As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] Rumor has it there are GPU's in the wild

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Super Flower: stupid name, top tier PSUs.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Super Flower: stupid name, top tier PSUs.

Yeah, they're the Chinese answer to Seasonic. Heard nothing but great things about their stuff.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Super Flower are excellent. Right up there with Seasonic by any measure.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    My new computer is coming earlier than I thought! Next week, in fact. So that's fun! Now to decide what extra bits I'm going to get. In addition to a bigger SSD I think maybe a new monitor that isn't the cheapo option.

Also maybe replace my logitech speakers from a decade ago!

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I am deeply glad that I can connect my PC to the router with a 1M ethernet cable. Life is sufficiently supplied with aggravation and annoyances without having to deal with WiFi on my main rig.

• Options
    I think I’ve settled on a 12700K and an ASUS Z690-Plus Tuf board for my next upgrades. But now
    I’ve got see about a new bracket for my cooing loop, I guess.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    I am deeply glad that I can connect my PC to the router with a 1M ethernet cable. Life is sufficiently supplied with aggravation and annoyances without having to deal with WiFi on my main rig.

I never had problems with Wifi from day 1 of broadband. Cut to ~20 years later and I try a long ass cable for kicks and it doubled+ my speed. Go wired or knock down walls if you have to!

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Wifi 6 mostly fixes the Wifi speed and latency issues. My son's PC which is connect to a Wifi 6 access point that's using Wifi 6 for it's backhaul gets 5-10ms pings and 500Mbps transfer rates. My PC connected directly via ethernet is getting 2ms and 900Mbps though but the difference is really more about the backhaul for the access point for my son's PC than being connected via Wifi.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yeah, wifi speed really isn't an issue, at least for me. my internet connection is 300 down which my wifi can saturate no problem. if I had gigabit internet I might revisit.

Mesh wifi systems have really helped a lot in terms of coverage. I use 3 Google Wifi points in my house and have good coverage everywhere but the far end of the backyard, where the signal drops to maybe 15 down.

Latency isn't a huge issue for me, but a quick ping to 8.8.8.8 shows about 35ms of latency, which is more than fine for my needs.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    seems to be a big sale on many SSDs from best buy right now
    or maybe they're just price matching other retailers

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I kind of want to get a 12900K. Not because I need one, or it's a huge upgrade. I just want to play with undervolting it to see if I could get the temps and power draw under control while maintaining a high all-core frequency.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Working a bit more on my first computer build attempt.

So, on the Gigabyte B550 Gaming X ATX AM4 motherboard I'm seeing that I have:
    • Two PCIe x16 slots
    • Three PCIe x1 slots
    • Four SATA 6 Gb/s ports
    • Two M.2 slots

If I understand correctly, the Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD will use one of the two M.2 slots, and my Asus GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card will use one of my two PCIe x16 slots.

That leaves the other PCIe x16 slot, three PCIe x1 slots, four SATA slots, and the other M.2 slot. What should I ideally be doing with those?

Sorry if this is a super basic question, BTW. I've never attempted this before and am basically trying to teach myself as I go.

EDIT: I also realize that the Gigabyte B550 Gaming X ATX AM4 motherboard has both an HDMI and DVI port that won't be used seeing as I'm planning on getting a AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor that doesn't have integrated graphics, meaning that I'd instead be using the ports on the graphics card.

Would it be a better idea for me to switch to a different motherboard perhaps?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    @Hexmage-PA You have no reason to use the other expansion slots, so leave them alone.

If you later decide to spend as much on your network as you did on your computer, you can get a 10 GigE setup in your house and slot a 10 GigE adapter into your other PCIe x16 slot. If you decide to get a second nVME drive, you'd slot it into the second. If you get a bluray player because you're a dinosaur like me, you'd drop its connection into the SATA port bank.

For now, you'll just have all those other slots free, and that's fine. Those are, after all, expansion slots. You don't need to expand to fill them.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Another question: I'm assuming that for a power supply I only hypothetically need as many connectors as I have PCIe slots and SATA ports, right? Meaning, for this motherboard with 5 PCIe slots (two x16, three x1) I would need five PCIe 6+2 pin connectors, and four SATA connectors for the four SATA ports?

Oh, and what about M.2? Does it need connectors from the PSU, does it use SATA connectors, etc?

