As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Total War] Immortal Empires arrives in August 23rd! Southlands Showdown Awaits!

• Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    Dawn of War 2 had units able to take cover, so I assume it's just a matter of adding the animations and cover points on terrain.

Speaking of, terrain will be the make or break point for a theoretical TW:40k. It's very important on the tabletop and woul only be more so in a digital environment.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah absolutely. Open fields works for Warhammer Fantasy because infantry blocks need open fields to manoeuvre with LoS blocking features to stop cannons and spells. 40k will need more interactive terrain

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    They could do a lot with momentum and emplacement. Ie the classic space marine pose of standing steadfast gunning down hoards could be turned into a mechanic, where good positioning and like the more you kill you get a kind of tower defense bonus for powerful units standing firm, and have that rock paper scissor with more horde based momentum enemies. They would have to do a lot of work on like an expanded duel system for smaller unit vs smaller unit engagements, like a kind of squad v squad animated fighting system

Prohass on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Total War already has cover mechanics. Go back to Empire and Napoleon you even have map elements like houses you can fortify and fire from. In Warhammer 3 docking with buildable defenses is a pretty major mechanic.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    You'd probably need some faction tweaking too. You could make Marines and Imperial guard into a single faction. Have Marines be an higher tier unit with 10 models. Things like Librarians could be hero units

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    That would probably be easiest, but you'd really want the Marines to be their own faction. The DLC possibility alone = major bank.

You're right, though, in that 40k fluff, Marines aren't really armies. They're special shock troops that aide the Guard / Astra Militarum or do their own missions. I guess it'd make sense if they were rolled into the Imperium and the Chaos Marines just had cultist equivalents.

....but the DLC....

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    You'd probably need some faction tweaking too. You could make Marines and Imperial guard into a single faction. Have Marines be an higher tier unit with 10 models. Things like Librarians could be hero units

I'd rather do things differently and have general factions that can tie cults/auxiliaries etc to them.

So Imperium is imperial guard. Then they can use special resources to tie Inquisitors (with their access to death cults and Officio Assassinorum etc)/spacemarine chapters/sisters of battle to aid them temporarily or longterm. Probably some kind of crusade mechanic. Possibly in a similar way that State troops help the Empire in warhammer. Possibly in that you have a very limited amount of space marine armies to use (only a single one per chapter you've tied to your faction).

Then Eldar, Orks and Chaos can do similar things. Eldar can add aspect warrior temples, eldar pirate fleets or Harlequin bands to them. Orks can add freebootaz, speed cults etc.

But I absolutely do not want "Well. We're not going to use guardsmen anymore because we have these super great spacemarine troopers to spam everywhere".

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Keep the imperium factions separate.

That way you can design guard to "switch religions" between order and chaos

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    If I'm designing a 40k game in something like the Total War engine, I'm filling the map with mooks from both sides and having "my" units running around to control the tide. Basically, a musou game where you steer small armies instead of hero characters.

• Options
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    That would probably be easiest, but you'd really want the Marines to be their own faction. The DLC possibility alone = major bank.

You're right, though, in that 40k fluff, Marines aren't really armies. They're special shock troops that aide the Guard / Astra Militarum or do their own missions. I guess it'd make sense if they were rolled into the Imperium and the Chaos Marines just had cultist equivalents.

....but the DLC....

Chaos cultists aren’t the only non- Marine human forces Chaos make use of. Lost abs the Damned would make a great army in Total War. So much potential for CA to get creative.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Drukari
    Aeldari
    Sisters of Battle
    Astartes
    Chaos Space Marines
    Genestealer Cults*

Don't really do masses of troops. Hell, for Space Marines it is rare that there is more than a Company (100) in a given theater of war. Genestealers are an asterisks in that they start off very small and hidden, but when they reach a certain point it very suddenly turns in to a whole planetary population in size.

Astra Militarum
    Tau
    Tyranids
    Orks
    Chaos Cultists

They do masses of troops. Depending on the Regiment some Astra Militarum do block formations even.

To be perfectly honest and IMHO I think in order to do 40k CA would have to change so much that it probably wouldn't feel like a Total War game or not change enough and have it not feel like 40k.

