As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Total War] Immortal Empires arrives in August 23rd! Southlands Showdown Awaits!

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I was imagining the big map as a just what we they showed with the Southlands + Bretonia added and Naggarond, Lustria and Ulthuan on the top with the point of rotation at the north pole. Armies crossing it will just teleport to the other side. Not sure that'd work though.

danx on
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Watched a more in-depth video on Tzeentch units. Think I did figure out what the Chaos Spawn are for, they apparently sunder armor. Not sure if that will make them worthwhile, but combined with warpflame’s armor debuff I wonder if that’ll help compensate for the sparse armor-piercing options in the roster. Though their second level army ability is Bolt of Change (suppose that’s why it’s missing from Lore of Tzeentch) and all of it’s damage is armor piercing and it sunders armor. One other curious thing is the Doom Knights might be the only pole-arm units in the game that don’t get anti-large. Maybe there’s others I’m forgetting. Not a big deal since they seem to perform very well.

Does feel like the army is designed with some zany-ass combos in mind. Like even when fighting Khorne with heavy armor and spell-resistance, you can have an Iridescent Horror drop Pink Fire to hit them with warp flame and then activate it’s AoE ranged-damage buff. Then have a Cultist cast Flaming Sword of Rhuin on your Pink Horrors and trigger map-wide fire vulnerability and then light up the enemy with your massively enhanced Pink Horrors. Toss in Bolt of Change if you need the extra armor damage and sundering.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    Playing a Lokhir Fellheart campaign on the vortex at the moment. I'd forgotten how useless the Feral Manticore is. It gets hit by tiny amount of enemy fire then rampages and suicides into enemy missile troops. Kills like 10 troops then routes. If it didn't rampage it might be a good unit but the only units with that ability that are good are tanky units like anything Lizardmen. Most other unit with that ability or primal instincts are trash.

I transferred Lokhirs units to his black ark, disbanded him on turn 1, and am now pirating the seas. It's way more fun than grinding Lustria. Gimme that booty!

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Norsca = Evil stepmother levels of neglect. Have had some level of work done, but at least their campaign is more viable and fun to play than warriors chaos. Also, they have mammoths.

Norsca felt more like ‘we just read Monstrous Arcanum and these Forgeworld units are awesome, quick let’s use a bunch!’

-Loki- on
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Video detailing Tzeentchs roster and available magic.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnf3VKf3gnU

1. Glean magic is more about the power recharge than any magic reserves. Does not seem like a powerhouse. Spend 8 mana to steal 2.3 mana (lol) and gain 80% power recharge (-40% for him).
    2. Plenty of ranged firepower (and magic), but the only unit that seems really capable of melee are the doom knights, chaos knights of tzeentch and the Lord of Change. Although blue horrors have large numbers and Exalted pink horrors have both a decent sized healthpool and decent firepower (but aren't Sisters of Avalorn material). Still, they can probably do some bogging so that you can set up a flanking attack with cavalry or flamers (or drop massive magic attacks).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    The foresaken's melee defense seems low, but if you can cycle properly, they are probably could for bogging as well.

Also, that Barrier is going to be fucking annoying.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/m68lE6uXDIg

Tzeentch gameplay versus Cathay. Firestorm of Tzeentch does much better than I anticipated, and between Arcane Surge and Kairos' various items he can sling a lot of spells very quickly. And Tzeentch's special army ability gauge fills very fast from spellcasting.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Threw Warhammer 2 on my new PC to run the benchmarks. My laptop was barely doing 40fps on Medium-High at 1440p. New PC on Ultra and 1440p averaged 98 in the Skaven battle (with two obvious dips down to about 40-50 when it zoomed right in) and about 110fps on the battle benchmark with a few low dips again when it zoomed in.

Much happier. Bring on Warhammer 3.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    At least it seems like pre-order factions are getting more and more love in each new iteration.

Warriors of Chaos = The abandoned child in the street of Total warhammer. Did receive some work-up to make them remotely playable. Still the worst faction.
    Norsca = Evil stepmother levels of neglect. Have had some level of work done, but at least their campaign is more viable and fun to play than warriors chaos. Also, they have mammoths.
    Ogre Kingdoms = Interesting mechanics and almost their entire roster. Short on legendary lords, but that might just be to open up for future DLC/FLCs featuring lords+units (like yheetees).

