As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Warhammer], space or old world everyone needs hammers

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Oh nobody fucks, get GW bought by Disney and no one will ever fuck again

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I mean, I thought Cortana was represented by a tiny hologram, so, uh... (all I know about Halo is through cultural osmosis, so maybe they got the whole 'hard light contruction' thing going and she totally could punch someone in the jaw).
    august wrote: »
    Karl wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    It drives me mad that this franchise has so few good video games when it is quite possibly the richest vein of potential video game goodness that could possibly exist.

They need to give the license to a big AAA dev (say the team that made the metro series or hell, a COD dev) and let them make a big set-piece FPS.

Or DICE, to make a Battlefront style multiplayer game. Just not riddled with loot boxes that utterly kills the hype at launch.

I don't think EA or Activision are interested in putting AAA money behind a franchise that they don't own unless that franchise is huge, like Star Wars.

edit: they also wouldn't be interested in making a 40k game unless they could turn it into a Game as a Service on top of that.

That really is the thing. The hypothetical AAA game company probably looks at it as if it's not FU Star Wars or FIFA big, and they are not going to be able to control all the merch and profits, how much are they going to get out of it, especially with the way things are run that, 'if it does break records and get ALL THE MONIES, this game was a failure.'

• Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    bi309h8llqdu.jpg

i have accidentally invented Grimdark Lisa Frank

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Surely someone has already made Lisa frank slanesh? Maybe some noise marines

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Nowadays Slannesh units tend to be painted a consistent purple pink but back in the 80s they were all the colours of the rainbow. Heck, it was the 80s, everyone was rainbow coloured.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Wasn't there a 'Rainbow Warriors' space marine chapter back in the day?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

they were a founding chapter in rogue trader, and got retconned to being a 'later founding'

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Finally they will talk about the animations instead of endlessly teasing them this Saturday!
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/05/17/massive-warhammer-animation-news-coming-this-saturday/

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Founded by Lion El'Johnson himself!

Nowadays they are hunted by the Dark Angels for the matter of something called the "Monument 'Altab". Some say it was a holy relic taken by the Rainbow Warriors' Chapter Master when he visited The Rock.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I haven't heard that before. Space Marines didn't have Primarchs when the Rainbow Warriors were a First Founding chapter and after they retconned the Rainbow Warriors away they were made a Ultramarine successor chapter.

I guess there's a sort of connection between the Rainbow Warriors 🏳️‍🌈 and the Dark Angels (being based on a gay poet and the gay club near the GW HQ)? But the RW owe their name to the ship that French bombed.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I haven't heard that before. Space Marines didn't have Primarchs when the Rainbow Warriors were a First Founding chapter and after they retconned the Rainbow Warriors away they were made a Ultramarine successor chapter.

I guess there's a sort of connection between the Rainbow Warriors 🏳️‍🌈 and the Dark Angels (being based on a gay poet and the gay club near the GW HQ)? But the RW owe their name to the ship that French bombed.

The whole lore of 40k really came about in the post rogue trader era even though they do call backs to it

x5n9u7ab9hy1.jpg
    ps0f6q0i5mum.jpg

Like the Crimson fists pre date the imperial fists
    How space marines went from dudes in special armor to being pumped full of extra guts and drugs and much much more
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCapveFed9U
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1zeTwaMNPA

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    one thing that i don't like about GW's video game efforts is that they tend to make everything look very "on model"

they don't really embrace the cooler and weird stuff that the universe has. if they need guard, it's just cadians. if they're doing an underhive game, then it's models and characters from the box, looking almost exactly the way they are painted on the website. the environments all look exactly like the terrain that you can purchase.

i just wish that the games got a bit more creative

Creative Assembly have been doing some good work here. Vampire Coast has a lot of new stuff, the upcoming Kislev and Cathay are going to largely not based on models due to them not actually having models.

Obviously anything with a model looks like it though.

• Options

I was making a joke. You know, The Rock being a gay bar, the Rainbow Warriors taking (on) a Monumental Tab... No? No? Okay...

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    one thing that i don't like about GW's video game efforts is that they tend to make everything look very "on model"

they don't really embrace the cooler and weird stuff that the universe has. if they need guard, it's just cadians. if they're doing an underhive game, then it's models and characters from the box, looking almost exactly the way they are painted on the website. the environments all look exactly like the terrain that you can purchase.

Creative Assembly have been doing some good work here. Vampire Coast has a lot of new stuff, the upcoming Kislev and Cathay are going to largely not based on models due to them not actually having models.

Pirates and Kislev did but Cathy doesn't.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »

Pirates and Kislev did but Cathy doesn't.

way back in early warhammer they did and were well casually racist

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The new stuff for Kislev was designed by Games Workshop's design team. There will be models.

• Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    Surely someone has already made Lisa frank slanesh? Maybe some noise marines

oh almost certainly, but whoever's done it before did it on purpose because they know what they're doing

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Lore question about GSC: How intelligenct are purestrains? Does the Patriarch actually lead the cult, or is it just a figurehead/object of veneration?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Lore question about GSC: How intelligenct are purestrains? Does the Patriarch actually lead the cult, or is it just a figurehead/object of veneration?

