As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] All this for a Toaster? Tag Spoilers!

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    So, we've all seen this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPbB4qfsA14

What the video doesn't tell you, is that the gun does most of the work. So what does that mean? Ashley can do it too. And James. And even Nyreen.

It is hilarious and awesome to watch. Have two of them in your party? Whoops, you don't even need the Catalyst anymore, there's no Reapers left.

sig.gif
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    anyone with AR skills is going to make that thing even better, tho.
    Also, Ashley/James/Nyreen would make pretty lousy gods, Garrus is the Turian for the job!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2022
    One of the skills that they used was Turrian rebel which was obviously garris only.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Still works for Ashley, because she has an Ammo type (Disruptor) and her specific class (Alliance Officer) gets the same weapon damage boosts as Garrus. Now, Ash isn't as audibly cool as Garrus, but she still absolutely demolishes anything put in front of her with that set-up, even on Insanity. Especially against Geth.

The others don't get the same boosts, so the gun does more of the heavy killing lifting, but they're no slouches either.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    At the risk of double-posting, I finished my DudeShep run in ME3LE; Synthesis is as creepy as I remember (#RejectBestEnding). Romanced Ashley, ran Paragon for the most part, but by the time ME3 rolled around, ol' Alexander Shepard was tired of dealing with everyone's daddy issues shit, so Renegade was more popular. Cured the Genophage, brought the Geth and Quarians together, everyone survived except Cortez. That was mostly because I talked to pretty much no one in ME3 aside from Ashley and Traynor, the former because LI and the latter because she's New Kelly. Never got the conversation about Liara's backup plan either, which meant that Reject had to be off the table. Did get Joker and EDI to hook up though, the dude deserves to get his back broken in a good way for once.

Now all that's left is the canon FemShep run, but I'm going to hold off on that for a while.

And Ashley is more of a Gun Primal than Garrus, because she's got more health and shields than Garrus does, so while they both obliterate opponents, Ash is actually useful in more battles (and the ARMAAAAAX AREEEEENAAAA~!). Garrus folds like he's still in the first Mass Effect.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Reminder that ME Legendary edition is free to claim (for your origin account) if you have amazon prime

12/13 of July only

https://gaming.amazon.com/home

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Apparently all the DLC that used to be purchased with BioWare points is now free. So check Origin and see what Mass Effect and Dragon Age DLC you're missing.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    EA giving out old DLC for free while literally at the same time Ubisoft is deactivating servers for older games such that even paid DLC will no longer actually work for several games.

Interesting times.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Is it possible to do a full renegade run of Mass Effect Trilogy and still obtain all squadmates without anybody dying (except the mandatory deaths)?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Is it possible to do a full renegade run of Mass Effect Trilogy and still obtain all squadmates without anybody dying (except the mandatory deaths)?

If by "full Renegade" you mean thoughtlessly take every possible Renegade decision, whenever you are given the option, then extremely no. If you mean "retain a full Renegade alignment while still perhaps getting some Paragon points here and there", yes.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Yeah, isn't the renegade move in 3 is to shoot Kaiden/Ashley rather than reason with them?

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Yeah, isn't the renegade move in 3 is to shoot Kaiden/Ashley rather than reason with them?

Renegade could in general be described as ruthless, ends justify the means, and god help anyone that gets in your way. So for me "full renegade but everyone lives" isn't really "full renegade". And it's not limited to explicit dialog choices. Like ME2, doing loyalty missions are distracting from the primary mission and so a renegade's "choice" should be to ignore them which will ultimately result in many deaths.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Renegade could in general be described as ruthless, ends justify the means, and god help anyone that gets in your way. So for me "full renegade but everyone lives" isn't really "full renegade". And it's not limited to explicit dialog choices. Like ME2, doing loyalty missions are distracting from the primary mission and so a renegade's "choice" should be to ignore them which will ultimately result in many deaths.

