As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Catastrophic shipping accident in Maryland

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Is there even any way to rescue them in time if they are somehow still intact on the ocean floor? How would they reach them before the deadline when those depths require highly specialized transportation, much less haul them back up enough to safely open the tin of sardines?

Yes, the USN has the Fly Away Deep Ocean Salvage System (FADOSS) which has lifted much smaller things from this depth, they use a bunch of big ROVs to inspect and hook up before lifting. But somebody has to find the thing first, and FADOSS has to get itself and the support equipment from wherever it currently is, to Newfoundland, and then out to the Titantic site while figuring out how they can lift it safely.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Stockton Rush is a dumb name

it's like a Michael Bay character name

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Stockton Rush is a dumb name

it's like a Michael Bay character name

Or a James Cameron character name

Brock Lovett was the name of the guy searching the wreckage in titanic the movie

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Usagi wrote: »
    From a 2019 interview with Smithsonian, Stockton Rush everyone (emphasis mine):
    ... tourist subs, which could once be skippered by anyone with a U.S. Coast Guard captain’s license, were regulated by the Passenger Vessel Safety Act of 1993, which imposed rigorous new manufacturing and inspection requirements and prohibited dives below 150 feet. The law was well-meaning, Rush says, but he believes it needlessly prioritized passenger safety over commercial innovation (a position a less adventurous submariner might find open to debate).

“There hasn’t been an injury in the commercial sub industry in over 35 years. It’s obscenely safe, because they have all these regulations. But it also hasn’t innovated or grown—because they have all these regulations.” The U.S. government, meanwhile, has continued to favor space exploration over ocean research: NASA today gets about $10.5 billion annually for exploration, while NOAA’s Office of Ocean Exploration and Research is allotted less than $50 million—a triumph of “emotion over logic,” Rush says. “Half of the United States is underwater, and we haven’t even mapped it!”

Edit: for context the cost of the planned replacement for the USN-owned and Woods Hole operated submersible Alvin, which carries humans down to 14000ft, is currently US$22mil for good reasons that include but aren't limited to preventing the deaths of it's passengers.

Hell, the OceanGate folks didn't even bother to wander into a fucking West Marine and spend less than eight hundo on a Cat 1 EPIRB that would be beeping away right now, announcing the Titan's position via satellite.

This is something that is driving me utterly bonkers.

I installed a personal EPIRB in my offshore harness/vest and it took a few hundred bucks and 5 god damn minutes. Couldn't think "ya know what? one of the most reliable rescue devices in the history of mankind is available from a store where drunk sunburnt retirees buy pool noodles...maybe I should get one."?

The ocean does not fucking play around.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Is there even any way to rescue them in time if they are somehow still intact on the ocean floor? How would they reach them before the deadline when those depths require highly specialized transportation, much less haul them back up enough to safely open the tin of sardines?

Yes, the USN has the Fly Away Deep Ocean Salvage System (FADOSS) which has lifted much smaller things from this depth, they use a bunch of big ROVs to inspect and hook up before lifting. But somebody has to find the thing first, and FADOSS has to get itself and the support equipment from wherever it currently is, to Newfoundland, and then out to the Titantic site while figuring out how they can lift it safely.

So in the event it is still intact they'll be able to retrieve the bodies then. And maybe someone with an eye towards criminal liability charges can take a look at the craft itself to find what went wrong.

• Options
    Dude exactly! When I first saw this pop up on my newsfeed my first thought was "oh hopefully their EPIRB means they can find them quickly" and was utterly furious to find out they didn't bother with any of the typical safety things for just plain old surface sailing, much less subs.

Criminally negligent.

• Options
    The sailor part of me is utterly gobsmacked at the lack of care and humility this prick demonstrated.

The video game industry part of me is good friends with the head of strategic partnerships at Logitech and is terrified to reach out to see if he's still breathing.

(there is literally no way that it was a partnership arrangement - that thing was picked up at a Target, I'm sure)

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Dude exactly! When I first saw this pop up on my newsfeed my first thought was "oh hopefully their EPIRB means they can find them quickly" and was utterly furious to find out they didn't bother with any of the typical safety things for just plain old surface sailing, much less subs.

Criminally negligent.