As someone who is late to these games. Can you purchase the pre-order factions after the fact?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    It's something of a pity that Warriors of Chaos were released (and I believe, rushed?) in game 1. Because of that, they'll always be stuck in a sort of limbo where they could use an overhaul, but can't be remade from the ground up. It's also a bit awkward that while WH3 revolves around the new chaos factions and their invasion of various realms... Archaeon, who was the big chaos threat to the world, is just kinda sitting there in a half broken WH1 faction. I can only imagine what WoC would be like if they were introducing them as a new faction/DLC for WH3.

I hope they do something to keep them relevant. They've already confirmed that there will be WoC factions with actual settlements, so maybe they are planning something.

altid on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    It's something of a pity that Warriors of Chaos were released (and I believe, rushed?) in game 1. Because of that, they'll always be stuck in a sort of limbo where they could use an overhaul, but can't be remade from the ground up. It's also a bit awkward that while WH3 revolves around the new chaos factions and their invasion of various realms... Archaeon, who was the big chaos threat to the world, is just kinda sitting there in a half broken WH1 faction. I can only imagine what WoC would be like if they were introducing them as a new faction/DLC for WH3.

I hope they do something to keep them relevant. They've already confirmed that there will be WoC factions with actual settlements, so maybe they are planning something.

There have been mentions of Chaos Warriors occupying cities, so they've been doing something

• Options
    Speaking of the Warriors of Chaos recently I've read more than a few people claim that Warriors of Chaos wasn't initially planned and there was outcry about it so CA rushed to get something together but the only outcry I remember from back then was Chaos being base game content hacked off for a preorder bonus. I vividly recall the latter but is the former a thing that actually happened? They were definitely rushed out uncooked, not doubting that.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    danx wrote: »
    Speaking of the Warriors of Chaos recently I've read more than a few people claim that Warriors of Chaos wasn't initially planned and there was outcry about it so CA rushed to get something together but the only outcry I remember from back then was Chaos being base game content hacked off for a preorder bonus. I vividly recall the latter but is the former a thing that actually happened? They were definitely rushed out uncooked, not doubting that.

WH1 was panned with only 4 races (as that's all they had resources for), and chaos wasn't one of them. Chaos was always planned to have a bigger role 'later in the trilogy'. The devs decided they wanted Chaos in the game as an 'endgame event' for players to deal with, but not as a playable race. In the context of WH1 being the first entry this made a lot of sense - Chaos are pretty integral to the setting after all. It wasn't certain that the game would be a success, so best to include the more 'well known' aspects of WH as soon as possible. The problem was they didn't have the funding to add them just as an AI faction for the main game - but they did have funding available for DLC. Thus Warriors of Chaos got expanded into and released as a fully playable DLC (given away as a pre-order incentive). Unfortunately none of this stopped the PR nightmare over supposed 'cut content' at the time, but it did prompt them to detail all of this here:

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/164869/total-war-warhammer-dev-blog-chaos-warriors-pre-orders-and-dlc/p1

altid on
  • Options
    edited November 2021

They absolutely could revamp them. Probably waaaaay down the list though. There's a few units they could add, a couple more Lords. They should keep them Undivided though. Potenitally move Sigvald to Slaanesh when they add Valkia and other God specific Warrior lords to the new Chaos factions, and give Warriors of Chaos a few moree Undivided lords.

It would be far more work than they've given a race pack, but with so much Chaos focus with Warhammer 3, I could see them doing it.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

They absolutely could revamp them. Probably waaaaay down the list though. There's a few units they could add, a couple more Lords. They should keep them Undivided though. Potenitally move Sigvald to Slaanesh when they add Valkia and other God specific Warrior lords to the new Chaos factions, and give Warriors of Chaos a few moree Undivided lords.

It would be far more work than they've given a race pack, but with so much Chaos focus with Warhammer 3, I could see them doing it.

