Options

Catastrophic shipping accident in Maryland

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Usagi wrote: »
    From a 2019 interview with Smithsonian, Stockton Rush everyone (emphasis mine):
    ... tourist subs, which could once be skippered by anyone with a U.S. Coast Guard captain’s license, were regulated by the Passenger Vessel Safety Act of 1993, which imposed rigorous new manufacturing and inspection requirements and prohibited dives below 150 feet. The law was well-meaning, Rush says, but he believes it needlessly prioritized passenger safety over commercial innovation (a position a less adventurous submariner might find open to debate).

“There hasn’t been an injury in the commercial sub industry in over 35 years. It’s obscenely safe, because they have all these regulations. But it also hasn’t innovated or grown—because they have all these regulations.” The U.S. government, meanwhile, has continued to favor space exploration over ocean research: NASA today gets about $10.5 billion annually for exploration, while NOAA’s Office of Ocean Exploration and Research is allotted less than $50 million—a triumph of “emotion over logic,” Rush says. “Half of the United States is underwater, and we haven’t even mapped it!”

Edit: for context the cost of the planned replacement for the USN-owned and Woods Hole operated submersible Alvin, which carries humans down to 14000ft, is currently US$22mil for good reasons that include but aren't limited to preventing the deaths of it's passengers.

Hell, the OceanGate folks didn't even bother to wander into a fucking West Marine and spend less than eight hundo on a Cat 1 EPIRB that would be beeping away right now, announcing the Titan's position via satellite.

This is something that is driving me utterly bonkers.

I installed a personal EPIRB in my offshore harness/vest and it took a few hundred bucks and 5 god damn minutes. Couldn't think "ya know what? one of the most reliable rescue devices in the history of mankind is available from a store where drunk sunburnt retirees buy pool noodles...maybe I should get one."?

The ocean does not fucking play around.

thiiiis times a million

I cannot get over this entire story it's insane and so insanely fucking LAZY and irresponsible

if you've taken Beginner Kayaking for Dumbshits you know to take safety seriously and yet these guys said "who fuckin cares"

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Neveron wrote: »
    They'd find the scattered remnants of the carbon-fiber hull.

Reportedly searchers have heard "banging" in the vicinity of the Titanic (Rolling Stone had an article, but behind a paywall), so sounds like they didn't implode. I'm not sure there's any way for them to get rescued even if they're found, though, especially with just thirty remaining hours of oxygen.

Yeah, with more time you might be able to get an ROV on site and get lucky, but... I have a feeling the outcome is going to be at best recovering the bodies (if it's possible to easily get the ballast loose somehow) and figuring out what went wrong.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Neveron wrote: »
    They'd find the scattered remnants of the carbon-fiber hull.

Reportedly searchers have heard "banging" in the vicinity of the Titanic (Rolling Stone had an article, but behind a paywall), so sounds like they didn't implode. I'm not sure there's any way for them to get rescued even if they're found, though, especially with just thirty remaining hours of oxygen.

Yeah, with more time you might be able to get an ROV on site and get lucky, but... I have a feeling the outcome is going to be at best recovering the bodies (if it's possible to easily get the ballast loose somehow) and figuring out what went wrong.

What Went Wrong: A very short story about a very bad submarine

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Where did the Rolling Stone get "banging"? The description elsewhere is just "unspecified noises." Which could be survivors, or could be just a random animal bumping into a rock.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I'll say this though, bolting yourself into an air tight tube that can only be opened from the outside and then fucking off into the ocean without a beacon is a better use of his time than what most billionaires get up to.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I am just as guilty of this, but what is it about this situation that gets everyone talking about it vs. like, an apartment building collapsing and the drama of the corrupt city government moving to demolish the site before all the bodies are accounted for, like happened somewhere in the US in the last few months? Because it's funny and stupid instead of sad and awful?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

Sorry Im not very familiar with metric, is that deep?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2023
    I am just as guilty of this, but what is it about this situation that gets everyone talking about it vs. like, an apartment building collapsing and the drama of the corrupt city government moving to demolish the site before all the bodies are accounted for, like happened somewhere in the US in the last few months? Because it's funny and stupid instead of sad and awful?

Yeah basically. Like that was all over my social and news media, but it was grim and horrible the whole way through so talking about it was rage inducing and sad in equal measures, it wasnt exactly a community party.

