As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Chairem [Anime] Thread

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    legend

of

the

galactic

heroes

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    i think i read/watch more josei and/or non-shonen than most people in this thread, plus definitely more 70s anime, I should do recommendations

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    my brother foisted his rose of versailles dvds on me after i finished utena but i haven't gotten around to watching them yet

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I am curious about 70s anime, pre-80s is an era I have almost no knowledge of. There's like, original gundam in '79, and a bunch of Leiji Matsumoto works like space battleship yamato, galaxy express 999, space pirate captain harlock... is astro boy from the 70s?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Older anime is definitely a huge blind spot for me, both because of availability and style. I’d be interested to hear your recommendations for sure.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Galaxy Express 999 is probably the oldest anime I've seen, with the next stuff being like the old Ghibli stuff, the little bits of Sailor Moon or DBZ that would occasionally be on the channel we barely got reception on on some Saturday mornings, at 6. Or The Noozles, which was on Nickelodeon so I could only watch it at my grandparents house and I never saw the finale.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    70s anime?

Fuck yes, let's all watch some Mazinger Z

• Options
    if you're a fan of anno's work at all or even have an opinion on it, you kinda have to watch a bit of aim for the ace, as it's entirely what gunbuster's riffing on

• Options
    And then we can move straight on into Great Mazinger

Dash! Dash! Da da da da

• Options
    I am curious about 70s anime, pre-80s is an era I have almost no knowledge of. There's like, original gundam in '79, and a bunch of Leiji Matsumoto works like space battleship yamato, galaxy express 999, space pirate captain harlock... is astro boy from the 70s?

astro boy's 1963, 3 years before cyborg 009 and the original osomatsu-kun, same year as Tetsujin Nijuhachi-go, aka Gigantor

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    And then we can move straight on into Great Mazinger

Dash! Dash! Da da da da

SCRAMBLE!

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    i would consider chihayafuru relatively mainstream since it's had multiple film adaptations

It’s mainstream among big anime fans, but it’s definitely at the level of “ok, I liked and watched all these shows I saw on adult swim or these widely discussed shonen shows and got a crunchyroll account, what’s the next step?”

It’s one I’d definitely whole heartedly recommend.

I’m just always approaching anime recommendations from a perspective of how deep down the rabbit hole someone is from what shows they’re saying they watched. Stilts helped me out big time in a similar way when I asked for recommendations a few years ago.

Awww, thank you! And yeah, Chihayafuru rules. Absolutely fantastic show.

To be honest, I've barely watched any anime lately, mostly 'cuz I got completely burned out by doing an anime review podcast for decade. I've been watching the newest JoJo, keeping up with GGP on Turn A Gundam and Gundam SEED, and watched Eizouken back when it first came out. And that's pretty much it?

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    The last couple seasons have been kinda awful with only a few exceptions, you haven’t missed much tbh.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    komi can't communicate is very cute if you want a light-hearted comedy romance with some feels

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I am very much the anime fan that largely does not like anime even though I like anime.

I just cannot go in for the overly cutesy or fanservicey stuff. I like animes where the people do huge punches and use their punches to overcome obstacles, essentially.

That's simplifying a bit but you know. It's hard to describe what exactly I like in a show. It either needs to have: really good production and animation so I can enjoy it on a purely visual level, a more "mature-ish" tone (I know that's vague but I do not possess the anime vocabulary to describe what I am talking about because I am an idiot weeb baby) or it needs to not take itself seriously in the least.

So basically I am the most vanilla anime man. I will watch the Bebops and the Full Metals and the One Punches (and recently the Jujutsus) and that's kinda what I enjoy and I usually stay in those lanes where I can.

Also, I really wish more anime was set in regular old modern day Japan. One of the reasons I super enjoyed Way of The House Husband and even Aggretsuko is because they were both like "here is a regular house or office in Japan. Behold." And I'm all like "hell yeah show me dat office." I get a little frustrated with every animes insistence on Samurai swords and kimonos. Even the stuff set in a modern or future era will just have one person dressed like an Edo period ronin who slices bullets in half and I am kinda super extremely tired of it. That said I'd like for American media to just start shoehorning at least one actual gunslinging cowboy into everything regardless of context because I am a filthy hypocrite.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    What if anime had cool big robots?

