As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] Rumor has it there are GPU's in the wild

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    @BahamutZERO: One detail for RAM on the QVL if you decide to go down that road: if a kit is on the QVL, that doesn't mean a pair of them is on the QVL.

For example: if the QVL lists some Corsair 2x8 gig kit, you can't simply buy two of those kits and treat it like it's on the QVL. The QVL may or may not have the same Corsair parts as a 4x8 gig kit--and if you wanted 32 gigs from Corsair with those timings, you'd want the kit specifically on the QVL.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    you can just clone the drive over probably

Any decent free cloning tools around?

I've used Reflect with good results

Excellent, I'll give it a go later tonight.

edit - you know, before I even realized I'd done it, I was fine with my OS speed. I might just leave Windows on my SATA drive.

I’m planning on putting a 2tb PCIE4 SSD in relatively soon. When I do that I’ll clone Windows over, since my games will all move over to the 2tb drive, leaving it empty.

Oh one heads up, Reflect will not change partition size when cloning. I think I was able to tweak it after the fact with partition magic free but it was kind of a hassle when I cloned from a 250 to a 500 GB.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    So I'm taking a look at various Black... entire November... deals to see about possible upgrades for my new computer, mostly I'm going to grab some extra hard drive space. I then realized I'm not actually certain how many places I can put stuff on the motherboard of the machine I ordered.

So I think I delimited this properly: MSI PRO Z690-A | DDR4 | ATX | ARGB | 2.5GbE LAN | 3 PCIE X16, 1PCIE X1 | 6 SATA3 | 3X M.2 SATA/PCIE

I have one hard drive included in the build that I plan to use for just the System/non-game-related stuff, which is NVMe. How many more can I mount? I know NVMe drives are PCIE but I don't know what the varieties of PCIE mean here.

And speaking of that, any strong opinions about good SSDs? I was going to go with the Samsung Evo 970 Plus because it's $230 right now for 2TB, which seems like a lot of space for a reasonable price.

Odd, I just looked at the manual ( https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/PRO-Z690-A-DDR4#down-manual ) and it shows 4 slots for m.2 drives.

Is this the correct motherboard?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    To answer your question though, NVME drives go in M.2 slots

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Hmm I'm going off the document CyberPowerPC provided. Maybe they mean open M.2 slots? That would be weird though.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    you can just clone the drive over probably

Any decent free cloning tools around?

I've used Reflect with good results

Excellent, I'll give it a go later tonight.

edit - you know, before I even realized I'd done it, I was fine with my OS speed. I might just leave Windows on my SATA drive.

I’m planning on putting a 2tb PCIE4 SSD in relatively soon. When I do that I’ll clone Windows over, since my games will all move over to the 2tb drive, leaving it empty.

Oh one heads up, Reflect will not change partition size when cloning. I think I was able to tweak it after the fact with partition magic free but it was kind of a hassle when I cloned from a 250 to a 500 GB.

When I get me second NVME, I’ll be moving Windows from a 1tb SATA to an empty 1tb NVME, so it should be fine.

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    So my Gigabyte x570 MoBo still has the AMD USB disconnect bug... *sigh*.

But I found out it only effects the USB 2.0 ports, so at least now all of my peripherals are off a hub connected to a 3.0 port and they don't disconnect when it happens!

Unfortunately my fan hub, for the Lian-Li AL120's I have in my build, uses the internal USB 2.0 port on the MoBo, to get power. Is there an adapter cable that would let me plug it into one of the 19-pin USB 3.0 headers? I've certainly seen plenty that go the other way.

I guess at this point the only annoyance is that I get that damn Windows new peripheral is disconnected/plugged in sound. And I guess my cooling is interrupted for a fraction of a second.

I've never had such a bug persist across so many supposed fixes.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    So I'm taking a look at various Black... entire November... deals to see about possible upgrades for my new computer, mostly I'm going to grab some extra hard drive space. I then realized I'm not actually certain how many places I can put stuff on the motherboard of the machine I ordered.

So I think I delimited this properly: MSI PRO Z690-A | DDR4 | ATX | ARGB | 2.5GbE LAN | 3 PCIE X16, 1PCIE X1 | 6 SATA3 | 3X M.2 SATA/PCIE

I have one hard drive included in the build that I plan to use for just the System/non-game-related stuff, which is NVMe. How many more can I mount? I know NVMe drives are PCIE but I don't know what the varieties of PCIE mean here.

And speaking of that, any strong opinions about good SSDs? I was going to go with the Samsung Evo 970 Plus because it's $230 right now for 2TB, which seems like a lot of space for a reasonable price.

