Options

Pondcasts Thread [Podcats Thread]

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    I just think it's fun when someone rolls a critical hit at the perfect time and everyone gets excited!

That's the other thing that drives me nuts about that one literally-anonymous motherfucker -- Rude Tales DOES put in the dice rolls, when they're entertaining and matter, when the reactions are good. They know! They put in the dice when the dice are fun!

The anonymous person wants there to be proof that the narrative unfolded "correctly," and in accordance with ALL dice. They're saying they don't trust the storytellers. They've got cop brain!

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Actually we call them rules lawyers.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I don’t know if you could actually edit the die rolls out of my favorite RPG games, which are forged in the dark games.

Like, so much of the story telling is in the group deciding the narrative stakes of a die roll, and then parsing the narrative results based on the die roll.

I’ve never really listened to a D&D podcast though. I would hope they just gloss over the filler die rolls. And… just blip over combat and get to the narrative outcomes of it.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    It does matter.
    I just think it's fun when someone rolls a critical hit at the perfect time and everyone gets excited!

That's the other thing that drives me nuts about that one literally-anonymous motherfucker -- Rude Tales DOES put in the dice rolls, when they're entertaining and matter, when the reactions are good. They know! They put in the dice when the dice are fun!

The anonymous person wants there to be proof that the narrative unfolded "correctly," and in accordance with ALL dice. They're saying they don't trust the storytellers. They've got cop brain!

I don't trust the storytellers because they've all been poisoned by improv. It's the opposite of the Travis problem, I think the Rude Tales folks are lying in favor of getting bad rolls and bad rolls are only funny when they're real and the players don't want them!

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ... what on earth are you going to do to police dice honesty in an auditory medium??

Also Oh These Those Stars leaves in pretty much all the roles and it's the same people and I don't see a fundamental difference in play.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Don't get me wrong, this is a problem that's happening all in my own head. When a sasquatch says "I try to cast a spell and a different, bad spell comes out" I believe it when they include a bad dice number and don't believe it when they just say the thing happens. This is conditioning in action.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I think my summation would be that I consider Rude Tales to be a pretty good comedy show. I know other folks out there enjoy it a lot more than I do, but I have a good time listening to it, its got funny people telling jokes, sure.

That said, there are moments in other actual play shows that I am going to enjoy more and even find funnier, because often what I'm looking for in an actual play is something that mirrors some of the enjoyment I get out of the hobby itself. Often times these might not be as technically funny or well performed, if such a thing can be measured, but nevertheless, they'll work better for me.

It's like the difference for me between watching a funny TV show and being at a party and someone saying what feels the perfect one liner for the moment, y'know?

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Dimension 20 is really fun. It seems to more or less keep in all the dice rolling. I couldn't say if that adds anything to my enjoyment or not. If this was about all dice rolls I'd have a stronger opinion but as Pooro rightly said this is really about keeping a nebulous amount of dice rolls. If D20 followed a more Rude Tales model I presume the insane nat twenty that defined Kristian Applebee's arc would still exist as would the running joke of Gorgug thinking someone might be his dad if he rolled low in investigation. Seems fine either way. The few episodes of Rude Tales did suffer(to my taste) by not including enough dnd in their dnd podcast but I'm not sure more rolling was the answer.

I am kinda uncomfortable with calling someone who expressed an opinion as having "cop brain". I presume its the way it was spoken as a concrete statement but it still skeeves me out. Not saying its wrong. Just sorta processing my feelings.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    here's the thing about dice rolls - Brennan from D20 or Matt Mercer from Critical Role are very much in the Austin Walker school of "be a fan of the players": they go out of their way to make the characters' rolls seem impactful, and doubly so if it lands on a nat 20 or a nat 1. Just off the top of my head are two instances - Brennan when Izzy Roland succeeded on her Divine Intervention:

https://youtu.be/GmLX6QgQMWk

and Mercer when Travis Willingham rolled with advantage and got a nat 1 and a nat 20 while dive bombing the final boss of an encounter on his literal last point of HP (starts at 6:10):

https://youtu.be/4yGZJQW7lkA?t=370

you just don't get that kind of meaningful reaction if you decide to sweep away the rolls completely - and I usually find them incredibly frustrating! like, the thing that sold me on critical role was an absolutely towering moment of acting when Laura Bailey managed to out-trick an incredibly powerful hag through the use of a cupcake, and this tense, dramatic encounter was interrupted by fucking paperwork as Mercer had to go into the rule description for spells and items to make sure everything checks out.

