Options

The Novel Novel [Coronavirus] Discussion Thread

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Second dose got. Team Moderna all the way.

Side effects include happiness, relief, mild euphoria, and an inexplicable urge to start laughing.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Second dose got. Team Moderna all the way.

Side effects include happiness, relief, mild euphoria, and an inexplicable urge to start laughing.

So THAT is the Joker's true origin story?

Kinda underwhelming for such a significant villain.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    MorganV wrote: »
    Magus` wrote: »
    I'm in Missouri so you can all understand how thrilled I am about Delta.

I thought that was more a Mississippi thing? Or Atlanta if you're more into planes than riverboats. :)

Sadly, MO's statehouse is full of as many dumbasses as the one in Jackson. Our governor is an outrageously pro cop asshat that has no use for science and is only in the position he is because he was willing to wear Eric Greitens' ass as a hat.

We're a state that's looking at having our Supreme Court overturn a voter passed referendum to expand Medicaid, because they didn't attach a funding mechanism to it when it went up for a vote, despite most of the funds already approved for it at the federal level via the ACA's Medicaid expansion.

I sometimes really, really hate my home state.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Do we have an idea of when my kids will be able to get the vaccine? They are 8 years and younger (youngest is 2, 3 in October).

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I heard rumblings that 'by september', but that was all speculation so who knows

they damn well better figure out something though or elementary schools will be typhoid beds

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I heard rumblings that 'by september', but that was all speculation so who knows

they damn well better figure out something though or elementary schools will be typhoid beds

In NYC they did pretty well with compulsory masks for kids and shutting down classes as soon as any child tested positive. Of course, that's not really a long term solution but should work until vaccines are available for children.

• Options
    Yeah my older kids are in Taekwondo right now and no one's really wearing any masks. Ohio's numbers are fairly low at the moment so I'm not terribly concerned... but if Delta IS coming then I'd like to get them protected as soon as possible.

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

In NYC they did pretty well with compulsory masks for kids and shutting down classes as soon as any child tested positive. Of course, that's not really a long term solution but should work until vaccines are available for children.

Plenty of states are preventing compulsory masking now and see it as a political issue rather than an issue of public health, so we're kinda fucked in that regard.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I feel like you should encourage them to wear masks in Taekwondo. We've done soccer and dance and masks were always required for the kids.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah my older kids are in Taekwondo right now and no one's really wearing any masks. Ohio's numbers are fairly low at the moment so I'm not terribly concerned... but if Delta IS coming then I'd like to get them protected as soon as possible.
    Honestly we've opened this Pandoras box up without a mask and fucked the box. So we need to be protecting kids (which will protect ourselves). Come on NIH and FDA help get this moving forward. Also...I'm betting we start seeing booster shots for new variants next April.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Greece is loosening the restrictions for vaccinated people. They can go to sport events and restaurants can decide to either serve only vaccinated people without tests, etc. Or open for all with tests.

Vaccinated people still have to wear masks like everyone else though.

• Options
    kime wrote: »
    I feel like you should encourage them to wear masks in Taekwondo. We've done soccer and dance and masks were always required for the kids.

Also makes you look like a ninja.

• Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular

Also makes you look like a ninja.

Should get the kids Deadpool masks though; encourage them to be smart asses.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Realistically what I think we are going to see across the world is a move towards like

Look, once everyone has been vaccinated... you can't eradicate the disease and you can't do more than vaccinate people so... lockdown is over? And people are just fucking ready for that to happen man. People are so ready for it, and as more and more places go back to "normal" and the calls for it grow and grow... I think that maybe some restrictions will remain in places and that in some areas they will flex up maybe later in the year, but I think that realistically the time of full on lockdowns for a lot of has gone.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Realistically what I think we are going to see across the world is a move towards like

Look, once everyone has been vaccinated... you can't eradicate the disease and you can't do more than vaccinate people so... lockdown is over? And people are just fucking ready for that to happen man. People are so ready for it, and as more and more places go back to "normal" and the calls for it grow and grow... I think that maybe some restrictions will remain in places and that in some areas they will flex up maybe later in the year, but I think that realistically the time of full on lockdowns for a lot of has gone.

I've been paranoid as hell for 18 months and now that I'm vaccinated, I am over it.

I'd probably feel differently if the adult vaccination rate was lower where I live.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Exactly, people get vaccinated and they are not so bothered any more

I also think that being careful about the rona will become less socially acceptable, and I think that's already started

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Yeah in my current high vaccination region no one is gonna like give you shit for it but there's definitely some looks you get if you're popping masks on to go into places.

