As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Various Stages of Making [Arts and Crafts]

1343536373840»

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    I'm firing a bunch of raku pieces tomorrow! I hope they turn out better than the last 10

• Options
    they aaaaallllllll came out like shit

boooooo

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    You know how, when you have a project, you do all the stuff that's hard work but fun.

And then you do all the stuff that's not hard work, it's not fun, but it is work.

And then all you're left with is the stuff that is hard work? But you can also see the end of the project. But there's still minor mountain between you and the end.

So anyway, I started procrastinating...

I ended up procrastinating so hard, I started and finished an entirely different project.

Including pushing through that projects the-work-that's-just-work phase.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yesterday was a good knitting day.

I bound off the hem of my shirt, then picked up and bound off the neckline, then picked up the first sleeve, added some length, and started binding that off.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Last year for Easter I hand carved a puzzle for my daughter for a puzzle for her to do. It was Way Too Much Work.

This year I printed my picture on a sheet of paper, used some spray adhesive to stick it to some cardstock and I put it in a laser cutter and just found a puzzle piece generator to make a dxf path and made the entire thing with like twenty minutes of work and it looked approximately one million times better.

Anyone have a better suggestion for attaching the cardstock to the paper though, it can still be a bit inconsistent with the adhesion.

• Options
    elmers spray glue should work pretty well!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Laser etch the picture into some 1/16th plywood and then just cut the plywood.

• Options
    edited March 25
    My wife is finishing up her MA in ceramics next year and I'm putting together a bunch of handmade ceramics tools for both her and some of her class and professors. I've been in a pretty huge crafting slump lately and it's nice that these are actually working out

h05t776bjytv.jpg

raolbq6u64b5.jpg

43tvfm9xh4q4.jpg

zy1stxjt3tka.jpg

v3p3bqnv73rj.jpg

2w41ayyixlp7.jpg

all tools that will come into direct contact with clay are mullberry. tools with handles will be holly or possibly spalted hawthorn

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

Yeah plywood has some drawbacks. Firstly cost (not that important) secondly it’s not in colour which is important for kids but the main one is for younger kids cardstock is important because it’s got that tiny bit of give and let’s them push in the pieces more easily.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »

Yeah plywood has some drawbacks. Firstly cost (not that important) secondly it’s not in colour which is important for kids but the main one is for younger kids cardstock is important because it’s got that tiny bit of give and let’s them push in the pieces more easily.

oh honestly I was completely joking, doing a kid-friendly puzzle that way would be a real tough ask. And etching is really slow.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited March 26
    Question for woodworking people: so for a while now I've wanted to get a bandsaw, but I figured I need to get at least 14" so as to not outgrow it in a month. I haven't yet because all the bandsaws in that size range start at $1300, and I am generally skittish about spending that much. So every now and then I go to craigslist and see if anyone is selling an old bandsaw from one of the quality brands to see if I can get one cheaper. Well I didn't find a cheaper 14" bandsaw, I found this:

w229muid2h6g.png

30" is obviously way oversized for a DIYer but... am I insane for still wanting to buy it? It seems like Tannewitz is a well-respected company and their bandsaws in this size go for way, way more than this based on a quick internet search. The main issue is making room for the fucking thing - though we have a 2-car garage and only one car, we still have a lot of shit from our move that's just tucked in the garage and needs to be organized before I could fit this monster in there. I'd also hire a bulky dude to bring a friend to move it for me (I know just the dude, I met him during our last move and I've already paid him a couple of times to move heavy items for me)

Still it seems extremely tempting?! Someone talk me out of it. Or into it.

Edit: No, no, I probably shouldn't get it. I just get hung up on "what a steal!" when I see shit like this. This feels like the kind of deal that only comes around once so I want to seize it, but hell, when will I ever need a 30" band saw? I'm sure when I ask Strikor about it he'll talk me down as well.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I mean… I’m sure it’s a solid tool, but “overkill” may be underselling it. Even as a semi-professional woodworker, this would be the single largest tool I’ve ever used. I’d also have my doubts about 2-3 people even being able to move it. My 12” bandsaw is like, a quarter the size of that thing and takes two full grown humans a lot of effort and a lot of cursing to move.