It fucking sucks! but though these lows are frustrating their absence does not allow us to experience the much more impactful heights of seeing a system function, just for a moment, flawlessly, beautifully, through random chance

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Probably got defensive and went overboard, but it's what humans do.
    It's a bad call for sure.
    I try and give everyone a bit of grace for my own sanity, but you ain't gotta follow that.
    Will sing a different tune the 20th time a podcaster tweets gets surfaced here tho.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    If you had some tickets and a free evening, do you all think that you would go see The Shining: The Opera?

I'm not so sure I would.

What's a good meal to have after watching it?

I'd say something with a boilermaker but that seems pretty insensitive to Jack's struggles in a couple of ways.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    As someone slowly working through the Rude Tales backlog, it seems like they are calling out a few more dice rolls since after their covid break than they used to

Also Debonesby is notably more zany but hey we all did lockdown for a while, I get it

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Well I'm not listening to behind the bastards today I guess

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    If you had some tickets and a free evening, do you all think that you would go see The Shining: The Opera?

I'm not so sure I would.

I'd say something with a boilermaker but that seems pretty insensitive to Jack's struggles in a couple of ways.

a nice red rump steak

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Haha

Rump

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

I'm not so sure I would.

I like opera a whole Hell of a lot more than I like Stanley Kubrick, so I'd like to see if that aspect could salvage it for me

But I admittedly have not listened to the podcast about it yet, although I'm very excited to

• Options
    Well I'm not listening to behind the bastards today I guess

I'm listening anyway

Folks this episode is bad

• Options
    People who care about rules in friendly friend games absolutely have cop brain sorry fellas

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    People who care about rules in friendly friend games absolutely have cop brain sorry fellas

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Yeah, the first thing people try to teach you when you start playing TTRPGs is that every table is different and operates under different house rules that work for them. Fucking nobody plays the game as written, and nobody who is running the game as a show is going to run it as written. Shit, even within D&D the actual rules of 5E have multiple things about how the tone you're going for should shift how you play, and a good chunk of their published adventures are like, "here's some ways you should run this that are different than some of our other stuff says you should run this." I think it's interesting to talk about the differences in how people play the game, or how shows handle playing the game, mostly because it's a good way of figuring out how you like to play or listen to this sort of thing, but I don't see the value in running up to someone and saying, "you're playing it wrong!!!" Like, there are plenty of people who love the way the Rude Tales folks play the game, and presumably they're enjoying themselves so...you know, I think they're probably okay doing it "wrong."

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the first thing people try to teach you when you start playing TTRPGs is that every table is different and operates under different house rules that work for them. Fucking nobody plays the game as written, and nobody who is running the game as a show is going to run it as written. Shit, even within D&D the actual rules of 5E have multiple things about how the tone you're going for should shift how you play, and a good chunk of their published adventures are like, "here's some ways you should run this that are different than some of our other stuff says you should run this." I think it's interesting to talk about the differences in how people play the game, or how shows handle playing the game, mostly because it's a good way of figuring out how you like to play or listen to this sort of thing, but I don't see the value in running up to someone and saying, "you're playing it wrong!!!" Like, there are plenty of people who love the way the Rude Tales folks play the game, and presumably they're enjoying themselves so...you know, I think they're probably okay doing it "wrong."

Oh for sure, they seem like they're having a lot of fun so in my opinion they are playing the game correctly. And it seems like a lot of people enjoy listening to them so me being a curmudgeon is in no way meant to be a slight against the show.