I still stand by my early suspicion that they'll do Age of Sigmar. It is in their wheelhouse already. AoS itself does well, but certainly not 40k numbers so I think it would be good for GW to get that IP out there in a major game to (hopefully) bring more people in. 40k is already HUGE and doesn't really need the extra help.

Or put simply, I think a AoS Total War would likely bring more new players to AoS tabletop than a 40k Total War would to it's respective tabletop. Which is ultimately GW's only concern.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »
    Drukari
    Aeldari
    Sisters of Battle
    Astartes
    Chaos Space Marines
    Genestealer Cults*

Don't really do masses of troops. Hell, for Space Marines it is rare that there is more than a Company (100) in a given theater of war. Genestealers are an asterisks in that they start off very small and hidden, but when they reach a certain point it very suddenly turns in to a whole planetary population in size.

All of those, bar Genestealer Cults, can be handled the way they did High Elves - and how they handled them in the tabletop games which have the same concerns. Unit sizes, weapons, stats, army abilities.

Genestealer Cults absolutely can do masses of troops. It's not 0-60 from 'small and hidden' to 'planetary occupation'. They just gradually infect more and more of the population. But once they're at the point of fighting, there's plenty of them. There's a reason the tabletop army has so many hidden deployment and reinforcement rules - they just keep coming our of the tunnels and sewers in huge numbers.

They're basically Skaven.

You're right that Total War 40k wouldn't feel like a normal Total War game, because normal Total War games are based on block formations mashing in the middle of the battlefield.

But a 40k Total War, as in a 40k game with a large strategic overmap where you move armies around, and battlefield tactical battles of varying sizes can absolutely work.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I'm just saying we may as well ask for a new Dawn of War instead.

Cause if the game isn't going to be like Total War but also not like 40k then who is it going to be for?

If you make too many changes one way or another you will just alienate people.

If they want to tackle 40k they may be better served starting a new IP. Maybe one designed to focus on "modern" combat sensibilities. I use modern in quotes to simply refer to the type of combat where company or squad level actions, ranged doctrine and cover are paramount as opposed Total War's traditional hundred man formations with spears smashing in to each other on an open field.

edit- Now that I think about it, Wargame: 40k is probably what you should shoot for.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I've seen enough "masses of dudes mushing up against one another" Warhammer art pieces to know that WH40k could fit into the Total War design mindset just fine. All the issues that have come up are solvable problems and remind me of the occasional person you'd come across on the internet who would go to lengths explaining how WHFB couldn't be done justice in a Total War game before that was ever announced.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    It's a damn shame they didn't continue that franchise after DoW2.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Model marines as monstrous infantry. Maybe make a medium class unit.

Play with unit sizes like 20-30 for squads

• Options

Cause if the game isn't going to be like Total War but also not like 40k then who is it going to be for?

If you make too many changes one way or another you will just alienate people.

If they want to tackle 40k they may be better served starting a new IP. Maybe one designed to focus on "modern" combat sensibilities. I use modern in quotes to simply refer to the type of combat where company or squad level actions, ranged doctrine and cover are paramount as opposed Total War's traditional hundred man formations with spears smashing in to each other on an open field.

edit- Now that I think about it, Wargame: 40k is probably what you should shoot for.

To be fair, Warhammer Total War isn't much like Warhammer Fantasy Battles or Total War either, outside of both games using blocks of infantry and a turn based meta map, and yet it's attracted a bigger fanbase than any other Total War game.

What it does is give Warhammer fans battles as they always imagined them. Huge fights between thousands of individual models, monsters that actually charge in and rip things to peices rather than hide from cannons behind a building, lords that stand in the thick of battle against a tide of grunts. It's the fluff stories in the books come to life.

That's all a 40k total war would need to be. Obviously reign in some of the more absurd fluff, but give a 40k player a real time mass battle defending a strongpoint against an overwhelmingly large Tyranid force, Astra Militarum fighting off endless waves of Orks who are literally dropping asteroids on the planet around them, you know the awesome battles that they read about and see the awesome set up photos but never have the money or time to put together themselves, and they'll eat it up.

As mentioned already, Total War already has had (and will have in Warhammer 3) occupiable structures. Total War has hugely powerful single entity units. Total War has units that are vehicles, of a sort.