• Options
    NYC still has most people wearing masks inside and many outside too.

• Options

We did for a while. But being the only kid wearing a mask was sorta making him feel like an outcast. He's already been socially isolated from everyone.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

In Maryland it's mostly just white people who have stopped wearing masks.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

I'm from maryland and can confirm. Though myself and a few others are the exception to the rule.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »

If I wasn't wearing a mask, you could see my shocked face.

Anecdotal, but while I've seen multiple people locally unmasked over the past 15 months, it's only ever been white people that have been openly hostile to being asked to wear it. Everyone else seems to be embarrassed that they've forgotten.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

We did for a while. But being the only kid wearing a mask was sorta making him feel like an outcast. He's already been socially isolated from everyone.

I more mean like, is the Taekwondo place open to making everyone do it? Or is there another one you could go to that does?

"Do the kids have to wear masks" is just something we make sure is the case before we sign up for kid activities nowadays.

Also like, "is there good air flow" and such.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options

I more mean like, is the Taekwondo place open to making everyone do it? Or is there another one you could go to that does?

"Do the kids have to wear masks" is just something we make sure is the case before we sign up for kid activities nowadays.

Also like, "is there good air flow" and such.

Oh I see what you're saying. Nah I don't think so. Even when we first joined ~March they said the parents were required but the kids weren't. My son was the only one wearing one for the first few months. I think the past 2 weeks we've stopped having him put it on because people just weren't really engaging with him. And now he's talking to a lot more people.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Exactly, people get vaccinated and they are not so bothered any more

I also think that being careful about the rona will become less socially acceptable, and I think that's already started

I am personally prepared to drop people from my life who give me shit about my use of such low-effort safety considerations.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I can't imagine any measure that is as low-cost, low-effort, and high-benefit as wearing a mask.

I'm still utterly baffled that of all things, that is a hill that people are willing to (quite literally) die on.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    I can't imagine any measure that was a low-cost, low-effort, and high-benefit as wearing a mask.

I'm still utterly baffled that of all things, that is a hill that people are willing to (quite literally) die on.

Yep. We now know that if everyone wore masks we could have gone back to normal activity more or less immediately. (No eating or smoking together indoors, but other than that pretty much life as usual.) And masks are *still* more effective than vaccines at preventing infection, but only if everyone wears them correctly. But no, instead what we got was a combination of people who made masking and virus denying a political stance, people who couldn't be arsed to be even mildly inconvenienced, and the president of the United States getting on stage to make fun of his opponent for wearing a mask while the president had COVID.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Which countries that masked went basically back to basically normal, before having reasonably widespread vaccine distribution, other than New Zealand?

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    I can't imagine any measure that is as low-cost, low-effort, and high-benefit as wearing a mask.

I'm not. It's the same fuckers who opposed smoking restrictions, and similar things.

"Your right to not be at risk is not as important as my right to be an asshole."

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    redx wrote: »
    Which countries that masked went basically back to basically normal, before having reasonably widespread vaccine distribution, other than New Zealand?
    South Korea has done relatively well, although there was a big wave around December 2020. The tally for them is 155,500 cases, 2,015 deaths so far, I think, which is amazing for a heavily urbanized country of over 50 million people.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    South Korea has done relatively well, although there was a big wave around December 2020. The tally for them is 155,500 cases, 2,015 deaths so far, I think, which is amazing for a heavily urbanized country of over 50 million people.

They returned "back to normal activity more or less immediately."

Or they spent a year in mostly quarantine?

edit: Sorry I was responding to Marty's post directly above mine. It doesn't actually grounded in reality.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options

edit: Sorry I was responding to Marty's post directly above mine. It doesn't actually grounded in reality.
    They have closed schools and went to online learning, and some large gathering events were cancelled. But there were no lockdown restrictions. They have a pretty aggressive quarantine and contact tracing program in South Korea, and a lot of buy-in from the population about the importance of it.