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Another question: I'm assuming that for a power supply I only hypothetically need as many connectors as I have PCIe slots and SATA ports, right? Meaning, for this motherboard with 5 PCIe slots (two x16, three x1) I would need five PCIe 6+2 pin connectors, and four SATA connectors for the four SATA ports?

Oh, and what about M.2? Does it need connectors from the PSU, does it use SATA connectors, etc?

You'll need 1-3 for the GPU, but I don't think most of the other expansion cards need more power than the slot provides. You will need a SATA plug for each hard drive, but they usually have like 3 daisy chained together. And the m.2 drives have everything just from the port on the board.

Most modular power sources should probably come with enough ports unless you're trying to run multiple graphics cards

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    These days, what do you even put in PCIE expansion slots aside from maybe more SSDs?

Then the old days of sound cards are largely gone. I mean, you can still buy sound cards, but motherboard on board sound is largely good enough for most people. Even low end motherboards will have ethernet ports and options to buy them with Wifi and bluetooth. I guess capture cards if you're into recording video?

• Options
    Capture cards, SSDs, network cards. All of which are relatively niche. I still have an older Intel PCIE SSD in one of mine.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I tend to take older PC's and throw extra NIC's in there and turn them into OPNsense boxes.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Picked up a RX 6600, which is doing quite fine for my humble 1080p needs, and gave my 1060 3gb to my brother-in-law.

Who I found out has been playing modern games on a fucking GTX 650, so yeah.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Hey y'all, my 4TB drive decided to just say bye-bye from one moment to the other today, so I'm looking for storage. I'm not looking for performance, and what do they call it? "long term usage"? "continous running"?
    Anyway. Are WD Reds still the go-to? This one was a Hitachi, it came recommended at the time. It is weird though that it just poofed out without showing warning signs, my old-ass HDDs used to die slow, painful deaths.

Oh well, at least Black Friday/"Cyber Week" are coming up!

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Hey y'all, my 4TB drive decided to just say bye-bye from one moment to the other today, so I'm looking for storage. I'm not looking for performance, and what do they call it? "long term usage"? "continous running"?
    Anyway. Are WD Reds still the go-to? This one was a Hitachi, it came recommended at the time. It is weird though that it just poofed out without showing warning signs, my old-ass HDDs used to die slow, painful deaths.

Oh well, at least Black Friday/"Cyber Week" are coming up!

Anytime I need a spinner, I just grab a WD Black and call it good. Never regretted it.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Blacks are 7200rpm right? I just need 5400, it's mostly media storage. That SHOULD influence shelf life positively as well I'm told
    [insert price is right fail horn here]

e: oh and another thing: has anyone ever used "esd-safe brushes"? Because some dust in my rig can't be removed by canned air. I should probably splurge and buy one of those small compressor things

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I use Seagate Ironwolf drives in my NAS and they've been great. WD Reds are also excellent and from what I've read quieter than the Ironwolfs.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    I, to this day, have no idea what a NAS is and how it works 🙈

But yeah, I remember Ironwolf drives being recommended as well. Let's hope there'll be some neat deals next week :D

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Blacks are 7200rpm right? I just need 5400, it's mostly media storage. That SHOULD influence shelf life positively as well I'm told
    [insert price is right fail horn here]

e: oh and another thing: has anyone ever used "esd-safe brushes"? Because some dust in my rig can't be removed by canned air. I should probably splurge and buy one of those small compressor things

Just get a couple toothbrushes or some vinyl bristled brushes and you'll be fine

• Options
    Posting this from my new computer! It's very nice. Still have all the old peripherals so it's weird to have everything be very different but very similar. I'm just setting up and clearing out all the useless MS-related crap at the moment. And downloading the most graphically intensive games I can to see how pretty they look now!

Although also I was planning on just popping out an old HDD and putting it in the new tower at some point to copy over files to this machine and... I swear I can't figure out where the hard drives would go in this. Like the entire front where the sort of stack of CD/DVD and HDD racks are on my old computer's case is taken up by the liquid cooling system. Hm and I may want to replace some of the fan setup, the top of the case is just some airholes at the moment. And possibly add RAM? It looks like it's sitting at 5GB just doing browsing right now.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    You can open the side panel and connect the drives to the SATA ports or you can use something like this

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07QKBNZ9G/

• Options
    Oh of course it would never be this straightforward even with a pre-built...

