Options

[Returnal] Aliens meets Groundhog Day

1141516171820»

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Ah yes that hoary old, played out trope of a person torturing themselves for eternity in an alien nightmare world that might not be real

It’s up there with the curmudgeonly old man who actually has a heart of gold

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited January 7
    more the generic thing of coming up with an odd premise that provokes a bunch of interesting questions and then completely undercuting the thing itself by making it all underpinned by another source of meaning - in this case a not terribly interesting one at that. i literally commented to a friend a few hours in about how exactly that kind of turn would be disappointing and indeed it was as i feared

possibly if i had run it a bunch more to get more of a feeling for the main character it might have felt less hollow but as is...

sometimes you just want something to be the thing itself

EDIT: and this is more a sentiment about how much fun i was having in the first 5-8 hours - now i am sounding like i hated the game, but i really enjoyed most of it. i found myself humming don't fear the reaper before they actually added the theme, the blue oyster cult organ bossfight rules etc

i just went from expecting to be replaying it immediately to finishing and having any desire to do another run completely dead

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Ah that's a shame. I found the game great from beginning to end.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR_3tPMJgGw

Looks like an animated comic is coming! I'm pretty excited by this. I loved the world in Returnal.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    "animated comic"

I know I'm old, but back in my day we used to call that a "cartoon".

Or OAV if you want to be more cultured/weeb about it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    These days we call comics 'static animations'.
    TV is 'visible radio', and conversations are 'in-person podcasts'.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.