As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2010年防衛大学校棒倒し[chat]

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    A company is putting on a 120 mile, four day ultramarathon and camping event across the Highlands that costs £15,500 per entry
    0nP9Fia.jpg

"Camping"

Do you get to hunt the most dangerous game

You get to have a Michelin star dinner with Ranulph (not to be confused with Ralph) Fiennes, apparently

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    If I’ve never installed a shelf before and don’t have many tools (just a stud finder, level, drill, tape measure etc) is it accurate that I should be looking at a bracketed shelf rather than a floating shelf?

It probably doesn't make a difference

Floating shelves have a different style of bracket that is hidden inside the body of the shelf when it's all assembled, but for either type you're essentially drilling the wall, inserting the appropriate fixing, attaching the bracket to the wall, then the shelf to the bracket. You don't need any special tools for a floating shelf.

Ahh I just watched a tutorial on a floating shelf and it involves making your own sort of integral wooden bracket. I see now that this was ambitious.

Assuming this would be low weight bearing (certainly under 20lbs) does it just come down to aesthetics??

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    If I’ve never installed a shelf before and don’t have many tools (just a stud finder, level, drill, tape measure etc) is it accurate that I should be looking at a bracketed shelf rather than a floating shelf?

Floating shelves have a different style of bracket that is hidden inside the body of the shelf when it's all assembled, but for either type you're essentially drilling the wall, inserting the appropriate fixing, attaching the bracket to the wall, then the shelf to the bracket. You don't need any special tools for a floating shelf.

Ahh I just watched a tutorial on a floating shelf and it involves making your own sort of integral wooden bracket. I see now that this was ambitious.

Assuming this would be low weight bearing (certainly under 20lbs) does it just come down to aesthetics??

Yep

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options

Most floating shelves I've seen come with their own bracket, as opposed to having to make one, see example for Ikea's:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=oDjIJLPy1Ug

The bracket is attached to the wall, then the shelf slides onto it

Yes, it's primarily an aesthetic thing

• Options
    Half the internet tells me that you must install into wall studs or your stuff will 100% fall. The other half says those people are dramatic olds and anchors work fine for most loads

Please guide my hands

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    We’re approaching the old runestone “Sacrificethrow”. Today’s trek is 25km and it’s mire/swamps here the first quarter. Then mountains and then woods. This is bear country apparently. Maybe I can finally show that I could take a bear.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Don’t be closest to the cliff when you approach that runestone

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Half the internet tells me that you must install into wall studs or your stuff will 100% fall. The other half says those people are dramatic olds and anchors work fine for most loads

Please guide my hands

Just glue it

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Please guide my hands

Just glue it

What if he glues them to his hands

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

Please guide my hands

Kinda depends on your walls and how much weight you would want to put on the shelves. Even if you go for a shelf where you see the support structure you need to be mindful of that.

• Options
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

Please guide my hands

Just glue it

What if he glues them to his hands

Superhero origin story

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    definitely attach it to a stud for a floating shelf

even if you know that the static load is under 20lbs, people lean or reach on shelves surprisingly frequently without thinking

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Thank you friends

• Options
    re: ikea

don't get plastic-edged particleboard shelves though - the frequent bumping on the corners means that it looks worn very quickly. I have some such shelves and they don't look great. Ikea sells a more expensive one in aspen (TRANHULT)

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

Please guide my hands

Studs are easier, anchors are fine. People say this because you can make a fixing into studs strong enough that you get a a shelf that it's more or less impossible to overload unless you're using it to display your cannonball collection. Anchors are not as strong when you compare single fixing points but you can offset that by using more of them if you need to.

The particular anchor you use will depend on the construction of the wall. Generally wall fixings that come with a shelf are not good or are unsuitable and buying the correct fixings and using them instead makes a huge difference.

The anchors you buy should have a guide weight rating, these are additive, so in principle 3x5kg anchors gives you a total weight of 15kg. The limiting factors are that at some point you overwhelm the strength of the drywall itself, and you can't place anchors too close together because doing so creates weak spots.

