As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Queer] thread: A Gay ‘Ol Time

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited March 19
    Weaver wrote: »
    Switched to the injections, should be able to pick up at the end of the week, all of the pharmacies in my health care system were out so they had to order in from the manufacturer, and looks like my copay is gonna be going from $50 for a month of pills to $30-something for three months of vials and injection supplies. Putting this in the big win column.

Just needs a fancy coat and walking stick now

myvhx3yzy9x5.png

honovere on
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    XenaLena wrote: »
    I have a question. I'm demisexual, and I notice that I don't get attached easy to people but when I do, I do. I'm not sure if that is part of being demisexual or just my personality type? 🤔

What would it change if it were one or the other?

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    I have a question. I'm demisexual, and I notice that I don't get attached easy to people but when I do, I do. I'm not sure if that is part of being demisexual or just my personality type? 🤔

I have the same thing and am not demi-sexual. I know allosexual people as well this happens for. I imagine the one informs the other, but it is separate things I think.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 19
    Had my first gay date last night with a cool dude that made me feel very special. Had too much fun and lost track of time in the first part of the date until most of the restaurants had closed their kitchen, but after wandering around for a half hour we found a place and had a really good meal. We're already looking into scheduling a second date.

Still not happy with myself for hiding who I am from me and the world for so long, but it's getting better and more experiences like this will only help. Also having an incredible wife that is cheerleading me on in this adventure helps tremendously, too.

Have an appointment on April 15 to talk to my primary care physician for the first time in like 5 years. Got lucky in getting into a great clinic for gender affirming care, and I plan to start the HRT process then.

Veevee on
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Go you :)

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Had my first gay date last night with a cool dude that made me feel very special. Had too much fun and lost track of time in the first part of the date until most of the restaurants had closed their kitchen, but after wandering around for a half hour we found a place and had a really good meal. We're already looking into scheduling a second date.

Still not happy with myself for hiding who I am from me and the world for so long, but it's getting better and more experiences like this will only help. Also having an incredible wife that is cheerleading me on in this adventure helps tremendously, too.

Have an appointment on April 15 to talk to my primary care physician for the first time in like 5 years. Got lucky in getting into a great clinic for gender affirming care, and I plan to start the HRT process then.

Not to be all motivational speaker at you, but it feels a little unfair to consider it hiding who you were - it almost sounds like you're angry at former-you for not being where current-you is. You did the best you could at the time, and yeah it could've been better or easier or faster, but that's not where you were at that time, and that's ok! And now if you'll excuse me I gotta go work on internalizing that for myself

• Options
    XenaLenaXenaLena Bumflum IndianaRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have any good reading material on the topic of non-binary? I am trying to understand myself and what exactly it means for me. I find I would prefer to have long hair again, and that I like my style (t-shirt and flares.) And some days I actually want to put on some light makeup.

I think I may be having a hard time tossing aside the gender norms I grew up with, it doesn't help when my mom refuses to acknowledge her "daughter" is neither a daughter or son.

I tried explaining it to her once in a way I thought she could relate to: I feel like a soul. No gender, no beauty norms, just a soul.

It seemed like she understood at the time. Recent messages suggest otherwise, but that is a battle for another time.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Mmm most recent purchases in that field are all kids books.

These 4 are the ones we picked up

gqmprvhtrt3m.jpg
    7k9hec78jayl.jpg
    hy43astpkd9a.jpg
    0qshuvjd7l34.jpg

The Gender Book and The Pronoun Book are the same author. Good over views and a lot of context. Aimed at about 10 years old I'd say

It Feels Good to Be Yourself if a bit younger age group, and gives good examples with diverse illustrations.

You be You is fantastic. Goes through everything from what is sex and gender to where babies come from and then gender and sexual identity.

Not exactly adult books, but I find them a good place for me, as a mum of a young NB kid, a good place to start not just myself, by for my kid, and for others in our circle.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited March 20
    Does anyone have any good reading material on the topic of non-binary? I am trying to understand myself and what exactly it means for me. I find I would prefer to have long hair again, and that I like my style (t-shirt and flares.) And some days I actually want to put on some light makeup.

I think I may be having a hard time tossing aside the gender norms I grew up with, it doesn't help when my mom refuses to acknowledge her "daughter" is neither a daughter or son.

I tried explaining it to her once in a way I thought she could relate to: I feel like a soul. No gender, no beauty norms, just a soul.

It seemed like she understood at the time. Recent messages suggest otherwise, but that is a battle for another time.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapiens/dp/B00VXKB596/

Might help you? I am definitely more enby these days. Just be human, be uniquely you.

