Options

Game On: Pokemon

• Options
    PingPongPingPong Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    on the note with the TM breeding, what if the move can be learned via TM OR level up? example being uh... energy ball on treecko. he learns it LATE but it is also a TM. will the fact that it's a TM let him pass it on to baby treeckos, or will the baby treecko have to learn it the hard way?

PingPong on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I'm starting to get pretty good with the pokeradar. Biggest chain so far was 25. My shiny Absol was still a complete fluke; I found that thing on a chain of 2.

I will master the art of shiny hunting, for the day that there is a swarm of voltorbs.

what is the deal with the pokeradar? i dunno how to use it properly.

PingPong on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    PingPong wrote: »
    I'm starting to get pretty good with the pokeradar. Biggest chain so far was 25. My shiny Absol was still a complete fluke; I found that thing on a chain of 2.

I will master the art of shiny hunting, for the day that there is a swarm of voltorbs.

You can use it as a mechanism for increasing your chances of finding shinies, for EV training, catching rare pokemon, and more. It's pretty useful.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    speaking of swarms and the radar

I got cubones today, and snagged 2 thick clubs during one chain. <3 thief

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007

share? =)

PingPong on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Step into some grass and use it. The grass will rustle in different places. Run over those spots to fight something. If you faint it or catch it, more grass will rustle and the same pokemon will be in those. Not sure what the blinking grass means.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Scosglen wrote: »

You can use it as a mechanism for increasing your chances of finding shinies, for EV training, catching rare pokemon, and more. It's pretty useful.

yeah, but like how exactly should i use it? i use it, and a patch of grass shines. by the time i get there, i run into whatver random dude they have in the patch of grass anyway and i have to use it again 100 steps later. seriously.

PingPong on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

share? =)
    Not for cheap :)

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    SirToasty wrote: »

Step into some grass and use it. The grass will rustle in different places. Run over those spots to fight something. If you faint it or catch it, more grass will rustle and the same pokemon will be in those. Not sure what the blinking grass means.

REALLY. i didn;t knwo that. but do you run into other stuff on your way between two spots?

PingPong on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    if the grass is shaking more, there's a higher chance of seeing an uncommon or rare pokemon in it, I think. And the further the patch is from where you are, the more likely it is to have the same type of pokemon again.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007

REALLY. i didn;t knwo that. but do you run into other stuff on your way between two spots?
    Yes you can. That part sucks. If you run into something else randomly, it breaks the chain.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    RonTheDMRonTheDM Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Building a Hitmontop ... trying to make him actually useful ... obviously he looks all kickin' hot, but is he just another UU fighting?

RonTheDM on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well how you use the pokeradar depends on what you're trying to do.

Say you're trying to catch the legacy pokeradar exlusive pokemon like ditto, and you want a bunch of dittos.

You would go to the patch of grass that contains them and set off the pokeradar. Since ditto is rare you only go to the sparkly grasses since those have a much higher chance of having pokeradar exclusives in them. If you don't get a ditto you run and use the pokeradar again until you do.

When you get a ditto(or whatever you're looking for) you can either kill it and catch it to propagate what's called a "pokeradar chain", which is after killing or catching the pokeradar fires off again. If you go to the farthest away grass of the same type (shaking, sparkly) you will have a high chance of encountering the same pokemon you killed that set off the chain. By doing this you can continually fight the same specific (possibly rare) pokemon over and over in order to catch many of them or kill many of them for EV points.

Repels are practically a must if you dont' want your chain to get interrupted by wild random encounters in the grass.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    If you can get a chain going with a pokemon that can hold a very rare item like a lucky egg, thick club, or light orb, and you have a pokemon with thief or covet and a good supply of leppa berries, you can get those rare items much more easily.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Gah. Just one more Feebas before I can do another IV check, and they keep coming out with the wrong nature.

edit: Hurray! IV check time. Someone want to help please?

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    anyone know a good trainer to fight for attack EVs?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Just bought Pearl for myself and Diamond for my brother. Going to start out with Chimchar...

Any thing I need to know ahead of time with regards to not fucking things up? IVs, EVs, TMs whatever? Or can I not really actually mess anything up. I just don't want to get half through my game and have to start over, you know?

Hm, now I also need to think of clever names for myself and my pokemon. That is the hardest part of every game.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Save your TMs, especially the ones you can't buy more of. Other than that you can't really screw yourself over.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Simple enough. Off to play!

