As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Our [house] in the middle of our house

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    That picture puts something into perspective for me: GFs parents completely remodeled the house 7 years ago before they started renting it, so once we get past the immediate repairs, it should be really nice. Like, all the walls are solid, the floors are level, the layout is good...

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    are we .... accomplices to something now?

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Xaquin wrote: »
    are we .... accomplices to something now?

Be cool Xaquin

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    I'm cool I'm cool no cops!

• Options
    sxi23ek2sr1z.jpg

Does anyone know what this is? There are two of them hanging in the stairs to the basement. They're full of liquid and there are yellow... beads? at the top.

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I'm cool I'm cool no cops!

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Delzhand wrote: »
    sxi23ek2sr1z.jpg

Does anyone know what this is? There are two of them hanging in the stairs to the basement. They're full of liquid and there are yellow... beads? at the top.

They soak up moisture in the house.

Magell on
  • Options
    Thank you! They look like a commercial product so I figured it was something like that. If they absorb moisture these ones look pretty well depleted, so I guess I can get rid of them.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Magell wrote: »
    sxi23ek2sr1z.jpg

Interesting, I have never heard of this stuff before. I presume this is what they look like when not depleted? The product photo is really confusing since it makes it look like they come with water, but the video makes it clear the water comes after the dehumidification happens..

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    sxi23ek2sr1z.jpg

Interesting, I have never heard of this stuff before. I presume this is what they look like when not depleted? The product photo is really confusing since it makes it look like they come with water, but the video makes it clear the water comes after the dehumidification happens..

That one is fully used up. The top half generally has small balls that capture moisture and dissolve. Once they dissolve the water runs into the lower half of the bag.

They are great for small areas which aren’t covered by dehumidifiers, or places that see infrequent humidity.

• Options
    Since we live in Florida which is pretty humid we have them hanging in the pantry and the laundry room, but smaller versions than that.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    We have DampRid tubs scattered around.

Same idea; chemical pellets in the top of the tub over holes, water collects in the bottom. You're supposed to be able to reuse tub and just add more pellets but they get too clumpy and gross.

• Options
    It took a year of being in the house, but last month we finally found and ordered a dining room table. It and the bench will be here next month and then we wait until September for the chairs to show up.

It's not a great time to be getting furniture.

• Options
    In unrelated news to my house, check out the price history here: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/430-E-Sprague-St-Winston-Salem-NC-27127/5752275_zpid/

They want 300k for a house they paid 100k for FOUR MONTHS AGO. Fuck whoever owns this place. It's not even in a good neighborhood.

Look at that sterile, lifeless interior. This is an investment company, guaranteed.

• Options
    In unrelated news to my house, check out the price history here: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/430-E-Sprague-St-Winston-Salem-NC-27127/5752275_zpid/

They want 300k for a house they paid 100k for FOUR MONTHS AGO. Fuck whoever owns this place. It's not even in a good neighborhood.

Look at that sterile, lifeless interior. This is an investment company, guaranteed.

The lack of a fridge lends a lot of credence to that idea. There was a recent report of some programmer who came up with an AI buying program to grab undervalued homes for investment firms to flip so that's not great.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

The lack of a fridge lends a lot of credence to that idea. There was a recent report of some programmer who came up with an AI buying program to grab undervalued homes for investment firms to flip so that's not great.

Which is hilarious because that's basically exactly the same rake Zillow stepped on last year, wonder why they think they can do better.

Oh right, it's this:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/uwuplq/what_do_you_mean_you_have_seen_it_before_its/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

hmm, I guess I can't embed that? I forget, are reddit links forbidden?

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular

“ Amazing renovation with all the character of a 1901 home and the convenience of modern living!”

ABSOLUTE LIES
    Absolute. Lies.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    yep that is your standard rock-bottom flipper fitout right there.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    We have reached the nadir of bathroom reno, wherein I have no shower access tonight. It's all uphill from here!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    We have reached the nadir of bathroom reno, wherein I have no shower access tonight. It's all uphill from here!

We were 3 days without our shower when we did ours. Between the installation and letting the sealant cure, along with the new drywall and mud. We showered at our friends those 3 days. :D

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Last time I had a bathroom renovated we bathed in a large plastic tote on the kitchen floor and dumped the water in the flower bed.

Baffling that people could be young and broke and dumb enough to decide that's the best solution and still have enough ready cash to renovate a bathroom, but I guess we just hit that sliver of the Venn diagram at the wrong time.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    ...listen, as someone in his mid 30s who just bathed in a large plastic tote in the kitchen I am feeling very attacked right now

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    The solution is obvious. No bathing until you finish.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    My MiL is making us move. We had an agreement to buy the house by July 2022 for the remaining balance on the mortgage. We’ve been paying the mortgage for 6 years but since we had to file for bankruptcy and it isn’t 2 years until October she won’t give us more time.