My 3070 isn't being detected by my monitors. Tried 4 different HDMI cords and they all result in "no signal" on both the monitor I've got and my TV.

Device Manager says it's working properly and the drivers are up to date. Any obvious things to try here?

• Options
    edited November 2021

My 3070 isn't being detected by my monitors. Tried 4 different HDMI cords and they all result in "no signal" on both the monitor I've got and my TV.

Device Manager says it's working properly and the drivers are up to date. Any obvious things to try here?

Just to cover the most basic possibilities:

Are you by any chance accidentally plugging into your onboard HDMI port instead of the GPU?

Can you try a DisplayPort cable?

minor incident on
  • Options
    edited November 2021

Just to cover the most basic possibilities:

Are you by any chance accidentally plugging into your onboard HDMI port instead of the GPU?

Can you try a DisplayPort cable?

Unfortunately I don't have a Displayport cable on hand.

I'm actually purposefully plugging into the onboard HDMI right now because I can use the integrated graphics stuff for setup/browsing tasks. When I plug a cable into the GPU it isn't detected. I opened it up and there are no obvious issues with the seating/cables, and it lights up with a big old "gigabyte" when I turn the tower on.

Edit: Whoop, it got weirder.

Now it doesn't work when I plug into the onboard HDMI, and it doesn't work when I plug into the leftmost HDMI port on the card, but it does work when I plug it into the rightmost HDMI port on the card but also there are a bunch of horizontal green lines popping up on the screen that flicker on and off when I do stuff like move the mouse.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    try disabling the integrated graphics in the BIOS and just using the discrete card
    that's a really weird problem that I very little idea about what is causing it but that's the first possible problem I can think of
    next thought is driver issues, might need to uninstall your existing geforce drivers and reinstall them. You can use the discrete card's outputs without drivers, it just defaults to generic drivers with low resolution.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Bah humbug. I did some other stuff, contacted support, and re-seated the card. All that did was swap it so that instead of the right port artifacting and the left port giving no signal, it's vice-versa now. So I put in for an RMA. They say to "Please ensure that the part is securely packaged", does anyone have experience with an RMA for a part that didn't come in packaging? Do I need to like put it in an anti-static bag, or do I just need to package it in a box, and then put that box inside a larger box that has a lot of bubble wrap in it?

• Options
    Bah humbug. I did some other stuff, contacted support, and re-seated the card. All that did was swap it so that instead of the right port artifacting and the left port giving no signal, it's vice-versa now. So I put in for an RMA. They say to "Please ensure that the part is securely packaged", does anyone have experience with an RMA for a part that didn't come in packaging? Do I need to like put it in an anti-static bag, or do I just need to package it in a box, and then put that box inside a larger box that has a lot of bubble wrap in it?

If they aren’t providing the packaging, then just do your best but don’t freak out too much. If you have an anti static bag, that’s great. Put it in there and then wrap it up in bubble wrap and/or pack the rest of the box out with air packet or packing paper. Ship tracked and insured.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Take pictures of the card before it leaves! Detailed ones. If it gets damaged in shipping you will have proof it left you in good shape.

In The Normal Times (tm) I was never really distrusting enough to do this, it was very rare for RMA's to get denied for much of anything that wasn't blatantly obvious ("Sir, you ran 3000w through the GPU"). In this GPU market though? Less reputable places are trying to weasel out of RMA's. Even EVGA's had a couple of questionable customer interactions over an RMA being reported which is extremely un-EVGA.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    If it's gigabyte, you're probably SOL unless you have the original packaging. And even then, they look for any excuse they can find to reject RMAs

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I kind of want to get a 12900K. Not because I need one, or it's a huge upgrade. I just want to play with undervolting it to see if I could get the temps and power draw under control while maintaining a high all-core frequency.

Someone did this and honestly, undervolting may be the way to go.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/qwn1j9/core_i912900k_performance_efficiency_at_various/.compact

• Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    If it's gigabyte, you're probably SOL unless you have the original packaging. And even then, they look for any excuse they can find to reject RMAs

It is a Gigabyte card, but I'm sending it back to Cyberpower since I got this as a pre-built. So hopefully I don't need the original packaging, since it's not available. I'll take photos and get insurance as well though. I'm pretty annoyed! This thing's otherwise quite nice.

This discussion has been closed.