As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come talk about the Jaguar, 3DO and Gex in the [Retro Games] Thread

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I like the original better. It is more colorful. The artstyle is better.
    They always have to change the textures in the remasters.

I've actually played a bunch of hours of the remake and been as far as Phedrana and back and...
    Nope, this looks SO MUCH BETTER.
    It's yet another case of "this is how you remember the game looking.
    I'm a trublue diehard fan of the original on the Gamecube, but now the models look a lot more... Solid? Material? The game world looks realer. Not more realistic, but more there.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Gim wrote: »
    MMMig wrote: »
    Unlike the Warcraft 3 Reforged which was basically dead on arrival. Prob one of the biggest flops in history tbh.

Was the community ever able to mod that game into something usable, or is that even doable in the Blizzard ecosystem?

Trash fire, to put it lightly.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Man I need to replay this and go for 100%

https://youtu.be/RSXcajQnasc

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    Man I need to replay this and go for 100%

https://youtu.be/RSXcajQnasc

You have to play through the game 3 times with each god. I wonder if there is a way to copy my old save to my modded Wii. There probably is.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    I finished up my old save of Dark Forces in The Force Engine! That feels good. Turns out I only had a few levels left. I had originally tracked down a mouselook mod that worked with the version of the game I was running in PCem that worked extremely well, but that's built into TFE (along with widescreen support and save states) so it was easy to get going again. The ending is Katarn coming across the lowest-possible polygon count model of a shuttle craft which is so damn charming.

In the credits, Tim Schafer is credited as "Motivational Guru".

• Options
    It my mind all the Lucasarts games are canon. Screw Disney.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

Fate of Atlantis sure would've made a better Indy 4.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Somebody really likes Super Bombad Racing.

• Options
    I am building a cabinet so I can clear off my desk and put my sister's old tv in the bedroom.
    Then I can hook up the Turbo Duo and the Wii U. I need to get an HDMI switch. I can also hook up the AVS (NES clone console).
    I got the Mister on a monitor in the computer room. I need to turn up the volume on it. It has this annoying design where the setting buttons are on the back.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    I actually put in a piece of the cabinet upside down, but it is too late now. It will not be noticeable when the drawers are in.
    The annoying part is over. It is just building the drawers now.
    I can actually stack these cabinets. That may be an idea.
    I need to see if the landlord would be ok with me putting up shelves. I need to put up some game racks.

Edit. The cabinet has been built. Now to clean off the desk. Putting all the Turbo Duo bootlegs in one drawer.
    The mini consoles will go in the others.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    I am getting a black screen on the WiiU. I have not started it up in a while. It does have a clock battery. It might be dead.

I got the Turbo Duo working, but the Everdrive card sometimes works. Is there a way to clean the pins in a Turbo Duo?

Krathoon on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Pic of this stackable cabinet? Sounds cool.

(Hopefully including the Turbo Duo in the pic... god I miss my old one, one of my fave consoles ever.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Jazz wrote: »
    Pic of this stackable cabinet? Sounds cool.

(Hopefully including the Turbo Duo in the pic... god I miss my old one, one of my fave consoles ever.)

Well, it is not really a cabinet. It is an organizer.

I got the Everdrive working in the Turbo Duo again. I think the problem is the Hu card slot. I had to slightly move the card back to get it to work. The slot needs to be replaced. I can't find anyone to do that.

Edit: That Hu card slot is messed up. The Everdrive is not working again. I hooked up the Mister and played Turbo Duo games on it. Situations like these is what the Mister is for.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    I found a switch for the MiSTer. Unplugging it is getting old.
    I am tempted to get a better case for it. This 3D printed case is kinda crappy.

• Options
    I found a switch for the MiSTer. Unplugging it is getting old.
    I am tempted to get a better case for it. This 3D printed case is kinda crappy.

The Spectrum Next didn't have a power switch either (sticking to the original slightly too closely there). A couple of pounds on an inline power switch was worth its weight in gold.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Popful Mail is a good example of how to do a Sega CD game.
    I can see why it is seen as a classic.
    https://youtu.be/UT_q-hoLaLI

I am going to try the AV cable on the Wii U. See if that works with this TV. For some reason, it is not outputting to HDMI and the pad will not connect.
    The AV cable should come in the mail tomorrow.
    I tried taking out the clock battery and it did nothing.
    The Mister works on HDMI so the HDMI ports on the tv are fine.

It looks like the Mister does not emulate the Sega CD with the 32X attachment.

Krathoon on
  • Options
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Get the "un-working designs" hack of Popful if you can. It lowers the challenge/grind dramatically back to the point of being fun, i.e. the original Japanese release. The English voice though is too hilarious to give up, so go unworked.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

It is scary that I remember that ad on TV.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Digital Pictures made a boat load of Sega CD games. Kids on Site and Ground Zero Texas have also been remastered.
    Wikipedia lists all the versions of their games.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Pictures

I guess the 32x version of Night Trap has better video.

My VPN connection keeps dropping. So, it is not that useful. Not really worth it if it keeps cutting out.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Get the "un-working designs" hack of Popful if you can. It lowers the challenge/grind dramatically back to the point of being fun, i.e. the original Japanese release. The English voice though is too hilarious to give up, so go unworked.

