Options

Metroidvanias - Finest of all Genres

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Pretty sure I'm towards the end of the game so I'm going back through the map looking for missed collectables.

Let me tell you, doing shinespark puzzles with an analog stick instead of a dpad is some real nonsense.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Why do the mermen in Aria of Sorrow shoot fireballs?

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular

I assume merpeople developed a weapon meant to be effective at killing their own kind

Much like humans inventing guns

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

I assume merpeople developed a weapon meant to be effective at killing their own kind

Fire isn’t effective in water!

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    edited October 2021

It would be if you figured it out

Think about it

You'd be like the first person to invent the atlatl

Uriel on
  • Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Dread, Elun:
    Huh. Probably shouldn't have opened that door.

Oops.

Billiardball on
    Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod

It would be if you figured it out

Think about it

You'd be like the first person to invent the atlatl

https://youtu.be/RoSs9-NDP3E

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    I retract that previous statement.
    FUCK this Chozo warrior bot. Am I supposed to have more than 3 energy tanks? This guy is annihilating me.
    I did it with three but it took me a few tries. Mostly just stay away and unload missiles. It has a counterable attack but it can mix it up a bit? The key though is the red charge it builds up first,then it's a dashing slash. The blue one you can counter it'll come up to you first? I think?

Yeah I think it's just that I suck at reacting to things so I couldn't tell when the counter opening was coming and would just avoid the big hit.

Turns out I was just tired as fuck. I'm trouncing these dudes no problem today.

• Options
    The final boss doesn't fuck around.
    I made it to the wing phase and well fuck me I guess I just die here.

• Options
    And beat. They really force you to learn the boss attacks and patterns. Super fun game. Great combat, each upgrade feels meaningful for either combat/exploration or both, bosses that actually force me to get good at the game systems, and really smart map design that manages to lead you where you need to go while giving you enough room to explore so that you don't feel like it's holding your hand.

Gonna take a bit for my feelings on the game to settle, but this might wind up being my new favorite 2d Metroid. (Metroid Prime is still the reigning champ.)

• Options
    So far I think this is the hardest Metroid. It's been a bit since I've played Super but I don't recall having to redo many boss fights. Fusion has a handful of tough ones but I feel like I'm being punished way harder for not figuring out the attack patterns quickly. The first few hours the direction was a little less obvious but I could also just be a dummy. The past few hours have been exactly as H0b0man describes, gentle nudging but plenty of space to roam.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    It's definitely in contention for hardest in the series. I don't think I've seen a game over screen as much as this one, although I'm sure a lot of deaths was me fucking around with EMMIs. But even trash mobs can lay you the fuck out if you don't respect them enough, at least early game when you only have a couple of e-tanks.

I do like the map design as mentioned, although they do tend to do the whole "seal off pathways to force you to the right direction" kind of thing. Like, I want to go over back over there with my shiny new shit, why you gotta make me go to the new area? But I suppose that's better than Fusion's YOU'RE GOING HERE NOW LADY design, and since I'm now old and dumb, the map design encouraging you forward is probably better than absolute freedom because I'm sure I'll just get entirely lost and confused nowadays.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    It's a good balance. Fusion was too compartmentalized but if it was totally open I would definitely enjoy it less. I appreciate a good flow.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Also the use of
    Lower Brinstar's music when meeting Quiet Robe

is an unfair bit of nostalgia bait, but it yeah it got me. Nice pull, dudes.

(minor Dread thing if it wasn't clear).

Zxerol on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    One of the genius things about the map system is that if you discover some breakable blocks that you don't have the right weapon for yet, they get colour coded on the map, and then when you DO get that weapon later you can see all the places you already discovered that are worth going back to. It's like a meta-consolation prize for discovering a secret too early.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I had like 3 power bomb expansions before I actually got them...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Dread question
    Is there a point of no return at the end? I'm at the shuttle out of Hanubia to Raven Beak's fortress but if I can't come back for items I don't want to go just yet.

Edit: Found the answer on Reddit. For those curious with no spoilers, there isn't a point of no return.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Beat Dread.

That was a good game.

End spoilers:
    Love the Metroid suit, shame it's only around for those few minutes.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    Thinking about the final boss this morning.
    Him ripping his own wing off is one of the hardest things I've seen a video game villain do. It's one of those moves that just screams "This guy gives 0 fucks and if you were anybody but Samus it would be a clear sign that you shouldn't mess with this guy". Fuck what a good ending fight.

This game does bosses better than damn near any other 2d game I've played.

• Options
    Making good progress on 100%, 2 zones left. Shinespark puzzles are, as usual, the trickiest part.

Shinespark tech:
    And oh boy, being able to shinespark from morph ball is a new twist that they don't ever tell you.

Also shinespark while falling (if not in a spin jump, important!), though that one may have been in Fusion, can't remember.

• Options
    Making good progress on 100%, 2 zones left. Shinespark puzzles are, as usual, the trickiest part.

Shinespark tech:
    And oh boy, being able to shinespark from morph ball is a new twist that they don't ever tell you.

Also shinespark while falling (if not in a spin jump, important!), though that one may have been in Fusion, can't remember.

The first one was in Zero Mission I think? Not sure about the second.
    You can shine from mid air at any time by cancelling spin jump with shoot and then activating it.

