As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Western Animation] Max? More like Min

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    It seems it isn't a case of "angrily liking it", just a case of people either getting really angry over dumb stuff, not impressed in general or disliking it (and for entirely reasonable things), or liking it and knowing it's got flaws.
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Just before the end of He-man and Skeletor's fight in the first episode, I did smile at the line
    "So you've finally worked out how to use that sword", and the instant reversal of the obvious meaning.

Also in episode 2, good to see that Evil Lynn is one of those classic D&D wizards that is all to happy to use Disguise Self at the drop of a hat, but didn't put enough points into performance to actually do the voices as well.

I doubt it's a coincidence given who wrote the series but the whole show gave me a very strong D&D adventure vibe, from the party composition to the quest itself.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    My only real issue with MotU:R so far is the animation is just weridly weightless at points? I'm not sure if weightless is the right word. Flat, or shallow might be. There's not enough follow through/secondary animations. Not sure those are the terms i want.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    My only real issue with MotU:R so far is the animation is just weridly weightless at points? I'm not sure if weightless is the right word. Flat, or shallow might be. There's not enough follow through/secondary animations. Not sure those are the terms i want.

May be some covid stuff. They were finishing the first ep when the pandemic hit.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    My biggest complain about MU:R is that I'm not buying Teelas motivation/ anger after episode 1.

That said I'm def enjoying it so far and as someone that has vague memories of the original I still seems like a great update.

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »
    My biggest complain about MU:R is that I'm not buying Teelas motivation/ anger after episode 1.

That said I'm def enjoying it so far and as someone that has vague memories of the original I still seems like a great update.

Gaslighting is a thing that people get, and stay, angry about.

• Options
    zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    I think the He-man reboot did great at integrating a large breadth of characters without feeling bloated. Good balance of more mature without being grimdark. My only complaint is
    having Adam forgo his eternity in heaven, reconcile with Teela, but then get ganked at the last minute for an unsatisfying cliff hanger. It almost felt like fridging with a male character? I was honestly hoping for a kind of passing the mantle to Teela, like his death meant he couldn't be the champion any longer. Still interested in next season, but if they have to resurrect Adam again I will be annoyed.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular

It's not really gaslighting though.

Gaslighting would be if Teela saw He-Man transform back into Prince Adam with her own eyes, but everyone else who was in the room insisted that He-Man was never there and Prince Adam had been there the whole time. Gaslighting is worse than regular lying because it can cause people to doubt their own perception of reality to the point where they can no longer function as a person.

Sorry for the pedantry, but it's starting to bother me how much that word is getting thrown around inaccurately.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Is Catlevania western animation or anime?

Also, do words mean anything anymore?

It's funny you say this, because the original Toonami programming block on Cartoon Network did a lot to influence Western Animation. The creator of Infinity Train said as much recently:
    Anime influenced kids in the ‘90s and ‘00s due to packaging like Toonami. Those kids are now in their 30s and making their own TV shows. They want to make stuff similar to what they watched when they were kids. Hence, you get shows like Steven Universe, Owl House, She-Ra, Kipo, OK K.O., Rise of the TMNT, etc. It’s clear that anime has influenced an entire generation of cartoon creators. Anime can be kid-oriented, but can also veer into adult themes.

As kids, many show creators were watching the adult stuff, so they’re trying to recreate what anime does in the American market. Unfortunately, the people in charge didn’t grow up with anime, so they often miss its value.

A certain YouTuber also got a lot of flack recently for misattributing the changes in Western Animation to Avatar: The Last Airbender instead of the shows that inspired Avatar.

And in followup, said individual is basically trying to rewrite history (video is spoiled, the relevant bit is ~6:15 in the video):

Yeah, the fact that she seems to be unable to grasp why her comment caused such upset with minority creators (and AAPI creators in general) is troubling, but her attempt to rewrite what she said into a simple comparison is just...

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Amphibia is best show.

S3 Preview:
    Best show in town.

Season 2 is still not on Plus over here. Same with duck tales season 3. Grrrrr.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

May be some covid stuff. They were finishing the first ep when the pandemic hit.

Could be. The studio did a better job of this with Castlevania, so covid seems like a likely explanation. It's definitely a follow through issue mainly - there's a lot of times when a characters hair should move as they move that it stays still, or clothing, and it sticks out due to the hyper realistic style of the animation. And you know, Secondary animation is one of those fundamental things to animation like squash and stretch (Which there's not a lot of either in this!). They're doing a lot of the anime trick of "Still panel with only lips moving".

It's a bit frustrating, but you know, it is what it is!

My only connection to He-Man is really really enjoying the She-Ra reboot, so this is amusing, but nothing more than that. I do like teela's design though!

• Options

Gaslighting would be if Teela saw He-Man transform back into Prince Adam with her own eyes, but everyone else who was in the room insisted that He-Man was never there and Prince Adam had been there the whole time. Gaslighting is worse than regular lying because it can cause people to doubt their own perception of reality to the point where they can no longer function as a person.

Sorry for the pedantry, but it's starting to bother me how much that word is getting thrown around inaccurately.

I thought I remembered an episode where Teela figures it out and Adam goes to increasing lengths to make her believe otherwise, which would have been gaslighting.

I can't find the episode now, and I might have conflated an episode where his mom figures it out.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Could be. The studio did a better job of this with Castlevania, so covid seems like a likely explanation. It's definitely a follow through issue mainly - there's a lot of times when a characters hair should move as they move that it stays still, or clothing, and it sticks out due to the hyper realistic style of the animation. And you know, Secondary animation is one of those fundamental things to animation like squash and stretch (Which there's not a lot of either in this!). They're doing a lot of the anime trick of "Still panel with only lips moving".

It's a bit frustrating, but you know, it is what it is!

My only connection to He-Man is really really enjoying the She-Ra reboot, so this is amusing, but nothing more than that. I do like teela's design though!

The animation's still better than the studio's work on Blood of Zeus, or at least the four episodes I endured before I tapped out. (Blood of Zeus sucks.) Though that also might have been a COVID thing.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Some of the MotU animation seems shitty by design, I assumed it's callback to the original series.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

The King accused her father of being a traitor and banished him from the kingdom on threat of execution. Also she was angry at Adam. Her dad knew, Orko knew, his mother knew, why wouldn't he tell her? Why couldn't she be trusted? That would obviously hurt anyone, and with him dead she had nowhere to direct her frustrations and couldn't tell him.

Being mad at the royal family and just being mad in general after all of that is very understandable to me.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

I thought I remembered an episode where Teela figures it out and Adam goes to increasing lengths to make her believe otherwise, which would have been gaslighting.

Not necessarily. Again, gaslighting is about convincing a person that their perception is wrong, not just that their reasoning is flawed.

Superman asking Martian Manhunter to shapeshift into him so that Lois Lane can see Clark Kent and Superman standing in the same room together is not gaslighting.

Superman planting residue from a hallucinogenic gas in the Daily Planet office to make Lois Lane think she was hallucinating when she saw him using his powers while dressed as Clark Kent is gaslighting.

Ivan Hunger on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    zekebeau wrote: »
    I think the He-man reboot did great at integrating a large breadth of characters without feeling bloated. Good balance of more mature without being grimdark. My only complaint is
    having Adam forgo his eternity in heaven, reconcile with Teela, but then get ganked at the last minute for an unsatisfying cliff hanger. It almost felt like fridging with a male character? I was honestly hoping for a kind of passing the mantle to Teela, like his death meant he couldn't be the champion any longer. Still interested in next season, but if they have to resurrect Adam again I will be annoyed.

It is, because Adam/He-man secretly actually sucks. They better not do the thing you mention, unless he returns to a sidekick status.

Also some death spoilers clarification that I think some people mixed up:
    They make it clear that adam went up because of his heroic deeds. regular people don't go there, moss man made that known. You/regular people die in eternia, you "rot".

Lena Headey is just too charming as Evil Lynn in this role to be a vilian, I hope she flips in the next set of episodes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Also, art styles aside, I'd love to see a She-Ra crossover. Have Bow and Andra do a running commentary on how weird everything is.

Do the crossover and have each show keep its respective art-style.

Well, She-Ra is over, but that's a good idea for a limited series.

I always figured the best way to do a crossover would be for Skeletor or whatnot to get into contact with Hordak and convince him help with the latest scheme, only to find out near the end
    This is post She-Ra reboot Hordak, who becomes kinda-not-evil by the end of the series, and his involvement was all just a ploy to help Adora find out about her origins/what the F the "Greyskull" she was fighting in honor of was.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Lena Headey is just too charming as Evil Lynn in this role to be a vilian, I hope she flips in the next set of episodes.

I have a strong feeling that she has a face turn in part 2.

My feeling may be influenced by the Lena Headey factor, and the scene where she takes off her helmet. :o

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »
    Some of the MotU animation seems shitty by design, I assumed it's callback to the original series.

I gotta admit, I give "we did it terribly by design" a stink eye. Or at least, I think it dosent work here.

It's a shame because the She-ra show is fantastically animated in general with a lot of great little details - and while they're very obviously completely different projects, one can't help but compare.

(Also just because I'd like western animated shows to pull out the stops with the animation! I know you all can do it!

... Just not at cost to your animators plz)

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Evil Lynn’s
    No, they didn’t call me Evil. I added that part later.

Killed me.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    New He-Man is just kind of weird and obvious. Reminded me of Blood of Zeus. Also the references....oof. It feels super rushed.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Centaurworld has a simple and fun premise but more importantly it is visually creative and absurdly well-animated. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets annoying or repetitive after a while but so far I am very happy it was made.

Absalon on
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    *inhale* LUUUUUUUUUUUUMITY

Owl House season 2 has been consistently getting better each episode.

• Options
    Absalon wrote: »
    Centaurworld has a simple and fun premise but more importantly it is visually creative and absurdly well-animated. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets annoying or repetitive after a while but so far I am very happy it was made.

I was watching it until I realized it was 4AM. It's got some really great stuff to it and is worth experiencing.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I watched the first episode of Centaurworld.

I hated it.

But it's been recommended to me by folks, and I've seen a few snippets of songs that were actually rad, so I will be trying to watch more.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »

HOOTIE NO, NOT THE MAIL

Also hell yes Harpie-Eda

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    oh snap, is Owl House S2 getting added to Disney+ week to week? That's new.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular

Season 2 is giving me major "We've familiarized you with the characters and setting, now let's make this shit real" vibes.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    I just got to the Merfolk episode of Centaurworld.

oh my god what teh hell is happening

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Lanz wrote: »
    I just got to the Merfolk episode of Centaurworld.

oh my god what teh hell is happening

Magic

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

HOOTIE NO, NOT THE MAIL

Also hell yes Harpie-Eda
    It was probably junk mail.

• Options
    Centaurworld really is worth a watch. It has some ot the feel from things like Infinity Train, Adventure Time, and Steven Universe, with that cover of stupid goofiness and comedy action hiding the deep emotional content. It's also really *concise* storytelling, without feeling rushed. Also Glendale in particular is fantastic.

Also there is some weirdly adult humor in there that's just enough to throw you off.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    FYI, if anyone was holding out hope for Jellystone for whatever reason, it's pretty crap.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Centaurworld really is worth a watch. It has some ot the feel from things like Infinity Train, Adventure Time, and Steven Universe, with that cover of stupid goofiness and comedy action hiding the deep emotional content. It's also really *concise* storytelling, without feeling rushed. Also Glendale in particular is fantastic.

Also there is some weirdly adult humor in there that's just enough to throw you off.

Also the internet immediately got horney for Comfortable Doug which is perfect.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Also the internet immediately got horney for Comfortable Doug which is perfect.

He is *very* comfortable.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    FYI, if anyone was holding out hope for Jellystone for whatever reason, it's pretty crap.

I watched the first two episodes and got a few laughs, but I doubt I'll watch anymore. Yogi asking people if they wanted to hear the story about how he stopped global warming with a flying boat was amusing.

I did find it kind of interesting how they changed some of the characters. Seeing as the majority of those old Hanna-Barbera characters were male they ended up changing a number of them to be female. Also, Quick Draw McGraw has been completely replaced with El Kabong.

Also, Johnny and Hadji are apparently married.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Weren't Johnny and Hadji basically step brothers?

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

Maybe not in this continuity??? I don't know. This was according to an artist and writer on the show, who also implied that all the characters they changed from male to female are actually trans in this show.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

I think we all know where this is going...
    "Step brother, help me! I got my head stuck in the super science!"
    ...bow chika wow wow...