Honestly, I’d strongly recommend just keeping the search on. Check FB Marketplace regularly and you’re bound to find a more reasonable option. When I originally got mine I had been checking daily for about 2 weeks and finally found one for $250. 14” models were more common, but closer to $500 and I wanted to be cheap and get something a little more compact.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited March 26
    Also, blades for a monster like that will be pretty fucking intense. That’s probably like a 17 foot blade? Those will likely run $200+

Extremely good blades for my 12” Dela are like $35.

And god knows how much a tire costs for that thing if you need to replace one.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited March 26
    I mean… I’m sure it’s a solid tool, but “overkill” may be underselling it. Even as a semi-professional woodworker, this would be the single largest tool I’ve ever used. I’d also have my doubts about 2-3 people even being able to move it. My 12” bandsaw is like, a quarter the size of that thing and takes two full grown humans a lot of effort and a lot of cursing to move.

Honestly, I’d strongly recommend just keeping the search on. Check FB Marketplace regularly and you’re bound to find a more reasonable option. When I originally got mine I had been checking daily for about 2 weeks and finally found one for $250. 14” models were more common, but closer to $500 and I wanted to be cheap and get something a little more compact.

The annoying thing about the items I want that are in my price range is that on the second hand market here in DFW, there are too many people who are like, "This is just like new, so I'm only offering $50 less than buying it new." At which point I'm like, I'd rather just buy it new so I get the 1 year (or whatever it is) guarantee by the manufacturer. It's only when super pricy shit like the above comes out that the owner is willing to give deep discounts. But yeah, I'll keep looking.

Edit: Also, for anyone who actually is a professional woodworker and near enough to DFW to make it worth it, here's the listing:

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/tls/d/denton-assorted-woodworking-machinery/7721947950.html

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    XaquIndustries =p

q7vhu36htsbc.jpg

next step will be to fill the stamped letters with blue epoxy, sand them to 320 or 400 and add 5 or so coats of beeswax and tung oil!

• Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Question for woodworking people: so for a while now I've wanted to get a bandsaw, but I figured I need to get at least 14" so as to not outgrow it in a month. I haven't yet because all the bandsaws in that size range start at $1300, and I am generally skittish about spending that much. So every now and then I go to craigslist and see if anyone is selling an old bandsaw from one of the quality brands to see if I can get one cheaper. Well I didn't find a cheaper 14" bandsaw, I found this:

w229muid2h6g.png

30" is obviously way oversized for a DIYer but... am I insane for still wanting to buy it? It seems like Tannewitz is a well-respected company and their bandsaws in this size go for way, way more than this based on a quick internet search. The main issue is making room for the fucking thing - though we have a 2-car garage and only one car, we still have a lot of shit from our move that's just tucked in the garage and needs to be organized before I could fit this monster in there. I'd also hire a bulky dude to bring a friend to move it for me (I know just the dude, I met him during our last move and I've already paid him a couple of times to move heavy items for me)

Edit: No, no, I probably shouldn't get it. I just get hung up on "what a steal!" when I see shit like this. This feels like the kind of deal that only comes around once so I want to seize it, but hell, when will I ever need a 30" band saw? I'm sure when I ask Strikor about it he'll talk me down as well.

My reverse question is why do you think you need such a large throat size? Do you really see yourself resawing boards all the time to justify a 14 inch bandsaw? Additionally if you do, there’s a strong argument for having two bandsaws anyway because you can have a small blade of the smaller one for tighter turns and a larger with a bigger blade for resawing and you don’t have mess around with swapping blades.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Went to friends house this weekend. He's got a huge full on woodshop on the property.

He wanted to do a small project with hubby while we were there, and I wanted a blocking board for me crochet and knitting squares for blankets etc

So, the guys made one up for me out of some gorgeous Oak, drilled 180 holes in the drill press, sanded it down super smooth, routed the edges, and finished it with some Danish Oil.

