Options

Various Stages of Making [Arts and Crafts]

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i've got a knit dress taht i have been working on since June 2022.

I have 3 skeins left of the planned 10.

It's literally just knitting in circles.

but i am distracting myself by doing literally *anything* else right now

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    i've got a knit dress taht i have been working on since June 2022.

I have 3 skeins left of the planned 10.

It's literally just knitting in circles.

but i am distracting myself by doing literally *anything* else right now

I'm working on a crochet dress! I am also working in eternal circles.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    The amount of sewing projects I have that are mostly finished but only have the tedious parts left so I've started other projects to do the not-tedious parts of those is not a ridiculous amount, but it is definitely an embarrassing amount....

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I can't remember the last project I completed

nm it was my desk

but I'm in a creative rut

that said, this weekend I'm taking a raku class with my wife!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    The last project I finished was this hat, which I showed in the holiday forum but not here
    u6iez9jb0lxa.jpg

I've since discovered 2 stitches I did backwards. They're under the brim so you can't see them when the hat is being worn but still, I have brought shame upon my house.

• Options
    gotta start over I'm afraid

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    The last project I finished was this hat, which I showed in the holiday forum but not here
    u6iez9jb0lxa.jpg

I've since discovered 2 stitches I did backwards. They're under the brim so you can't see them when the hat is being worn but still, I have brought shame upon my house.

Supposedly there's a knitting superstition that each item you knit must contain at least one mistake in order to allow accumulated negativity/frustration to escape. If the knitting is perfect then the bad vibes are trapped.

Now, I don't know if that's true (the existence of the tradition, I mean), but I remind myself of that fairly often :grin:

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    u6iez9jb0lxa.jpg

Supposedly there's a knitting superstition that each item you knit must contain at least one mistake in order to allow accumulated negativity/frustration to escape. If the knitting is perfect then the bad vibes are trapped.

Now, I don't know if that's true (the existence of the tradition, I mean), but I remind myself of that fairly often :grin:

the other older superstition is that 'only G-d is perfect. so mistakes show that you aren't G-d"

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Totally different field, but I always try to leave in at least one small mistake, blemish, or fuckup in any piece of furniture I make because clues that point to things being imperfect and handmade are a thing that I personally like to find. With woodworking, it sometimes feels like tips and hacks to completely hide every mistake and imperfection take up 90% of the air in any woodworking community, and I always thought that made everything a little boring.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I end up with blemishes and fuckups in my woodworking without even trying!

• Options
    Same! It's just about not hiding them all! Gotta leave a nice un-buffed out fingerprint in the finish on the underside of a drawer front or something.

• Options
    CeeCee Registered User regular
    edited February 7
    hey folks, i wanted to get a bit crafty for a get together i have planned in a couple months. we're gonna do some tabletop games and i was looking to make some cute minis for us. thinking printing out some art i've commissioned and laminating it, but i'm kind of hung up on the step after that to keep them standing - are there any good ways to go about that, like maybe bases for little figures? kind of unsure on how best to go about that since i'm assuming those are generally designed to have something solid to glue (??) and thin doodle art seems like that would be tough to do. also, is there any recommended paper to do that with? i'm an art dummy but want to make something fun for my pals to take home afterwards, thanks! :>

edit - alternately, if anyone happens to know somebody i could commission for this that would have a turnaround by the end of march. i assume that's way too early, but just in case!

Cee on
  • Options
    My initial thought would be using wargaming mini bases (basically just plastic discs) and gluing the laminated art to them by bending and creasing an L shape near the bottom to give them some gluing surface.

Alternately, you could use appropriately sized metal washers as the bases if you need more variety in sizes, and those would be easy to paint black or whatever.

• Options
    :O that would be perfect, thank you! gonna try to stop by a local hobby shop in the next few days and see what i can find, cheers!

