As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 7, Monaco: Merc develops odd growths, Russell perplexed

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Wow, rain really coming down. Probably not going to get a Q3.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    W Series delayed for obvious reasons, but expecting to still race.

Visser and Agren are, not surprisingly, having to sit this one out. Visser was interviewed, and she's just going to rest up this week ready for Zandvoort. Can't blame her at all and I hope she's 100% for next week.

Edit: Agren on live now in good spirits. Limping slightly with a bruised knee but says she's otherwise 100%.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited August 2021

Revised second half of the calendar, officially dropping to 22 races now. A few races shifting dates too, I'll have to update the calendar in the OP later.

Ayla Agren has pretty much joined the W Series presenters to co-present while they fill in the time until the race finally gets going after F1 finishes Q3! And she's good at it, too.

Jazz on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Q3 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    OH MY GOD
    Russel P2? Holy shit, holy shit, what a lap!

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Rain again as the W Series prepares to finally get going!

Edit: cars still parked as it just chucks it down.

Edit again: sorry, got so wrapped up in it, forgot to update. Brilliant race when it finally got going, after a few laps behind the safety car. (Took so long to get started they had to go off air on TV and shift to Facebook video and, belatedly, Youtube.) Amazing moves from a couple of drivers that were good to see fighting at the sharp end again.

Drivers:
    Kimilainen and Marta Garcia!

Positions:
    1st and 3rd!

Catch it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiAPSMRwrYU

Jazz on
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Quali
    Well, that was a bit of a crazy session.

First and foremost I'm glad that Norris is ok. It was one hell of a shunt at that speed and I'd put him down as 'doubtful' for tomorrow - both for medical reasons and because his car is trashed. Such a pity, as he was going superbly up until that point. Was nice to see Seb stop to check if he was ok as well.

Then we have George Russell. That's a qualifying drive for the record books. A pity he didn't get pole but I'm sure he's more than happy with that one.

Hamilton and Mercedes had a bit of a mixed session, largely because Merc kept getting the calls wrong and because the car just doesn't seem that good in the wet. Having to burn their last fresh set of inters in Q2 didn't help. Still, there was a bit of magic in the first flying lap from Hamilton, but not enough to hold pole.

altid on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Is the weather supposed to clear up for tomorrow?

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    https://www.planetf1.com/news/belgian-grand-prix-2021-weather/
    For Sunday’s race, the sunshine symbol disappears completely from the forecast at Spa. Instead, for the duration of the race, it suggests light rain at a consistent possibility of over 40% as well as a gentle breeze.

So nope.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Consistent light rain would make it a fun, interesting race. Anything heavy enough to make any standing water near eau rouge should SC the race immediately.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Holy fucknuts, Batman, what a session by Russell. Would have loved for him to have pole, but P2 is fine as well.

Glad, Norris is ok. That corner really needs to change.

• Options
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Saw this "highlight" in my Twitter feed. I haven't been into Nascar since they added restrictor plates (I am olde), it's so dumb nowadays.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Spa Q3
    Looked to me like Norris may have injured his left arm. He was holding it pretty gingerly getting into the medical car.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Saw this "highlight" in my Twitter feed. I haven't been into Nascar since they added restrictor plates (I am olde), it's so dumb nowadays.

What's even more hilarious is that was the third big multi-car wreck in the last 13 minutes of the race.

This was the last race to get into the Chase, so everyone was hungry for a hail mary win to get in.

• Options
    Norris gets a 5 place grid penalty due to having to change the gearbox after the crash.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Pre race
    Perez has slid into the wall on the way to the grid. He’s done and will not start the race.

• Options
    Looks like a safety car start. Start has been delayed by 10 minutes due to further rain.

• Options
    altid wrote: »
    Looks like a safety car start. Start has been delayed by 10 minutes due to further rain.
    20 past already and the rain doesn't look any better now.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    More delays. At 20 mins delay so far.

• Options
    Pre race
    Perez has slid into the wall on the way to the grid. He’s done and will not start the race.
    Fuck. Only good thing for Red Bull is Bottas starting at 13 instead of more up front.

• Options
    Pushing it back by 5 minutes every time seems a little bit awkward. Especially as it looks like it’s getting worse.

• Options
    More rain forecast. Looks as though they may be starting to try and get ahead of it?

• Options
    Formation lap going and it really doesn’t look driveable. Barely any visibility.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    verstappen: gonna keep a bigger distance to the safety car. Can't really see it.
    Also verstappen: condition are fine, let's race.

• Options
    And that’s a no go. Start suspended.

• Options
    Some of the on-boards look really bad. And if the rain will go worse in a few minutes it's going to be even shittier conditions.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Its very much ‘if’ we race today, rather than ‘when’. Possible that they shift the event to Monday?

• Options
    red bull are arguing with Masi to get Perez back in.

Verstappen sounds a bit like an idiot to be honest, being all upset that they don't start in these conditions

• Options
    Its very much ‘if’ we race today, rather than ‘when’. Possible that they shift the event to Monday?
    That's assuming it's any better on monday. :confused:

Given the state of the Eau Rouge bump, visibility issues, and the crashes we've had this weekend alone it would be fairly bad to get started now.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    thrilling stuff

• Options
    Agreed. After all, this is what can happen in Spa in a bad weather:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R22nxVYLaBQ

• Options
    Agreed. After all, this is what can happen in Spa in a bad weather:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R22nxVYLaBQ

Fisichella was really lucky there.

• Options
    Looks like Perez can take part, if they fix his car. Wow.

• Options
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Pit lane start. :smile:

If they even get to start. :lol:

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    I’m very surprised by this. He wasn’t part of the formation laps. Surely that would mean back of the grid at the very least?

I wouldn’t be surprised if it gets overturned at some point.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I’m very surprised by this. He wasn’t part of the formation laps. Surely that would mean back of the grid at the very least?

I wouldn’t be surprised if it gets overturned at some point.
    He'd be doing a pit lane start if/when the race starts

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Radio comms between McLaren and Masi indicated that each delayed start took a lap off the race total? Understanding was 39 laps if they ever start. I’ve never heard of delayed starts counting as a race lap before. After all, they haven’t actually done anything? A formation lap costs fuel. Doing nothing at all doesn’t.

altid on
  • Options
    Radio comms between McLaren and Masi indicated that each delayed start took a lap off the race total? Understanding was 39 laps if they ever start. I’ve never heard of delayed starts counting as a race lap before. After all, they haven’t actually done anything? A formation lap costs fuel. Doing nothing at all doesn’t.
    Crofty just noted that this would put Perez a lap down, then, if he starts.

This discussion has been closed.