I actually think Chaos Revamp is probably closer instead of farther away. We know there are Chaos factions around around that are not tied to the four chaos campaigns (one called the Dreaded Wo was mentioned in on of the Kairos blogs) so I would suspect that they are already prototyping a Chaos revamp and will just slot the OG lords into it somewhere down the line.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    WH1 was panned with only 4 races (as that's all they had resources for), and chaos wasn't one of them. Chaos was always planned to have a bigger role 'later in the trilogy'. The devs decided they wanted Chaos in the game as an 'endgame event' for players to deal with, but not as a playable race. In the context of WH1 being the first entry this made a lot of sense - Chaos are pretty integral to the setting after all. It wasn't certain that the game would be a success, so best to include the more 'well known' aspects of WH as soon as possible. The problem was they didn't have the funding to add them just as an AI faction for the main game - but they did have funding available for DLC. Thus Warriors of Chaos got expanded into and released as a fully playable DLC (given away as a pre-order incentive). Unfortunately none of this stopped the PR nightmare over supposed 'cut content' at the time, but it did prompt them to detail all of this here:

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/164869/total-war-warhammer-dev-blog-chaos-warriors-pre-orders-and-dlc/p1

Yeah that's how I remembered it going down, not this community outrage lead the devs to add Chaos story that's going around.

The quality of the stuff we've seen for Warhammer 3 so far gives me hope they can do Warriors of Chaos justice if they do rework them at some point. The game is so different now compared to what it was. Warhammer 1 dlc that hasn't been reworked yet has aged pretty poorly, even Norsca.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »

I actually think Chaos Revamp is probably closer instead of farther away. We know there are Chaos factions around around that are not tied to the four chaos campaigns (one called the Dreaded Wo was mentioned in on of the Kairos blogs) so I would suspect that they are already prototyping a Chaos revamp and will just slot the OG lords into it somewhere down the line.

Yeah, Dreaded Wo and the Hung clan would fit in nicely as a new Warriors of Chaos legendary Lord to go along with a general WOC revamp. In lore, he hangs out in the Chaos wastes between Cathay and the New World and raids them both.

• Options
    The most disappointing possibility would be transforming Chaos Warriors into the Chaos Undivided faction, but I don't think that's particularly likely.

• Options
    With the huge Chaos focus, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Norsca also get two more Lords to bring them up to 4. Plus I’m sure there’s some more obscure Chaos marauder type units they could add.

• Options
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Interesting: that video mentions Fire and Metal Alchemists. I wonder if that's a mistake (as the roster revealed only mentioned Alchemists having the Lore of Metal) or if they've changed it.

//

On Chaos: my hope is that they allow certain lords to straddle certain Races in the Campaign Select screens and have dynamic starts on the map. (It appears from Kairos' blog that you now choose which Race you want to play, and then you get to select which Legendary Lord's Faction you'll be. We also know that Chaos Warriors can now settle the map.)

ie. on the menu you could choose:
    • Khorne -> Skarbrand the Exile, Valkia the Bloody, U'Zhul Skulltaker, Arbaal the Undefeated.
    • Tzeentch -> Kairos Fateweaver, Vilitch the Curseling, Blue Scribes, Egrimm van Horstmann.
    • Nurgle -> Ku'Gath Plaguefather, Festus Leechlord, Epidemius the Tallyman, Tamurkhan the Maggot Lord.
    • Slaanesh -> N'Kari, Sigvald the Magnificent, The Masque, Dechala the Denied One.
    • Chaos Warriors -> Archaon, Kholek Suneater, Valkia the Bloody, Vilitch the Curseling, Festus Leechlord, Sigvald the Magnificent, Arbaal the Undefeated, Egrimm van Horstmann, Tamurkhan the Maggot Lord, Dechala the Denied One.
    • Chaos Daemons -> Be'lakor, Skarbrand the Exile, Kairos Fateweaver, Ku'Gath Plaguefather, N'Kari, U'Zhul Skulltaker, Blue Scribes, Epidemius the Tallyman, The Masque.

Depending on which Race your chosen starting lord was, the other lords would dynamically shift Races (for possible confederation purposes).

Alternatively, you could have dynamic confederations (like when Drycha confederates Durthu, or other Wood Elves confederate Drycha).

The problem with either of these would be that you'd have to modify the lords' red line skills, which I think is easier to do with the first solution.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    Zhao Ming might also just have expanded lores for his Alchemists since he lets them tinker and flourish.

• Options
  • Options
    I really do not like the Stonehorns running animation. It's more like a seal flopping than something that has actual functional legs.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I think you mean, it's like a walrus flopping an it's awesome. :D

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I really do not like the Stonehorns running animation. It's more like a seal flopping than something that has actual functional legs.