Because the house is now worth about 200k more than what’s owed on it she wants her money.

Are we going to get back any of the money we paid into the mortgage for 6 years? Nope.

I’m so pissed off about it. I’m happy in this house and I don’t want to move and make my kids move but she’s so fucking greedy she doesn’t care.

Her biggest excuse she keeps using is that she’s “retired”

She’s not fucking retired! She can’t work as a nurse anymore because somehow through all of her schooling she never learned that a vaccine can’t “change your DNA”

So unless some miracle comes along and $170,000 falls into our lap I’m going to have to find an apartment and probably lose my animals and cram all of us into a small ass space for a year directly because of someone who is SUPPOSED to be family.

I’m so very tired

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    ...listen, as someone in his mid 30s who just bathed in a large plastic tote in the kitchen I am feeling very attacked right now

I, uh. Well, the important thing is smoke bomb

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I really didn't have the energy to drive somewhere else, it's way too cold to bathe with the garden hose, and the shower should be be at least usable tomorrow.

This is how I justify my lifestyle.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    notya wrote: »
    The solution is obvious. No bathing until you finish.

It's a great motivator for sure.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    My MiL is making us move. We had an agreement to buy the house by July 2022 for the remaining balance on the mortgage. We’ve been paying the mortgage for 6 years but since we had to file for bankruptcy and it isn’t 2 years until October she won’t give us more time.

Because the house is now worth about 200k more than what’s owed on it she wants her money.

Are we going to get back any of the money we paid into the mortgage for 6 years? Nope.

I’m so pissed off about it. I’m happy in this house and I don’t want to move and make my kids move but she’s so fucking greedy she doesn’t care.

She’s not fucking retired! She can’t work as a nurse anymore because somehow through all of her schooling she never learned that a vaccine can’t “change your DNA”

So unless some miracle comes along and $170,000 falls into our lap I’m going to have to find an apartment and probably lose my animals and cram all of us into a small ass space for a year directly because of someone who is SUPPOSED to be family.

I’m so very tired

It's uh, super fucked up that she's doing this to her own kid.

Like does she just not want to have any relationship with your partner and kids ever again or what because that's the inevitable, immediate result of something like this.

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular

I’m so very tired

It's uh, super fucked up that she's doing this to her own kid.

Like does she just not want to have any relationship with your partner and kids ever again or what because that's the inevitable, immediate result of something like this.

Beyond super fucked up. If she wants to sell the house for a profit, surev she owns it, but she owes you every dime you put into the mortgage and the house.

The only productive ideas i can offer are if you can get her to go to a mediation or group counseling or something with a neutral 3rd party.... I dunno if there's any legal recourse.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I mean, it sounds to me like y’all had a contract, and you’ve certainly been paying in some equity.

• Options
    Oh if she continues in this I would absolutely contact some local real estate attorneys and see if there's an argument to be made for having equity in the house.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    You were living there and paying the mortgage? Was it being framed as rent, or was it framed as a long term purchasing of the house from her?

Verbal contracts are enforceable under the law, the question is how well can you actually prove it existed. And legal proceedings would definitely tank the relationship, though it might be completely tanked already.

sig.gif
  • Options
    That bridge feels thoroughly burned.

• Options
    Yeah, if she wants to burn that bridge, you might as well throw some gasoline on it by consulting an attorney. Even a verbal contract could carry some weight, especially if you have proof you’ve been paying the mortgage for 6 years.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    That bridge feels thoroughly burned.

Yeah, it sounds like it’s been burned and then the ashes salted.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

We were 3 days without our shower when we did ours. Between the installation and letting the sealant cure, along with the new drywall and mud. We showered at our friends those 3 days. :D

We wound up without a shower for five weeks during recent work when we weren't expecting _any_ loss of bathroom -- to cut a long story short, we started off thinking we were going to get some ceiling texturing redone upstairs, made a number of "interesting" discoveries about our house, and wound up with:

m5JwGGq.jpg

On the other hand, once everything was done, we finally got around to replacing the bathroom lights, which now look significantly nicer than before:

59xsbAv.jpg

and when they're on (which is less rainbow-y but more illuminating):

xSMeQHV.jpg

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    In It Came From Zillow, I present the love child of a Cabella's and a bordello. There's questionable interior design, and then there's...that.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    I clicked the link and initially thought “oh, it looks nice.”

Then I saw… well… all the interior photos. Wow.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    So. Many. Textures.

Shitty fake HDR photography sure don't help though

• Options