As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Queer] thread: A Gay ‘Ol Time

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    After about four months' of silence, my sister is talking to me again! She was very mad that I did not go to her reception/wedding redo (got married last October but it was outdoors with only like 15 people, so they wanted the proper party now that vaccines are common), and assured me that she just needed time to think.

We spent almost three hours last night catching up, her reaction to me having a tattoo was very funny.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    My doctor starting me on hormones: "Everyone's different, but it'll probably be 6 months before you start really noticing the physical effects of the hormones."
    Me, a couple months later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOrJe5B4HxU

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    So anyway how's everyone doing?

I'm hoping to make it through the holidays without having to talk about gender stuff with my parents. They are nominally supportive, and I do believe they genuinely want me to be happy and if this is how I get to that point then they'll support me.

But on the other hand, the last conversation I had with my mother about it, she said she'd never seen any evidence or noticed anything about me to suggest that this might be who I really was, and then when apparently my poker face wasn't good enough to hide the fact that that was a hurtful comment, came to me later in tears because she just wants me to be happy and then 'apparently' says the wrong thing and now I'm having to comfort her which is cool.

So, y'know. Definitely not the worst situation to be in around the holidays for a trans person, as I'm fairly certain I can avoid upsetting conversations by 'just' having to present male and never talk about gender stuff. Definitely won't have relatives calling me an abomination or anything, nor snide passive aggressive comments around the dinner table. And my family is at least liberal, so there's also that. Still, I'll be mostly looking forward to the other side of the visit when I get to come back home. And if my mother gets it into her head that she wants to clear the air on any of my gender stuff, well, all bets are off...

Thoughts with all my queer family during this time of year, as always. <3

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Thoughts with all my queer family during this time of year, as always. <3
    @Hi I'm Vee! Right back 'atcha! :heartbeat: *hugs*

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Is there a specific hair removal wax that's better than others? Or is the better thing some other method entirely?

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I used a hair clipper and then finished with a razor. Wax sounds excruciating

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Sugar waxing is in my opinion superior to other waxing methods

Platy on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Picked up my Christmas wrapping paper in the supermarket today
    k0sqffo1eqns.jpg

Going to wrap everybody's presents in it and turn them trans. I'm pretty sure that's how it works, right?

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    The science checks out 👍

• Options
  • Options

I just want to avoid having to do it every few days and it takes a while. Excruciating is ok if it's only a few minutes once a week or whatever.

My hair is persistent.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Aistan wrote: »

I just want to avoid having to do it every few days and it takes a while. Excruciating is ok if it's only a few minutes once a week or whatever.

My hair is persistent.

Oh I hear ya. I just had an experience with medical tape and an estrogen patch on my thigh I thought was clear of hair and well. Never again

King Riptor on
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I switched to an epilator because shaving left me with velcro legs. Much better results, but boy howdy does it suck to get started with it. Once your follicles start giving up their death grip on the hairs though it's no longer excruciating. Still have to do it once a week though.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Epilator is one of those names of things that just gives me a vague sense of unease like I don’t know what it’s doing but I know it’s sinister

• Options
    I mean, you're not wrong.. they look like an miniaturised industrial shredder at the business end.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    it sounds like the name of a Transformer

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    it sounds like the name of a Transformer
    Soundwave was/is definitely canonically Trans.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Just read this very long but very good and extremely cathartic article called Empathy for Cis People. Highly recommended.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Just read this very long but very good and extremely cathartic article called Empathy for Cis People. Highly recommended.

Fucking hell.

• Options
    I have been averse to disclosing such information, not only for my own safety and comfort, but because I do not want to embarrass the other person by forcing them to admit to my face that they would not date a trans person.

Oh hey look it's me except instead it's constantly worrying someone's going to misgender me, not because it will make me feel bad (although it will) but because I will then have to embarrass the person by pointing out that they misgendered me.

(And also a million other things I'm worried might end up embarrassing cis people)

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    i just read this without looking at the length in advance and then immediately shared it with friends and the first comment was just "this says 46m read"

• Options
    hmm, well seems like Naganuma might be trans for real after all, they've been tweeting about it more, but it's still hard to tell sincere tweets from them from shitposts

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Have started the process of murdering my hair with lasers.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    LASER

KANNON

DETH SENTENCE

(for hairs)

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    There's a gorgeous new knit sweater pattern out recently called Reignbeaux. And it's got a really neat construction.