The Z690-A has four M.2 slots. All 4 are M-Keyed (single slot on right) for use with NVME M.2 drives. That means you cannot put B-Keyed SATA M.2 drives in these slots. The M2_1 slot is the fastest and a direct connection to the CPU and is the one located closest to the CPU socket under the heat spreader. The M2_2 and M2_4 slots would be slightly slower as they are connected to the motherboard chipset and are PCIE 4.0. The M2_3 slot is the slowest and is only PCIE 3.0. The manual has a labeled diagram where all these slots are located.

Older, non-M.2 format SATA drives can connect via cables to the six SATA3 ports.

The slots labeled PCIE X16 and X1 are expansion slots for use with add on cards. Video cards would go in the X16 slot(s), but the fastest to use is the slot closest to the CPU socket.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Did those newer X570 chipset motherboards that don't need a chipset fan get released? Are there any reviews if so?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I've got one of the fan-equipped X570's and I never notice it. CPU and case fans, despite being very quiet, completely overpower it.

It's nothing like the whiny little fans I remember back in the day.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    So I've been working on my Retro LAN these days. Ordered a smattering of 3COM cards. Threw a 3C500B into a Pentium III rig. Have an ISA 3C509B-TPO coming for the K6-2+ rig. And another 3C905C-TXM for my precious P233MMX/Riva128 rig.

Only one of them got here so far, and it's for the PIII rig. Luckily I had a bunch of spare Athlon 64 mobos lying around I'd practiced recapping on, that have integrated networking. Threw spawned copies of Diablo on one of them, and made sure they could both join a game. So far so good. You know something it reminded me of?

Fucking IPX/SPX protocol. More or less every game before 2000 supported LAN play over IPX. Hell, IPX basically was LAN play, and TCP/IP was reserved entirely for internet play. Windows 10 doesn't even support IPX. I hear tell there are wrappers you can install. But a part of me feels like that way lies madness. Anything goes wrong, and is it the wrapper? The game? Windows 10? DirectX? Speed sensitivity? Some other vagary? You'll never know! Such is the frustration in trying to play old games on new hardware. So vintage or bust.

Soon, very soon, I'll have an old highschool buddy or two over, and we're going to LAN party like it's 1999. Can't wait to fire up Skibi's Tower Defense or something.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    The B450 Tomahawk is currently on sale for $50 US in a few places. If you need a solid board (even on a slightly dated chipset that can run 3xxx and.....I think 5xxx too), it's a fantastic price.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Did those newer X570 chipset motherboards that don't need a chipset fan get released? Are there any reviews if so?

I've got an MSI X570S Tomahawk which is the new fanless model. There's a few reviews of it around, and it's good.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular

There's a bunch, all listed as X570S, https://techbeezer.com/switzerlandeng/amd-ryzen-5000-fanless-x570-motherboards-for-life/

The fan on my MSI X570 Unify has rarely if ever come on during normal use and gaming. It has come on during stress testing and during the hotter summer months when the ambient was at or over 30 degrees.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I've never once noticed the fan on my X570 boards. Not once.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I've never once noticed the fan on my X570 boards. Not once.

STOP YELLING!!

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Went into my bios settings to make sure I had everything set up for an eventual Windows 11 install. Found that my CPU cooler setting was defaulted to a water cooler on bios instead of air cooler. I hadn't noticed any heat issues with my CPU, but I switched it over to the right settings anyway.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I did the Win11 upgrade last week. Took some time to find the TPM setting in Bios but eventually got it flipped over. The PC Health Checker recognized it right away but Windows Update still kept saying I wasn't eligible so I had to download and run the msi.

It's...fine? Other than the softer corners and the Start menu being in the middle I really don't notice much of a difference at all. I did decide to finally make the switch to Edge from Chrome, which again is...fine?

I also found that my XMP configuration was somehow switched off and my RAM was running at like 2133mhz. Honestly haven't noticed any big difference since changing it back to 3600mhz, maybe a 10% change in FPS but that could just be normal fluctuations. I was expecting it to make a bigger difference.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    I did the Win11 upgrade last week. Took some time to find the TPM setting in Bios but eventually got it flipped over. The PC Health Checker recognized it right away but Windows Update still kept saying I wasn't eligible so I had to download and run the msi.

It's...fine? Other than the softer corners and the Start menu being in the middle I really don't notice much of a difference at all. I did decide to finally make the switch to Edge from Chrome, which again is...fine?

I also found that my XMP configuration was somehow switched off and my RAM was running at like 2133mhz. Honestly haven't noticed any big difference since changing it back to 3600mhz, maybe a 10% change in FPS but that could just be normal fluctuations. I was expecting it to make a bigger difference.

Yeah, Win 11 is largely like buying the same shoes again.

You get that new shoe feel for a bit but after that it's kind of the same ol shit.

• Options
    Having used Win 11 on my laptop for a week while on vacation, I've come to appreciate some of the smaller changes. The only one that regularly still annoys me is the Task Manager not being available on task bar right click. That one baffles me.

Aside from that, once I know the AMD patch is fully pushed out, live and working I plan to do a fresh install of Windows 11 on my main PC. Probably won't do my sim racing PC for a while since it's just a huge pain in the ass to set up, with a lot of exotic hardware that worries me.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    On the course of this week my 4.5 year-old laptop died (something fried on the motherboard and electricity was going places it shouldn't have been going. Removed the battery for safety, smelled of smoked circuit whenever I plugged it in and would not turn on.)

Didn't have enough money on-hand to buy something equally monstrous to replace it (it was a nice i7 6700HQ, GTX 1070, 15" 4K Display, 16GB RAM that I got at a stupidly bargain price back then) so I opted for an "interim" laptop that would still let me play and let me ride out the chipset shortage until at least the end of 2022.

I ended up getting an MSI GF66, i5 11400H, RTX 3060, 16GB of RAM. Nice machine with a 1080p, 144Hz panel that has handled everything I've been throwing at it. My only complaint is that I could underclock/undervolt the GPU to improve thermals (barely any performance hit I've noticed so far) but since this CPU is not "overclockable", I also cannot dial it back. :lol:

Oh, Intel...

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Completely unrelated to Windows 11, my GN coasters and glasses arrived while I was on vacation. Finally got to grab the package this morning. Going to go great with the new lift top coffee table I just bought.

• Options
    after doing some research on X570 boards I realized the only reason I was even looking at them over a B550 was that some of them would be able to support the USB 3.1 gen 2 type A port on the front of the case I want to get, and then I remembered I don't have any actual use for that port. So lmao.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    user wrote: »

But I found out it only effects the USB 2.0 ports, so at least now all of my peripherals are off a hub connected to a 3.0 port and they don't disconnect when it happens!

Unfortunately my fan hub, for the Lian-Li AL120's I have in my build, uses the internal USB 2.0 port on the MoBo, to get power. Is there an adapter cable that would let me plug it into one of the 19-pin USB 3.0 headers? I've certainly seen plenty that go the other way.

I guess at this point the only annoyance is that I get that damn Windows new peripheral is disconnected/plugged in sound. And I guess my cooling is interrupted for a fraction of a second.

There are internal USB3 header to USB A socket adapter or USB3 header to USB2 header adapter. I have used both to either connect internal peripherals or to connect a old USB2 front panel to a newer main board.

This for example: https://www.amazon.com/-/de/dp/B00L2O0I5K/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=usb+3.0+header+adapter&qid=1636756040&sr=8-8

• Options
    edited November 2021
    yeah I can probably hook it up, it'll just be gen 1 spec AKA 5 Gb/s instead of 10
    which is not something I need or care about

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I think most can relate to wanting things we probably don't need around these parts :)

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Mulletude wrote: »
    I think most can relate to wanting things we probably don't need around these parts :)

I have NO idea what you're talking about.

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    Dratatoo wrote: »
    user wrote: »

There are internal USB3 header to USB A socket adapter or USB3 header to USB2 header adapter. I have used both to either connect internal peripherals or to connect a old USB2 front panel to a newer main board.

This for example: https://www.amazon.com/-/de/dp/B00L2O0I5K/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=usb+3.0+header+adapter&qid=1636756040&sr=8-8

Ah thanks for that! What I needed tho was a 19(20) pin USB 3.0 Female to 8 pin USB 2.0 male, and weirdly I was able to find it goin from your search terms.

*fingers crossed* Hopefully it works. That dang peripheral disconnect noise that Windows makes is sooo annoying.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    So I'm trying to design a desktop PC with some gaming capabilities for the first time ever (I particularly want to be able to play Baldur's Gate 3 without any major issues). I haven't really used a desktop PC much in a decade, mostly relying on either a Surface Pro tablet or a laptop. I've been using PCPartPicker to put together a build and would like some feedback on it so far.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth Cooler (bundled with AMD Ryzen 5 5600X)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
    Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card
    Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Does anything stick out as obviously wrong or undesirable? Also, does anyone have any advice on case fans, monitors, or peripherals? I'd like to keep the build under $1500 if possible.

Thanks in advance!

• Options
    The only thing jumping out at me is that if you can spring a little extra, I'd recommend going for DDR 3600.

If you plan on upgrading to a high end GPU you might go another 100 watts on the PSU (your budget suggests you probably won't do this). If you don't I wouldn't bother.

If you want better noise/thermals you could get a tower air cooler for your CPU, but that isn't a requirement.

For a bit more future-proofing you could consider 32 gigs of RAM, but again, your budget suggests that would largely be wasted and you can always add more later given you're going for a 2x8 pair.