I think in particular the fact that the CEO is down there kicks it up a notch, entertainment wise. As an illustrative counterpoint - with the Greek refugee boat, every death on board is a tragedy. With this one ... look all I'm saying is if they pull four people out alive and one doesn't make it, I know who I hope it will be.

tynic on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

You mean the apartment building that collapsed less than one month ago, where three bodies were recovered from it after protests delayed the initial attempts to demolish it, records show that at least one contracting firm stated the building was unsafe for people to stay in months ago, and the building owner has... paid a $300 fine?

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2023
    part of it is our desire for schadenfreude, part of it is the grim ridiculousness of the details, part of it is that it involves something primal that has been both feared and romanticized since humans have existed, and part of it is that like it or not we enjoy talking about the wealthy and powerful, however unearned those traits may be (especially if it involves the aforementioned schadenfreude)

I'm sure there's more to it, but those are four very powerful draws that a collapsed apartment building, as horrible and tragic as it is, just can't capture

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    The amount of money you have should not shield you from consequences when your deliberate choices bring harm to others, is my hot take.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

With the apartment collapse, I think people get frustrated and depressed by "There should have been systems in place to protect these people from a thing they had no means of preventing on their own." People feel their own helplessness in their inability to help other helpless people. It's a bad feeling to sit with.

But when somebody does something incredibly stupid and dangerous and it goes predictably and avoidably sideways, people get to feel empowered - "My God, something bad in the world I could have prevented. I simply wouldn't have gotten in the suicide tube. Look at it. Even me, person who often feels cruelly buffeted about by the capricious whims of fate, could have avoided that horrible tragedy, by using my two eyes and like one half modicum of common sense. The world is full of unpredictable horrors, but that one? Man, goddamn, that one would NOT get me."

It's not a, like, GREAT human instinct, but it's kinda like when you see some maniac blow past you at like eighty miles above the speed limit and then you see their car pulled over by highway patrol or flipped in a ditch and you're like, "Man, see, that's exactly why I don't fucking do that," it feels like proof the world is sometimes something approaching ordered or sane

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Sorry Im not very familiar with metric, is that deep?

Yes 3700M is about 12139 in feet

• Options
    People were angry about the apartment complex collapse because several people died and many more were harmed due to a social parasite who cared more about money than lives. It'll keep happening to people. It could happen to any of us. What won't happen to any of us is getting inside a coffin built from a shopping cart full of RV accessories and diving down to gawk at a testament to man's hubris inside a smaller testament to man's hubris.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    what makes this incident funny is the hubris of the people involved; seeing arrogant people get their comeuppance is like, one of the foundations of human storytelling so seeing it happen in real time is always compelling

the difference between this and that apartment story is that the people in the apartment building (at least presumably) weren't running around going 'haha the building inspector says it's structurally unsound, but fuuuuuuck him', they just needed a place to live

and I mean, it is terrible for these guys' families that they've (probably) lost their lives doing something so dumb; but on the other hand, they tried to reach the titanic wreck with a metal tube and a playstation controller

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    People were angry about the apartment complex collapse because several people died and many more were harmed due to a social parasite who cared more about money than lives. It'll keep happening to people. It could happen to any of us. What won't happen to any of us is getting inside a coffin built from a shopping cart full of RV accessories and diving down to gawk at a testament to man's hubris inside a smaller testament to man's hubris.

That's the funny bit, you nailed it.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My interest is twofold. I'm scared of the ocean so this scenario is morbidly fascinating in a way that things which scare you are. And glee at the CEO being one of the people in there. Because yes it's tragic and sad but also you're a billionaire and this is how you chose to spend your time instead of helping people? Feels a bit like karma.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Why compare it to the collapse when the migrant boats tipping over were getting memed on last week?

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    ... tourist subs, which could once be skippered by anyone with a U.S. Coast Guard captain’s license, were regulated by the Passenger Vessel Safety Act of 1993, which imposed rigorous new manufacturing and inspection requirements and prohibited dives below 150 feet. The law was well-meaning, Rush says, but he believes it needlessly prioritized passenger safety over commercial innovation (a position a less adventurous submariner might find open to debate).