• Options
    edited October 2021

Shinespark tech:

The first one was in Zero Mission I think? Not sure about the second.
    You can shine from mid air at any time by cancelling spin jump with shoot and then activating it.
    morph ball shine sparking is from zero mission yes, where they also didn't tell you about it and you just had to figure it out based on shine spark puzzles, shine sparking from mid-jump by de-spinning is from super I think. You used to also de-spin-jump by pressing up but I guess they got rid of that with the analog directional controls.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I just realized that I could flash shift while storing shine spark. That makes some of these much easier.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Ah, here's the Dread discourse, makes sense.

Dread rules. I fell off Samus Returns early but I'm hooked here, it feels like they tweaked stuff to make it feel better without losing what they were doing in their last game.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    I finished my first hard playthrough of Dread. Not fast enough to get the last clear art, so I guess I'll have to do another with a more planned route.

I did a few tricks I had seen on speedrun streams, but then ended up spending a really long time
    trying to get to the central unit in Ferenia before realizing that every path needs storm missiles. Then I spent more time not remembering where you even get those, until I finally checked the map on my first save file. At least the storm missile boss was super easy with screw attack.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Just started with Dread

Or I guess I should say I just beat the first boss

I fell in love as soon as I got my first parry down

It feels so good to just straight-up uppercut a creature and feed it a charged shot

• Options
    Whew. 100% clear in 8:13. That final boss is great, the escape sequence is insane, and that is by far the best hyper mode ever (look/feel of using it is crazy). Absolutely amazing game. Not sure if I want to go to hard mode or speed running normal first. I already don't really remember where a lot of stuff is, so I'd need to look stuff up for routing it to go faster probably.

• Options
    I've watched a bit of streams where people were figuring out the speedrun.

I think this is going to wind up being a really good speed game. There's a ton of sequence breaks and tech that people have already figured out.

Pretty excited for whenever it shows up at GDQ

• Options
    H0b0man wrote: »
    I've watched a bit of streams where people were figuring out the speedrun.

I think this is going to wind up being a really good speed game. There's a ton of sequence breaks and tech that people have already figured out.

Pretty excited for whenever it shows up at GDQ

Oh yeah. This is going to be a real treat to see at... probably SGDQ 2022? I can just imagine how this is going to look when someone is playing with near flawless execution.

• Options
    Alright I'm stuck on an item and I need some help. It involves the shinespark.
    Ferenia right at the front door.

I don't seem to have enough time to crossbomb across and I read somewhere else that I need to store the shinespark in the left alcove but I can't seem to figure out how to unmorph while ballsparking. What did you guys do?

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular

I don't seem to have enough time to crossbomb across and I read somewhere else that I need to store the shinespark in the left alcove but I can't seem to figure out how to unmorph while ballsparking. What did you guys do?
    If it's the one I'm thinking of, the best way to do it is to walljump and then use slide while speedboosting to get past the breakable blocks. You should be able to store it once the slide is done.

• Options
    Moth 13 wrote: »

If it's the one I'm thinking of, the best way to do it is to walljump and then use slide while speedboosting to get past the breakable blocks. You should be able to store it once the slide is done.
    I always forget about walljumping! Thank you!

• Options
    Alright I'm 100% on items. Now to go get demolished by the final boss.

• Options
    Dread is definitely one of the hardest metroid games I've played, I haven't had this much trouble with bosses since Fusion, which was also literally my first metroid game so I didn't even have the control muscle memory skills well developed yet.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Me shooting missiles at Kraid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K32FNbtXNoY

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Dread is difficult but I can't help but feel a large portion of the difficulty is in the control scheme. It isn't quite as clunky as Samus Returns, but a lot of hits are due to trying to quickly switch between charging various shots while stationary aiming and then moving rapidly with the world's most finicky infinite-double-jump.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milski wrote: »
    Dread is difficult but I can't help but feel a large portion of the difficulty is in the control scheme. It isn't quite as clunky as Samus Returns, but a lot of hits are due to trying to quickly switch between charging various shots while stationary aiming and then moving rapidly with the world's most finicky infinite-double-jump.

I gotta say, I had zero problems with the space jump. Controls were super tight throughout. The only times things went wrong was when I just screwed up my inputs. The game is punishing for mistakes but when I did everything right I felt like I was rewarded.

Anyway, I figured out what to do against the final boss.
    2nd stage took a couple tries but once I spotted the counter openings in the first stage I could get past it consistently. I took down the final stage and the escape first time.

I love that everything came full circle in the end and even though it got a bit anime at times, it had me hooked.

Final time 11:30:47 which I'm sure is pretty slow. Some of the mini bosses had my number. I'm gonna take a break before starting a hard mode run.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

Just as a heads up, that infinite-double-jump is just like Super's, in that you can only do a second jump as you're descending. If you can dust off that muscle memory, you will be golden.

• Options
    Yeah you can do it any time past the apex of your jump, traditionally.

Anyway, late? game boss bitching:
    fuck this insect guy so much holy shit

Buncha bullshit, super fast and hard to react to, random pattern, constantly have to aim at a goofy angle to hit him, can't shoot his projectiles for drops or at all. I've gotten pretty salty at a few bosses, minibosses and EMMI sections so far but this fucker is getting me really tilted.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Mmmm, a whole bunch of my friends are just now getting into Metroid as a series, and they're starting from Zero Mission.

So I, of course, showed them the completely normal, ordinary casual runthrough once they'd finished their own.

Morph Ball->Missiles->Charge Beam->Bombs->Varia->Power Grip->Ice->Super Missiles->Ridley dead->High Jump->Wave Beam->Screw Attack->Murder Kraid->Speed Booster->Mother Brain.

I'm just sad that Zero Mission doesn't have an item to lengthen your primary attack. Y'know, some kind of... longer beam. I'm fairly certain I would have found it if it existed.