As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Is it just me, or are the eshop Black Friday sales kind of lousy this year?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was keen to see what was on sale but my wishlist is pretty devoid of discounts.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I am curious what the sale will be after Xmas though since that one kind of sucks as it goes for 3 or 4 days in the chaos after the holiday
    I have to use some of the gold coins I have by the end of this month so I had hoped the e shop sale would have been better
    My debate is to get either Pheonix Wright again, Tiny metal, Hades or get a e shop card to get Astral Chain or Hyrulian heroes. I have till Monday when I leave work to think about it

Brainleech on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I know there's a Monster Hunter thread but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYcp90a-S7A

They even got Escape from the City. It's the perfect amount of dumb.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

All I really noticed was Travis Strikes Again for like 14.99, which, with my coin buildup, was about five bucks for me. Still, I'd say 15 bucks is pretty good for that if anyone's been on the fence about getting it

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Yeah, I was keen to see what was on sale but my wishlist is pretty devoid of discounts.

Same here. I see a bunch of popular games that I either already have or don't want anywhere from 50-90% off. Then I go to my wishlist, and most of it's not on sale at all, and if it is, the discount is 20% or less.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »

Same here. I see a bunch of popular games that I either already have or don't want anywhere from 50-90% off. Then I go to my wishlist, and most of it's not on sale at all, and if it is, the discount is 20% or less.

Bit of a contrast when you also have Steam and see so many cracking good deals there.

• Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular

Bit of a contrast when you also have Steam and see so many cracking good deals there.

The xbox sale is decent too, but I own too many of those games already, and own too many games is general to buy any more right now.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Is anyone else seeing issues with downloading newly games? I'm getting an error saying that the purchasing user is not present. Maybe it's a desync between the store and download servers?

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular

I thought it was pretty decent. I picked up about 7 or 8 games for around 60 bucks-ish

List:
    Bloodstained Curse of the Moon
    Curse of the Moon 2
    Kentucky Route Zero
    Okami HD
    Quake
    Duke Nukem 3D (it's like 2 dollars)
    Burnout Paradise

I'm also eyeing The Messenger and Wolfenstein 2

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    As a huge fan of action roguelike/lites, sell me on Black Future!

The core gameplay is you're climbing a tower broken up into rooms like Metroid that randomizes its layout as well as what bosses you face when each time. There is an "AI" (think The Director from Left4Dead) that specifically improves the defenses of the tower to try and stop you by doing things like adding more enemies to certain sections or sending bounty hunters after you (think mini-bosses that can move around the map) and you only have a specific time limit to climb to the top. The gameplay itself is very contra/bullet hell-like.There's tons of powerups and weapons that add different abilities and attributes. Some make your clock/health (they're tied together) tick down faster each time you use them or have them equipped, some give you more time, but there's also something either positive or negative that goes with it as a tradeoff. There are weapons that are super effective but use money as ammunition, or will drain your timer faster as you use them etc. Lots of really cool unique weapons and abilities....actually you know what.. this will sell it better than I ever could:

https://youtu.be/exQSJVND2iA

The visuals are amazing and it has a very heavy 80's/synth aesthetic. If you're into roguelikes of any kind try this out. It's only like $8 right now.

Edit: also keep in mind that review is from years ago and there have been a lot of updates to address the issues he does bring up (such as replayability).

But yeah Black Future is definitely on my list of must have Switch games, especially if you play in handheld.

Edit 2: this video gives a better idea of the gameplay:

https://youtu.be/HEad-7yY2IY

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Looks like the issue fixed itself, I guess it was just the servers being slow.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular

Pretty much everything on my DekuDeals wishlist is on sale, the problem is very few of them are all-time low prices, or even matching the previous lows. There were a few temptations, but nothing that I've actually bothered buying yet.

• Options
    Deku Deals is pure greatness.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

I thought it was pretty decent. I picked up about 7 or 8 games for around 60 bucks-ish

List:
    Bloodstained Curse of the Moon
    Curse of the Moon 2
    Kentucky Route Zero
    Okami HD
    Quake
    Duke Nukem 3D (it's like 2 dollars)
    Burnout Paradise

I'm also eyeing The Messenger and Wolfenstein 2

Damn, nice picks.