Renegade isn't properly defined by the game, is the issue. In ME1, some "Renegade" choices are that it's pretty cool to be racist against all the aliens actually. In ME2, enthusiastically supporting Cerberus is a Renegade thing to do. Then in 3, killing Cerberus and trying to build an alien army (but, you know, with angry eyebrows) are now Renegade things to do.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I just want to be a steam rollin' bitch and still get/keep my whole squad.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I just want to be a steam rollin' bitch and still get/keep my whole squad.

Then you're going to have to pick paragon choices at some points.

Everyone else can get fucked of course

• Options
    On my first mission and femshep already cold-cocked some guy for no particularly good reason. Renegade is going to be fun.

Is it fairly obvious when the renegade choices will cost you a squad member at least so I can avoid that?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    On my first mission and femshep already cold-cocked some guy for no particularly good reason. Renegade is going to be fun.

Is it fairly obvious when the renegade choices will cost you a squad member at least so I can avoid that?

I always played my "full" renegade as friendly to her friends, a dick to everyone else.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

It's more the opposite--the described "very renegade" action (alongside its "very paragon" counterpart, both of which require you clearing total points check) are the easy way to "save" a squad member/diffuse a conflict. To put it as abstractly as possible, if you don't have enough renegade (or paragon) points, you have to go through a longer conversation change, pick the right answers, and possibly done some other event. If you do, you just pick that option (in either red or blue), and breeze through it.

On the subject of bugs, I was very bummed out to see that the "Take These Photos" mission in the Citadel Dock Holding Area is still bugged in LE as it was during the original release of ME3. It's not the end of the world (you don't even get that many war asset points for it), but still, wish they would've fixed it.

• Options
    edited July 2022

In ME1, it'll be real obvious.
    Discussing Saren at gunpoint with Wrex. You either get him to back down, or he takes a bullet. You can be a Renegade and get through it, but I would heavily recommend finding the planet with Wrex's Family Armor first.

Or you can skip all that by not recruiting Wrex in the first place, and he dies in Chora's Den when Sovereign attacks.

Mass Effect 2
    comes down to who's loyalty mission you've done, and if you're smart enough to make the right choices as far as upgrades and crew assignments.

Mass Effect 3
    also depends on who survived (with loyalty) in ME2, as well as whether or not you dump them in ME3 after an ME2 romance
    lookin' at you, Miranda
    and how you treat Ashley/Kaidan on Mars.

And in general just treat Jacob like shit, he's not worth it, even if you romance him. Worst squadmember in all three games, probably.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Kasumi would object

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    If you want the "best" renegade run, you definitely want
    Wreave running the Krogan.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    If you want the "best" renegade run, you definitely want
    Wreave running the Krogan.

Unless you really want to
    betray Wrex.

• Options
    That's not being a renegade, that's just being a dick.

sig.gif
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

...Sorce.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    It is a testament to Bioware's usual skill at character creation that so many fans have a murderous hatred of Jacob for the unforgivable crime of lacking any amusing eccentricities.

• Options
    It is a testament to Bioware's usual skill at character creation that so many fans have a murderous hatred of Jacob for the unforgivable crime of lacking any amusing eccentricities.

Nah, that's not it.

Mass Effect 2: Female Shepards are UNIVERSALLY attracted to Jacob, the player cannot choose to avoid this.
    Mass Effect 3: Jacob breaks up with every female Shepard who acted on that universal attraction. He is the only romance to do this.

This combination was not smart, unless the goal was to create a villain.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I figured they did that because the stats from 2 showed that barely anyone romanced Jacob because Garrus and Thane were right there.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Also gameplay-wise, Grunt outclasses Jacob; both have Incendiary Ammo, but Jacob backs that up with Pull which only works on health bars, whereas Grunt has Concussive Shot, which works on just about everything. So you either get a "security" guy who can float targets and skeet shoot them, or a Krogan who runs in guns blazing knocking down all before him.