“There hasn’t been an injury in the commercial sub industry in over 35 years. It’s obscenely safe, because they have all these regulations. But it also hasn’t innovated or grown—because they have all these regulations.” The U.S. government, meanwhile, has continued to favor space exploration over ocean research: NASA today gets about $10.5 billion annually for exploration, while NOAA’s Office of Ocean Exploration and Research is allotted less than $50 million—a triumph of “emotion over logic,” Rush says. “Half of the United States is underwater, and we haven’t even mapped it!”

Edit: for context the cost of the planned replacement for the USN-owned and Woods Hole operated submersible Alvin, which carries humans down to 14000ft, is currently US$22mil for good reasons that include but aren't limited to preventing the deaths of it's passengers.

Hell, the OceanGate folks didn't even bother to wander into a fucking West Marine and spend less than eight hundo on a Cat 1 EPIRB that would be beeping away right now, announcing the Titan's position via satellite.

I installed a personal EPIRB in my offshore harness/vest and it took a few hundred bucks and 5 god damn minutes. Couldn't think "ya know what? one of the most reliable rescue devices in the history of mankind is available from a store where drunk sunburnt retirees buy pool noodles...maybe I should get one."?

You can’t take a 2 person dinghy out to see in Australia without an epirb lol.

Alt post: submarines, they kill off billionaires, they smuggle in my cocaine. Is there anything they can’t do?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I was thinking about that as the smuggling subs look they have more thought put into them than this banana boat of a sub

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    The small boat is stuck in the big boat that's stuck in the ocean.

It's like a matryoshka doll of stuck boats.

• Options
    I remember once swimming in the ocean, about 2 weeks offshore in about 3km of water. That was a spooky feeling

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    I remember once swimming in the ocean, about 2 weeks offshore in about 3km of water. That was a spooky feeling

I can never sleep on a plane because my brain forces me to contemplate all the nothing between my seat and the ground.

Got a similar feeling contemplating your swim.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I was thinking about that as the smuggling subs look they have more thought put into them than this banana boat of a sub

Well yeah, can't be losing those sweet sweet drugs. They're valuable.

It would appear that rich people just don't.....give a fuck about safety?

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

Well yeah, can't be losing those sweet sweet drugs. They're valuable.

It would appear that rich people just don't.....give a fuck about safety?

It gets in the way of their cool ideas that are definitely cool because it got so retweeted you guys

• Options
    Stockton Rush down there hiring a bunch of plucky up and coming Crab People to build an abovemarine to take him back to the surface while ignoring Crab People Safety regulations.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

I can never sleep on a plane because my brain forces me to contemplate all the nothing between my seat and the ground.

Got a similar feeling contemplating your swim.

There's not nothing.

There's a bunch of pissed off fish angry that Tef's ruining their perfectly good water

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    I barely even pissed in it

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

Is that a typo or do you mean you were swimming for 2 weeks?

Furthest I've been swimming from shore is about 5k when I went swimming with sharks. I should have been terrified but I was distracted by feeling really seasick. Which I didn't think was a thing that could happen while you are actually in the water, but apparently it is.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv4_YVC2Jdo
    "Every trip I've taken, there was a problem": Former Titan Titanic travellers reveal issues

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Fun fact, this video almost gave me an anxiety attack.

Just... Raw, existential dread watching that.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Shipwrecks are fascinating to me.

The idea there are two almost perfectly preserved boats from WW2 20,000+ feet underwater is crazy. I wish I possessed a small, probably not at all deadly submersible vehicle that could take me down there to look at them.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Almost verbatim what I said to my coworkers yesterday during lunch:

Me: A submersible got lost looking for the Titanic.
    Husband, a Titanic geek: Oh, they’re gone.
    Me: Well, there’s a search and rescue—
    Husband: No, they’re gone.
    Me: But they do have 36 hours of oxygen left—
    Husband: They’re gone.
    Me:
    Husband: Don’t ever go in the ocean.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Juggernut wrote: »
    The small boat is stuck in the big boat that's stuck in the ocean.

It's like a matryoshka doll of stuck boats.

The Onion never disappoints.

Coast Guard Sends Another Submersible Full Of Billionaires After The First One

Delzhand on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited June 2023

You can’t take a 2 person dinghy out to see in Australia without an epirb lol.

Alt post: submarines, they kill off billionaires, they smuggle in my cocaine. Is there anything they can’t do?

I need this on a t-shirt

Usagi on