And I'm really really struggling to resist picking it up and knitting my pan-demi pride flag into a sweater.

To be clear, my only resistance is necessary I've got 4 other projects already on needles, not from any shame.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've dropped the they/she and have gone back to just they/them. Just didn't feel "right", and I vastly preferred they/them anyway.

I can be a themsbien without femme pronouns just fine.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    I've just heard that the psychiatrist who did my original assessment/referral for HRT 3 years ago has recently made it known they're non-binary. Which is pretty cool. It would be nice to have a lot more trans doctors working in trans health.

I also just remembered to check something about Sanjrani in The Expanse. I was pretty sure I heard Avasarala use singular they in reference to them last episode I watched, but I wasn't sure if she was actually refering to a group. According to the Expanse wiki though, TV Sanjrani is canonically NB. Book Sanjrani is male, so they deliberately added that in for the show, which I just thought was neat. And the actor is also NB.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Ive been using silicon medical tape to hold my patches on and uh it turns out I have an allergy to Silicon.
    So back to the cheap cloth tape

• Options
    Hey [Queer Thread] it's my second re-birthday/vagina-versary today! Woo! :cool: :star: :razz: :heartbeat:

Vaginas are cool. Can recommend. 10/10 lifesaving 4 'sho. :heartbeat:

I still feel like I need to apologise for this timeline we are all living through now. The Universe couldn't handle the wanton destruction of such massive cajone's, so I accidentally broke the time-line through some sort of paradox event and woke up in this one.

You're all welcome. :P

• Options
    Oh hell yeah, secured a place with two other queer roomies in Hartford. Not quite the initial goal of Boston, but it's close enough for me.

So as of Feb 13th, I say goodbye to the South for good.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    My therapist is nonbinary and specializes in queer patients, I specifically chose them because of it. :)

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Has anyone listened to the short, 6 ep series on the story of Miriam Rivera? She was the star of There’s Something About Miriam, a UK dating show.

CW: transphobia, and spoilers I guess, for the story
    The whole premise is that the cis het men were not told Miriam was a trans lady, but heavily implied she was cis. They revealed the full story to the men at the very end.

The reality show clearly was fucking terrible, and while I did get angry at how much they platformed shitty cis het ideas of gender identity and sexual preferences, towards the end they really did a moving job in telling Miriam’s personal story. I was just so incredibly sad at the end about the waste of her life, and how cis het society fucks over queer folks, especially trans and gender non conforming folks.

I’m not sure if I can recommend it, but I was curious if anyone else had listened to it and had thoughts

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    I was wondering if any of those old "I got turned into a girl and it's totally not my fault and this is horrible" webcomics from 10+ years ago can still be found on the internet

I remember there were so many of those and I find myself curious as to how conflicts in those comics were actually resolved (I think I never read more than a few pages)

Anyone out there still able to point me

• Options
    first one that springs to mind is Misfile
    which is actually still updating in 2022? huh
    looks like the original story ended and the author started a new one at some point, same art style as fuckin' 2009 or whenever I first saw it on keenspot though.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    El Goonish Shive appears to still be going as well

note that this is not an endorsement, I have no idea if it's actually good, gotten better/worse, etc

it's just the one that came to mind

• Options
    Thank you two for pointing me!

I found multiple sources which suggest a transmasculine reading for Misfile (rather than it being a mid-2000s transfeminine fantasy)

I saw a few pages for El Goonish Shive where the comic was very cruel to the character who got their gender swapped

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    EGS' author (and the comic as a result) definitely matured and learned as time went by, but I imagine those early stories are kind of rough.

I don't remember what Real Life Comic had aside from the genderswapped main character showing up in some stories, but the author of that relatively recently came out as trans.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Have started the process of murdering my hair with lasers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o51keVP_BxU

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    first one that springs to mind is Misfile
    which is actually still updating in 2022? huh
    looks like the original story ended and the author started a new one at some point, same art style as fuckin' 2009 or whenever I first saw it on keenspot though.
    The only nice thing I can say about Misfile is that the protagonist actually hates it so it’s more like reading about a trans man. Although that was like…a decade ago so maybe it got worse but I recall it acknowledged Trans Day of Remembrance in 2009 so someone on there is trans or knew someone trans.

…it’s still not a good comic.

YL9WnCY.png