As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Western Animation] Max? More like Min

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

...okay, which one of you got a hold of a genie and wished this into existence?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all up for this, but there's zero logical reason modern execs would think it's a great idea to fund something based on a culty but moderately-watched show that's generally long forgotten.

I assume these biannual direct-to-video Scooby Doo movies are such consistent sellers that the execs feel confident in allowing the creative people to add whatever gimmicks they want to individual ones.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    "Like zoinks, Scoob, it's Marcus Porcius Cato and he's yammering on about destroying Carthage again!"

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    "Like zoinks, Scoob, it's Marcus Porcius Cato and he's yammering on about destroying Carthage again!"

Rarthage Relenda Rest, rehehehe!

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    We need a Scooby-Doo and The Magic School Bus crossover.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Why not do a Monsters University sequel where their whole society is going to be destroyed because half of the monsters refuse to stop scaring children because of culture war bullshit despite clean laughter being the cheaper, clean alternative.

Disney is coming out with a series about a scarer trying to enter the workforce, so there will probably be something there.

• Options
    WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    We need a Scooby-Doo and The Magic School Bus crossover.

Everyone already knows Ms. Frizzle is a witch that feeds on the curiosity of children.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    In case you're wondering what's up with the rest of Hanna-Barbara's lineup:

https://youtu.be/-HAVgdujUWQ

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I forgot that Courage and Scooby-Doo already technically crossed over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE2oOUFHNvc

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Why not do a Monsters University sequel where their whole society is going to be destroyed because half of the monsters refuse to stop scaring children because of culture war bullshit despite clean laughter being the cheaper, clean alternative.

Oof. Little too real.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I'm going to keep singing the praise of Craig of the Creek.

It's such a fun show and Monday the special event starts that the show has been brilliantly working towards.

https://youtu.be/YsU0NwU-Zjg

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Finished catching up on Amphibia. That season finale ... really went to places, didn't it.
    The show's always felt like a somewhat lighter version of shows like Owl House, so I was not expecting a freaking content warning and the (quasi) deaths of two characters. I have to wonder how much of this was in the friggin' series outline. "So Anne goes Super Saiyan at the end of season 2..."

Of course, one of these deaths are already somewhat deflated by the season 3 opening them they showed at the end of the episode.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Strong Tuca & Bertie episode this week, clever use of a male-centric premise.

Absalon on
  • Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    In case you're wondering what's up with the rest of Hanna-Barbara's lineup:

https://youtu.be/-HAVgdujUWQ

I can't see Peter Potamus without wondering if Harvey ever got the thing he send
    In fact, I don't know anything about the character outside of him being a horny lawyer.

Dibbit on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Finished catching up on Amphibia. That season finale ... really went to places, didn't it.
    The show's always felt like a somewhat lighter version of shows like Owl House, so I was not expecting a freaking content warning and the (quasi) deaths of two characters. I have to wonder how much of this was in the friggin' series outline. "So Anne goes Super Saiyan at the end of season 2..."

Of course, one of these deaths are already somewhat deflated by the season 3 opening them they showed at the end of the episode.

That might even be a reason they showed it so soon. Takes a bit of the horror out of it.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I didn’t realize new episodes of Owl House already began earlier this month until I started seeing shipping fanart of two seemingly unlikely characters.

BronzeKoopa on
  • Options
    zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    I didn’t realize new episodes of Owl House already began earlier this month until I started seeing shipping fanart of two seemingly unlikely characters.

*Gasp* They finally crossed over with Gravity Falls and made Edan cannon?

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Disney plus will in a fit of unusal usefullness have the first 5 episodes of Owl House season 2 up sometime this month

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    Are there any shows comparable to The Weekenders or Hey Arnold? I quite liked the visual styles and stories of those series.

They were memorable & enjoyable as Avatar - The Last Airbender for my childhood.

• Options
    Prisca wrote: »
    Are there any shows comparable to The Weekenders or Hey Arnold? I quite liked the visual styles and stories of those series.

They were memorable & enjoyable as Avatar - The Last Airbender for my childhood.

Craig of the Creek is in some way kind of like that.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    For older stuff too, there's Recess.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I can't recommend Craig of the Creek enough. It's definitely has vibes of The Weekenders/Recess with some surprisingly long form storytelling sowed into it.

The capture the flag episodes were fantastic.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Weekenders was great

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I can't recommend Craig of the Creek enough. It's definitely has vibes of The Weekenders/Recess with some surprisingly long form storytelling sowed into it.