I'm so excited to actually start blocking my stuff now

• Options
    that is awesome! got a pic?

• Options
    edited March 30
    Blake T wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »

w229muid2h6g.png

My reverse question is why do you think you need such a large throat size? Do you really see yourself resawing boards all the time to justify a 14 inch bandsaw? Additionally if you do, there’s a strong argument for having two bandsaws anyway because you can have a small blade of the smaller one for tighter turns and a larger with a bigger blade for resawing and you don’t have mess around with swapping blades.

My choices from looking around as a hobbyist seem to be 10" or 14". I wouldn't mind a 12" (which I haven't found as a saw that gets made?), but everything I've read says you outgrow 10" basically immediately. Also while it might be cool to have two bandsaws, I need to start with one first, and the more seemingly-universal size seems the better choice.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    that is awesome! got a pic?

Of the project or the shop? Lol jk i have both

The Shop, exterior
    interior featuring my Hubby, lovingly using the drill press to drill 180 holes, and the new Rabbit Hutch that they're building for the kids
    And then the wall of French Cleats and handcrafted cabinetry
    dteggtz0wkbw.jpg
    50c2ovq6f1bq.jpg
    yoicmfd7wxct.jpg

The project!
    both without proof of concept and then with.
    sk1khmjt0fw9.jpg

The concept of 'blocking' your knits and crochet objects is to relax the fibres and open the fabric up to what it will look like when finished.
    Using bamboo skewers (until i get proper galvanised threads or nails or something) you can see the difference between the 2 granny squares and what a difference it will make to a 'finished' object.
    nb0uan3jhh2o.jpg

• Options
  • Options
    my sculpting tools look so good!!

coexj2np08t3.jpg

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    You know how, when you have a project, you do all the stuff that's hard work but fun.

And then you do all the stuff that's not hard work, it's not fun, but it is work.

And then all you're left with is the stuff that is hard work? But you can also see the end of the project. But there's still minor mountain between you and the end.

So anyway, I started procrastinating...

I ended up procrastinating so hard, I started and finished an entirely different project.

Including pushing through that projects the-work-that's-just-work phase.

Nuts. The cards came back from the printer and everything ranges from "a tad too small" to "un-fucking-readable", so now I have to redo the entire design.

fhh866sziraq.pngb13mmpo8x7qy.png

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
  • Options
    i have started the final colour on my dress hem!

I've decided to do lace!

It's going so much faster than knitting in giant circle

Lace uses so much more yarn than standard knitting.

but i should be able to get maybe 5 repeats of the lace and then bind off.

• Options
    Meanwhile, I finished a thing and got it blocking today

gfuce8qm165o.jpg

And kitty immediately tried to help

rt1ze7qx9dup.jpg
    vobsc4sabrnn.jpg

He's lucky he's cute.

• Options
    it's amazing the things you can accomplish when you take time off work.....

Finished the body of my knit dress last night
    73oe69816fua.jpg

the hem at least will need blocking because it's lace

and now I'm working on the sleeves. One at a time though, so i can figure out my plan.

• Options
    that is incredible!

As someone who knit about 30% of a potholder that was like 6" at the start and 12" wide by the end, that amazes me!

• Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    I did a woodworking! Well I finished something I started months ago after many many weekends of "I'll do some woodwork this weekend...oh look it's Monday again".

4unxc4hug0dg.jpg
    imieregz2nxy.jpg
    ukiukv77k8wr.jpg

Up until now open red wine has lived on the worktop with a square of kitchen roll underneath to catch stray drops. Wanted something a bit more elegant and the elephant corkscrew is very top heavy and tips over at the drop of a hat so we've got a little enclosure as well.

All hand tools (in the kitchen as I don't have a shed (for now)), the wood is from a pack of hardwood offcuts I got off eBay, a mix of oak, ash, maple, and beech. Not sure which one I used and I'm not very good at IDing wood species. Finished with beeswax.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I was just scrolling the threads and read the title as "various stages of martial [arts and crafts] and I think you need to change the thread title now lol