As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars where we are going to fight about that one thing

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    2nd episode finished. Seriously, why does this show look and sound so flat?

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    I guess the sequel to Fallen Order just got announced

Yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaa BOI

Who's the hot bacta tank guy

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »
    I guess the sequel to Fallen Order just got announced

Yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaa BOI

Who's the hot bacta tank guy

Sithiroth

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Goddammit

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »
    CGI and cinematography in Kenobi is kinda janky in my opinion. Feels s bit prequely actually.

Otherwise it's good so far I think, 45 minutes in.

I don't really know what's people's problem with
    Leia and her actor. Yeah she's precocious, but Leia's a full on politician and badass who stares down Vader by age 20 so it fits, and the actor is doing a good job, too, I think.

Also Jimmy Smits is the best part of this so far. Just a delight.

No one better have a problem with that actor she is fantastic and the best part of the show

Nah, so far, it's Moses Ingram by a mile. She's pure Sith delight.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Ep 1 and 2 are both real good.

The only gripe I have so far
    You have to do it just right to make a chase scene between grown adults and a small child not seem contrived. They're 0/2.
    At least the first one was funny. When the dude ran right into the chest high branch and bounced off without even putting his hands up made me laugh hard.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Watching this makes me really feel the weight of how badly they could drop the ball on this Ashoka show. Especially after the very flat version of her we've seen so far in the live action series.

https://youtu.be/961qYQGoj4I

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    CGI and cinematography in Kenobi is kinda janky in my opinion. Feels s bit prequely actually.

Otherwise it's good so far I think, 45 minutes in.

I don't really know what's people's problem with
    Leia and her actor. Yeah she's precocious, but Leia's a full on politician and badass who stares down Vader by age 20 so it fits, and the actor is doing a good job, too, I think.

Also Jimmy Smits is the best part of this so far. Just a delight.

No one better have a problem with that actor she is fantastic and the best part of the show

She's a young woman. Someone was ALWAYS going to have a problem with her.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Child actors, especially that young, are so rarely good. And frequently bad. I think this one is doing pretty dang good

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Yeah, she's no Stranger Things season 1 cast but she's holding up well. Plus the whole precociousness thing works for the character.
    When she said "Grandfather, maybe," I swear I heard Carrie Fisher's voice saying it at the same time, it was so perfect.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    With their ongoing slate of action adventure shows, I wish Disney would invest in some better in house stunt teams/choreographers or something. The action always feels a bit lifeless. Visual designs are usually really strong but everyone's always just kind of striking a pose now and then for their cool moment and the actual action is either pretty tame or just kind of implied. Leia's actor is stellar.

• Options
    Also some real awkward choreography of Reva jumping the roofs. Like running, then back flip into running forward again looks really silly.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    With their ongoing slate of action adventure shows, I wish Disney would invest in some better in house stunt teams/choreographers or something. The action always feels a bit lifeless. Visual designs are usually really strong but everyone's always just kind of striking a pose now and then for their cool moment and the actual action is either pretty tame or just kind of implied. Leia's actor is stellar.

One hundred percent agree. They had the Raid guys in Force Awakens, let them figure some of this out.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Also some real awkward choreography of Reva jumping the roofs. Like running, then back flip into running forward again looks really silly.
    Reva looked like she was so close to the gunfight on the roofs, and then just never got there. At no point could I tell what her position was compared to everybody else. Obi Wan walking around the corner after catching Leia with the force and just ifnoring the robot shooting at him was so awkward, especially with Reva never showing up.

The episode had some strong moments, but that action scene and the escape left a bad taste in my mouth and just kind of ruined the start of the show so far.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    The thing that stressed me out the most in these episodes was
    Kenobi slicing off some meat and hiding it in his clothing when work ended

I was like boss is gonna catch you no be careful

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    the rooftop fight had some pretty strange editing but
    it also had obi-wan shoot a guy in a dinosaur suit so jury's still out on whether it was good or not

overall i have never been a prequels person and i'm also not a parent so idk if this one is really doing anything for me. McGregor sure can act though!

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the first two episodes, I'm really just hoping they do some interesting things with the characters and setting because it's hard for the show to have real stakes when you know how the main people end up. For me, at least.

• Options
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Yeah, she's no Stranger Things season 1 cast but she's holding up well. Plus the whole precociousness thing works for the character.
    When she said "Grandfather, maybe," I swear I heard Carrie Fisher's voice saying it at the same time, it was so perfect.

Honestly depending on how things shake out she's good enough that I'd be down for a show about Teenage Leia getting into some shit in a few years. It's obvious from A New Hope that Leia was already getting into trouble but the Empire couldn't get anything to stick enough to arrest her until the Death Star plans got stolen. It would be fun to see some of those stories.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    there's a part in the Han Solo Trilogy where he goes to some fancy city to play in a Sabaac tournament (where he won the Millenium Falcon from Lando), and meets teen Leia and Winter who are in disguise and there for some reason, but I think actually because they're trying to organize planetary rebellions into the Alliance?

Han's like "damn that girl is cute."

Depressperado on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    There's a little bit of Leia in Rebels where she is absolutely getting up to shit to subvert the Empire.

Overall, unlike the previous prequel stumbling blocks, this show is actually filling in gaps I am interested in seeing play out.
    We'll get to see some motivation build up for why Leia reaches out to Obi-Wan in ANH over anyone else she could have tried contacting. And we'll get to see it done in a way that enhances the OT rather than waters it down.

We'll also get to see Obi-Wan meet Darth Vader, which will color the way in which Old Ben speaks of him and Anakin to Luke.

I'm surprised I'm actually looking forward to the gap being bridged between the prequels and the OT but there is work to be done with the characters there.

Some folks are already bringing up how this is going to feel weird seeing Ewan McGregor playing Obi-Wan only 9 years prior to Sir Alec Guinness's portrayal and still looking hardy and relatively young, but we've gotta let that go seeing as how we already saw Obi-Wan looking extremely like Alec Guinness and watching over a young Luke in Rebels around his final confrontation with Maul.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    TankHammer wrote: »
    There's a little bit of Leia in Rebels where she is absolutely getting up to shit to subvert the Empire.

Overall, unlike the previous prequel stumbling blocks, this show is actually filling in gaps I am interested in seeing play out.
    We'll get to see some motivation build up for why Leia reaches out to Obi-Wan in ANH over anyone else she could have tried contacting. And we'll get to see it done in a way that enhances the OT rather than waters it down.

We'll also get to see Obi-Wan meet Darth Vader, which will color the way in which Old Ben speaks of him and Anakin to Luke.

I'm surprised I'm actually looking forward to the gap being bridged between the prequels and the OT but there is work to be done with the characters there.

Some folks are already bringing up how this is going to feel weird seeing Ewan McGregor playing Obi-Wan only 9 years prior to Sir Alec Guinness's portrayal and still looking hardy and relatively young, but we've gotta let that go seeing as how we already saw Obi-Wan looking extremely like Alec Guinness and watching over a young Luke in Rebels around his final confrontation with Maul.

What's nice is McGregor got to age 20 years to the movies 10 year timeline, so he looks 50ish here. Its completely believable in the desert that he would age another "20" or so in the next 8-10 years of star wars timeline.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I get the disconnect, but I mean, you can’t do anything about the fact that Alec Guinness at 58 looks about 2 or 3 decades older than Ewan McGregor at 51. I’d just chalk it up to the binary suns finally getting the better of him and it all hitting at once.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    After the last 6 years where whe have all aged 15 years aging that much is totally believable

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    They should re-release the original trilogy with Alec Guiness' lines dubbed over by an AI age-ravaged Ewan McGregor voice and his fucking face dubbed over with an AI age-ravaged Ewan McGregor face

• Options
    I would actually support that one, yeah.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Actually do everybody get Harrison Ford to redo the lines then robo de-age them, get a necromanced late career Carrie Fisher and shape its face to youth and impose it

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    At this point I wonder if the plan is to just say fuck it and straight up remake the OT in a few years?

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I'd be fine with them remaking the OT as long as it was via animation.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Their current TV animations at least have more visual style and better action choreography than their TV life action stuff.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So this morning I visited a local Half-Priced Books, this is what I came away with:
    -- Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy: The Paradise Snare by A.C. Crispin
    -- Star Wars: Dark Force Rising by Timothy Zahn
    -- Star Wars: Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader by James Luceno
    -- Star Wars: Scoundrels by Timothy Zahn
    -- Star Wars: The Truce At Bakura by Kathy Tyers

Also, I'm a third of the way through Claudia Gray's Master & Apprentice and loving it. I love the exploration of the dynamic between Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan (made sharper through insights into Dooku & Qui-Gon's relationship), the actual wisdom given through Qui-Gon via Claudia Gray, and of course, the insistence that Yoda just DOES NOT LIKE Qui-Gon Jinn.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    At this point I wonder if the plan is to just say fuck it and straight up remake the OT in a few years?

People constantly wonder this and it tickles me. Why in the world would that be the play? If you think the fan base is fractured now...

Either way Kennedy recently just made a statement about how what they took from Solo was that people didn't want to see recast parts. Yes, apparently Obi-wan doesn't count.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I try really hard not to buy into all the fan hate for Kennedy, most of which is for stupid reasons (and by that I mean misogyny), but stuff like that...
    I don't hate, but I am shaking my head and muttering about Not Getting It.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    The kid actor isn’t great, but they’re not completely detracting.
    I do like that they got a super small kid though. She does not look ten, but Carrie fisher was 5’1, super tiny. Makes her really look like/evoke her.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options

People constantly wonder this and it tickles me. Why in the world would that be the play? If you think the fan base is fractured now...

Either way Kennedy recently just made a statement about how what they took from Solo was that people didn't want to see recast parts. Yes, apparently Obi-wan doesn't count.

I think because the diffinitve Obi-Wan is McGregor. He had three full movies as a center stage character.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    How are you gonna cut meat out in an open lean-to with sand blowing everywhere???

• Options
    I haven't watched the new Obi-Wan yet because of work but I would've really liked a series where it's basically just him absolutely sucking at adjusting to life in a desert.

Like, holy shit I used to be a fancy jedi on Coruscant rubbing elbows with senators and the upper crust of galactic society and now I gotta milk a bantha or whatever this sucks

But you know, in Ewan McGregor's sexy, sexy voice.

• Options
    The most important casting news
    Chopper is in ahsoka

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    The most important casting news
    Chopper is in ahsoka

FUCK—and I cannot stress this enough—YEAH.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Is Ashoka going to be the first one of these rated R for language?

• Options
    They showed a trailer and it's only been 3 weeks so it's a lot of nothing but walking and charscter shots and we see the ghost crew and back of sabine

This discussion has been closed.