Options

Come talk about the Jaguar, 3DO and Gex in the [Retro Games] Thread

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    This was a damn fine lot of Atari games. I could not resist getting them.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/304237920900

They are kind of worn, but they are all working. The seller had photos.

I will tuck them away somewhere. I wish there was something like a Retrode to try them out with.

I will have to gather the pdfs of the manuals for them.

• Options
    Dragonfire, Vanguard, and Jungle Hunt were really good. Frogger was also a classic.

• Options
    I think there was a Porky's Revenge Atari game.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited September 2022
    I never knew they made Tron disc game for the Atari!!! I realize I don't have Warlords and should get a copy one of these days.

Edit: I should clarify for the 2600.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

I will tuck them away somewhere. I wish there was something like a Retrode to try them out with.

I spent so many hours playing Atari Spider Man (and Combat and Pitfall)

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    i hack everything, particularly now that the console makers are cranking the "we hate people" dial to 12

I haven't hacked anything that I haven't also subsequently slashed, but I figure it's only a matter of time at this point.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options

I was surprised as the selection. All of them seem good.

• Options
    edited September 2022

The Spiderman game is a classic. I had that one as a kid, but then my mom sold all the Atari stuff.

So, I am glad to have a copy again. Also glad to have a copy of Berserk again.

I think there was a game called Star Raiders that used a keypad. That one was not as interesting.
    Kind of like Wing Commander, but not with the good graphics.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Star Raiders II was a damn good sequel though. I played the Spectrum version (I don't think the Speccy got the first one).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HFzBRblNUk

• Options
    Codemonkeys is on Peacock. I am surprised they are showing it in these politically correct times.

It shows you what G4 was like back in the day.

• Options
    Archive.org has the G4 Icons. Unfortunately, no one has gathered all the episodes in one zip file.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    I had this weird thing happen when I tried running Command and Conquer Renegade trough the Origin launcher.
    It started up a Harry Potter game on my PC instead.
    I have no idea why it did that. Weird as hell. I did use a fan patch on Renegade. I started it up using the fan patch link and it worked.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Game.exe

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options

The Spiderman game is a classic. I had that one as a kid, but then my mom sold all the Atari stuff.

So, I am glad to have a copy again. Also glad to have a copy of Berserk again.

I think there was a game called Star Raiders that used a keypad. That one was not as interesting.
    Kind of like Wing Commander, but not with the good graphics.
    Memory is a little fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure I got that game hand me down, but without the keypad. Which would explain why that gane never made any sense whenever I tried playing it.

Bizarre to get the piece to puzzle I hadn't thought about it nearly 40 years.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    The version of Tiberian Sun from EA totally does not work. You have to use the free fan version. They released that game as open source a long time ago.
    CNC supports those old games now if you want multiplayer.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I had this weird thing happen when I tried running Command and Conquer Renegade trough the Origin launcher.
    It started up a Harry Potter game on my PC instead.
    I have no idea why it did that. Weird as hell. I did use a fan patch on Renegade. I started it up using the fan patch link and it worked.

Not that it wasn't a passable game when it finally came out, but Renegade will always be a textbook example in my mind of how the promise of a game's original vision and scope during development...would be completely replaced by something more feasible and like an actual video game when it came out.

And it's not even the obvious things like "dynamic skybox lighting" or "one-to-one scale base structure interiors"; things like taking the steel-grey skeletal Nod Buggy--which clearly had a bespoke 3D model they used for the original game's FMV, since it certainly never appeared as a physical prop or object--which they showed off in the previews only to turn it into a bright red Hotwheels-looking race car with a gun, because that's what attack cars looked like in video games and it had to be recognizable.

An art direction that really looked like the years-older FMV in Command & Conquer was probably never feasible. It's kind of sad that they teased it out that way when it was first announced.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    I always found it funny how Red Alert was drastically improved with Kari Wuhrer. No one remembers the original Tanya.

It looks like Season 5 of G4 Icons is the elusive season to find on the internet. It does not really matter because that season was not about video games.
    What is great about the show is that it is like a crash course in the gaming industry.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    I always found it funny how Red Alert was drastically improved with Kari Wuhrer. No one remembers the original Tanya.

It looks like Season 5 of G4 Icons is the elusive season to find on the internet. It does not really matter because that season was not about video games.
    What is great about the show is that it is like a crash course in the gaming industry.

I remember seeing Kari Wuhrer before in a B-movie called Hot Blooded (at least on the copy I saw... it was released under at least three other titles, including Red-Blooded American Girl II, I shit you not). So seeing her pop up in Red Alert 2 was one of those "huh? holy shit!" moments.

And yeah, she instantly became the iconic Tanya and still is.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Jenny McCarthy was a good replacement Tanya.
    Red Alert 2 and 3 are just the right amount of silliness. The first game is too serious.

I think the EA version of C&C Generals also would not run. I had to fan patch it.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    I was looking at the eBay listing again and the Spiderman game does look pretty rough.
    The seller says he cleaned the cartridges, but they look like they need a good scrubbing with a toothbrush and some alcohol.

• Options
    I found a good deal on Vanguard. $10 CIB.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/234515071768

Also found these:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/134196736509

I will stop shopping now. I am tempted to go for Jungle Hunt.

• Options
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Here is Vanguard. Pretty kewl.
    https://youtu.be/ewQDKtc1i-4

Krathoon on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFNxJVTJleE&list=PLKBPwuu3eCYkScmqpD9xE7UZsszweVO0n

• Options
    edited September 2022
    I found a NIB Jungle Hunt for $26. They must have made too many of those.

Is War Stories the new Icons?

Krathoon on
  • Options
    This is pretty cool.
    https://youtu.be/DXXK1ulWLzE

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Is posting our own eBay listings against the rules? I know we can’t do self-promotion of developed games, but I’m not sure about listing our own auctions.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I think you can stick a link in your SIG but maybe run it by a mod

• Options
    I guess it was ok posting what I bought.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    I guess it was ok posting what I bought.

Yeah, that is fine, I was more asking for myself. Since I’m trying to sell a bit of my game collection.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Considering how difficult it can to see her in her black tanktop and camo pants against a green screen from compressed 480i full motion video, that's not entirely surprising.

When tapes are lost, they are lost (well, except for something like Project A-ko), but you even consider the limitations of modern AI upscaling, it was pretty necessary in the case of Command & Conquer. A lot of that stuff is just not visible, though in Red Alert's case, I think it basically let them getaway with humorous errors like having Soviet officers in "uniforms" with Russian tricolor sleeve patches some forty years prior to independence from the USSR.

• Options
    My son just showed me this Atari 2600 Lego set and it's pretty dang cool.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/atari-2600-10306

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    I find the difficulty on Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 to be amusing. They make it just hard enough where you can wipe on the final boss of the level.
    I will have to check into how you level up in the game. There are also these extra levels that I have to find out how to access.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    My son just showed me this Atari 2600 Lego set and it's pretty dang cool.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/atari-2600-10306

You should come join us in the Lego thread. Then you'll wish you never came and joined us in the Lego thread.

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/241414/the-lego-thread-adults-welcome#latest

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Windows apparently thinks all cracked no cd exe files are viruses. How convenient.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I mean, law of averages..

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    I have found not all games behave well in VMware. If a game is a little jankey, it will have problems.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular