As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It seems like a porch pirate swiped the package with my Zelda Game and Watch. Either that or was not really delivered. I let Play Asia know I did not receive it. I will see if I can get a refund.

I have this gut feeling the Fed Ex guy did not deliver it. I usually don't have people stealing my stuff.
    Oof, my sympathies.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It seems like a porch pirate swiped the package with my Zelda Game and Watch. Either that or was not really delivered. I let Play Asia know I did not receive it. I will see if I can get a refund.

I have this gut feeling the Fed Ex guy did not deliver it. I usually don't have people stealing my stuff.

stories like this make me seethe...best of luck getting it worked out.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Zunde wrote: »
    I was not ready to wake up today to "Dead by daylight but Dragonball."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYv-c7GaT4k&ab_channel=BANDAINAMCOEurope

Why would anyone choose to play as anyone but Oolong the shapeshifting pig?

Because they might also have Puar, the shapeshifting flying cat?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Today I was away from any computers with just the Switch, and decided to try something I'd gotten a while ago but never got around to. I started playing Starlink: Battle for Atlas.

This is a really good game! It looks great and plays great and feels like a lot of effort was put into it. It's a shame it flopped. In some ways it feels like a more hand-designed No Man's Sky with less jank. I mean, they're not really comparable gameplay-wise (especially after NMS's patches) but just in the look and the concept of flying to different alien planets in your custom ship. And surfaces dotted with various hotspots of activity.

It leaves a weird first impression, it starts out too much in media res. Who are these people, what is going on, you can't just drop all this on me with a couple sentences of text! But before long it grows on you well enough, and it's fun to play and that's all that matters. Star Fox's team ends up very well integrated into the game to the point where it is almost a Mario Rabbids situation.

Definitely an Ubisoft open world game in every respect. Go to the place, do the activity, check it off your map. There's enough variety that it doesn't get boring.

It feels like it's one of the more permissive/consumer-friendly and least bloated of the toys-to-life games, there are really not that many characters and ships and you just need one weapon of each element to do everything conveniently. Definitely needs to be played digitally though, like, no question. I would hate to have to fiddle with toys every time I want to change things up.

It's not on sale right now but based on trends it goes on extremely deep sale every few weeks, and will likely be $12 again shortly.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    It does get pretty repetitive in the end, in my opinion. There's a ton of doing the same things over and over, just in order to make the bigger battles easier but also less interesting.

But yeah, it's a good game that's significantly held back by the toys to life thing. It's not just the need to buy things to use them, the progression mechanics are also pretty messed up as a result.

jothki on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Also Starlink gave us a real Star Fox game and he is barely in it

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    It'll take the sting off my WiiU dying.

I don’t mean to sound callous but you’ve had 9 years to get over the death of Wii U.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    I was happy to champion Starlink until, well, you know...

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

I don’t mean to sound callous but you’ve had 9 years to get over the death of Wii U.

IT STILL HURTS!

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I recently bought an Xbox starter kit of starlink just to get the pilot and ship out of it since gamestop had it priced at 5$

Can't find the toys anywhere anymore and the digital versions are overpriced as hell

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Today I was away from any computers with just the Switch, and decided to try something I'd gotten a while ago but never got around to. I started playing Starlink: Battle for Atlas.

This is a really good game! It looks great and plays great and feels like a lot of effort was put into it. It's a shame it flopped. In some ways it feels like a more hand-designed No Man's Sky with less jank. I mean, they're not really comparable gameplay-wise (especially after NMS's patches) but just in the look and the concept of flying to different alien planets in your custom ship. And surfaces dotted with various hotspots of activity.

It leaves a weird first impression, it starts out too much in media res. Who are these people, what is going on, you can't just drop all this on me with a couple sentences of text! But before long it grows on you well enough, and it's fun to play and that's all that matters. Star Fox's team ends up very well integrated into the game to the point where it is almost a Mario Rabbids situation.

Definitely an Ubisoft open world game in every respect. Go to the place, do the activity, check it off your map. There's enough variety that it doesn't get boring.

It feels like it's one of the more permissive/consumer-friendly and least bloated of the toys-to-life games, there are really not that many characters and ships and you just need one weapon of each element to do everything conveniently. Definitely needs to be played digitally though, like, no question. I would hate to have to fiddle with toys every time I want to change things up.

