Options

[Metroid] Expecting Prime 4? TOO BAD PRIME 1 REMASTER TIME.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Besides the time based unlocks, is there anything in the Extras menu to unlock for getting 100% items on hard mode?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    no, the only thing you unlock from 100% is the first gallery for all the zones and the one extra image for 100%, the normal/hard gallery is only time-based

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Woooo I finally beat this game! Took me many... MANY hours, and at the end of the day I have many thoughts and feelings about this game. I think I'm going to collect my thoughts and post about it later. But overall I'm just happy that Metroid got a new game and that it was very good.

• Options
    Also, surely I was not the only one who still shot EMMI Zone doors even though you don't need to... force of habit and all.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Also, surely I was not the only one who still shot EMMI Zone doors even though you don't need to... force of habit and all.

...Worst part of Other M: No real shooting of doors.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Why is everyone trying to make bioweapons when there's this awesome power suit tech. Fiddling with metroids or phazon that'll always go out of control when you got sweet chozo weapons.

it's too haaaaarrrd apparently

The space pirates certainly thought so. Don't forget the Prime logs re: Morph Ball tech...

Chozo tech isn't just a little ahead of current Federation tech, it's like... eons beyond anything available in the galaxy. The Chozo were so far advanced that they sort of just stopped advancing technology because they figured out how to get further with philosophy and the mind and shit like that. They were so advanced they got bored of technology, and it just kinda became the backdrop for everything else they considered actually important.

Samus going around the galaxy and finding all this crazy Chozo gear is like us wandering into an abandoned neighborhood and being amazed at finding things like a nice waterproof jacket in the basement closet. Sure, it's not bad, but wouldn't you rather something amazing like the internet access? An assortment of flying drones? How about this sweet garage decked out as a machine shop, with a kickass Ferrari inside? No? You want to take the... Segway. Okay. Well, you do you, hope you like it. We'll just be the next dimensional street inwards, pondering applications of the higher dimensions in increasing the fidelity of telepathy. If you need help or something.

Oh look, she found a pair of socks she likes, how nice.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Notably, I think it was largely the Chozo who settled on Tallon IV that really got super deep into spiritualism to the point of ascending to a higher plane of existence.

Those are the ones who intentionally forewent the use of most of their tech when they got to their new home, choosing instead to build their home from stone and branches. Up until the Phazon meteor hit and they bent their strongest tech towards sealing it away, and seeding the planet with weapons for their prophesied savior, that is.

Samus Returns and Dread feature some different Chozo tribes.
    The Thoha were definitely still on a spiritual and philosophical track. But they also jumped straight to bioengineering a new creature in order to contain the X. Samus Returns also showed them discovering and experimenting with Aeion energy; I would assume that the Aeion devices Samus finds in Dread are also of Thoha make.

Meanwhile, the Mawkin… they were as far removed from the attitude of the Tallon IV tribe as possible. They absolutely still love having advanced technology, and powerful weaponry.

The Chozo were a pretty diverse bunch, and I’d love to get information on when and how some of those schisms came about.

Enlong on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Notably, I think it was largely the Chozo who settled on Tallon IV that really got super deep into spiritualism to the point of ascending to a higher plane of existence.

Those are the ones who intentionally forewent the use of most of their tech when they got to their new home, choosing instead to build their home from stone and branches. Up until the Phazon meteor hit and they bent their strongest tech towards sealing it away, and seeding the planet with weapons for their prophesied savior, that is.

Samus Returns and Dread feature some different Chozo tribes.
    The Thoha were definitely still on a spiritual and philosophical track. But they also jumped straight to bioengineering a new creature in order to contain the X. Samus Returns also showed them discovering and experimenting with Aeion energy; I would assume that the Aeion devices Samus finds in Dread are also of Thoha make.

Meanwhile, the Mawkin… they were as far removed from the attitude of the Tallon IV tribe as possible. They absolutely still love having advanced technology, and powerful weaponry.

The Chozo were a pretty diverse bunch, and I’d love to get information on when and how some of those schisms came about.

It's actually kind of a refreshing (if very not fleshed out) take on an alien society. Far too many times it's like "These are the Blarthorgs. They are <insert defining two maybe three characteristics here>, now then moving on these are the Aeilhrugs they are" etc.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    I like Dread but
    I think it's been a mistake to have the chozo be more recently present as a force in the galaxy than the forgotten mists of antiquity before the rise of the current star civilizations. The couple of chozo that raised Samus I can live with, weird hermits who are pretty much the last remnants of their civilization and live on an abandoned planet full of ruins of the chozo civilization fits. With the prime games' chozo it was ambiguous how long ago they had been around, you could reasonably interpret the ruins on Tallon IV as being centuries or millenia old and the phazon meteor was simply contained for all the time until the pirates started digging into it. But Dread has really opened up a can of worms in the lore of making the chozo present like, yesterday, like whoops Samus you just barely missed running into Uncle Raven Beak and his army of chozo warriors on SR388 on your way out with The Baby! The scientist tribe on SR388 was actually doing fine down there a couple decades ago!

It takes all the crumbling ruins of a forgotten space civilization mystique away and raises awkward questions about their relationship to the rest of the galaxy as the guys with super-advanced tech they're not letting anyone else have; or why the chozo are just sitting around just out of frame, not solving any of the problems they created and just left for Samus to clean up.

Still, better this kind of lore nitpicking than fucking Other M.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

At that point it’s not even a Metroid game. It’s just a game with metroids in it, like Kid Icarus.

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »

At that point it’s not even a Metroid game. It’s just a game with metroids in it, like Kid Icarus.

Shhh! We’re not supposed to talk about that!

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Taramoor wrote: »

Or Kirby's Dreamland 3!

Interesting fact: Metroids cannot drain Kirby's energy. He is beyond them.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I like Dread but
    I think it's been a mistake to have the chozo be more recently present as a force in the galaxy than the forgotten mists of antiquity before the rise of the current star civilizations. The couple of chozo that raised Samus I can live with, weird hermits who are pretty much the last remnants of their civilization and live on an abandoned planet full of ruins of the chozo civilization fits. With the prime games' chozo it was ambiguous how long ago they had been around, you could reasonably interpret the ruins on Tallon IV as being centuries or millenia old and the phazon meteor was simply contained for all the time until the pirates started digging into it. But Dread has really opened up a can of worms in the lore of making the chozo present like, yesterday, like whoops Samus you just barely missed running into Uncle Raven Beak and his army of chozo warriors on SR388 on your way out with The Baby! The scientist tribe on SR388 was actually doing fine down there a couple decades ago!

It takes all the crumbling ruins of a forgotten space civilization mystique away and raises awkward questions about their relationship to the rest of the galaxy as the guys with super-advanced tech they're not letting anyone else have; or why the chozo are just sitting around just out of frame, not solving any of the problems they created and just left for Samus to clean up.

But
    Samus was literally raised by Chozo. Sure, a lot have them have Fucked Off To Space in classic SS13 fashion but they were around enough in living memory to be openly trading with individual colonies such that they stopped by regularly. We also don't know how long ago Raven Beak fucked it with the Metroid thing, that could have been hundreds of years ago, we have no idea how long Chozo can live.

Old Bird coulda just called him on the birdphone all "Hey can you help me out", he shows up by himself to help with Samus and then promptly Fucks Off To Space again.

So they're both incredibly ancient with a long legacy and the days of their dominance are long past, and they're ALSO still very much in this world.

• Options
    MechMantis wrote: »
    I like Dread but

But
    Samus was literally raised by Chozo. Sure, a lot have them have Fucked Off To Space in classic SS13 fashion but they were around enough in living memory to be openly trading with individual colonies such that they stopped by regularly. We also don't know how long ago Raven Beak fucked it with the Metroid thing, that could have been hundreds of years ago, we have no idea how long Chozo can live.

Old Bird coulda just called him on the birdphone all "Hey can you help me out", he shows up by himself to help with Samus and then promptly Fucks Off To Space again.

So they're both incredibly ancient with a long legacy and the days of their dominance are long past, and they're ALSO still very much in this world.
    Yeah, that's the thing with the Chozo. They've got old ruins dotted around the galaxy, but we've known for a long time that at least some were around as recently as Samus's childhood. If the Chozo were extinct in the modern setting of the games, it can't have happened any earlier than about 1 generation ago. The Chozo have a long history, but it's been clear for a while that it didn't end very long ago (if it did, depending on the tribe).

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I mean, we have ancient ruins and we're still around.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I mean, we have ancient ruins and we're still around.

This is on an Oregon Trail gravestone somewhere

• Options
    edited October 2021
    I just think they have overexplained the chozo, filled in too much of the background and history and stripped them of their mystique. Sometimes shit's cooler when it's just a mystery.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I just think they have overexplained the chozo, filled in too much of the background and history and stripped them of their mystique. Sometimes shit's cooler when it's just a mystery.
    Most of what we know of the Thoha, we knew back in Metroid Fusion (or whichever game atually explained that it was definitely the Chozo who made the Metroids). Samus Returns added a vignette of how the SR-388 Chozo fell. And Dread basically just explained the names of the two tribes in question, and a non-answer to how the Thoha controlled the Metroids (they just could).

I feel like most other stuff (when and why the Thoha came to SR-388, what the Mawkin were doing up until that point shown i nthe mural, why Raven Beak collaborated with the Zebes tribe, why some Thoha were on Zebes, where all the others went, how many other worlds had, or might still have, living Chozo) remains up in the air.

Personally, I feel like giving the Chozo tribes names and exploring the rift between two of them, it actually opens up more possibilities for them. There was a time when I would've painted most of them with the same brush as the Tallon IV tribe, in terms of where and how they lived, but such is clearly not the case.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular

This is really just a problem with long-running, potentially never ending story telling. If Metroid ended with part 3, we'd probably have been fine with a little mystery, but if they were left unexplained with 5 games and 4 spin-offs, it would feel like a cop-out.

Like, look at the X-Men. Wolverine and Gambit had a lot of their appeal wrapped up in their mysterious pasts. But you can only tease fans for so long before they insist on seeing those back stories, and you have to take your chances that the story you give lives up to the hype.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Possible answer to a future redesign of the Zero Suit:
    ki9juv6p2hsz.png

I like it!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The whole zero suit concept could be dropped I think. I don't think there's any reason she needs to be vacuum packed in a blue catsuit anymore than she needs to be running around in her skivvies.

One thing I dislike Zero Mission for is cramming "zero" in anywhere possible. They even retconed Mother Brain's motivation to wanting to "reset the galaxy to zero." They just square peg round holed that zero shit all over.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The funny thing is Zero Mission still had her in a completely different outfit in the endings. It's only later games that just started using that over and over.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    The whole zero suit concept could be dropped I think. I don't think there's any reason she needs to be vacuum packed in a blue catsuit anymore than she needs to be running around in her skivvies.

One thing I dislike Zero Mission for is cramming "zero" in anywhere possible. They even retconed Mother Brain's motivation to wanting to "reset the galaxy to zero." They just square peg round holed that zero shit all over.

I dunno, it kinda makes sense in like an aerodynamic sense. She doesn't want something that's gonna get caught on the pieces of her suit or constrain her movements :P At least I think it makes more logical sense than the bikini they used to put her in (or that one time they mentioned they wanted to make her naked under the suit in Super Metroid... -_-).

At this point it's kind of iconic so I doubt they'll ever get rid of it entirely. They might redesign it like how her Power Suit has changed a bunch but I imagine it's always gonna be some kind of blue catsuit.

Side note, I recently saw the ending of Prime again and wow that just looks so weird now. It wasn't at the time obviously but Samus's face just looks so off-model there :D I think it was right after this that they really started pushing the actual yellow hair and specific face design that they just use everywhere now.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    yeah her current look was established firmly in zero mission I think

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I dunno, it kinda makes sense in like an aerodynamic sense. She doesn't want something that's gonna get caught on the pieces of her suit or constrain her movements :P At least I think it makes more logical sense than the bikini they used to put her in (or that one time they mentioned they wanted to make her naked under the suit in Super Metroid... -_-).

At this point it's kind of iconic so I doubt they'll ever get rid of it entirely. They might redesign it like how her Power Suit has changed a bunch but I imagine it's always gonna be some kind of blue catsuit.