Also jesus fucking christ, a GTX 1650 is going for ~$500 on Amazon? Goddamn.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Orca wrote: »
    The only thing jumping out at me is that if you can spring a little extra, I'd recommend going for DDR 3600.

Just checked this and saw that, weirdly, the DDR4 3600 version of Corsair Vengeance is listed as cheaper than the 3200. I wonder why that would be?
    If you plan on upgrading to a high end GPU you might go another 100 watts on the PSU (your budget suggests you probably won't do this). If you don't I wouldn't bother.

This is good to hear as I was a bit worried that I had gone overboard with the PSU. PCPartPicker.com is estimating that the system as I have it now requires 273 watts, while the PSU I've selected is rated for 550 watts. Hearing that, if anything, it might not be high enough makes me feel better. I'll look into it in a bit, though.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    you generally want a healthy buffer between average load and the maximum your PSU is rated for, to account for spikes in power draw and because power supplies are most efficient at around half load.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

Just checked this and saw that, weirdly, the DDR4 3600 version of Corsair Vengeance is listed as cheaper than the 3200. I wonder why that would be?

This is good to hear as I was a bit worried that I had gone overboard with the PSU. PCPartPicker.com is estimating that the system as I have it now requires 273 watts, while the PSU I've selected is rated for 550 watts. Hearing that, if anything, it might not be high enough makes me feel better. I'll look into it in a bit, though.

550 watts is plenty for what you have. If you were going to shove a 300 watt 3070 or something in there, that's when a 650 might make sense.

550 is about at the breakpoint for where generally speaking you'll end up with the higher quality parts as well. Again, if you don't explicitly plan on shoving $1000 worth of GPU into your system in the next two years, what you have right now is more than fine. You could back it off a little, but below IIRC around 500 watts the quality tends to take a nosedive.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Oh, here's another thing I was going to ask that I just remembered: Is there any reason I would want a motherboard with built-in WiFi for a desktop PC? I'd assume I would always be using an Ethernet connection rather than rely on WiFi, but there must be some reason that's an option.

Thanks for the responses so far, by the way!

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Flexibility. If available, ethernet is always superior to wifi. But some folks can't just drop cables on the ground or route them around their door-frames.

I've got wifi on my motherboard and since I have ethernet I don't use it.

If you do get a wifi-equipped motherboard and decide to use it, make sure you use the antenna otherwise you'll get jack and also shit for your range and speed.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Plus for that random ISP outage and you use your cellphone as a hotspot.

Honestly I have only used that for my Surface, but it is good to know I have Wifi on my desktop if I needed it.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Oh, here's another thing I was going to ask that I just remembered: Is there any reason I would want a motherboard with built-in WiFi for a desktop PC? I'd assume I would always be using an Ethernet connection rather than rely on WiFi, but there must be some reason that's an option.

I’d only get it if the board you want doesn’t come without it.

Onboard WiFi is a nice to have and it’s usually a better idea to get WiFi on the mobo, as any competitive discrete option will cost more. You may never use it or you may end up tethering to your phone because your internet went out who knows

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Only must-fix imo is 3600mhz RAM as mentioned.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yeah I use wifi on my desktop because it isn't practical to run a wire to where it is. I don't play games competitively online anymore so it is t a big deal to me.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

It also frees one of your PCIe 1x connection you had to sacrifice if you use a WLAN PCIe card. That’s even more important if you have a small system like mITX or mini ATX. Most mainboard manufacturers use decent Wi-Fi modules which are usually notebook OEM parts und not available as stand-alone / new on the free market (except used or as replacement). Most of the decent Intel ones also include recent versions of Bluetooth.

I often replace the included desk-antenna with antennas from broken routers or broken Wi-Fi equipment, in order to save space on the desk.

Edit: Yeah, Wi-Fi is for the folks who can‘t run Ethernet to their PC. Equipment like certain trash tier LTE router or portable hotspots, or certain dlan devices don’t even have Ethernet ports nowadays. It’s also great to have the option to switch to a mobile hotspot on the fly if the internet provider shits the bed. (although lots of mobile phones can provide these via USB too). It’s also a good solution if you have lots of different devices and don’t want to wire everything up. For example I have a couple of Win 98 retro PCs I use sparingly, so I connect a usb powered ethernet-wlan bridge to it if I need to transfer data.

Edit2: It’s not inherent that WLAN adds a huge negative to latency for online gaming. It’s mostly the 2.4 GHz trash that most internet provider ship which gets flaky connection if it has to mange more than a couple of devices or if it is in a saturated neighborhood. Most customers try to fix this with stand alone wireless consumer gear, which is also trash in most cases. I switched to a Ubiquiti access point and never looked back. My internet router - which I can’t switch - is only providing wired connection and has no other duties nowadays.

Dratatoo on
This discussion has been closed.