Also thanks for pointing out quake sale to me. Quake on the go for 6 bucks sounds great.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    I got Party Golf for free, since it was reduced to $2 and I had more coins than that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Party Golf is actually awesome.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

I don't even mind the eShop deals not being as good as Steam sales. I'm willing to pay more to have games on a console.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular

I don't even mind the eShop deals not being as good as Steam sales. I'm willing to pay more to have games on a console.

there's not a lot of thought behind this statement but i kind of wish games started out at full price and then on a set basis just decreased. So if i want to be a first adopter or whatever i pay for that, but if i knew i could be patient and wait a year and the game would always be 50% off that would be great. I guess the randomness of the sales or the way some games go on cheap super fast and others don't just annoys my "orderly" desires.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

????????

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    If you take the same game and it plays just as well except it's now also portable, generally you should expect to pay more, yes.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    I'm similarly confused as to why people are willing to go out of their way to get a version of a game that comes with a mandatory drink coaster-shaped dongle that renders the game inaccessible if you break or lose it.

edit: The Switch uses much smaller dongles, but the point still stands.

jothki on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    As opposed to putting all your eggs into a digital basket that will vanish some point into the future. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    As opposed to putting all your eggs into a digital basket that will vanish some point into the future. :)

We're still talking about the Nintendo eShop, right?

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    The answer is very simple.

Preference. There is no other deeper meaning.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

The idea that Steam will crash as a marketplace before physical media stops working is uh... incorrect. It's just wrong, various physical copies are already going belly up. And how are those rescued? Digital copies of the software... You've got it completely backwards.

• Options

The idea that Steam will crash as a marketplace before physical media stops working is uh... incorrect. It's just wrong, various physical copies are already going belly up. And how are those rescued? Digital copies of the software... You've got it completely backwards.

To be fair, this is Nintendo we're talking about here, and they're nowhere near as good about keeping online services running. To continue to be fair, they're also kind of terrible about keeping hardware support for old games as well.

• Options

Yup.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »

????????

My laptop is capable of playing games, but I am much more likely to actually play a game if I have it on console. It's just my preference. I really only game on PC if the game's not available on any console that I own.

• Options
    edited November 2021

Yup.

I was making a joke.

The joke being talking about Steam shutting down ‘at some point’ being a monumental problem for PC gaming while ignoring Nintendo’s upcoming closure of the WiiU and 3DS stores.

Digital stores can close, physical media can fail, physical media these days relies on digital stores, especially Nintendo physical games.

No video gaming is safe forever, no matter how well you try to safeguard your collection.

I personally rebuy Steam games I want to keep on GoG which lets me download the offline installers, complete with all patches. However, this doesn’t mean in 10 years PCs will be able to run those old games, and my portable HDD can and eventually will fail.

Perils of the hobby.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    Steam sales aren't even as good as Steam sales anymore.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The best Steam sales aren’t on Steam, they’re on Fanatical and Humblebundle, who tend to match Steams price and add extra discount on top.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Steam sales aren't even as good as Steam sales anymore.

I feel like this is because we've already bought all the good deals lol. Someone new to Steam is likely to see lots of good deals on the sale.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    You know what IP I never thought we'd ever see again? Little Nemo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhYkJofYWHA

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
  • Options
    Ha ha ha. Literally 2 days after I buy it for PS4.

• Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    You know what IP I never thought we'd ever see again? Little Nemo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhYkJofYWHA

The slow/floaty movement and low animation frames is killing this for me. Little Nemo for the NES was the first game I bought with my own money. It didn't age well though.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Ha ha ha. Literally 2 days after I buy it for PS4.

Thanks!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I tried that 13 Sentinels game and after 2 hours of tutorials and cutscenes I gave up. I'm sure the game opens up eventually but holy hell just let me play the game.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I got confused for a second and thought A Boy and his Blob was a Little Nemo game.