It's not on sale right now but based on trends it goes on extremely deep sale every few weeks, and will likely be $12 again shortly.

it’s funny you say that becuase while i haven’t played it a bunch since launch, I never finished the game because I found it very repetitive. It was a solid game, just felt like I was doing the same 3 things over and over.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I feel like I cannibalized my wiiu when I took it's pro controller with the 8bitdo adapter and started using it on the switch when the powerA controllers broke/got stick drift.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I liked Starlink well enough. It's just one of those "stopped playing it a bit, never picked it back up" stories. Still won't delete it, because "I'll pick it back up one day". I have the second DLC pack on my wishlist, and it's always going on sale, again one of those "I'll get it next time it's on sale" sort of things.

Curiously, I also have the Star Fox character DLC on my wishlist too. Has neeeever gone on sale once...

I think Best Buy here is still trying to get rid of the starter packs. Heck, I remember a long while back they were doing some promotion, buy any game, please for the love of god take this Starlink pack free... please.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Starlink is pretty neat and I got a bunch of enjoyment out of it, but the repetition ended up wearing me out of the game before finishing it.

Absolutely get the deluxe digital version when it goes on sale, though. I got mine for like twelve bucks and it came with a good enough pile of weapons and ships to play around.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    I recently bought an Xbox starter kit of starlink just to get the pilot and ship out of it since gamestop had it priced at 5$

Can't find the toys anywhere anymore and the digital versions are overpriced as hell

I've seen toys turn up at 5 Below and even some dollar stores

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

The Wii U isn't dead!

In December, Captain U will be released to celebrate the 9-year anniversary of the Wii U for only $2.99!

As reported by Nintendo Life, Captain U is a 2D platformer that makes use of the Wii U's touch screen, motion controls, and dual-screen capabilities. Ultra Dolphin Revolution described the game as an affectionate parody of its prior Wii U titles and the console itself. Players control Captain U, who uses the power of his legendary weapon the PowerPad to help locate and save the princess.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I'm waiting for the Switch port of Captain U...

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

IT STILL HURTS!

You never get over the pain. It just gets easier to live with it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I was happy to champion Starlink until, well, you know...

Starlink will always have its fans, I think. Something about that game just hits certain people exactly the right way.

https://youtu.be/_5EK3KPAteU

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I disagree that the WiiU is under-appreciated. It was a dog shit console. If anything, it gets more appreciation than it deserves. I say that as a huge Nintendo fan.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

it’s funny you say that becuase while i haven’t played it a bunch since launch, I never finished the game because I found it very repetitive. It was a solid game, just felt like I was doing the same 3 things over and over.

Well in my defense, I did say I "started" playing Starlink. Plenty of time for it to get repetitive yet.

I played some more and some new mechanics opened up, I can build observatories and refineries and stuff now. It seems like if you wanted to beeline straight through to the end it would be a really short game? Looking at the list of cutscenes I think I'm 60-70% of the way through the game. Unless some crazy wall comes up like "do everything on every planet, then you can fight the final boss."

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Dirty wrote: »
    I disagree that the WiiU is under-appreciated. It was a dog shit console. If anything, it gets more appreciation than it deserves. I say that as a huge Nintendo fan.

I thought it was a great console that got no support. there were not very many games released for it, but i played a lot of bayonetta and MH3U on it. I also played BotW on it. I think the upper end of games on the wiiu graphics-wise run a lot better than the stuff they are trying to run on the switch. there are so many switch games with horrible frame drops.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »

I thought it was a great console that got no support. there were not very many games released for it, but i played a lot of bayonetta and MH3U on it. I also played BotW on it. I think the upper end of games on the wiiu graphics-wise run a lot better than the stuff they are trying to run on the switch. there are so many switch games with horrible frame drops.

Games tend to run well on the WiiU because for a lot of them it was the only target platform. The Switch gets more multi platform games.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »

Games tend to run well on the WiiU because for a lot of them it was the only target platform. The Switch gets more multi platform games.

And then there's Age of Calamity...

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

Yeah, I got the pack with fox and the arwing for less than 10 bucks awhile ago. That game tanked hard, but its a shame because its a really fun game and the best "star fox" game we've gotten for awhile.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I find the notion that the Wii U gets better than it deserves to be puzzling, at best. The thing was derided and loudly ignored for pretty much the entire lifespan of the console. I still remember some of the discussions we had here some years back. If the thing got any more flack, it would probably be in the form of people burning them in the street.

edit:

And this will probably be responded to with "they should.", lol.

