As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The most wonderful time for a [BEER]

1272829303133»

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So, growler status: it’s complicated.

Shrug.gif

I guess we’ll see what happens. I’ve at least got the growlers from the same place my wife’s hitting up tonight.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Make sure you do the little extended claws gesture when you growl at them. It's part of it.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I would like a *GRRRROOWWWWLLLL*er of beer

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Make sure to ask about the highest ABV beers that don't have a growler price listed, they love that.

• Options
    After a week of wfh while taking care of the baby my gf sent me out for some me time, so I'm really enjoying this breweries limited brew of a Mosaic Double IPA. i get more time out than normal since she went to the movies yesterday and saw Napoleon without realizing how long it was.

We also had broken AC earlier in the week and spent two days at her mom's. I don't think I've ever felt relief this intense before.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    Had a local 11% rauchbier that was aged in rye barrels for 20 months tonight and it wasn't exactly an easy drinker but it was really interesting, the whiskey presence was strong and honestly I could have used a little more smoke.

This second beer that's an imperial stout with Christmas spices, now this is just delightful.

Edit: sorry, that was Elder Pine's Imperator and Hardywood's Christmas Morning.

Peen on
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    The actual copy for this stout from Breakside that I am drinking at my usual joint's ugly sweater Christmas party:

Here is our stout. It's just a stout. We aren't trying to do anything fancy with it. It's roasty; it's satiating but not sweet or heavy: it's got enough balance to keep things drinkable. Sure there's some nuance to the malt, but this isn't the sort of beer you're supposed to nerd out over.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Local brewery's small batch the other day was a Winter Warmer called Rudolph's revenge and it was interesting. It was mostly enjoyable, but every once in a while the cherry flavor was overpowering. Very weird as it wasn't every sip where it came across like that.

Also picked up a 12 pack sampler of New Belgium with their two new IPA varieties, Cashmerize is another solid entry in their ranks.

• Options
    Ok so having tried the four Christmas beers from Hardywood I can now say that their Gingerbread stout is the standout, followed by the Christmas morning stout that I tried first, then the Gingerbread Porter. The Fluffy Gingerbread Stout wasn't helped by the addition of the marshmallow flavor, at least for me, because I don't necessarily mind a sweeter beer but that was a little too much. Good job overall Hardywood, I'm going to try to make it down to their taproom in Richmond next year.

Sidebar, if anyone knows about other breweries in the Richmond area that I should check out I'd appreciate it. We stopped in to Precarious Beer Project when we were in Williamsburg last Christmas and it's a really neat spot, the beer was all fine, nothing amazing, but it's a really good dining/drinking experience.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Almost through the Aldi Beervent Calendar.

It was basically the beer menu at Buffalo Wild Wings from 2010. 80% IPAs, the rest Pale Ales and Lagers, with a few random styles mixed in. Can packaging/wrapping are cool, festive patterns.

It's fun punching them open and trying that many different beers but really wish they'd step up the quality and variety.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Southern Tier has an Imperial Ale out right now called Frosted Sugar Cookies.

It tastes like sugar cookies and is delicious.

It is also 9 percent and dangerous.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited January 11
    I'm drinking Sierra Nevada's Flipside Red IPA. First of all, I have never heard of a Red IPA before. The first can, I really enjoyed. The second struck me as weak and watery. This one (there are days between these drinkings) I enjoy again!
    It smells more resiny than it tastes. There's a little bit of hop bite, but overall it's pretty balanced. I wonder if it's relative mildness makes it more effected by the food I had with it. Tonight it was popcorn with M&Ms, for what it's worth.
    Anyway, 2 times out of 3, I've enjoyed it. I guess that gives it a thumbs up. 👍

chromdom on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    popcorn with M&Ms,

The Breakfast of Champions.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    It's my dinner, thankyouverymuch!

• Options
    Publix had Goose Island six packs Buy one Get one free and that included their Tropical Beer Hug which is a 10% Imperial IPA which has a lot of fruit flavors and is way too easy to drink for that alcohol percentage and it's awesome that it's on that deal.

Tomorrow I must head to Total Wine to find some Michigan beers to support the Lions on Sunday.

• Options
    BOGO on beer is a great deal. Hope you stocked up. The Hug series is good and yes so easy drinking.

Somebody commented in the food thread about Super Bowl too; I had to go check it was still on the 11th, had me wondering if it was tomorrow.

• Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    BOGO on beer is a great deal. Hope you stocked up. The Hug series is good and yes so easy drinking.

Somebody commented in the food thread about Super Bowl too; I had to go check it was still on the 11th, had me wondering if it was tomorrow.

Publix has the deal pretty often so I don't stock up. This week they have Kona on the deal, but they never have the Kona IPAs which bums me out. Longboard and Big Wave are goid, but they're not super wxciting beers.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    edited February 20
    49gc3a3vbgow.jpg

Dog friendly bars are just the best.

The Judge on
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Did they order a Barq's Root Beer?

• Options
    I got a bottle of the 2022 Goose Island Bourbon County Coffee Stout and I have a few thoughts.

Thought #1: the fact that it was $30 for not quite two pints clued me in that it was probably good but I didn't think of the potential corollary thought, maybe do a small pour first. This leads directly to

Thought #2: look, it's objectively spectacular. Incredibly rich, thick and luxurious mouth feel, layered flavor with the coffee and bourbon aging and damn fine chocolatey stout underneath, but a full glass is just too much. I wish I'd known to pour a few ounces to taste and dissect and relish and then pour a full glass of something with less body and character.

I don't regret how much I drank but I should have stretched that bottle into three or four sittings, not the two I'll get out of it now. Learn from my hubris friends, take a special stout slowly.

• Options
    Got a cool stemmed glass from a brewery in my wife's hometown. If you're ever in Johnstown PA, and I can't imagine why you would be, I definitely recommend this place for the food and qualified recommend their beer, they weren't all great but they have a strawberry champagne seltzer that was pretty fantastic.

bs4ueljkj8cd.jpg

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 29
    My favorite brewery is about to drop what will probably be a very dumb beer.
    We are releasing the most absolutely insane beer to date, Kenny’s Munchie Run, as well as Awfully Tart Kandiez. More info on Kenny’s beer closer to the date, but you could also youtube it right now for a hint.
    Half Baked wrote:
    Brian: Get some sour cream and onion chips with some dip, man, some beef jerky, some peanut butter. Get some Häagen-Dazs ice cream bars, a whole lot, make sure chocolate, gotta have chocolate, man. Some popcorn, red popcorn, graham crackers, graham crackers with marshmallows, the little marshmallows and little chocolate bars and we can make s'mores, man. Also, celery, grape jelly, Cap'n Crunch with the little Crunch berries, pizzas. We need two big pizzas, man, everything on 'em, with water, whole lotta water, and Funyons

Kyougu on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    those are some stupidly big pictures fyi, kyougu

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Fixed! Sorry about that.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular