As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb] was a website about video games

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    almost finished downloading all the gb content i had been intending to grab beforehand. having a nas really makes you be like, yea i can download a terabyte it's fine.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Has Jeff ever talked about Ryan's death before?
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    Oh yeah, SB Nation is notorious for not paying the people who run all their regional sports pages

A reminder that the shutdown fullcast, which was under the SBNation umbrella for a while, was told repeatedly by the higher ups at Vox that they were a niche podcast and eventually were laid off. They eventually came back after a few months but were scrambling for a while and unsure if they'd be able to keep it up.

That was in 2020.

Last year, the Shutdown Fullcast penned a 7 figure deal for their podcast.

Greedy and incompetent, the total package!

By people like matt yglesias who don't even know who someone like Nick Saban is

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_CB_iNSZg0

Demo Derby is back, Dan and Grubb are playing this time

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    He may not be the fastest at beating Tyson but Dan had a world record Climate Denialist to Eco-Marxist speedrun on the latest Bombcast.

He got it in under five minutes.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    He also thought veal was baby seal meat

I know he doesn't generally sit on the Bombcast because he wanted to keep the Fire Escape as "his" podcast, but they really need him on the Bombcast more

Maddoc on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I have a lot of respect for Dan just asking whatever question comes into his head about what seems to be basic knowledge mostly because he generally actually listens when people tell him the answer

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    He also thought veal was baby seal meat

I know he doesn't generally sit on the Bombcast because he wanted to keep the Fire Escape as "his" podcast, but they really need him on the Bombcast more

i stopped listening to the bombcast months ago after i just couldn't stand jeff jeff and jan anymore. like they're fine but there's just no chemistry whatsoever.

idk if dan is it because i find as he's gotten older his persona that he uses to generate outrage for content has become more and more of his podcasting presence and i never enjoy when it does it, but honestly it couldn't be much worse.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    VIIIIIIIIIIINNY!!!

VIIIIIIIIIIIINNYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

This is not a drill, this is not a drill, Vinny Caravella is currently live playing Kerbal 2 early access

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I have a lot of respect for Dan just asking whatever question comes into his head about what seems to be basic knowledge mostly because he generally actually listens when people tell him the answer

the real thing Dan reveals with that stuff is how little people can actually explain about things they "just know". Like Jeff will lose his mind on a Dan question about something but when pressed it's not like he can often give a coherent answer, or anything further than surface level.

It's why Mike and Merry are such good co-hosts with Dan on Fire Escape. They take most of his questions or "i don't understand x" at face value and it usually ends with both of them having to go uhhhh I'm not sure actually, and looking something up or just kind of talking through it.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »

the real thing Dan reveals with that stuff is how little people can actually explain about things they "just know". Like Jeff will lose his mind on a Dan question about something but when pressed it's not like he can often give a coherent answer, or anything further than surface level.

It's why Mike and Merry are such good co-hosts with Dan on Fire Escape. They take most of his questions or "i don't understand x" at face value and it usually ends with both of them having to go uhhhh I'm not sure actually, and looking something up or just kind of talking through it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVxOb8-d7Ic

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    VIIIIIIIIIIINNY!!!

VIIIIIIIIIIIINNYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

This is not a drill, this is not a drill, Vinny Caravella is currently live playing Kerbal 2 early access

I turned on the stream and immediately Vinny has broken the game.

He appears to have found a way to orbit the planet at atmospheric levels.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Gravity appears to only affect him while he is looking down.

Literally Wile E. Coyote physics.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular

It's also why that thing they tried to do with Dan and Jeff B. was such a mistake, Jeff B. fumbling his way through trying to make Dan sound silly was just painful IMO.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    So Dan is an actual Philomena Cunk

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »

It's also why that thing they tried to do with Dan and Jeff B. was such a mistake, Jeff B. fumbling his way through trying to make Dan sound silly was just painful IMO.

They should have got actual experts on rather than Jeff

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Man, it's so weird following someone for over a literal decade and then going cold turkey.

Like, I had this parasocial relationship with Jeff Gerstmann for years and years, from him selling GB to CBS, to Ryan passing, to Vinny starting Giant Bomb East, to getting married, to the birth of his first kid, to the lockdown, to his super rough time of losing Vinny, Alex and Brad while also having to move while also dealing with his wife's super rough pregnancy, to getting unceremoniously fired a second time and having to hastily start his new enterprise.