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    can anyone show me (trade-back) the fossil pokemon for me?
    or trade? I'm looking especially for the R/B/Y ones, I have cranidos, lileep, and anorith.
    right now, I have a bunch of cubones, and G/S/C and R/S/E starters, piplups and turtwigs. I can also breed you anything I have, or you have... I have a ditto of every nature.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    can anyone show me (trade-back) the fossil pokemon for me?
    or trade? I'm looking especially for the R/B/Y ones, I have cranidos, lileep, and anorith.
    right now, I have a bunch of cubones, and G/S/C and R/S/E starters, piplups and turtwigs. I can also breed you anything I have, or you have... I have a ditto of every nature.
    Let's see. I have a spare Shieldon and Omanyte. Only one Kabuto so that will be a tradeback. And I will be breeding Aerodactyl shortly.

Show me Lileep, do an IV check with me, and give me a Timid Ditto in return.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    MatthasnopantsMatthasnopants Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Can I trade my Kadabra to someone to evolve it? I'd really appreciate it. I need to evolve it before Alakazam is supposed to learn Calm Mind.

Matthasnopants on
  • Options
    a Ferreta Ferret 360 Dunk from Half Court Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ok i'm going to sail in a bit late to the game and ask a few questions that I'm sure have been asked before.

Why do you link up to IV check? Are you checking Hidden Power or something? ;/ Also, do the personalities have anything to do with stats?

a Ferret on
    Battle.net Polite#1852 | 3DS 2681-0927-8518 | Steam
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Crap. If I have a genderless Poke and I need to pass on a nature, can I give the everstone to it to pass it on? Or will I need the Ditto?

edit: Duh. Genderless can't breed at all without Ditto.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    we link up because there's an option to temporarily set all the combatant's levels to 100, which allows us to see their level 100 stats at level 1, which allows you to get exact numbers for the pokemon's IVs. At lower levels you can only get a range. It's also faster than the rare candy method, especially if you do it with 6 level 1s at once.

By personalities, do you mean the little text under their nature? Those do have something to do with stats, they indicate which stat's IV is highest, and give a clue to what value that IV actually is.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AverniAverni Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Can I trade my Kadabra to someone to evolve it? I'd really appreciate it. I need to evolve it before Alakazam is supposed to learn Calm Mind.

If you're still around, i'd be glad to, under the condition that you take my scyther as it evolves into scizor

Averni on
    LoL Summoner: Keredar
    575468-1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Got a good one. Def and HP could be better, but they aren't terrible. Sp.A, Sp.D and Speed though?

Feebas - #349 (Bold)
    HP: 15
    Att: 21
    Def: 18
    SpA: 27
    [noparse]SpD:[/noparse] 31
    Speed: 30

edit: It actually inherited the 3 stats that I wanted it to inherit (Sp.A, Sp.S, and Speed)

SirToasty on
  • Options
    SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Got a good one. Def and HP could be better, but they aren't terrible. Sp.A, Sp.D and Speed though?

Feebas - #349 (Bold)
    HP: 15
    Att: 21
    Def: 18
    SpA: 27
    [noparse]SpD:[/noparse] 31
    Speed: 30

edit: It actually inherited the 3 stats that I wanted it to inherit (Sp.A, Sp.S, and Speed)

I'd be anal enough to rebreed for better SpA, HP and Def, but yea it looks good.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Ugh. Porygon breeding is awful. 25% chance for nature and ability.

I have gotten one with the right nature and one with the right ability. But not in combination. That's out of 5-6 eggs.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Actually do rebreed that Feebas. Milotic thrives on its HP.

Also which nature are you looking for?

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Just to clarify, if I'm just starting out I should more or less just play and beat the game and then worry about training EVs and breeding and making my fun time happy battle team?

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah just beat the game.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Just to clarify, if I'm just starting out I should more or less just play and beat the game and then worry about training EVs and breeding and making my fun time happy battle team?

Yes. Meta game becomes ALOT easier once you have access to the Battle Tower etc.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Speakeasy wrote: »
    Actually do rebreed that Feebas. Milotic thrives on its HP.

Also which nature are you looking for?
    For the Feebas? Bold. Porygon is Timid.

I really don't want to put the time into rebreeding Feebas. I'm EV training it with 252 HP. Only a 16 HP difference from perfect HP IVs.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    (I am dumb) I just stick to the high-levels past spring path in that area before turnback because bibarels and staravia's give 2 EV each, just run from golducks.

RonTheDM on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Bidoofs give off 1 HP EV, not attack.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    My bad, no wonder I have a tank Kricketune.

I have stuck to the area near TB, anywho.

RonTheDM on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

share? =)
    Not for cheap :)

i'll give you an oran berry!

PingPong on
  • Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Is there any logic behind the damage I take from confusion? Is it based on my defence stats, or the attack I'm using?

Alpine on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited June 2007
    I think it goes off your attack stat, but I've never checked to make sure.

Whippy on