• Options
    edited February 9
    stopped by fedex today and got some printing done :3 (pls don't look Cruor!)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/16iDiYaSlcQk-amqs7RPwsuR7vkGOBC_J/view?usp=drivesdk - also ordered some bases to put them on through a little etsy shop!
    edit - they're double-sided, too. just gotta get a good craft knife to set the little frens free, so excited

Cee on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Some bases have little slots in them ("slotta bases"). Some bases are thin enough that you can cut a slot into them.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited February 9
    Cee wrote: »
    hey folks, i wanted to get a bit crafty for a get together i have planned in a couple months. we're gonna do some tabletop games and i was looking to make some cute minis for us. thinking printing out some art i've commissioned and laminating it, but i'm kind of hung up on the step after that to keep them standing - are there any good ways to go about that, like maybe bases for little figures? kind of unsure on how best to go about that since i'm assuming those are generally designed to have something solid to glue (??) and thin doodle art seems like that would be tough to do. also, is there any recommended paper to do that with? i'm an art dummy but want to make something fun for my pals to take home afterwards, thanks! :>

edit - alternately, if anyone happens to know somebody i could commission for this that would have a turnaround by the end of march. i assume that's way too early, but just in case!

there are card stand bases. Like wargaming/tabletop gaming bases but with a holder on top instad of a slot.
    quick googe result:
    https://www.amazon.com/Translucent-Miniature-Plastic-Stands-Business/dp/B0B9Y2T22S

They were much more of thing back in the olden days. Like for monsters and other big stuff.
    Like this was what I started with before I crumbled to dust:
    5447.jpg

honovere on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

Wyloch’s armoury is the place you want to be.

https://youtu.be/VWWu9Ny8cW8?si=OmyGSqA9NeCbjS0C

• Options
    edited February 9
    honovere wrote: »

there are card stand bases. Like wargaming/tabletop gaming bases but with a holder on top instad of a slot.
    quick googe result:
    https://www.amazon.com/Translucent-Miniature-Plastic-Stands-Business/dp/B0B9Y2T22S

They were much more of thing back in the olden days. Like for monsters and other big stuff.
    Like this was what I started with before I crumbled to dust:
    5447.jpg

these are perfect - absolutely gonna pick these up, thanks much!
    Blake T wrote: »

Wyloch’s armoury is the place you want to be.

https://youtu.be/VWWu9Ny8cW8?si=OmyGSqA9NeCbjS0C

oh wow, definitely checking out this channel - this will be invaluable if/when i get into this more, thank you!

Cee on
  • Options
    I'm taking a raku graduate class with my wife!

I wish I was a better ceramist =p

• Options
    had the bases arrive really quickly and got the little pals all cut out :>
    1uhvsupidpef.jpg
    now they're ready to go on adventures!!

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    teaecuyw7e6h.jpg

New speakers, who dis?

Parts Express 'Passive Aggressive' build in Zebrawood veneer with semi gloss finish.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    making them ceramics

axbol4iy3dzt.jpg

z5oka6tmedpz.jpg

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Making two sets of canopic jars?

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Current project, a variation on the Wingspan shawl (more of a scarf IMHO but whatwver)

This is early on, I currently have 3 sections of each color and if my math is right I have enough yarn for 6 which will make the finished product quite long.

ov3kwhee5urc.jpeg

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Making two sets of canopic jars?

one for each victim!

• Options
    i'm currently fast blasting my way through this pattern

https://www.tanisfiberarts.com/products/rockitteepattern

I got some gorgeous silk weight cashmere/alpaca/silk/silver stelina from a mystery box last year and i'm pairing it with and undyed merino/linen base.

stripes just make things go faster.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Moping through a cross stitch that's taking longer than expected. Of course still looking up new patterns. ooh that one looks great, it should only take about a year to do, I'm SURE I won't get tired of it a few months in, not this time!

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    After a little over 6months of working on it and about 3700 yards of yarn, I have a completed dress:

ldsecup318na.jpg
    1w13js6zg64x.jpg

My biggest regret is not figuring out how to add pockets, which I'll definitely figure out how to do before I start on version 2. My second biggest regret is making the middle section too tight due to originally having the idea trying to make the dress supportive of my boobs so I wouldn't have to wear a bra.