Why wouldn't they model it on either of the following?:
    • an elephant, since they're inspired by woolly mammoths
    • a gorilla, since that fits their wide shoulders/narrow hips body plan.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Looked gorilla-ish to me, but the body was animated a bit weirdly for it.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Probably didn't want to model it on an Elephant because they already have Mammoths in the game and they wanted something different.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    There are only so many variations on "Giant pile of muscle, fur and teeth" after all.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I dunno I think it looked right for the build it has. Something between a gorilla and a walrus.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    Won my first Oxyotl short campaign victory (LH/N) and had one of my most challenging battles so far.
    lyrp735nswmc.jpg
    Took more than one try, no idea how I managed to have noone die.
    I know Stegadons are powerful (I have used them in a few campaigns) but this battle was an extreme case.

causality.png
  • Options
    https://www.totalwar.com/blog/who-is-skrag-the-slaughterer-warhammer-3/
    How did Skrag end up quite so far-flung from his brethren and what else can you tell us about him?

Skrag is a wanderer, with no rhythm or reason or so it seems. He is led by the Great Maw, which makes him a perfect candidate for the events to come. We meet up with him around the Grey Mountains, so, far from the Ogre Kingdoms themselves, but if the nations of men are looking to the north, well, that’s an opportunity to fill that cauldron up!
    Looks like a very far start, potentially even a horde faction.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Well... from the blogs, we know that the Ogres set up their big Camps pretty much wherever they want. So less a horde, and more that they can choose where their main settlements are (normal settlements are limited).

The example of an Ogre Camp in the blog has it placed in Fort Bergbres (ie. the Gisoreux Gap, beside Marienburg) and the Big Names example was with a Hunter in the Northern Grey Mountains province. So... maybe Skrag starts with a Camp there (though you'd want to deconstruct it and move it beside Marienburg, if you're not going to chuck all the city's inhabitants into your pot).

• Options
    Well... from the blogs, we know that the Ogres set up their big Camps pretty much wherever they want. So less a horde, and more that they can choose where their main settlements are (normal settlements are limited).

The example of an Ogre Camp in the blog has it placed in Fort Bergbres (ie. the Gisoreux Gap, beside Marienburg) and the Big Names example was with a Hunter in the Northern Grey Mountains province. So... maybe Skrag starts with a Camp there (though you'd want to deconstruct it and move it beside Marienburg, if you're not going to chuck all the city's inhabitants into your pot).
    They said it raids the province, so I think you would want to set it up in Altdorf instead? The rest of the Marienburg province is prone to getting razed, so theoretically if Reikland can hold the rest of their province and build the basic income buildings it should produce more. Unless you wanted to try and buddy up with Reikland for whatever reason and don't want the relations penalties from being set up there.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    I'm really pondering getting back into this, I very much enjoyed total war Warhammer 1, but the campaign of 2 seemed to be getting lots of negative reviews etc so I never bought it. Is the verdict now that it's very solid? Does it work even if I really just want to play dwarves ;)

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    There are two campaigns. There is the Vortex Campaign which tends to focus on a more narrative and specific objectives and Mortal Empires which combines game one and two’s maps but is largely the same sort of sandbox campaign from the first game.

You could not play Dwarfs in the Vortex for a long time, but they did just add Thorek Ironbrow as a free lord in the Vortex campaign. Dwarfs also got a needed rework recently. You can also just play Mortal Empires for a similar experience to game 1.

• Options
    tbloxham wrote: »
    I'm really pondering getting back into this, I very much enjoyed total war Warhammer 1, but the campaign of 2 seemed to be getting lots of negative reviews etc so I never bought it. Is the verdict now that it's very solid? Does it work even if I really just want to play dwarves ;)

1. The dwarf FLC for Warhammer 2 is very good.
    2. The Vortex campaign specific mechanics are not super fun, but they don't ruin the game either. Warhammer 2 is just a lot better than Warhammer 1 (especially spellcasting), and if you don't want to vortex there is still Mortal Empires (the megamap) or the many DLC/FLC races. Vampire Coast, Tomb Kings, Dwarfs, Oxyotl (Lizardmen), Beastmen, Throt the Unclean (skaven) and Wood elves that do their own thing that's different (and good). Nakai and Wulfhart (hunter and the beast DLC) are ...not so good though.

• Options
    Also, to be clear, 3 comes out in February

This discussion has been closed.