Very, and the first. I think. I haven't read the GSC codex.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    They are at least as smart - as in capable of inductive reasoning and language - as humans; they just have a very alien mindset. Which is what the Magus is for; translating human into genestealer and vice versa.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Can they talk?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Can they talk?
    I don’t think their throats are quite right for fluent human speech but they can make themselves understood enough to lure an unwary individual away from observation in order to do the ovipositor thing. Besides which they are telepathic so don’t talk with the lip flapping and such amongst themselves or the Brood because it’s unnecessary.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I am very strongly tempted to buy the Combat Patrol Mechanicus... but I have too many miniatures already, and I'm going to get the Start Collecting Soulblight

And also I'm probably going to get some of the Beast-snaggas eventually

and also also I might pick up some of that new faction in Age of Sigmar at some point if they end up neat.

And I need to keep at least some of my money.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    I am very strongly tempted to buy the Combat Patrol Mechanicus... but I have too many miniatures already, and I'm going to get the Start Collecting Soulblight

And also I'm probably going to get some of the Beast-snaggas eventually

and also also I might pick up some of that new faction in Age of Sigmar at some point if they end up neat.

And I need to keep at least some of my money.

Do not try to resist the temptation. That is impossible. Only... try to realize the truth.

"What truth?"

That there is no temptation. It is only your pile of shame that grows.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Weg11oH.jpg?1
    uN417Xh.jpg?1

i really like playing around with metal weathering effects. Typhus corrosion and some rust pigment powders have got me pretty much as far as i need to go (apart from grease and oil, which'll come later)

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

You might be thinking of the 2nd edition Nippon models (Ashigaru, Samurai, Temple Dog Riders, etc.), and their jokey lore (like the character Sanyo Kawasaki, wielder of the blade Toyota, with companions like Honda Susuki (who freed a bunch of Vim-to monks, the martial order of those who worship Orange Simca)).

Cathay themselves never had anything.

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

You might be thinking of the 2nd edition Nippon models (Ashigaru, Samurai, Temple Dog Riders, etc.), and their jokey lore (like the character Sanyo Kawasaki, wielder of the blade Toyota, with companions like Honda Susuki (who freed a bunch of Vim-to monks, the martial order of those who worship Orange Simca)).

Cathay themselves never had anything.

The problem with Warhammer for a certain age for me is someone I knew had models and books from the olden days.

• Options
    I also finished up my last squad leader conversion

I might think about doing a force leader conversion at some point, like atempestor prime count as. But i'll probs have to either commit to another whole other box of auxilia, or wait until folks start selling the individual models on ebay again

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Weg11oH.jpg?1
    uN417Xh.jpg?1

i really like playing around with metal weathering effects. Typhus corrosion and some rust pigment powders have got me pretty much as far as i need to go (apart from grease and oil, which'll come later)

Would you paint the little dome bit up like R2-D2 for us, before it gets covered by the torso?

• Options
    Or don't cover it with a torso, just a huge pair of robot legs runnin around kickin and stampin on stuff

• Options
    amogus

• Options
  • Options
    amogus: An advanced stage of schizophrenia, in which the patient often finds rectangles surrounding an oval humorous. This is followed by either long bursts of laughter, or painful self-awareness.

That's very specific

• Options
    RED ALERT! RED ALERT! BROLO HAS BECOME INTERESTED IN THE WARHAMS! RED ALERT!
    Brolo wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9hTVrma4v0

QEwXoVG.jpg
    Games Workshop is launching a new streaming service called Warhammer Plus (also stylized as Warhammer+). The service was revealed by Games Workshop staffers Adam Troke and Eddie Eccles on May 22 during a Twitch stream on the company’s official channel.

The company also announced that 11 shows are currently in development and based in the ultra grimdark future of Warhammer 40K. They are: Blacktalon, Iron Within, Altar of Wrath, High Lords, Broken Lance, Hammer and Bolter, Astartes II, Interrogator, The Exodite, Pariah Nexus, and Angels of Death.

https://kotaku.com/i-guess-a-warhammer-streaming-service-was-inevitable-1846967415

what? i would have assumed the Warhammer+ streaming service was an april fool's joke, maybe i'm just... missing something here?

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    First few minute of Angels of Death.

https://youtu.be/jRhmFJDoYww

This made my night. Also I think that was the genetic memory of Horus killing Sanguinius?

Weaver on
  • Options
    the black rage is the psychic imprint of horus killing flyboy on all blood angels

the crimson thirst is an intended woopsie poopsie when the genetic line was being made

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Also I am and have been for a while, in love with the character design of the ships captain.

• Options
    i really like messing around with different scenics and plant tufts are a lot of fun

heVM1lj.jpg?1

PUJgXdJ.jpg?1

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    That's such a nice refreshing change from the usual dusty ruin bases.