Enlong on
  • Options

ya no joke, pokemon s&s runs like crap in the mega battles and in the open field area, age of calamity is like 15 fps tops, smt 5 which is a brand new game has issues with fps, disgaea 6 has it. and a lot of the cross platform games have some kind of issues because the resolution was downscaled. like fortnite looks worse, and has pop-in issues, and in general doesn't render things as far. i dont think having cross platform is really a boon for the system when to make it work they have to do voodoo witch magic and you get a lesser experience still. at least the games ran well on the wiiu, and it could play pretty much every wii game.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

ya no joke, pokemon s&s runs like crap in the mega battles and in the open field area, age of calamity is like 15 fps tops, smt 5 which is a brand new game has issues with fps, disgaea 6 has it. and a lot of the cross platform games have some kind of issues because the resolution was downscaled. like fortnite looks worse, and has pop-in issues, and in general doesn't render things as far. i dont think having cross platform is really a boon for the system when to make it work they have to do voodoo witch magic and you get a lesser experience still. at least the games ran well on the wiiu, and it could play pretty much every wii game.

This is exactly why I was hoping that the Switch Pro rumors were true.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Cross platform works fine if the devs actually put the work in and account for what the Switch can and can't do.

• Options
    Having the ability to use the Wii U as a pseudo-handheld was awesome for the time. The Switch kicked the shit out of it in pretty much every way other than the analogue sticks, but I quite enjoyed my proto-Switch until then.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

I do tend to speak more for my own experience than gamers as a whole, but I low-key hate everything about the WiiU as a piece of hardware. The Wii was and the Switch is underpowered with a compelling gimmick to make up for it. The Wii brought motion controls, which were very exciting at the time, and the Switch has it's whole hybrid thing going on. But the WiiU didn't have a compelling gimmick to offset it's lack of power.

At that point in time, Nintendo had been doing dual screen gaming for 8 years, and I hadn't seen any good reasons for the second screen to exist. Now they brought dual screen gaming to the console, where it is objectively worse because your eyes can't focus on both screens at once. The only good thing about it was off-TV play ... which only worked if I was in the same room, so I never used it. PS4-to-Vita remote play, however, was something that worked in every room of my house.

I really hope Nintendo gets around to porting everything else to the Switch or whatever ends up replacing the Switch in the future. I keep the WiiU hooked up for Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Galaxy 2, those 2 Zelda HD games, and the Metroid Prime trilogy.

Dirty on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Having the ability to use the Wii U as a pseudo-handheld was awesome for the time. The Switch kicked the shit out of it in pretty much every way other than the analogue sticks, but I quite enjoyed my proto-Switch until then.

Proto-Switch you can only use in your bed or otherwise tethered to a wall socket.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

Proto-Switch you can only use in your bed or otherwise tethered to a wall socket.

I was a college student in shared housing at the time, so that wasn't that much of a restriction for me.

Heck, most of the time I use my Switch now, I'm lying in bed while it's plugged into a wall socket.

jothki on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I got a lot of use out of my Wii U almost entirely for Super Mario Maker. I got some other games as well, but that was the majority of my gameplay on it.

I was super impressed I could get the screen to see to my second floor bed when it was on the floor almost directly below me. Was a nice pre switch era kind of portable thing.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I find the notion that the Wii U gets better than it deserves to be puzzling, at best. The thing was derided and loudly ignored for pretty much the entire lifespan of the console. I still remember some of the discussions we had here some years back. If the thing got any more flack, it would probably be in the form of people burning them in the street.

edit:

And this will probably be responded to with "they should.", lol.

no they shouldn't!

they should simply wait for the disc drive to fail and throw it in the garbage

:wonk:

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    That's just wrong.

Please recycle your damaged electronics.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The Wii U did it's Zelda ports so fuckin' right, and it's outrageous that Nintendo clearly removed similar map functionality from Breath of the Wild on Wii U so as to not make the Switch version look obviously inferior.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    I’m actually pretty happy with the switch overall and I hope it keeps trucking for a while yet. I grew up around underpowered consoles and PCs, and bad ports and poorly optimized games all the time, so I’m more forgiving. Like, yeah, i much prefer 60 FPS during like, fighting games and some racing games, but, for example, age of calamity’s frame drops don’t matter to me because the game just isn’t precise or mechanically demanding enough for that to be an issue.

• Options

I still find the Wii U GamePad more comfortable to hold than a handheld Switch.

I can't wait for the day 20 years from now (give or take) when someone cobbles together a completely portable Wii U inside of the GamePad casing.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    My most memorable Wii U games were ZombiU and Pikmin 3.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767