As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Western Animation] Max? More like Min

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Bugs Bunny's deflated corpse draped around something in a nightmarish parody of what he once was might be an excellent metaphor for modern Looney Tunes cartoons.

Unless they're actually good. I haven't watched them since the early 90s. Maybe they're good. They're just different from what I know from my childhood, and therefore loathsome.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Tone-whiplash-gore aside I can still spot the tweening artifacts of modern animation that makes the otherwise Ren & Stimpyish stuff ring slightly hollow

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Oh right. Teaser trailer for Disney's next movie, Encanto:

https://youtu.be/togmdDHG3Pw

Maybe your gift is being in denial

Damn kid, ice cold

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Bugs Bunny's deflated corpse draped around something in a nightmarish parody of what he once was might be an excellent metaphor for modern Looney Tunes cartoons.

Unless they're actually good. I haven't watched them since the early 90s. Maybe they're good. They're just different from what I know from my childhood, and therefore loathsome.

There's The Wizard.
    That's got to count for something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qGj4Z53NqM

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    -
    see317 wrote: »

There's The Wizard.

sigh... that episode is a decade old

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    Let's check in with the new Looney Tunes Cartoo JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

(Seriously, it's horriffic. The most violent Looney Tunes thing ever by a country mile.)

Holy shit. I watched most of the first season and don't remember anything near that. They must've just went batshit crazy with the second season.

I noticed the production numbers on the credits of the first season, and they apparently picked random things from a ginormous amount of stuff they already produced. (They previously bragged about making 1,000 minutes of stuff.) It would go from three to like 52 or something. I guess they picked some of the milder things as a warmup and saved the crazy for later.

I'm honestly surprised they'd allow such violent material (especially after not letting Elmer Fudd have guns apparently).

This makes me think taking away Elmer Fudd's and Yosemite Sam's guns was less about protecting impressionable children and more about satisfying a political agenda.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    Let's check in with the new Looney Tunes Cartoo JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

(Seriously, it's horriffic. The most violent Looney Tunes thing ever by a country mile.)

Holy shit. I watched most of the first season and don't remember anything near that. They must've just went batshit crazy with the second season.

I noticed the production numbers on the credits of the first season, and they apparently picked random things from a ginormous amount of stuff they already produced. (They previously bragged about making 1,000 minutes of stuff.) It would go from three to like 52 or something. I guess they picked some of the milder things as a warmup and saved the crazy for later.

I'm honestly surprised they'd allow such violent material (especially after not letting Elmer Fudd have guns apparently).

This makes me think taking away Elmer Fudd's and Yosemite Sam's guns was less about protecting impressionable children and more about satisfying a political agenda.

Elmer uses a scythe apparently which isnt better. I really think they were told to not use guns but in space Jam 2 its apparently okay for Speedy and Granny to get shot at so god knows

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    -
    see317 wrote: »

There's The Wizard.

sigh... that episode is a decade old

You shut up!

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    the looney tunes show was pretty good!

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The (current) Looney Tunes show is... ok, but trying way too hard as the clips show.

Someone on twitter compared it to WB's DC movies trying to follow in the footsteps of Marvel movies. The folks behind the new Looney Tunes are probably trying to do something similar to the new Mickey Mouse shorts, which are more extreme than you'd expect, but the results aren't nearly as good.

I mean, stuff like this short is very harsh but hilarious:

https://youtu.be/HB13XUQwWFw

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    so wait... did Goofy go back in time and fuck every species on earth?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    so wait... did Goofy go back in time and fuck every species on earth?

Pretty much.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    And I guess it follows that every species on earth did butt stuff with Donald's seat?

• Options
    And I guess it follows that every species on earth did butt stuff with Donald's seat?

goes without saying

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Cloaca stuff.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Runaway Brain is the famously "extreme" MM short. Which I had to look up. I thought it came out sometime after 2000. Nope, 1995.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj8m-wu0PyQ

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    If you care, here's a list of all the cameos in the latest Space Jam.

Only three of them have any lines, two of which are genuinely surprising:
    Wonder Woman and Rick and Morty. Yes, Rick and Morty show up for half a minute, dropping off Taz (who they apparently experimented on).

That'll probably lead to some uncomfortable discussions/horrifying discoveries between parents and kids.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Runaway Brain is the famously "extreme" MM short. Which I had to look up. I thought it came out sometime after 2000. Nope, 1995.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj8m-wu0PyQ

Didn't this win a bunch of awards?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Kevin Smith He-Man is getting some pretty positive reviews and also riling up the usual fans.

I was curious why and apparently
    He-Man dies in the first episode and the other are about Teela and the rest of the MU crew dealing with the fallout of the world changing

That actually makes me even more interested in it!