Just a whole host of crazy shit; I know way too much about that man's old house! Thank god he moved!

I fell off a couple months after he started his own thing, and I honestly have no idea what he's up to even more. He doing alright?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    he's still streaming on twitch regularly, I don't know in detail how things are going beyond that

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    He’s an energy drink influencer now.

I don’t really keep up with his stuff unless he has a stream that interests me but he seems to be doing his thing, same as it ever was, just by himself.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I tend to listen to his podcast each week, though only kinda half paying attention because it is so like

honestly I can't stand the bombcast without him, especially now without Jess also

Never got into listening to nextlander but I should probably give that another try

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Nextlander is good, although the podcast is a little more structured than I like, if only by virtue of the fact that they gave all the random not video game talk it's own podcast, the Ramblecast.

I've been on their Patreon since they started it up, and I feel like they put out more "stuff" in any given week than Giant Bomb was doing even before the layoffs.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    gotta say I finally listened to that last Bombcast, I cherry pick now but I knew Dan was on this one and I love him, and maybe that's why but man Jeff Bakalar's whole "sneer at everything Dan says" act is grating and Extremely Unfunny.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Nextlander is good, although the podcast is a little more structured than I like, if only by virtue of the fact that they gave all the random not video game talk it's own podcast, the Ramblecast.

I wish the ramblecast was the free one

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    The main Nextlander podcast is solid game and news talk but not especially spicy, I enjoy it, though, it's a comfort listen. The Ramblecast will depend on how much you enjoy them talking about their hobbies/life, there are fun anecdotes (like Vinny's hilarious mistake at his son's Bring Your Parent To School day) but also I zone out when they start talking about data management and the like.

The Watchcast and Never Been a Better Podcast (the rotating Beastcast reunion) are their best output, in my opinion. Alex puts a lot of work into the former and they're all excited to be able to talk about movies, and the latter is hilarious, it does the Beastcast proud.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    I was enjoying the Star Trek watchcast and kind of lost interest when they stopped after Season 1.

I really wanted the insanity of them getting through TOS, TAS and the movies and then starting on TNG.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I was enjoying the Star Trek watchcast and kind of lost interest when they stopped after Season 1.

I really wanted the insanity of them getting through TOS, TAS and the movies and then starting on TNG.

They've said they'll get back to S2 of TOS, but February's goofy sci fi month is a treat, you get Tamoor on Demolition Man as the #1 Demolition Man fan and Austin on Johnny Mnemonic talking cyberpunk.

• Options
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Rorie just said on the Bombcast that he's leaving. Friday is his last day.
    He already has a new job lined up.

Jan is now officially the longest-tenured staff member.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Smart to get out before you find out how the new merch vendor fucks it all up.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular

Huh
    We'll be hosting a GB Town Hall this Friday at 12:30p ET in our Discord. Come listen live to participate or catch the recorded version a little later

discord.gg/giantbomb

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Dan Ryckert is going to announce his presidential campaign.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    This is a bad way for the site to go out, there's no real good way but shut down on their own terms would have been better than bled to death by venture capitalists.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Giant Bomb certainly deserved better than it got the past few years

One wonders if things went differently they could have ended up some kind of massive internet institution owned by a subsidiary of a major conglomerate, like Rooster Teeth did

I guess that was sort of what CBSi was, but also not really

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Hopefully this is a "Here is our plan for Giant Bomb going forward" and not "we're closing up shop."

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Unfortunately any plan is subject to the whims of the assholes who own the site, so

• Options
    Unfortunately any plan is subject to the whims of the assholes who own the site, so

You go to war with the army the asshole owners give you, not the one you want.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Peen wrote: »
    This is a bad way for the site to go out, there's no real good way but shut down on their own terms would have been better than bled to death by venture capitalists.

Unfortunately it was created and owned by venture capitalists from the very beginning for the purpose of being built up and sold off, that's how the crew were able to get paid a living wage back in 2008 before crowdfunding existed.

august on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited March 2023

This is the biggest issue I have, tbh. Like the wind was sucked out of my sails in enthusiasm for Giant Bomb after Jess and Jason were fired. If my subscription isn’t there to support them enough to keep them with job security, what is it for?

never die on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I think if it were bad news like more layoffs, we'd just hear about it, no preamble. They're asking for questions which says to me they don't have a set agenda.

• Options
    It does speak to the current dire straights that the immediate assumption is doom and gloom when 2 years ago this would just be a fun stream with no expectations.