Oh they're going to get sued into the ground. You actually can't waive away your right not to be killed, A, and B the utter lack of industry standard safety practices means they're grossly negligent, which again, you can't waive away your right to not be subjected to gross negligence.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    The sailor part of me is utterly gobsmacked at the lack of care and humility this prick demonstrated.

The video game industry part of me is good friends with the head of strategic partnerships at Logitech and is terrified to reach out to see if he's still breathing.

(there is literally no way that it was a partnership arrangement - that thing was picked up at a Target, I'm sure)

Job lot off ebay would be my guess.

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Wait, ABC news just claimed it was controlled by a playstation controller, not a Logitech.

The console wars have taken a strange turn indeed.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I believe it is a logitech controller for the playstation 3.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    it was a logitech controller intended for a playstation

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2023
    To be fair, those Logitech controllers aren't, like, good, but it's really easy to reverse engineer their serial protocol. And when I'm building a deep sea vessel, "something a 12 year old could code up" is certainly my highest priority for an interface.

tynic on
  • Options

So in the event it is still intact they'll be able to retrieve the bodies then. And maybe someone with an eye towards criminal liability charges can take a look at the craft itself to find what went wrong.

I mean, they made a submarine out of hubris and Camper World parts, I'm pretty sure we know what went wrong.

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Just a quick primer for those who are smarter than Usagi and myself and thus have chosen a life away from water - this is the type of device we're raging about.

https://www.westmarine.com/ocean-signal-rescueme-mob1-ais-dsc-personal-locator-beacon-16749251.html

That little $330 bit of kit goes utterly batshit when activated. It sends out regular pulses to all ships in the area with your exact coordinates AND rings a designated "I need my ass to be saved ASAP" number every 5 minutes AND a group number every 30. And that's just the itty bitty version of it.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    From a 2019 interview with Smithsonian, Stockton Rush everyone (emphasis mine):
    ... tourist subs, which could once be skippered by anyone with a U.S. Coast Guard captain’s license, were regulated by the Passenger Vessel Safety Act of 1993, which imposed rigorous new manufacturing and inspection requirements and prohibited dives below 150 feet. The law was well-meaning, Rush says, but he believes it needlessly prioritized passenger safety over commercial innovation (a position a less adventurous submariner might find open to debate).

“There hasn’t been an injury in the commercial sub industry in over 35 years. It’s obscenely safe, because they have all these regulations. But it also hasn’t innovated or grown—because they have all these regulations.” The U.S. government, meanwhile, has continued to favor space exploration over ocean research: NASA today gets about $10.5 billion annually for exploration, while NOAA’s Office of Ocean Exploration and Research is allotted less than $50 million—a triumph of “emotion over logic,” Rush says. “Half of the United States is underwater, and we haven’t even mapped it!”

Edit: for context the cost of the planned replacement for the USN-owned and Woods Hole operated submersible Alvin, which carries humans down to 14000ft, is currently US$22mil for good reasons that include but aren't limited to preventing the deaths of it's passengers.

Hell, the OceanGate folks didn't even bother to wander into a fucking West Marine and spend less than eight hundo on a Cat 1 EPIRB that would be beeping away right now, announcing the Titan's position via satellite.

I awesomed this not because it is awesome, but because I appreciate any commentary from somebody who knows their shit

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    I believe it is a logitech controller for the playstation 3.

Ah, well they just showed a standard ass playstation controller, but maybe that's the best they had in the national news props department

• Options
    Hilariously, this event is likely going to do as much to change the current marine regulatory regime as Titanic herself sinking did.

*honk honk IRONY BUS honk honk*

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    so, one thing i'm curious about is signal propagation underwater. i know that we can send signals all the way through the atmosphere but would a similar transmitter still work through miles of saltwater? how much attenuation is there?

(granted, if they're on the ocean floor i don't think a signal would matter anyway, we'd just know where the bodies are)

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    That dude is going to be so pissed to have a maritime safety act named after him.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    asofyeun wrote: »
    so, one thing i'm curious about is signal propagation underwater. i know that we can send signals all the way through the atmosphere but would a similar transmitter still work through miles of saltwater? how much attenuation is there?