A 40k game wouldn't need many changes over what Total War already does. More focus on occupiable terrain like trench lines and ruined buildings, no block formations - but deiniftely units organised into units, think more long the lines of most units being in Skirmish mode, and a reworked meta map to be more of a galactic scale. Some units would even benefit from block formations - Astra Militarum can (or could last time I read one of their army books) have their infantry form up into firing ranks ala Zulu for sustained fire by ranks.

And again, if you think 40k players would be averse to more structured battles, I again bring up Final Liberation, which is pretty highly regarded still, and was basically a recreation of Epic 40,000, which was massive battles that literally looked like tabletop Total War.

I think 40k players would be pretty happy with a 40k Total War, even if it went with squads bing a bit square in their formation.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Okay, but if they do make Total War Warhammer 40k, will they have the guts to make Titans a reality?

• Options
    Okay, but if they do make Total War Warhammer 40k, will they have the guts to make Titans a reality?

Warhounds are defiitely possible - they're not really that big or tough and don't pack much more firepower than super heavy tanks, and most races have equivalents available - Heirophants (these used to be Reaver power level, but the most recent revision really knocked them down a bunch of pegs), Revenants, Stompas, etc.

Reaver starts getting into the 'will wipe out an army by itself' power levels, and Warlords and Imperators would need to be strictly in Titan vs Titan combat so as not to invalidate infantry.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

I mean I think that'd be the thing, right? Like Total War can do scale really well, they've proven that with Warhammer. Titans and Dreadnoughts and various beasties, individual Space Marines functioning as hero units, wading through hundreds of tyranids like a late-game Lu Bu. I can see some of it translating pretty easily

The issue is just that there's a lot of ranged combat in 40k and I think they're still not confident that their game design, which they developed for ancient warfare, can work well with primarily ranged combat. I mean, I like Fall of the Samurai quite a bit, but Empire is... well it struggles!

Like they'd have to bend the lore of 40k over backwards to make their particular style of gameplay work, and I think they're less willing to do that because they figure (probably rightly) that the hardcore fans won't like it, and they doubt it will attract enough casual fans to be a proper hit

All that being said I'd still love to see them try! But I can absolutely understand their reluctance, I wouldn't wanna take a swing that big and whiff either

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    40k has a lot of ranged firepower, but it absolutely ends up in close combat. Units are just a bit more mobile than infantry blocks - again, like skirmish units in Total War Warhammer. Ranged is generally more of a 'soften them up before they get to you/you launch your own charge'.

There's a reason your huge dreadnought with a missile launcher on it's carapace, arm mounted rotary cannon and anti infantry machine gun firing explosive rounds also packs a huge honking power fist.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Fall of the Samurai was also released three years AFTER Empire: Total War, hence the stark quality difference.

I have faith they'd do a good Epic 40K game.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    40k has a lot of ranged firepower, but it absolutely ends up in close combat. Units are just a bit more mobile than infantry blocks - again, like skirmish units in Total War Warhammer. Ranged is generally more of a 'soften them up before they get to you/you launch your own charge'.

There's a reason your huge dreadnought with a missile launcher on it's carapace, arm mounted rotary cannon and anti infantry machine gun firing explosive rounds also packs a huge honking power fist.

These people carry chainsaw swords. They want to wind up in close combat even when they don't need to.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »

These people carry chainsaw swords. They want to wind up in close combat even when they don't need to.

There's no better way to despatch a heretic than with the teeth of a Chainsword.

Except maybe a flame thrower.

But why stop there? You can do it with a chainswordflamethrower!

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

There's no better way to despatch a heretic than with the teeth of a Chainsword.

I don't know what that weapon is called in-universe, but when Darktide comes out I need it.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options

I don't know what that weapon is called in-universe, but when Darktide comes out I need it.

In true 40k fashion, there is no subtlety.

It’s an Eviscerator.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    The Redemptionists (pictured) also make heavy use of single-shot flamethrowers called "exterminators" because again, subtlety is not a word in their dictionary. And really who wouldn't want to put an Exterminator on their Eviscerator?

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Just make 30k Total War. Holy Terra acts like Rome did back in R:TW, you control one of the space marine legions, The Mechanicum Taghmata, or a purely human army and go conquer stuff in the name of the Emperor. You try to balance your expansion with building up those worlds that you've conquered and then eventually the Heresy Pops.