Also Drack is way better than Liam, which establishes a really weird pattern in Mass Effect games.
    Orca wrote: »

...Sorce.
    ...What?

sig.gif
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Also gameplay-wise, Grunt outclasses Jacob; both have Incendiary Ammo, but Jacob backs that up with Pull which only works on health bars, whereas Grunt has Concussive Shot, which works on just about everything. So you either get a "security" guy who can float targets and skeet shoot them, or a Krogan who runs in guns blazing knocking down all before him.

Also Drack is way better than Liam, which establishes a really weird pattern in Mass Effect games.

...Sorce.
    ...What?

I know what you did!

• Options

...Sorce.
    ...What?

What's most funny about that is that Grunt is a soldier and Jacob is a vanguard, but it's the the other way around with Drack and Liam.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Jacob's character as a personality was really nice. He's personable, upfront about his feelings and always seems like he's very firm with establishing the boundaries of friendship with Shepard. A person like that in real life would be just a good dude to hang with. If that's all he was he'd be a pretty great romance option in all honesty

His problem is that whole swathes of his backstory culminating in his loyalty mission and his behaviour post-2 evokes some pretty ugly black American stereotypes. I don't know what the optics of the writing were back when the games originally came out, but in hindsight it's pretty shocking how antiquated some of that is.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Jacob is "fine", but that's damning by faint praise.

• Options
    There's also the whole "you got arrested and I couldn't be arsed with that so I moved on".
    Garrus, for example, who isn't always your romantic interest, makes it abundantly clear he's going to have your back right up until the moment you both get zerged by reapers.

Jacob's an exceptional human being, his problem is that he's in team where everyone else is the best of the best.
    I think they could have rolled Jacob and Kai Leng into 1 person for a more entertaining side plot.

• Options
    Jacob also willingly joined Cerberus, so he ain't that nice of a guy.

• Options

I don't think that's a charitable read, iirc he was fed up with the red tape and PR exercises and wanted to do more, as soon as he sees Cerberus is doing shady shit he's out.
    Cults always prey upon peoples' insecurities and good intentions.

• Options
    Gotta love how the Illusive Man is like "Don't put mind control shit in Shepherd, we need them at their most Shepherdness" but ultimately winds up constantly second guessing them if they go Paragon.

It's like, you wanted this you dumbass! This is what you paid for!

• Options
    edited July 2022
    If I was given the task of fixing Jacob as a character, I would lean super hard into what he's already good at, which is being bland. Just exaggerate it to an impossible degree, like Stahl from Fire Emblem: Awakening or Nami Hito from Zetsubou-sensei.

Ivan Hunger on
  • Options

...Sorce.
    ...What?

I know what you did!
    You say that, and yet...
    n6gueyyqpeu6.png

It's not being a renegade, it's being a dick.

sig.gif
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »

I don't think that's a charitable read, iirc he was fed up with the red tape and PR exercises and wanted to do more, as soon as he sees Cerberus is doing shady shit he's out.
    Cults always prey upon peoples' insecurities and good intentions.

Only problem is that we never see Cerberus do anything that isn't super shady. ME1 has them all murdery and big fans of thresher maws, ME2 tries to lampshade this but just ends up producing a Cerberus that's 95% rogue cells by population.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    It's the Broken Clock thing, they were the only ones seriously looking into the colony disappearances; the Alliance barely bothered with it. I don't know how long Jacob was a member of Cerberus, but if he was brought on as a helpful face in the Lazarus Project, then he's no worse than say, Joker or Chakwas. Would have been nice to see them do anything something else positive for the universe at large, but that'd still be unlikely because they're a Human Supremacist organization.

Jacob playing the long game for TIM and ending up being Kai Leng would have been so much better than what we got, though. Give him Stasis instead of Pull, maybe add Charge in ME3, now that would have been at least somewhat formidable. Especially if he kept Incendiary Ammo; he wouldn't even need to be given a guaranteed survival in ME2, just resurrect/upgrade his ass like the actual Kai Leng did regardless.

Sorce on
    sig.gif