(granted, if they're on the ocean floor i don't think a signal would matter anyway, we'd just know where the bodies are)

They're definitely designed for surface type things, but who knows

If (when) they figure out its on the ocean floor it'll likely be because of the sonar buoys or seismic tracking, that shit can hear a krill fart

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    I have a question about that beacon thingy, the one these idiots didn't have.

What sort of pressures are they rated for? And how would you rig it to work, at depth?

I assume the surface use case is trivial.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    My argument that we should be far more concerned by the ocean than space is backed up here.

Space didn't gooify billionaires the fucking ocean did.

I've got faith in space and it's ability to both incinerate and flash freeze billionaires

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    RedTide wrote: »
    My argument that we should be far more concerned by the ocean than space is backed up here.

I've got faith in space and it's ability to both incinerate and flash freeze billionaires

As much fun as it would be to launch billionaires towards the sun, it would be much more resource-efficient to eject them from the galaxy

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Look, I'm no legislator, but if a billionaire home brews a submarine and then dies in it in a spectacularly public way, then I think job done, lesson illustrated, no new laws needed.

Honestly I'd encourage billionaires to innovate in the extreme exploration space, I'd start a contest for building a submarine in your backyard and personally piloting it to the bottom of the Marianas Trench and back and the prize is we'll rename a state after you, you pick which one.

• Options

As much fun as it would be to launch billionaires towards the sun, it would be much more resource-efficient to eject them from the galaxy

If we assume a $25k upfront investment, sounds like homemade submarines are the most resource efficient route to billionaire removal

• Options

If we assume a $25k upfront investment, sounds like homemade submarines are the most resource efficient route to billionaire removal

We've got enough garbage in the ocean as it is!

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    asofyeun wrote: »

Well, looking at the website...
    Frequencies: AIS: 161.975/162.025MHz, DSC: 156.525MHz
    156 megahertz radio is going to penetrate... I can't figure out the length, but not very far at all. Fantastic on the surface, not so much underwater.

For reference, the usual method to talk with subs is very low frequency radio waves in the kilohertz, and they let you talk to subs tens of meters underwater. Talking to military subs at operational depths (hundreds of meters) requires extremely low frequency radio waves measured in no-prefix hertz, which is something that only governments do (and of them, only the US, China, Russia, and India). (One of those antennae was 52 kilometers long.)

Notice that the Titanic is not at tens of meters down, though, or hundreds of meters. It's three thousand seven hundred meters down.

For an underwater ROV (or, IIRC, Challenger Depths dives?), you'd use some kind of extremely long cable trailing after the machine.

The deep ocean is not very friendly.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

This is a classic case of a whalefall, though.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »

This is a classic case of a whalefall, though.

Actually I am surprised no one's tried to meme that the orcas have taken the sub hostage

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Orcas would absolutely take hostages.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2023

Yeah but look at it this way - if we toss in enough billionaires, pretty quickly it's gonna be a net positive on how much garbage gets thrown into the ocean. I mean, this one guy literally sold private jets, we already may be at a net positive for the environment.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Look, I'm no legislator, but if a billionaire home brews a submarine and then dies in it in a spectacularly public way, then I think job done, lesson illustrated, no new laws needed.

Honestly I'd encourage billionaires to innovate in the extreme exploration space, I'd start a contest for building a submarine in your backyard and personally piloting it to the bottom of the Marianas Trench and back and the prize is we'll rename a state after you, you pick which one*.

*must be a directional state

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Orcas would absolutely take hostages.

They're probably smart enough to know we wouldn't want these folks back.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    if it imploded would they ever even be able to find anything

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    if it imploded would they ever even be able to find anything

i guess hypothetically they might be able to find one very dense thing

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    You fools, we're trying to prevent rising sea levels!

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »

Honestly I'd encourage billionaires to innovate in the extreme exploration space, I'd start a contest for building a submarine in your backyard and personally piloting it to the bottom of the Marianas Trench and back and the prize is we'll rename a state after you, you pick which one*.

*must be a directional state

Deep

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    They'd find the scattered remnants of the carbon-fiber hull.

Reportedly searchers have heard "banging" in the vicinity of the Titanic (Rolling Stone had an article, but behind a paywall), so sounds like they didn't implode. I'm not sure there's any way for them to get rescued even if they're found, though, especially with just thirty remaining hours of oxygen.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular