Options

[chat]itude

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Apparently Washington Post has added a correction to that article

The one spice that the guy thought all Indian food contained was apparently "curry"

japan on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    instead of mounting your gun behind the propellers,

attach guns to the ends of the propellers

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    My Grandpa was told to stay home and grow food during WWII

my grandpa was busy being a chemist that worked with wool in some capacity

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    My granddad was machine gunner in the Marines in the Pacific.

Volunteered for it.

Was a mechanic in Korea but that was after they called him up because they found out he was a mechanic as a civilian. Yet it was Korea he went MIA/caught behind enemy lines 2-3 times not WW2 being on the front. Including Iwo Jima.

Since we're family, we got to see the cache of stuff that was on the ship following WWII, including some maps.

They're great. The officer's/ship's map of iwo jima is like this:
    battle-archives-map-iwo-jima-assault-plan-battle-map-13978069074013_700x.jpg?v=1611866779

With markers for where likely fortifications are and X over the places that were going to be shelled, along with timetables, and a ton of other information not on the map above about specific landing boats, etc.

And then the other maps, for the soldiers on the ground, are basically:
    i2fnwld9zrhx.png

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

Instead of propellers, just use guns as propulsion

Nobody dare follow you

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

Stick to pistols, bricks, and lawn darts

Fake edit: turns out Ranken Darts were actually explosive - we weren't just throwing darts at zeppelins and hoping they'd deflate like comedy balloons

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    japan wrote: »
    Apparently Washington Post has added a correction to that article

The one spice that the guy thought all Indian food contained was apparently "curry"

that is somehow even worse

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    airplanes shooting off their own propellers

there HAS to be a better way

The people who figured how how to get the bullets to not shoot the propellers was a fucking genius

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i like that just giving the pilots rifles to shoot at each other with was a solution that was attempted

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Status report. So far I've seen:

A truck with a large "save a child, kill a pedophile" sticker complete with silhouette of someone being shot execution style

This car

HqEWwG1.jpg

And overheard, while getting gas, a conversation on speakerphone at full volume about how the person on the phone has a warrant out for their arrest but they aren't going to turn themselves in, while the person with the phone expressed surprised that the person who ratted out the person on the phone to the police wasn't the person they suspected, and the person on the phone concurred saying they thought it would have been someone else, so now they have to get the person who ratted them out.

I've been here one day.

Georgia is amazing.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Is there a reason that the propellers weren't just, like, mounted on the wings and belt fed or something?

That seems so much simpler

I guess you run into parallax problems, but seriously

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I would like my work day to be over so I can jump back into Outer Wilds, I think I'm getting close to the end game.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Is there a reason that the propellers weren't just, like, mounted on the wings and belt fed or something?

I meant guns

But really having wing propellers and finding out how to belt feed them is another option if they keep getting blown up

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    WTF is up with 2FA number texts and is anyone else thinking about it? I have these things I note:

1. Often the same website/app/program will use different phone numbers they text from and obviously different numbers companies.
    2. Previous point is highlighted by totally unrelated companies using the same phone number and formatting in their 2FA texts from time to time. Like I click on a new text to log in to Adobe and the previous text in that chain is from April when I logged into Blizzard. For example.
    3. I just got a text that said YOURS in a line above the numbers. How do you even do bold text in a SMS? God knows.
    4. My favorite of these 2FA text things says "process the numbers" and without a space between that and the actual numbers. So for example it'll say "1234567process the numbers". It's been like that for months. So you're saying that Adobe and Epic and all of these billion dollar companies A) Use a company that wouldn't put "%20" or whatever before their message string B) Use a company that hasn't removed an obvious garbage string append in at least half a year?

How do I start a 2FA number company? There's obviously space in the sector for... literally anyone I imagine.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

I meant guns

But really having wing propellers and finding out how to belt feed them is another option if they keep getting blown up

I'm pretty sure guns couldn't go on the wings till later because of power to weight ratio and building materials of the planes at the time.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options

Didn't you see that graphic with all the wings shot up? Terrible place for propellers

• Options
    i see that man thinks he's free yet is wearing his seatbelt

curious

• Options

I meant guns

oh

i imagine having to deal with gun jams would be way more difficult to fix if it was on the wings

• Options

I meant guns

My first thought regarding guns on the wings is that they'd fuck up the manoeuvrability

Also getting the angles right to shoot what's in front of the plane and then having a narrow window of distance from the other plane

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

I meant guns

I'm pretty sure guns couldn't go on the wings till later because of power to weight ratio and building materials of the planes at the time.

One volley and your fuselage is going forward without your wings

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021

A truck with a large "save a child, kill a pedophile" sticker complete with silhouette of someone being shot execution style

This car

HqEWwG1.jpg

And overheard, while getting gas, a conversation on speakerphone at full volume about how the person on the phone has a warrant out for their arrest but they aren't going to turn themselves in, while the person with the phone expressed surprised that the person who ratted out the person on the phone to the police wasn't the person they suspected, and the person on the phone concurred saying they thought it would have been someone else, so now they have to get the person who ratted them out.

I've been here one day.

Georgia is amazing.

god bless

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Convergence was a huge issue and is modeled in War Thunder nicely

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

This car

HqEWwG1.jpg

I've been here one day.

Georgia is amazing.

in a future where crime is legal and cops are criminals

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Considering the kind of person that doesn't trust vaccines but nevertheless will consume something they themselves describe as "horse paste"

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Considering the kind of person that doesn't trust vaccines but nevertheless will consume something they themselves describe as "horse paste"

It's not even made from real horse.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options

That's because the horse doctors aren't in on the mind controlling conspiracy, maaannn

*sips bong*

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    You'd have a single larger cannon center-mounted with the barrel running through the engine so that you've got a nice throughline to engage a ground target

For wing mounted guns, they'd set it so that the convergant point was somewhere between 300 and 1000 meters out, with the idea being that you essentially have a shotgun effect at that range, knowing that everything before it is going to be on that intercepting angle and everything past is going to be deflecting

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

When I got called for military service my parents sent them a copy of my medical journal and they were all "oh, sorry to bother".

I didn't find out until years later when I wondered where all my friends had gone for a year.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

This car

HqEWwG1.jpg

I've been here one day.

Georgia is amazing.

future?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    a car just drove past playing Welcome To The Internet and it was weird hearing "would you like to see the news or any famous women's feet" doppler past me

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I didn't know what bocce is, but having looked it up it seems to allow throwing, which feels like a pretty significant difference

Fascinating, since I've never heard of lawn bowling.

Of course my grandfather is Italian and despite not speaking it (though his parents didn't really speak English???) he identifies as it enough that we did things like Bocce relatively frequently. Though I didn't know you could throw the ball >.>
    Echo wrote: »

Are you ready, chess grandmaster, to play my AI, which I trained by punishing it when it lost pieces? Ready, set, GO

*AI furiously mashes the forfeit button*

Incidentally this is the correct way to survive a war

My grandpa joined the Navy during WWII and everyone since then has been "thank you for your service hero," and he is always like "actually I joined the Navy because I didn't want to get shot at and then picked a battleship because it was the least likely thing to sink, so brave, such hero, wow."

I just finished reading an autobiography of a journalist and comic who volunteered during WW2 as soon as he was old enough because you got to pick your role rather than getting called up and not having a choice

He was hoping for the Signal Corps because he knew Morse Code and shorthand, but all of the non-combat roles were taken so he chose the Armoured Corps based on his dad's experiences as an infantryman

His last day of training was 8 May 1945

Yeah, my grandpa volunteered because his choices were basically: volunteer and spend the entire time on a boat where no one's shooting at you specifically and the boat is, on the whole, likely to make it out alive, or get drafted into the army and get murdered in some ditch in France.

My grandfather volunteered specifically to join the 101st Airborne, because they were supposed to be "the best" and he figured it was better than being forced to be there with some guy who didn't want to be.

Probably would have been smarter to join the navy or something, but he jumped out if the plane and landed on a tank trap anyway, breaking his hip socket straight through and getting him sent home immediately.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    They've got a simulation mode and then an arcade mode

Playing arcade and walking shells from a huge 37mm or 45mm center mount cannon into the engine or tail of a bomber is deeply satisfying

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Oh and my other grandpa worked for the phone company which I guess got him out of the draft because he was considered to be working on critical infrastructure or something

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

This car

HqEWwG1.jpg

I've been here one day.

Georgia is amazing.

i'd key dat no doubt

• Options
    I got three quotes for ceiling and trim painting in an 1800 soft house:

1800, 2800, 5000

?

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

guns are heavy

it's also nice to be able to aim

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I like the 11.4km range on the secondaries on my Pommern.

Problem is I get blown to shit if I try to push up to that range at the start of the game.

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

guns are heavy

it's also nice to be able to aim

A series of ropes and pulleys to turn the guns left and right

It's just one more thing for the pilot to think about - might distract them from the thought that they're flying about in the middle of a war in a tent with wings

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

Basically the same. My grandpa was in his mid-30's and had terrible joints from rheumatoid arthritis as a kid so I he worked in one of the bomber plants. My other grandpa was like...12?

Also I love seeing some of the mechanical engineering solutions for WW1 and WW2 problems. WW2 fire control computers are especially amazing.

And pusher props seem like a much easier solution than either gears or belts. But what do I know, the planes were freaking balsa and highly flammible cloth.

This discussion has been closed.