The city of Daegu had a famous super-spreader event involving a church there, so they had harder restrictions than the rest of the country. The wikipedia page on COVID in South Korea details what happened there over the past year:
    As of 25 February, Daegu officials were aggressively warning residents to take precautions while allowing private businesses such as restaurants to stay open. As a precautionary measure, many restaurants check the temperatures of their customers before accepting them. It is common for "offices, hotels, and other large buildings" to use thermal image cameras in order to identify people with fevers.[116] All Daegu's public libraries, museums, churches, day-care centres and courts had been closed.[126][needs update]

Apart from the city of Daegu and the church community involved, most of South Korea is operating close to normality, although nine planned festivals have been closed and tax-free retailers are closing.[125] The South Korean military manpower agency made an announcement that conscription from Daegu will temporarily be suspended.[127] The Daegu Office of Education decided to postpone the start of every school in the region by one week.[128]

Numerous educational institutes have temporarily shut down, including dozens of kindergartens in Daegu and several elementary schools in Seoul.[129] As of 18 February, most universities in South Korea had announced plans to postpone the start of the spring semester. This included 155 universities planning to delay the semester start by two weeks to 16 March, and 22 universities planning to delay the semester start by one week to 9 March.[130] Also, on 23 February 2020, all kindergartens, elementary schools, middle schools, and high schools were announced to delay the semester start from 2 to 9 March.[131][needs update]

In the K-pop industry, the rapid spread of the coronavirus within South Korea has led to the cancellations or postponing of concerts and other events for K-pop acts within and outside of South Korea, for example the cancellation of the remaining Asia dates and the Europe leg for Seventeen’s Ode To You Tour on 9 February 2020 and the cancellation of all Seoul dates for BTS' Map of the Soul Tour.[132][133] Entertainment agency SM Entertainment reportedly donated five hundred million won in efforts to fight the disease.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Like, a lot of my Korean relatives/friends complained about school and large festival/concert closures, but they pitied us in the US for fucking things up so badly, and don't understand how we could have let it get so bad. They don't have store/restaurant lockdowns over there.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

I meant that we know that now, not that we knew it back then. It was more of a hypothetical.

It's just crazy to me that the least restrictive measure turned out to be the most useful, at least in theory. It's really awful that it didn't work out in practice.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    In lieu of the Australian government having a plan I'm going to getting the AstraZeneca vaccine hopefully next week.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Most of the South Pacific Island countries were doing well.

This recent Delta variant is fucking things up and Fiji in particular is having a real tough time getting things under control.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021

I don't know if it would work for you, but for our youngest who is the only one not vaccinated in our home, we all still wear masks in situation he has to (playing with a friend, or the store, his therapist, etc), so no matter what if he's got a mask on, he is never the only one with a mask on. EDIT: and I dare someone to say something to us about it.

We were fortunate that both of the friends he had, have parents that took things seriously like us, so when we were ready to have the kids begin doing limited social visits, it was no big deal to have some ground rules of masks and distancing (and outdoors weather permitting), since it was pretty close to what they were already doing.

As far as vaccinations for under 12, I keep hearing end of year/early next year, which who knows. They said "hopefully by the fall" for 12-16 around the new year, and it ended up being May, so maybe possibly hopefully, by the time the school year starts. I don't want them to rush the science, but there's gotta be some behind the scenes discussion about how big of a deal it would be to align with the start of most of the countries school years

Our current plan is for both kids to go to in person school in the fall, but if the numbers keep going up due to the delta variant, I'm going to keep him home again, whether or not the school district has a plan in place. The vaccination rate in Utah is still way too low, and even lower the younger people are. If the district doesn't have any real plan for masks/distancing, and the numbers get worse, I'd very possibly keep my daughter home too, regardless of being vaccinated.

If I've learned anything in the past year and a half, it's that I cant reliably trust more than half the population of this state, and were things more sane in more places, we would move out of here asap. But between housing costs and just generally /gesturesatallthethings in the US, it's hard to think of somewhere to go, that would fit our budget, mental health needs, and personalities, generally.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular

With the way COVID works though you won’t know delta is coming until it’s here for two weeks at which point it’s too late. Or rather act like it’s here now to be safe.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Other thing with the variants is that each one is more contagious than the previous one, so a level of restrictions that would get the job done last year might not work this year. I'm looking forward to getting my second shot next week, though a friend of mine got his yesterday and it's absolutely wrecking him today, so I'm not going to go so far and say I'm excited about it.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Other thing with the variants is that each one is more contagious than the previous one, so a level of restrictions that would get the job done last year might not work this year. I'm looking forward to getting my second shot next week, though a friend of mine got his yesterday and it's absolutely wrecking him today, so I'm not going to go so far and say I'm excited about it.

I've got my second shot the day before yesterday and I'm absolutely fine. Well, OK, my arm did hurt a bit because they jammed a needle into it, but other than that I'm fine.

So, you know, you might also not get wrecked.

This discussion has been closed.