• Options

8k3nOzI.jpeg

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    Not a podcast but I'll add a +1 for Dimension20 as a DnD actual play

I feel like the key to Brennan's style is that pretty much every roll has an interesting or entertaining outcome, so there's no need to suspect their veracity

Also, the Box of Doom

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

I dunno, I’d say keeping the rules consistent and making sure everyone is aware of them is important to keeping a game friendly? This isn’t the same as like, running 1:1 with the rules out of the books.

But if different players, or the players and the GM, have different expectations for how the rules will play out that can lead to some very unfun rug pull type moments for the table.

It usually just comes back to open and consistent communication, like most things.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    *slides my tarot card-based RPG onto the table*

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I dunno, I’d say keeping the rules consistent and making sure everyone is aware of them is important to keeping a game friendly? This isn’t the same as like, running 1:1 with the rules out of the books.

But if different players, or the players and the GM, have different expectations for how the rules will play out that can lead to some very unfun rug pull type moments for the table.

It usually just comes back to open and consistent communication, like most things.

That seems like it's less about the rules themselves and care therefor, more about "not being a dick"

You can not be a dick and follow the rules, you can not be a dick and not follow the rules, but as soon as the rules are being followed for THEIR sake and not the TABLE'S sake, that's the cop brain shit

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    *slides my tarot card-based RPG onto the table*

There are quite a few Tarot-based RPGs out there on itch these days.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Yeah, but how many of those were made by our Speed Racer?

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    it is not a new idea but *my* version of it is the best version

• Options

That seems like it's less about the rules themselves and care therefor, more about "not being a dick"

You can not be a dick and follow the rules, you can not be a dick and not follow the rules, but as soon as the rules are being followed for THEIR sake and not the TABLE'S sake, that's the cop brain shit

Do you never consume some media and think "I wish they'd change this one thing just for my personal enjoyment"? Enjoying something but being frustrated by one particular choice seems like a pretty universal experience.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »

Do you never consume some media and think "I wish they'd change this one thing just for my personal enjoyment"? Enjoying something but being frustrated by one particular choice seems like a pretty universal experience.

Yeah but I have never in my life said it to the creator of the project, issued as a command, because that would be UNHINGED

• Options
    From the look of that original post, I'm guessing the poster never thought the creator would even see that comment, much less think about it and respond. People post in the comments or @ creators on Twitter all the time, never thinking they'd be seen and taken seriously. (They could also 100% double down in their next comment, sure, people are nuts.)

I'd definitely word things differently if I knew I was speaking directly to the person I was criticizing. I've said dumb shit in chat/comments only to get actually spotted and called out by the person myself. It sucked! But, even though I was talking 'at' them I definitely did not intend for it to be a conversation with them, I'm either throwing my comment into the void to get it out of my head or talking to the other chatters/commenters.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    From the look of that original post, I'm guessing the poster never thought the creator would even see that comment, much less think about it and respond.

That post was actually a message sent directly to Branson Reese on tumblr

• Options
    Right, but it says anonymous. That person is not their friend or someone that's spoken to them before and expects to be listened to or replied to. As far as I can see.

I've sent an @ or PM out at podcasts without expecting them to read it or respond, they likely get at least dozens of those daily.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Right, but it says anonymous. That person is not their friend or someone that's spoken to them before and expects to be listened to or replied to. As far as I can see.

I've sent an @ or PM out at podcasts without expecting them to read it or respond, they likely get at least dozens of those daily.

If those messages are telling people how to do their jobs, I would highly recommend stopping that!!

• Options
    Yeah I largely disagree with the choice to edit large swathes of the game content out of the podcast for the purposes of creating an actual play podcast (which Rude Tales might not be, of course)

But I would never send them a message to tell them that, that's weirdo behavior

• Options
    Responding is one thing (I would never expect a response to any random @ or whathaveyou) but if you tag someone or in some way send a message directly to them, there's a real good chance they'll at least read it. So seems like the polite thing to do is to not write anything you wouldn't say to someone's face.

Basically I don't know why "messaging someone directly on Tumblr" should be held to like, a lower standard of interaction.

• Options
    I'm a weirdo myself so I mitigate that by not messaging random strangers who produce content about how I think they are doing it wrong

But then I also don't message... Anyone

• Options
This discussion has been closed.