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Kevin Smith He-Man is getting some pretty positive reviews and also riling up the usual fans.

He-Man dies in the first episode and the other are about Teela and the rest of the MU crew dealing with the fallout of the world changing

Yeah. I saw the first episode. And you still get all the Masters of the Universe trappings -- colorful characters with hilariously on-the-nose names driving goofy vehicles. Orko's still a screw-up, and Cringer's still afraid of everything. And yet things get crazily dramatic and harrowing. The second episode has a gore warning attached to it. If I hadn't been fairly aware of Masters of the Universe it would be cognitive dissonance: the series.

• Options
    Kevin Smith going hard it seems. Great.

• Options
    I'd argue Noelle Stevenson also went hard on She-Ra, just in a different way, but also great.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular

Yeah. I saw the first episode. And you still get all the Masters of the Universe trappings -- colorful characters with hilariously on-the-nose names driving goofy vehicles. Orko's still a screw-up, and Cringer's still afraid of everything. And yet things get crazily dramatic and harrowing. The second episode has a gore warning attached to it. If I hadn't been fairly aware of Masters of the Universe it would be cognitive dissonance: the series.

Not sure if it's accurate to call it gore, but definitely some very effective and unexpected body horror.

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular

Not sure if it's accurate to call it gore, but definitely some very effective and unexpected body horror.
    Yeah, like in
    that Superman movie where the lady gets absorbed by the big computer.
    Oh, nightmare of my youth!

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    I saw all 5 episodes of MOTU Revelations and it was really good in my opinion. As a half-century guy I remember the series from when I was a kid, and I really liked this version. But apparently because a female character plays a large role, the Internet is going bonkers (again) and calling it a disaster/catastrophe/awful.

Well, the Internet is wrong (says this guy on the Internet) and it’s a perfectly fine 2.5h hours of entertainment, and I look forward to part 2! :biggrin:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    I saw all 5 episodes of MOTU Revelations and it was really good in my opinion. As a half-century guy I remember the series from when I was a kid, and I really liked this version. But apparently because a female character plays a large role, the Internet is going bonkers (again) and calling it a disaster/catastrophe/awful.

Well, the Internet is wrong (says this guy on the Internet) and it’s a perfectly fine 2.5h hours of entertainment, and I look forward to part 2! :biggrin:

The only real criticism I've heard that sounds fair is the marketing made the show look like a hi-res possibly more mature version of the 80s cartoon and being served a Shocking Swerve is not what drew them into watching episode one.

I can sympathise with that sentiment, while trying to enjoy the orange sitting where I thought an apple lay.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Amphibia is best show.

S3 Preview:
    Best show in town.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I got spoilered on something pretty big for S2 and it's coloring my perceptions in a neat way!
    so I heard Marcy is responsible for getting em all sent to Amphibia, and so the whole time she's on screen, it's so obvious she's trying to impress Anne and make it clear that she doesn't need help in this world and she's so cool now and aaaaaaugh you fucker

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Finished up the He-Man show. Obviously there will be more coming, but it was leagues beyond the original and I loved the fact that it put the actual Masters of the Universe at the forefront and not just He-Man. Hamill killed as Skeletor, and they pretty obviously threw in a ton more diversity very deliberately so I hope that really really pisses off a lot of stupid assholes because it was a great thing to add to what was a neon-white selection of characters originally.

In particular, having the main character being a kickass woman who is herself stacked. Still very rare that a physically strong female character is allowed to have actual muscles and they do not have that problem here, she looks properly Olympian and doesn't look remotely out of place among absurdly-ripped male characters.

It's not as good as She-Ra, but it's worth watching for Skeletor alone.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Finished up the He-Man show. Obviously there will be more coming, but it was leagues beyond the original and I loved the fact that it put the actual Masters of the Universe at the forefront and not just He-Man. Hamill killed as Skeletor, and they pretty obviously threw in a ton more diversity very deliberately so I hope that really really pisses off a lot of stupid assholes because it was a great thing to add to what was a neon-white selection of characters originally.

In particular, having the main character being a kickass woman who is herself stacked. Still very rare that a physically strong female character is allowed to have actual muscles and they do not have that problem here, she looks properly Olympian and doesn't look remotely out of place among absurdly-ripped male characters.

It's not as good as She-Ra, but it's worth watching for Skeletor alone.

Yeah, I'm on episode 4 and Teela being ripped is one of the best parts. Andra is a great new audience insert character...bonus points for being a POC.

Kevin Smith is such a fanboy weirdo, but his heart is in the right place. She-Ra's still got my heart, but I look forward to seeing where Revelation will go.

Also, art styles aside, I'd love to see a She-Ra crossover. Have Bow and Andra do a running commentary on how weird everything is.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Apparently there are people on the Internet who are legitimately pissed that the show
    Killed Moss Man. Like, who gave a shit about Moss Man these past 40 years?

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Apparently there are people on the Internet who are legitimately pissed that the show

These are folks who are looking for any reason to hate something they deem “too woke”. Most of the criticisms I’ve seen seem to amount to nothing more than “they changed it so now it sucks”

I mean the 80’s transformers movie arbitrairily killed off 75% of the old cast, INCLUDING the main protagonist and folks LOVE that thing.

Revelations is perfectly decent. A tone shift from the source material, certainly, but it pays due homage to the original, it doesn’t “shit all over the legacy” of He-Man as the hate mob would have you believe. Ignore the haters, they’re letting their nostalgia goggles blind them to the actual quality on display here.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    I just finished the 5 part "season," and it seems like most complaints are misplaced.
    He-Man isn't playing a supporting role in "his own show;" it's not called "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe," it's "Masters of the Universe: Revelation." The revelation being that Teela was the hero we needed all along, apparently.

Honestly, fuck anyone who thinks Adam always has to be the hero, and those that begrudge Teela's feelings of betrayal at still being gaslit after dedicating her whole life to fighting alongside He-Man in defense of Eternia.

The fact that they added stakes where people can and do die is a vast improvement on the original property, not some sort of betrayal of some sacred text.
    Orko went out like a goddamn champ; good for him.

I for one enjoyed every minute of the show, from the intentional hokey throwback dialogue to the deep cut vehicles and references
    ("Almighty Zoar!")
    , to the somewhat cognitive dissonance grimdark events keeping it real.

Henry Rollins Tri-Clops was inspired casting; I hope we get more of him.

• Options
    Also, art styles aside, I'd love to see a She-Ra crossover. Have Bow and Andra do a running commentary on how weird everything is.

Do the crossover and have each show keep its respective art-style.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options

Do the crossover and have each show keep its respective art-style.

Well, She-Ra is over, but that's a good idea for a limited series.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Really surprised how much I liked Revelations. Some things that particularly stood out:
    I like how they're showing how Skeletor's henchmen are dealing with with his absence in various ways. TriClops in particular is fascinating; seeing that magic is dying and starting up a technocult, and having some of the other tech-based bad guys on board, is pretty cool and feels 'natural' in what that type of character would do in such a situation.

Showing how competent and dangerous to his enemies Man-At-Arms is was cool, I always felt he got glossed over a bit but here he's defending a building against repeated waves of attacks from an entire army all by himself. Fuck yeah.

I like the raised stakes; you CAN die here. But I also like the amelioration of 'you can die on Eternia but you may carry on on a different plane'. And then the swing back of 'if you leave that different plane, that's it, it's your one shot'

They even made Orko not entirely irritating. I'm genuinely surprised they didn't go for the low-hanging fruit of unmasking him though. I also liked his bonding with Evil-Lyn, and despite what she does at the end I thought it was genuine.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

And if they had bothered to keep watching the show
    you find out Moss Man isn't really dead dead. He's a fucking a forest and yeah, he's in Preternia now, but the rules are kinda fuzzy for him and he's a million fucking years old, so dying isn't even a big deal to him.

There's definitely certain topics on the show that make it obvious not to take somebody's opinion on the series seriously and "I don't like what they did with this paper-thin character created forty years ago entirely to sell toys!" is one of them.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Just before the end of He-man and Skeletor's fight in the first episode, I did smile at the line
    "So you've finally worked out how to use that sword", and the instant reversal of the obvious meaning.

Also in episode 2, good to see that Evil Lynn is one of those classic D&D wizards that is all to happy to use Disguise Self at the drop of a hat, but didn't put enough points into performance to actually do the voices as well.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Just before the end of He-man and Skeletor's fight in the first episode, I did smile at the line
    "So you've finally worked out how to use that sword", and the instant reversal of the obvious meaning.

Also in episode 2, good to see that Evil Lynn is one of those classic D&D wizards that is all to happy to use Disguise Self at the drop of a hat, but didn't put enough points into performance to actually do the voices as well.

That part definitely got me. Great portrayal of the raised stakes as well as messing with expectations.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I've never seen a show be praised with such a level of hostility before. "I like this new show, angrily!"

Enjoyment of a show can certainly be enhanced with knowledge that it's hated by people you despise. But I can't remember another show where people were so eager to state that as their first, and in some cases only, reason for supporting it.