The capture the flag episodes were fantastic.

Harvey Girls uses the same premise as Craig of the Creek almost exactly, and isn't horrible.

• Options
    Monsters at Work, the TV series that's a sequel to Monsters Inc., is up on Disney Plus.

It's fine, I think? They're trying a little too hard to make Tylor's co-workers wacky, but it's still watchable.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Monsters at Work, the TV series that's a sequel to Monsters Inc., is up on Disney Plus.

It's fine, I think? They're trying a little too hard to make Tylor's co-workers wacky, but it's still watchable.

Yeah, I watched the first two episodes. It's decent. I like the concept a lot, if I had anything to say really, it'd be that the episodes feel like a series of quick shorts almost.

The really weird thing is seeing the animation look much more detailed and crisp compared to the original Monsters, Inc but also look cheaper. It's super trippy.

Like, Monsters, Inc came out in 2001. Of course computer animation is going to improve massively in quality since then! But Monsters At Work also looks choppier and movement is less smooth than , Inc. It was very jarring watching the first episode.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Yeah, I watched the first two episodes. It's decent. I like the concept a lot, if I had anything to say really, it'd be that the episodes feel like a series of quick shorts almost.

The really weird thing is seeing the animation look much more detailed and crisp compared to the original Monsters, Inc but also look cheaper. It's super trippy.

Like, Monsters, Inc came out in 2001. Of course computer animation is going to improve massively in quality since then! But Monsters At Work also looks choppier and movement is less smooth than , Inc. It was very jarring watching the first episode.

I was thinking the same thing. I watched the (looooooong) credits, and apparently Pixar itself has next to nothing to do with it. It's been outsourced to an animation studio I've never heard of. You'd think something like this would be handled by Pixar's satellite studio (the folks who did the Toy Story TV episodes and such), but nope.

• Options
    Oh right. Teaser trailer for Disney's next movie, Encanto:

https://youtu.be/togmdDHG3Pw

• Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    Disney Animation has really married itself to the Frozen-style character design. Maybe it's easier for toy making?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

The thing I like is that while they are wacky, they are also genuinely competent. MIFT may be full of oddballs, but they do know their jobs and are able to execute.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Disney Animation has really married itself to the Frozen-style character design. Maybe it's easier for toy making?

I'd say that style started with Tangled, that studio's first full CGI movie if I recall correctly, so I think it's just been there the whole time.

• Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    In other news, Disney plus has not released Ducktales season 3 in Europe yet, because they hate us and want us to feel miserable.
    Come-on, Donald Duck is the most popular character here, there are whole countries who's Christmas traditions are based around "sitting at the TV and watching Donald"

Dibbit on
  • Options
    Let's check in with the new Looney Tunes Cartoo JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

(Seriously, it's horriffic. The most violent Looney Tunes thing ever by a country mile.)

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

(Seriously, it's horriffic. The most violent Looney Tunes thing ever by a country mile.)

Also this which is more creepy than violent, but still

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Holy shit. I watched most of the first season and don't remember anything near that. They must've just went batshit crazy with the second season.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

Holy shit. I watched most of the first season and don't remember anything near that. They must've just went batshit crazy with the second season.

I noticed the production numbers on the credits of the first season, and they apparently picked random things from a ginormous amount of stuff they already produced. (They previously bragged about making 1,000 minutes of stuff.) It would go from three to like 52 or something. I guess they picked some of the milder things as a warmup and saved the crazy for later.

• Options
    Speaking of Looney Tunes, reviews for the new Space Jam are in, and they're pretty crap as expected.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

That's more Ren & Stimpy than Looney Tunes.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

I noticed the production numbers on the credits of the first season, and they apparently picked random things from a ginormous amount of stuff they already produced. (They previously bragged about making 1,000 minutes of stuff.) It would go from three to like 52 or something. I guess they picked some of the milder things as a warmup and saved the crazy for later.

I'm honestly surprised they'd allow such violent material (especially after not letting Elmer Fudd have guns apparently).

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    This sounds like another case of an animated series being given more freedom through a move to a less restrictive platform and them doing things they couldn't before just for the sake of it instead of for an actual good comedic reason. I know Family Guy and Futurama had the same problem, but I haven't seen enough of American Dad's TBS episodes to know if that fell into the same trap.

• Options
    What's interesting is Cartoon Network just started airing the new Looney Tunes show in the mornings (most likely because of the new Space Jam movie). Wouldn't be shocked if these newer episodes don't make it to broadcast.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA