

• Options
    Also, as mentioned, DLC isn't cross store. So if you have everything on Steam and want to play the big campaign, Gamepass won't let you do that.

• Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft paid they a good deal of money up front, the same way Epic did for Troy. That plus DLC plus preorders that have already happened on other systems like Steam will mean a lot of money.

BTW, if you own Total War 1 and 2 on a different store, do not do Total War 3 on Gamepass, as it will not be eligible for Mortal Empires or carrying over the TW1 and TW2 DLC. That's true for all stores, so if you own them Steam, then you'll want TW3 on Steam, if you have them on Epic, you'll want TW3 on Epic, etc.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Dawn of War managed to balance it well enough. Maybe Space Marines could be single entity units and you could just run around with a doomstack of them.
    I think the biggest impediment is needing to re-think how they build the battlefields, as my sense is that 40k is much more cover reliant than Fantasy. That's what Dawn of War nailed (in conjunction with COH) but TW is fairly simplified on.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Gaddez wrote: »
    I think the biggest problems with running 40k would be a combination of balance (an entire chapter of space marine’s totals out to about a thousand men but could canonically kill a billion guardsmen) and also scope (literally dozens of planets can be involved in a given war and conflicts can take decades to resolve).

Game balance has never really matched fluff descriptions. Normal marines for a long time fielded almost as many models as most other armies barring hordes.

It wasn't until they really buffed their stats with Primaris that they started getting away with fewer models on the board, and then Custodes brought that to an absurd new level.

This can easily be balanced in game with unit sizes, unit availabilities and stats. If they go with the normal 20 units per army, you've got 5 or so taken up by single entities - a Librarian, a Lieutenant/Captain, a Chaplain, a Techmarine, an Apothecary, etc. Then you'd have 5-10 squads made up of smaller model counts - probably 10 models - than other factions. Then the remaining made up of various vehicles like transports or battle tanks, which would also be single entities.

Contrast to, say, a Tyranid army. They'd have 2-3 leader single entities (Hive Tyrants, Broodlords), 10-15 broods - which would range from 30+ model count Gaunt broods, 20+ model count Genestealer broods, 5+ model count Warrior broods, 3+ model count Carnifex broods, and larger single entities filling the rest - Haruspexes, Exocrines, Trygons, etc.

Marines would be be balanced for much higher toughness and HP pools per model, longer range more damage on weapons, etc. Just the way they balance it on tabletop. You lose the propaganda side of a squad of Marines holding a whole planet with nothing but their teeth and fists, and gain a balanced game.

Then you've got all the thematic special rules they can do, like off map orbital strikes and reinfocements from drop pod kinetic bombs, Trygons deploying from underground and bringing a squad with them, etc. And this is just two armies.

Then let modders go nuts making 'proper' Space Marine mods.

edit - the point about scope is valid, but only in some instances. Fights on a single planet happen all the time in 40k. When you've got a fight spanning entire systems and dragging on for decades, it's a concentrated effort - an Ork Waaagh, an Imperial Crusade, a Tyranid Hive Fleets main tendril, etc. That's not the majority of the fighting in 40k. However, it's doable.

You have the strategic layer be a galactic map. Not like, the whole galaxy, but part of a segmentum would work. The bigger the map, the less contrived it is to have every race turn up. Then, rather than armies, your armies are represented by fleets. Your stack is the infantry fighting force of the fleet. Fleet vs fleet combat could be done as boarding actions if they don't want to go into naval combat. When you get to a planet, simplify it by having 3-4 warzones, and taking those warzones takes the planet - similar to having 3-4 cities in a province.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Yeah, I believe Skarbrand gets a total 60% movement from razing a settlement (and 35% from other battles). The rest of his faction just gets 25% on razing a settlement, which is less huge. But none of Taurox's other armies can do his bullshit either. Doesn't have a way to just refresh movement though (as far as we know) so that will limit him compared to Taurox.

We don't know if they'll get movement back after Razing. The 25% boost could be an effect that lasts for a (few) turn(s), and 160% of zero is still zero.

Alternatively, if the Chaos armies do get something like the Beastmen's Raze & Advance (for example's sake let's say it returns 20% of the army's movement), a way of reading it is that Skarbrand would get 32% of his gauge (160% of 20%) rather than 60%.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I'm not worried about the scale. Dawn of War Dark Crusade showed me that a quasi risk game mod on a single planet can be interesting. And yeah, space marines, even on the official GW tabletop have never been as strong as they are in canon. I think Space Marine (the game) probably came closest.

I'm mostly worried about say, animations? Cause having your space marines stand out in the open shooting in a square formation may of been okay for a 2004 rpg, but in a sci fi or modern setting I think people would expect more trenches and cover.

• Options
    Well, when they say 'Total War 40k I doubt it's a literal translation.

CA have done other strategy games well - Stormrise and Halo Wars 2, so it's not like block formations is all they know how to do.

This discussion has been closed.