I will say it's extremely soft and comfortable.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    I've ended up thinking the raglan sleeve doesn't work for my shape, goddamnit. My boobs ruin the effect. So if I do sleeves on the next one they'll have to be set-in sleeves instead, which is more work. I'll probably end up doing an entirely new design for version 2, which is annoying because I carefully wrote down all my steps on this one thinking I would reproduce it a few times.

• Options
    A circular yoke is another option as well. Other than the set in sleeves.

• Options
    A circular yoke is another option as well. Other than the set in sleeves.

Can you show me an example of what that looks like?

• Options
    I might be able to a bit later.

But all the ones I know are knitting.

Ohhhh wait hang on

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/crochet-sea-glass-tee

I don't have this one personally, but I have the knit version and it's a circular yoke

• Options
    I might be able to a bit later.

But all the ones I know are knitting.

Ohhhh wait hang on

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/crochet-sea-glass-tee

I don't have this one personally, but I have the knit version and it's a circular yoke

Ah, that's still dropped sleeve. I think I don't like how I look in a dropped sleeve, period.

• Options
    ah yup. most circular yokes are seamless for sleeves, but i can see them not being everything.

i'm still trying to find a set in sleeve pattern that i like.

are you married to crochet? If knit is an option, I think i could totally see you taking this and turning it into a dress
    https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bygone-blouse

maybe using this skirt pattern
    https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/stumble-skirt

but that's only if knitting is a thing for you.

another designer i think you might like, again knitting, is Jacqueline Cieslack
    https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/deren-tee

Deren is set in sleeves and she has a vest/tee/pullover/cardigan. the patterns come with easy adjustment worksheets for how to adjust for different busts/upper arms/etc

full disclosure, i haven't knit any of these yet.

Park Williams has only one set-in sleeve pattern, for a tee
    https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/me-oh-my-tee

also not the most size inclusive like some of her more recent designs, but the top size is for 60" bust. She's also got a few that I *think* might work for you in other ways, at least aesthetically.

• Options
    ah yup. most circular yokes are seamless for sleeves, but i can see them not being everything.

i'm still trying to find a set in sleeve pattern that i like.

are you married to crochet? If knit is an option, I think i could totally see you taking this and turning it into a dress
    https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bygone-blouse

maybe using this skirt pattern
    https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/stumble-skirt

but that's only if knitting is a thing for you.

another designer i think you might like, again knitting, is Jacqueline Cieslack
    https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/deren-tee

Deren is set in sleeves and she has a vest/tee/pullover/cardigan. the patterns come with easy adjustment worksheets for how to adjust for different busts/upper arms/etc

full disclosure, i haven't knit any of these yet.

Park Williams has only one set-in sleeve pattern, for a tee
    https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/me-oh-my-tee

also not the most size inclusive like some of her more recent designs, but the top size is for 60" bust. She's also got a few that I *think* might work for you in other ways, at least aesthetically.

Thanks for the recommends, but I'll most likely do what I did for the first dress: Mess around until I figure out what I want. Mostly because I am not a fan of the patterns I see anywhere.

Luckily I've done a lot of sewing in my past, so creating a sleeve from scratch isn't that daunting. I just liked the idea of being able to make something without seams.

I already own this pattern: https://www.etsy.com/listing/783879381/pattern-gathered-crochet-crop-top

And the creator made that design so that you can easily size it to any size. I'd just change the strings to wider bands and add a sleeve, then extend it down to a skirt.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I wanted to make a simple tailoring ham and I wanted both convex and concave curves to use for ironing the scye where the sleeve meets the body

kf927pmhcj4a.jpg

I didn't know it was gonna come off like that

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Awesome'd for making your own tools :)

Does it need more stuffing? I haven't seen many tailoring hams, but I thought they were pretty firm.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    He's fully erect, it's a permanent curve.

The edges around the seam aren't going to lie flat, it's made out of muslin that has no stretch at all.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Finished my daughter's boom box. Housed in a 50 cal ammo box, parts and design from Parts Express as usual.

n4b1nl2ag8f1.jpg
    va6ykimwg5wk.jpg
    cn7og1o215ih.jpg
    edh1mqd99oj3.jpg
    ywgthpxcadmi.jpg

I am in the business of saving lives.