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    What if anime had cool big robots?

Get out of my office.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Sometimes the big robots punch each other though!

• Options
    if you like anime set in modern japan and also fullmetal alchemist, you could try silver spoon for a change, which is based on the author of fma's experience growing up in rural japan

it's not punches but her sense of pacing and character conflict is as good as it is in fma

• Options
    Sometimes the big robots punch each other though!

Sometimes

They ROCKET PUNCH

Also Breast Fire

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I like animes where the people do huge punches and use their punches to overcome obstacles, essentially.

I will recommend Symphogear again, more seriously this time.

It is a plot point that they can solve literally any problem by punching it. And if it didnt work, well, you must not have punched hard enough. Give an emotional speech and try again.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I am very much the anime fan that largely does not like anime even though I like anime.

I just cannot go in for the overly cutesy or fanservicey stuff. I like animes where the people do huge punches and use their punches to overcome obstacles, essentially.

That's simplifying a bit but you know. It's hard to describe what exactly I like in a show. It either needs to have: really good production and animation so I can enjoy it on a purely visual level, a more "mature-ish" tone (I know that's vague but I do not possess the anime vocabulary to describe what I am talking about because I am an idiot weeb baby) or it needs to not take itself seriously in the least.

So basically I am the most vanilla anime man. I will watch the Bebops and the Full Metals and the One Punches (and recently the Jujutsus) and that's kinda what I enjoy and I usually stay in those lanes where I can.

Also, I really wish more anime was set in regular old modern day Japan. One of the reasons I super enjoyed Way of The House Husband and even Aggretsuko is because they were both like "here is a regular house or office in Japan. Behold." And I'm all like "hell yeah show me dat office." I get a little frustrated with every animes insistence on Samurai swords and kimonos. Even the stuff set in a modern or future era will just have one person dressed like an Edo period ronin who slices bullets in half and I am kinda super extremely tired of it. That said I'd like for American media to just start shoehorning at least one actual gunslinging cowboy into everything regardless of context because I am a filthy hypocrite.

let me tell you about Keijo!!!

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I recommend Scryed for punches solving all problems.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Keijo is the best horny anime that is very explicitly and clearly not horny at all. Those breasts and butts have the power of friendship and bullshit pseudo magical powers within them

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

let me tell you about Keijo!!!

you're missing five more exclamation points

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

If someone wanted to take this advice, is it even possible legally right now?

• Options
    i think the camera in keijo!!!!!!!! can have a Gaze to it, but the fiction itself is very sexless

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

yeah its on bluray/dvd at least. i've seen it on amazon

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    I am here once again to recommend Odd Taxi

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Ah, reissued this year. I had seen it as unavailable last I checked.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Crunchyroll has it streaming, actually.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    i think the camera in keijo!!!!!!!! can have a Gaze to it, but the fiction itself is very sexless

Which is incredibly impressive considering some of the powers on display.

I very much want to link a video for Gate of Bootylon especially.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

I have never heard of this show, and now...I'm unsure I want to know.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »

Google that phrase and enjoy the ride

• Options

it is jojo with butts instead of stands

it's also a parody show played completely straight and is stupid as hell and the writers know it

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    if you like anime set in modern japan and also fullmetal alchemist, you could try silver spoon for a change, which is based on the author of fma's experience growing up in rural japan

it's not punches but her sense of pacing and character conflict is as good as it is in fma

Silver Spoon is just extremely good.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular

f1ab8ab731fd2c806da4a4d8202cdf5fd4979c81v2_hq.jpg

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I am perpetually baffled by Keijo's ability to evade this thread's immune system.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I have a pretty high tolerance for goofy anime bullshit, but Keijo was little a too much for me even if I was in on the joke

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    I am perpetually baffled by Keijo's ability to evade this thread's immune system.

Same. I mean, I enjoyed it. It's fun, silly, and over the top, but sexless? Multiple characters exist solely to grope or be groped while moaning.

And never watch the DVD extras unless you want that illusion painfully shattered.

ztrEPtD.gif
This discussion has been closed.