Side note, I recently saw the ending of Prime again and wow that just looks so weird now. It wasn't at the time obviously but Samus's face just looks so off-model there :D I think it was right after this that they really started pushing the actual yellow hair and specific face design that they just use everywhere now.

No joke, modern martial artists love close-fitting spandex. It keeps the skin from rubbing directly against surfaces (including someone else's skin) that can lead to rashes while being too tight to be grabbed separate from the body. To that end, the close fitting catsuit does make sense assuming it's a bit thicker to pad the power suit.

Modern martial artists also love wearing as few clothes as they can get away with for even less things that can catch on limbs or be caught but that's less practical with a layer of armor on top.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I think the zero suit would be fine if they removed the deliberate outlines on her ass and chest.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    After beating Normal in 8 hours and 5 minutes, I've now beaten Hard in 4 hours, 1 minute, and 26 seconds. Not sure if I'm able to shave 90 seconds off the final boss fight and outro sequence, so that's probably a no on the 4 hour mark for hard mode. Oh well.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    A quick google search for Metroid Zero Suit redesign turns up plenty of good concepts, this one might be my favorite:

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I’m 90% sure that Sami’s wore a bikini under her suit because Ripley did. The zero suit makes sense in the way that you want a layer between your skin and anything rigid. I guess there should be a layer between the zero suit and the armor for cooling and insulation (to model it after a real space suit) or that could be incorporated into the zero suit. Or Chozo tech is sufficiently advanced enough to have those layers built into the armor, though I guess they might be missing if you need to get the upgrades to survive extreme temperatures…

I wonder if we talk about Samus’s costume more or less often than other heroines (I think it’s more) and if so, is it because her character is less defined than something like the modern Lara Croft causing us to project more onto her?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    There's a long and storied history of video game heroines being designed heavy on the T&A, where Samus has been one of few examples where you have a female protagonist that doesn't rely on big swinging titties to juice sales or whatever. Her gear gets a lot of attention I think because there is a desire to maintain that, to keep the male gaze sex appeal nonsense out of Metroid.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    There's a long and storied history of video game heroines being designed heavy on the T&A, where Samus has been one of few examples where you have a female protagonist that doesn't rely on big swinging titties to juice sales or whatever. Her gear gets a lot of attention I think because there is a desire to maintain that, to keep the male gaze sex appeal nonsense out of Metroid.

Also her gear was literally all there was to her for a long time. Until very recent editions* she had zero presented personality, and the fact that she was female at all was the first game's big reveal. Gear puts the "metroid" in "metroidvania".

*In terms of release order, not actual years obv.

• Options

Wait, where was that line about Mother Brain used? I don’t recall it showing up anywhere in Zero Mission or its manual. The only time the word “Zero” is even used in that game is with a title drop in the intro monologue (where Samus refers to her first adventure on Zebes as a bounty Hunter as her “so-called Zero Mission”)

I do know that games like Smash Bros started actually calling the under-suit the “Zero Suit”, and even called Samus’s Final Smash “Zero Laser” (when Hyper Beam probably would’ve made more sense, but it’s not like Smash always picks the sensible names).

• Options
    If they make the zero suit look more like an astronaut's cooling suit, and maybe added contact points where you can interface with the rest of her power armor, that would look really neat.

.. alternatively, that would just kind of look like a plug suit LOL...

• Options
    If they make the zero suit look more like an astronaut's cooling suit, and maybe added contact points where you can interface with the rest of her power armor, that would look really neat.

.. alternatively, that would just kind of look like a plug suit LOL...

We already have overt references to the Alien series. Why not Evangelion on top of it?

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My god....the Varia suit has gone BERSERK!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    My god....the Varia suit has gone BERSERK!

[All of Dread]
    I mean, given the effects of the Metroid Suit, that’s not too far off from what actually went down.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    "She's... eating the metroid?"
    *gags*

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Again, Metroids look delicious. Would deffo take a bite out of the blue jelly part, especially with some X poppers on the side

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ouchiesouchies Registered User regular
    Hahaha, I suck at Metroid. Samus Returns wrapped up for the first time; 100% items at 16:01. I’m not in a rush to replay this game, I want to go ahead to Super Metroid, but damn if I care about my clear time.