Options

[Giant Bomb] A website that still exists

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I really fucking loved GB's new lineup and overall content so this is unimaginably depresso. Like, what fucking cash flow are they saving on by firing two rinky dink video editors on the video content site? Are Fandom really that impoverished?

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I always liked Jess and Jasons contributions to the shows, so this sucks to see happen.

Maybe in the future, there'd be a chance for some lab coats to be broken out of the closet and for 3 ex-GBers to do some fighting game science.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Well, I finally did it. I canceled my subscription. I'd been a subscriber since it first became an option. And I'm good through October. I'll keep listening to the podcast up through then, but after that, who knows.

What a bummer.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    So this news made me go look at the GB channel and I watch a lot of summoning salt and Dan teaching Grubb to beat Tyson looked interesting. I thought Dan was joking when he said he was the 67th fastest Tyson runner but he totally is. That’s pretty impressive and I had no idea he was speedrunning.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Yeah the news really has dampened me on giant bomb. It wasn’t the same but I was still enjoying it now and then.

Gutted. Hope Jess, Jason and everyone effected find something soon.

Genji-Gloves on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    While Jess wasn't my favorite on the site, nobody deserves to lose their job like this. Just absolutely shitty news and I'm sure this isn't the last of these kinds of announcements.

Pretty safe to say the site is done at this point. I hope Dan and the Jeffs ride the bomb into the ground ala Dr Strangelove.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I always liked Jess and Jasons contributions to the shows, so this sucks to see happen.

Maybe in the future, there'd be a chance for some lab coats to be broken out of the closet and for 3 ex-GBers to do some fighting game science.

Unfortunately it seems like Ben has no desire to be in front of a camera full time again. He'll do a random Jeff Gerstmann Podcast or Voicemail Dumptruck or Abby Twitch stream, but that's it.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I saw the news on Reddit. I haven't been a subscriber for ~ 9 months now, and I stopped listening to the podcast around the same time. I'm really disappointed for Jeff Gr., Jess, and Jason. I liked all three of them quite a lot, and none of them had anything to do with me losing touch with the platform.

I have a feeling that any chance of me coming back (however unlikely it was before) is now 0, however.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    hemmelighthemmelight Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I know everyone has said 'hey don't fantasy book people's jobs' in the past, but my biggest pipe dream is for everyone to re-unite under a Nextlander network or something.
    Have people show up as guests on eachother's stuff and pool it into one place? Not necessarily under the same name or even as a regular thing, just as a 'family of brands' or whatever.

I know it would probably not work out for many reasons, but that's my totally selfish best-case outcome. :(
    I like everyone GB has ever hired and it really blows that this keeps happening. Since Jess was hired and the 'core roster' was relatively stable for a while I was really enjoying GB again - things were looking up.

hemmelight on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    If they aren't all together in a van doing pirate radio broadcasts and solving mysteries by this time next year I am going to be very parasocially devastated.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    If they aren't all together in a van doing pirate radio broadcasts and solving mysteries by this time next year I am going to be very parasocially devastated.

I'm still holding out for everyone working out of Gerstmann's garage. Once he gets it cleared of course.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Saw the news just now. Damn that sucks, especially for Jason :(

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I feel like Jeff and Nextlander need to, you know, stabilize their userbase before they think about bringing people back on. It'll be a bad idea for Nextlander to bring in another full timer if they just going to continue to lose subscribers month over month.

Nextlander got a huge bump from the Gerstmann stuff, but they've mostly burned it off and ended the year at roughly what they had at the start of the year. They manged to end December with nearly at many users as they started December with, which is good, but whether that will sustain the next few months is anyone's guess.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Yeah the big questions wrt old GB folks banding together into one big organization is a) who the fuck is going to pay them and b) are they or aren't they better off with individual paetrons.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Giant Bomb came up in a time when the "internet personality" was barely a thing, and they were in many ways pioneers of what we see today. But in some ways I think they got left behind as that kind of content progressed and while I think the format still works and is (for me) a lot of fun, I don't know how many new viewers they're drawing in. So I'm skeptical of them all getting back together under one banner for "Giant Bomb 2.0" or whatever.

It was 10+ years of amazing content: reviews, videos, podcasts, live streams, and probably a whole bunch of shit I don't remember right now. But I don't think we'll see anything quite like that again.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Nextlander got a huge bump from the Gerstmann stuff, but they've mostly burned it off and ended the year at roughly what they had at the start of the year. They manged to end December with nearly at many users as they started December with, which is good, but whether that will sustain the next few months is anyone's guess.

I hope they can sustain :(
    it's pretty much the only gaming thing I watch these days

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    That said, the chemistry of the old crew, especially Jeff and Vinny playing off each other so well, is something I miss dearly. This industry is *dumb*

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Someone on reddit linked to a clip from a stream Jeff did answering questions today and he was asked about Ryan's death and whether he thinks they still would have hired Dan and Jason had he not passed. His answer was no, and in fact the site was probably going to die in a few months but Ryan's passing generated so much interest in the site that the CBS execs took more notice of it. Crazy.

Clip can be found here.

• Options
    That's wild. They had only been owned for like a year and change when Ryan died. Just crazy that Jeff was thinking the site wouldn't even survive two years after getting bought.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    that's crazy if true

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I posted this on the subreddit, but:
    1) Why was chat asking such a weird and callous question about hiring Dan and Jason if Ryan hadn't died? (Also, longtime fans know the answer to this question, which would have been no: Dan was hired to replace Ryan, and I think Jason was hired when Vinny moved away)

2) I shouldn't be shocked or feel icky, but hearing that some suits essentially went "This guy died and so many people care: how can we monetize this?" isn't great. It's not exactly what happened (from what I can tell in this clip) but essentially it made them realize how many invested fans with money there were in the GB audience, and I assume the rest of Jeff's sentence involves them giving GB more money to make everybody stay so that CBS could keep raking in that GB money.