Working Designs always had to screw with the difficulty. Never understood why. Just translate the damn game.

Edit. Oh, I watched the 32x version of Night Trap. 10x better.

The first Digital Pictures game was a beta. This other company released it.
    http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/citizen-x/

Krathoon on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    It is scary that I remember that ad on TV.

Never played Game Day but this one's actually my favorite. Detailed simulations on the PSX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N85MChd0Th4

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Digital Pictures also made this football game. eXoDOS has it. Apparently, there is no copy of the 3DO version online.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarterback_Attack_with_Mike_Ditka

The 3DO version of Sewer Shark is the best.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    That Quarterback Attack is campy as hell. The DOS version has pretty good video quality.

I get the impression that the Mario movie is going to be just as silly as the Lego Movie. It is going to be more of a parody.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    https://youtu.be/yhIttcRZAhc

It is hilarious how the politicians got Night Trap all wrong. You don't trap and kill women in the game. You trap the augers.

I finally got the Wii U to work. I had to hold the power button for a while on startup. Then the gamepad connected.
    It turned out that I had to set the display settings to get the tv output to work. It is a small tv. It just goes to 720p.
    I think I will just use the component output. That will free up the HDMI inputs.

The Turbo Duo is not working right. I have to slightly pull out the Everdrive to get it to work. Also, the region mod is not working. I push in the button to switch it to Japan and the Everdrive does not work.

I found a bug on the Mister. It is not playing the start menu music on Silhouette Mirage.

Edit: I just got my Limited Run copy of Zombies Ate My Neighbors. It is a clear green cartridge. I tested it out in the Supaboy and the only thing they changed was that they replaced the Lucasarts logo with Limited Run.
    It also has 3D glasses and a 3D booklet. So, a pretty good release.
    My Ghoul Patrol cart and Switch copy of the games should also be coming in the mail.

The Ground Zero Texas remaster is kinda buggy. The game crashed when I hit esc.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Yahel (Wrestling with Gaming) makes excellent retro documentaries, if you're at all interested in any topic he covers, you want to click it. You'll be dazzled by his own 3D animations as he thoroughly covers all the development stories in depth with a gentle but zero nonsense narration.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    This is the game Digital Pictures tried to make when they went bankrupt. It was made into a movie called Game Over. Somehow this guy got a demo.
    https://youtu.be/A9wetemobR8

Krathoon on
  • Options
    I just heard some very random Sega trivia.

The Genesis/Mega Drive had a 512 color palette and could show up to 61 colors on-screen.

The Game Gear had a 4096-color palette but could only show up to 32 colors on-screen.

The SNES smokes both, but it's fascinating that the Game Gear had the larger color palette of the two Sega platforms.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

The Genesis/Mega Drive had a 512 color palette and could show up to 61 colors on-screen.

The Game Gear had a 4096-color palette but could only show up to 32 colors on-screen.

The SNES smokes both, but it's fascinating that the Game Gear had the larger color palette of the two Sega platforms.

The Game Gear did release 2 years after the Genesis, so in a way that's actually not terribly surprising.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    It seems like the Mister psx core is a little too particular on the game format. You have to have separate bins for audio tracks.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

The Game Gear did release 2 years after the Genesis, so in a way that's actually not terribly surprising.

And the Atari Lynx had the same color palette as the Game Gear, which was 1989. Interesting.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    All versions of Sewer Shark are bad though :D

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The world would have been a lot different with Nintendo kept their deal with Sony.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    The world would have been a lot different with Nintendo kept their deal with Sony.

Yep. We'd all be typing all of our responses through our Nintendo Smartphones while connected to the Sony Network.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    edited February 2023

And the Atari Lynx had the same color palette as the Game Gear, which was 1989. Interesting.

I guess the surprising part is that the Game Gear was essentially a marginally-souped-up Master System which otherwise wouldn't compare all that favourably against the Genesis/Mega Drive, while the Lynx was almost entirely bespoke and weirdly powerful for its time (it took the GBA to eventually offer more power in a handheld, 12 years later).

Jazz on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The GBA blew my mind when it released. There were finally 3D games (well, "3D" games) on a handheld. I mean yeah we had stuff like Faceball 2000 and Days of Thunder on the Gameboy, but the GBA was different. The games were in color and moved at (what felt like at the time) a decent speed. I still don't understand the thought process behind releasing a portable that was powerful enough to get decently comparable SNES ports, but with half of the face buttons that the SNES had however.

Then later the PSP released, and my mind was blown again. We were finally getting home console quality games on a handheld. Then came the earliest CFWs and the arms race between Sony and their firmware updates and various coders who would find new vulnerabilities, with both sides trading blows back and forth, all the while great games were coming out on a regular basis. Those were magical times.

• Options
    I still don't understand the thought process behind releasing a portable that was powerful enough to get decently comparable SNES ports, but with half of the face buttons that the SNES had however..

TBF few SNES games knew what to do with the shoulder buttons, pretty much Street Fighter and that was a kind of awful stand-in for six face buttons. So as long as the GBA L/R were comfortable (like on the original model), those ports didn't miss out too often.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    I did not know that From Software did the Echo Night series. There is a translated Echo Night 2 out there.

Krathoon on