Edit: And don't apologise to anyone for being yourself. You are you. Your own identity is yours, and yours alone, and no-one else on this earth can seize that or take that away. Seize the means of your own identity and humanity/human rights. Refuse all others who might say otherwise. You are a free and powerful mortal being on this wandering bitter Earth. Go fuck shit up! 😎🆒

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 21
    cabsy wrote: »

Not to be all motivational speaker at you, but it feels a little unfair to consider it hiding who you were - it almost sounds like you're angry at former-you for not being where current-you is. You did the best you could at the time, and yeah it could've been better or easier or faster, but that's not where you were at that time, and that's ok! And now if you'll excuse me I gotta go work on internalizing that for myself

Thank you. You aren't wrong, I really do need to stop being mad at past-me.
    At the same time though, hiding who I was is actually what I was doing due to alcoholic parents giving me a pathological need for them to not know anything about me except for what I tell them. The only times I can remember them ever asking me questions about who I am was while they were drunk, and by the age of 10 I started to refuse to talk to them while drunk. I told them this many many many times, while they were sober, but they just wouldn't ask unless drunk. By the time I was old enough to be out and about on my own when I should have been exploring who I am I would run into people who recognized me as my parents child every where I went. My parents knew a shit ton of people who liked them because they bought friendship at the bar by buying rounds for everyone. I could never feel comfortable being myself because someone my parents knew would see me and somehow recognize me as my parents child and tell them, then my parents would ask me about it next time they came home from the bar. So I started to be on guard about what I presented to the world every where, which eventually morphed into stopping my own thoughts because it was too painful to have the thoughts and not act on them. Eventually I forgot I was hiding thoughts from myself.

It took moving 2000 miles away and not being recognized for a full year before I realized I had been hiding from myself for the previous 20 years. Even now, the only time my mother calls to talk is after she's been drinking, and I can't remember the last time my dad tried to start a conversation.

You know that zen meditation idea of clearing and stopping all of your thoughts? I don't recommend it, it's hard to make the thoughts start again once you truly stop them.

Edit: put a spoiler tag around the sad post. Don't want to unnecessarily bring down any one's energy in this thread.

Veevee on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So my works' DEI and Rainbow Heroes (employee led group) have been working with HR and the Leadership Teams to form a "Gender Affirming" Policy for the company.

This is almost ready for release to teams across the company and the RH group got a look at it today.

It includes guidance on making sure that all the power is with the person, provides resources to the person and their People Leaders. Reaffirms the company commitment to being inclusive, supportive, and affirming.

Also includes up to 10 paid days of leave to go towards any affirming appointments/surgeries/recoveries/etc. This is additional/separate leave from Sick Leave and Annual Leave. These are their own little bank of days specifically for those going through gender affirming process (we are working on confirming if this will also cover parents/partners/family members of those who are doing gender affirming treatments and may need additional support at home).

It really, despite all my qualms about changes to WFH and other things, it really does give me a sense of comfort that this is a thing that not only the company is doing, but that they embraced it as soon as it was brought up by employees as a thing that's needed.

The company and RH Group are also investigating voice modification software that can be used for those on the phones to allow them the chance to sound like they want to sound, and reduce the amount of misgendering from customers. There's apparently good progress going on this and it's just with IT/Security to run through the software security process to make sure there's no nasty surprises.

So yeah. Some positive Corporate stuff.

OH

We also got really cool Rainbow lanyards to wear around the office/retail stores. But in order to get them, folks have to sit through Allyship and DEI trainings (about 45 minutes total) and fill in a survey thing. Apparently there's already been 75 people across the company, in all our cities, across all aspects of the company, including Retail who have done all the training and earned their lanyards.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    cabsy wrote: »

Thank you. You aren't wrong, I really do need to stop being mad at past-me.
    At the same time though, hiding who I was is actually what I was doing due to alcoholic parents giving me a pathological need for them to not know anything about me except for what I tell them. The only times I can remember them ever asking me questions about who I am was while they were drunk, and by the age of 10 I started to refuse to talk to them while drunk. I told them this many many many times, while they were sober, but they just wouldn't ask unless drunk. By the time I was old enough to be out and about on my own when I should have been exploring who I am I would run into people who recognized me as my parents child every where I went. My parents knew a shit ton of people who liked them because they bought friendship at the bar by buying rounds for everyone. I could never feel comfortable being myself because someone my parents knew would see me and somehow recognize me as my parents child and tell them, then my parents would ask me about it next time they came home from the bar. So I started to be on guard about what I presented to the world every where, which eventually morphed into stopping my own thoughts because it was too painful to have the thoughts and not act on them. Eventually I forgot I was hiding thoughts from myself.

It took moving 2000 miles away and not being recognized for a full year before I realized I had been hiding from myself for the previous 20 years. Even now, the only time my mother calls to talk is after she's been drinking, and I can't remember the last time my dad tried to start a conversation.

You know that zen meditation idea of clearing and stopping all of your thoughts? I don't recommend it, it's hard to make the thoughts start again once you truly stop them.

Edit: put a spoiler tag around the sad post. Don't want to unnecessarily bring down any one's energy in this thread.

I can relate to hiding yourself - I think it's a pretty common coping mechanism. I clipped a video the other day to send my friend where the video creator talked about how at a certain point in her early teen years, she decided it was better to just not talk, and not voice an opinion, and keep everything to herself, and it was just... my teen years! Which led to my 20s and my 30s and now just starting my 40s and working on learning that I do have opinions and that actually I'm worthy of voicing them. It's hard to reconcile that I spent decades shutting myself off from people because I was just so tired of conflict that I decided ALL conflict was intolerable. It's hard not to be a little mad at myself, but I'm trying, because I wasn't there yet. I'm sorry that your parents failed you, and I hope you can eventually realize that you aren't the one who deserves to get shit for the coping behaviors you learned to deal with their bullshit.

And from someone with an alcoholic parent... :bro:

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    So it's looking like the brain stuff I've had going on since the 6th was a combo attack of spiro just having it's own brain fog effect, losing all of my sodium, and also all of my B12. Doing a lot better today finally but still also waiting right now for the first of several B12 injections. And I don't drink!

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    So it's looking like the brain stuff I've had going on since the 6th was a combo attack of spiro just having it's own brain fog effect, losing all of my sodium, and also all of my B12. Doing a lot better today finally but still also waiting right now for the first of several B12 injections. And I don't drink!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCJb1n3060w

• Options
    So sometimes I've wondered why I've been pursuing feminizing HRT so much if I still feel mostly just kind fem-y agender and it just hit me this morning, in one of those forehead-smacking moments, that Nic, going AMAB->Agender->Fem is you correcting because your path should have been AFAB->Agender.

• Options

I was going to wonder aloud at you if it was somehow your body going through puberty+perimenopause at the same time.

But then I couldn't remember how old you were.

Or if that would actually be a thing that *could* happen. Like, medically.

I'm glad you got an answer though.

• Options

I was going to wonder aloud at you if it was somehow your body going through puberty+perimenopause at the same time.

But then I couldn't remember how old you were.

Or if that would actually be a thing that *could* happen. Like, medically.

I'm glad you got an answer though.

So my understanding of menopause is that the vast majority of symptoms are caused by a drop in estrogen. Injecting estradiol (or other forms but that would be less helpful) should completely prevent those symptoms from ever surfacing. It is my understanding that there is no reason for trans femmes of any stripe to have to go through that process unless they want to. That has interesting implications for people who naturally produce high levels of estrogen that run smack into the wall of medicine's terrible history of mistreating people.

• Options
    yeah the more i thought about it the more I realised how much of a stupid thought it was to have.

but the brain fog symptoms etc sounded just so familiar to perimenopause that my brain was all "oh well that's obviously this" not even factoring other things.

tldr, I am the dumb at times

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    The estradiol pills I'm on are literally the same as the ones given to people going though menopause, I'm just take more of them. The pharmacy was required to give me a pamphlet on menopause when I started on them.

• Options
    yeah the more i thought about it the more I realised how much of a stupid thought it was to have.

but the brain fog symptoms etc sounded just so familiar to perimenopause that my brain was all "oh well that's obviously this" not even factoring other things.

tldr, I am the dumb at times

Nah not stupid. Just curious and helpful. I have lost track of how many times I have have to work out something that was obvious in hindsight.

• Options
    Haha it's ok menopause was one of the things I looked at while trying to figure out why my brain no work good. I'm gonna switch doctors, this one also gave me the wrong dosage when we switched to injections, it got caught during a consult and it was less than half of what I should have taken, luckily that was only one week though. And also he's going on like a travel Europe sabbatical soon, coming back for a bit, then retiring, so yeah, new doctor time.

• Options
    For the first time today I wished I didn't have a body. If I didn't have this body and born gender then maybe I wouldn't have had such a devastating encounter today with a traditional masc, I stupidly hoped was different.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    I'm so sorry Xena 😞

• Options
    I'm so sorry Xena 😞

It's okay. I woke up today and decided that I'm not going to stop trying to find me and my comfortability just because of a few a**hats. I just need to work on not freezing up in those situations and find my assertiveness.

• Options
    💚 so glad to hear! You've got this and you are worthy of love! There are good eggs out there. Just hard to find.

• Options
    Sunday recap- After a talk with my partner, decided choosing a label could be helpful so demifemme it is!

Then I baked buttermilk-honey bread and molasses cookies.

4kca5e5in6q6.jpg
    haqqt9mrapq5.jpg

• Options
    May I ask what your definition of demifemme is?

• Options
    May I ask what your definition of demifemme is?

The definition here fits.

• Options
    Oh!

Thank you for that resource!

I feel a rabbit hole coming along

• Options
    You're welcome! Sorry I didn't answer in my own words, tired but also working on a training program.

• Options
    That's all good! I was going to Google it, but didn't want to fall into the wrong rabbit hole.

While at work.

Totally working.

Yup.

Absolutely doing my work on a Monday.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I want like 10 each of that bread and those cookies.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    That is awesome! And it was interesting read. You are all just 😊

• Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    I found a book at my local library called ‘Am I Trans Enough? How to Overcome Your Doubts and Find Your Authentic Self’. I borrowed it immediately because it sounded like something I needed to read, so far it’s great. The author, Alo Johnston, is a therapist and is himself trans; and he has a very simple, conversational style of writing that’s really clicking with me.

Also it was just nice to see my library has a selection of books on sex and gender that’s prominently displayed, not just tucked away in a corner. I wasn’t even looking for books, I was there to use the printer, but I saw this one and as I said the title grabbed me.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Nechriah wrote: »
    I found a book at my local library called ‘Am I Trans Enough? How to Overcome Your Doubts and Find Your Authentic Self’. I borrowed it immediately because it sounded like something I needed to read, so far it’s great. The author, Alo Johnston, is a therapist and is himself trans; and he has a very simple, conversational style of writing that’s really clicking with me.

Also it was just nice to see my library has a selection of books on sex and gender that’s prominently displayed, not just tucked away in a corner. I wasn’t even looking for books, I was there to use the printer, but I saw this one and as I said the title grabbed me.

Per my sister, who is library tech at the nearby enormous public library, and ever conversation I've had with libraryfolk, the push to ban queer books has made basically every libraryfolk want to put that stuff front and center out of protest.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Goddamn right it has.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited March 28
    You may want to open it in an incognito browser tab to avoid tracking fuckery but I really enjoy this slightly confused article by someone who was clearly trying to find things to be outraged by at a children's pride parade a few library branches in DC organized but couldn't quite manage it.

Peen on
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited March 29
    It’s really weird how pre-transition I always felt way more femme-y to the point here I got tormented for it constantly until I learned to mask it, and then after thee years of E I’ve suddenly been feeling much more butch

Like, way more butch

I never gave up any of the things I liked. I’m still the same person inside. but now I find myself enjoying jeans and plain old shirts and hiking boots, and other things I never cared about that much before

It’s opened up some interesting ideas in my head

e: although it’s also made me more insecure, because I’m not sure if I should be seeing myself in that way or if it’s possibly upsetting to some other folks, and yeah I don’t know I’m not a big brain I’m just going to go play some picross for a while instead

Norfair on
  • Options
    Whoever you are, you're always welcome here :)

• Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    Norfair wrote: »
    It’s really weird how pre-transition I always felt way more femme-y to the point here I got tormented for it constantly until I learned to mask it, and then after thee years of E I’ve suddenly been feeling much more butch

Like, way more butch

I never gave up any of the things I liked. I’m still the same person inside. but now I find myself enjoying jeans and plain old shirts and hiking boots, and other things I never cared about that much before

It’s opened up some interesting ideas in my head

e: although it’s also made me more insecure, because I’m not sure if I should be seeing myself in that way or if it’s possibly upsetting to some other folks, and yeah I don’t know I’m not a big brain I’m just going to go play some picross for a while instead

Recently I figured out that the reason I now enjoy doing a lot of things I shied away from pre-transition is because those things came with expectations. Like if I was drinking a beer and watching the football certain people would say, yeah, it’s good that you’re doing these proper manly activities. Why don’t you act like a man more often? And it’s because I’m not a man, as it turns out. And now that I know that, I don’t feel as pressured to keep up the performance and can just enjoy the football or cracking open a cold one with the boys/bois