A good rule of thumb for weight rating is that 1 metre of books arranged on a shelf can weigh about 20-25kg, which gives a reasonable upper limit for the amount of weight any given shelf is ever likely to need to hold. If the shelf can take that with a reasonable margin then it's probably strong enough

Last note: floating shelves are by definition not as strong as bracketed shelves, because anything you place on them is going to try to lever the fixing out of the wall. Do not fill a floating shelf with books, regardless of fixing type.

This has been overthinking shelves with japan

• Options

Please guide my hands

Just glue it

You can actually get away with this

My parent's kitchen has a set of small shelves filling a gap where the brackets are fixed to the tile with generic grab adhesive (similar to "no more nails")

They've stayed up fine, but crucially they don't hold anything heavy

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

Please guide my hands

Just glue it

My parent's kitchen has a set of small shelves filling a gap where the brackets are fixed to the tile with generic grab adhesive (similar to "no more nails")

Glue is actually incredibly strong, the problem is people are generally gluing to paint.

• Options
    Generic "all Lotus cars based on the Elise platform are held together with glue" comment goes here

• Options

Please guide my hands

Just glue it

I've had zero success with no more nails holding its own weight to anything

• Options
    the secret is clamping it for the listed drying time

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    japan will you stall it over and hang the shelves i don't have a good enough drill for TIA

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

Please guide my hands

Just glue it

I've had zero success with no more nails holding its own weight to anything

No! More nails!

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    My starter project is a wall mounted guitar holder. If I succeed with that then I will advance in project complexity to shelves

Maybe by the time I can buy a house in 20 years I’ll be ready for real projects

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Glue is actually incredibly strong, the problem is people are generally gluing to paint.

Woodworkers generally go "these brad nails are just to hold the pieces in place while the glue dries".

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    p93eoc9n3nb8.jpeg

good morning

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Chanus

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Is that the perfect tattoo?

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    We need to sort out a new storage solution for our CDs. We previously had them in tall, thin wooden thingies with lots of shelves, but after moving them we realised just how ruddy heavy they were and probably not too great for the stairs they were on. Shelves on the wall sound great but I might prefer some lightweight upright racks.

Kids telling me to subscribe to Spotify instead will be banned.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    joshgotro on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    We need to sort out a new storage solution for our CDs. We previously had them in tall, thin wooden thingies with lots of shelves, but after moving them we realised just how ruddy heavy they were and probably not too great for the stairs they were on. Shelves on the wall sound great but I might prefer some lightweight upright racks.

i ripped all my CDs that weren't, like, irreplaceable several years ago and then took them to the used book store and just said "i'll take whatever you'll give me for the entire lot" and i don't regret having done it

• Options
    Those stackable boxes sort of look like the wooden storage we had, and the amount we'd need would probably end up being as heavy.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    We need to sort out a new storage solution for our CDs.

How about a skip...

Well, I had a good run.

• Options
    CD storage has always been this way and will never change Bogart. Succumb.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Generic "all Lotus cars based on the Elise platform are held together with glue" comment goes here

you say that like its a bad thing...

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    We ripped all our cds years ago and rarely watch any but a few of our DVDs, so last year we bought two 400 disc storage books and threw away (almost) all the inserts and cases. Now they take up like 1 linear foot of shelf space instead of an entire stuffed bookshelf.

Pretty sure we've gone into them like once since we moved them and no regrets.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i 100%'d baba is you
    swerve, peasants

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Hmmm big storage books for our DVDs might be a reasonable idea.

In the back of my head something is saying but wait you need to keep it all in pristine condition but DVDs are worth like pennies now so a big, handy book might be a lot better, at least for most of them.

• Options
    i dunno how far i got in Baba Is You but it was a fun little thinker and some of them took like 10-20 minutes before i was like OH SHIT

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    There’s always Amazon music!

This discussion has been closed.