• Options
    Ugh no. 30k is so boring, just marines, marines and marines. Also no Tyranids because it’s ten thousand years too early.

• Options
    Lets not forget that 40k is first and foremost a tabletop game. A 40k Total War game would be pretty easy to adapt from that. The most complicated and detailed 40k maps are MAYBE 4m^2 and have a hundred or so models a side. At it's simplest, they could 3d scan a bunch of tournament 40k maps or just use the 3d models they were already based on. There's a fair bit of verticality to 40k maps but TW maps are getting more of that with Warhammer 3. Being able to toggle flight could easily be applied to a unit of space marines to get around the map. Those massive map structures could actually have use as map strongholds. Warhammer has shown that CA can do massive single units.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    30K does let you bring in the extinct races and human civilizations that the Empire wiped out.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    In my headcanon, The God Emperor of Mankind is Karl Franz

I think more highly of Karl Franz than that.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    In my headcanon, The God Emperor of Mankind is Karl Franz

I think more highly of Karl Franz than that.

I'd like to see you maintain your perspective and moral compass being alive-ish for 40,000 years.

• Options
    But which role did he take on first.

No reason to assume that the 40k reality comes after the Warhammer Fantasy reality.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Slaanesh's special currency is 'Devotees' (à la Khorne's Skulls, Tzeentch's Grimoires, and Nurgle's Infections). They also have a 'Seduction' mechanic, which lets you forcibly vassalize other factions, and 'Gifts of Slaanesh', which can be imparted onto enemy lords by beating them in battle (or Hero Action!) to give them negative effects.

There's also a couple screenshots - nothing really new. Except one that shows the background of the Slaanesh battle map, and it seems to be based on the Marcher Fortress from the original Realm of Chaos: Slaves to Darkness book.

73ca09a629i3.jpg
    ef0444414b31af48baf03da865f6cc7c--ink-illustrations-fantasy-illustration.jpg
    There, the lands of Slaanesh stretched before it, was a Fortress of whimsies and foibles. It was an unlovely thing, stained by war and victory. Its towers, higher than any palace, wounded the sky. Its gateways were gaping maws that could swallow and vomit whole armies. Its walls were darkened stone, veined in unnatural colours and streaked with rotten lime and mortar. Here, at the Marches of Slaanesh, was the Fortress, a sign of sovereignty, hated and comdemned by Khorne's bloody-handed worshippers.

Before the Fortress gates stretched a forest of death. From the walls to the near horizon was the dismal wrack of battle: corpses, the rusted swords and armour of the fallen, the standards of Slaanesh and Khorne, all abandoned and long forgotten centuries ago.

The graves of the fallen had become a rich loam, sucked upon by the trees of a dark forest. Pierced by tree roots, the dead had stirred once more, and each branch bore a skull, mildewed and pregnant with loathing, a macabre and cruel cargo. Only the ceaseless, horrendous laughter of the trapped shades disturbed the field. Their fleshless jaws clattering in the still air; the only reply the creaking of a windmill's sails and the grinding of its stone.

For in the shadow of the castle a windmill turned, its sails moving in the still air, and their unclean breeze stirred the tattered flags of the dead. Within, the grindstone shuddered and groaned, while between, pinioned and crushed, were the living corpses of the fallen, ground to make a rich mortar of blood and bone, sinew and brains. Thus was the Fortress maintained and strengthened, its walls held aloft and marked by the power of mortality. Thus was the field before it harvested.

And in the castle's mighty halls, its Daemon overlords feasted and broke bread, in conscious parody of mans small amenities...

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Lets not forget that 40k is first and foremost a tabletop game. A 40k Total War game would be pretty easy to adapt from that. The most complicated and detailed 40k maps are MAYBE 4m^2 and have a hundred or so models a side. At it's simplest, they could 3d scan a bunch of tournament 40k maps or just use the 3d models they were already based on. There's a fair bit of verticality to 40k maps but TW maps are getting more of that with Warhammer 3. Being able to toggle flight could easily be applied to a unit of space marines to get around the map. Those massive map structures could actually have use as map strongholds. Warhammer has shown that CA can do massive single units.

Someone has never heard of floorhammer…

This discussion has been closed.