CBS execs basically monetized grief and realized "Oh, people care about these guys we bought, maybe we should give them more money and manpower/budget/etc instead of treating them like second class"

In the longer video, Jeff mentions Ryan had convinced him to stay shortly before he died, which really makes me think Ryan was going to stick with Jeff wherever he went, he just wanted Jeff to stay at GB with him. So I wonder what would Jeff and Ryan leaving CBS AGAIN to form Arrow Pointing Down 2.0 would have looked like. Would they have gotten in on the early Patreon gravy train like Kinda Funny, who Jeff has openly expressed respect for?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Also as much as I’d like to see the gang back together, none of them want to have to be “the boss” again and have to manage a company where they are responsible for people other than themselves. I can see everyone guesting on each others stuff, and id love that, but i think thats about All we’re going to get.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Jeff has openly said his plan is to staff up eventually, and that he's (once again) looking at what the Kinda Funny guys are up to for inspiration.

Don't know if it'll ever happen, though.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I only rather casually follow Giant Bomb, but it seems odd to me with Jeff leaving the site he didn't throw in with the Nextlander guys. Watching their content on a very, very casual basis it feels like they're greater than the sum of their parts.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I don't think Jeff minds being the boss/decision maker, just that he doesn't like being in that position when he's also being pressed down on by folks from above

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »
    I only rather casually follow Giant Bomb, but it seems odd to me with Jeff leaving the site he didn't throw in with the Nextlander guys. Watching their content on a very, very casual basis it feels like they're greater than the sum of their parts.

Throw in with them how? They’ve established their model and have a business with (presumably) three partners.

It’s clear Jeff had his own ideas of what he wanted to do.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Jeff is making more money on his own than if he joined nextlander and had to split everything four ways.

• Options

Jeff is pretty popular on his own (one of the biggest names in game journalism at one point) so the question becomes would the number of people he could attract on his own, and get all the money for, be more or less than a quarter of whatever the final total of the theoretical Gerstmann and Nextlander show's profit would be.

Keep in mind a lot of those subs are likely users double dipping on both shows so while nextlander has a little under 10k and Jeff has a little over 5k, there's no guarantee they'd be doing 15k together.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    I bet the number would barely be north of 10k and it’s not like people would have upped their sub levels just because Jeff was there.

I’m sure they’ll end up doing crossover stuff at some point but it wouldn’t have made sense for either of them.

Jeff is better on his own anyway, IMHO.

Six on
  • Options
    Jeff also left a year after they did. It's not as simple as just showing up and getting 1/4th the money.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Guys

I know we all miss Giant Bomb 2008-2020

But they're not just going to go make Giant Bomb 2: Electric Boogaloo

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    So uh, I guess Jess really didn't want to have to play Earthworm Jim 3D eventually.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    It continues to be incredibly disheartening just how much GB's fate is at the whims of a bunch of suits who couldn't care less about it. What are the odds that Jess and Jason were let go because some exec at their new owner, who doesn't know a thing about them, saw three people with basically the same job title, and impulsively decided, 'They can probably get by with one of those'.

My sub is up in June. I've had premium for nearly a decade. I think, like a lot of people here, I'm going to download what I want from the archives and be done.

• Options
    I feel like Jason was likely targeted due to his longevity.

Jess I have no idea on, other than yeah, less video editors I guess. Totally not something you need on your video website.

• Options
    I saw some people theorizing that it's a last in, first out thing, except that's technically Grubb.

Also Jason with his medical costs might cost more, but also he's remote, so...

Don't they expect people back in an office soon?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Medical costs don't cost your employer anything. That's kind of the point of business-level insurance.

However, if he had to take more sick days that may've counted against him (but that's definitely illegal because of disability protection, right??? lol)

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Jeff is pretty popular on his own (one of the biggest names in game journalism at one point) so the question becomes would the number of people he could attract on his own, and get all the money for, be more or less than a quarter of whatever the final total of the theoretical Gerstmann and Nextlander show's profit would be.

Keep in mind a lot of those subs are likely users double dipping on both shows so while nextlander has a little under 10k and Jeff has a little over 5k, there's no guarantee they'd be doing 15k together.

The Gerstmann $15 Tier! All Gerstmann, all the time! For a limited time only at Nextlander!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    When Grubb was talking in his stream today he was pretty adamant that it was cold, spreadsheet calculations by higher ups slashing a bunch of departments. It really wasn’t well thought out at all from his perceptive.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Guys

I know we all miss Giant Bomb 2008-2020

But they're not just going to go make Giant Bomb 2: Electric Boogaloo

Sure, but I think it's okay to talk about what people miss about GB (mostly the interplay between personalities), and when people mention that Nextlander is barely scraping by, why not think about what could change to bring more people in, or where they might be a year or two down the line. Them joining forces would only really make sense if they were on the same coast, so they could maybe have a small studio space to hang out in together. Because *that* is where the magic happens. Also Jeff is way, way better at the social media game than Nextlander (Vinny and Brad don't even really have a presence). With a proper space and strategy, I could totally see that making sense. Alas, NY and California make that impossible.

Worst case, Nextlander collapses and they end up in games PR, never to be seen again

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Physical spaces cost a lot of money and don’t replace the costs of their home streaming setups, since those are never going away at this point. There’s no way there’d be a return on that kind of investment.

They’d need someone with a significant amount of money willing to invest to make that happen with a plan on how to make enough money from that investment to make it worthwhile. It seems pretty clear to me that none of them ever want to have a boss again in that way.

Six on