As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel TV] A Hawkeye and a Black Widow walk into a bar OPEN SPOILERS

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    So I started watching that old Avengers cartoon on Disney+ (Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes). It started out really cheesy but after a few episodes it got really good. It was kind of fascinating to watch since I guess it follows comic lore more closely, but it was made in 2010 so I feel like it was really pulling in MCU Iron Man and to some extent 2008 Hulk, but nothing else was really out yet at the time.

The Avengers have Antman and the Wasp, but it's Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne. Hawkeye actually seems not worthless in this series (albeit in a goofy purple costume). It's interesting to see them introduce a lot of storylines and characters I recognize from the MCU but they're a bit different. Like Ultron was designed by Hank Pym (is that the original comic lore? I feel like Tony makes so much more sense) and he eventually makes The Vision, who starts out bad but eventually just kinda sorta decides to be good instead. Also Captain Marvel is voiced by Jennifer Hale and it's hard not to hear Commander Shepard :P They did a lot of random characters too like Iron Fist and Luke Cage and the Guardians of the Galaxy (who do not have Gamora or Drax but have someone named Quasar and Adam Warlock.. Also Rocket has an Australian accent and I hate it.. Haha). At one point someone stole the Antman suit and I was like, hey look, Scott Lang :P

Also so many characters I didn't realize were actually like a real thing and not just invented for the MCU, like Jimmy Woo and The Executioner (I don't know why I didn't pick up that one.. But he looks exactly like he does in Thor Ragnarok :P)

Actually a bit disappointed they didn't use this Tony Stark voice actor for What If? because he sounds a LOT like RDJ. Probably more than the other guy.

Also Hank Pym becomes Yellow jacket but is still kind of sort of good? (but also sort of crazy) It was weird. Reminded me of the third episode of What If :P I need to see if this next Avengers show is a continuation or if the show just kinda ends on a bunch of unresolved storylines cuz they had some stuff setup like Surtr that never really gets a conclusion. Oh, and for some reason SHIELD were like super assholes in this show.

Side note, I want this character in the MCU :3. She was awesome:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abigail_Brand

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Yeah, Pym originally made Ultron in the comics. The decision to make Hank Pym old is interesting for the MCU, but he did a whole lot more as a founding member avenger. The What If ? Episode with Pym becoming Yellowjacket is also a throwback to the comics, Pym had many aliases and went rogue a few times.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Yeah, Pym originally made Ultron in the comics. The decision to make Hank Pym old is interesting for the MCU, but he did a whole lot more as a founding member avenger. The What If ? Episode with Pym becoming Yellowjacket is also a throwback to the comics, Pym had many aliases and went rogue a few times.

Yeah I had a feeling that was the case but I don't know much about the comics. Honestly I kind of like how the MCU handled Ultron... It just seems like Tony would be the one more likely to make weaponized robots.

It was kind of interesting to see more characters than the MCU has tackled though. I wonder if we're gonna see Red Hulk soon (maybe in She Hulk?). And wow did they make The Enchantress a super major villain in the show (still wonder if they'll turn Sylvie into her somehow). Interesting to see Kang too, though he kinda didn't do much. I'd actually love to see them bring MODOK to the MCU too.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    That last episode was straight out of Steins;Gate. Well, it's probably a common time travel thing, but it felt a LOT like Steins;Gate.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Yeah, because that worked out for Black Widow :lol:

Strange feels real bad about that, but it was the only way to make they got the real threat to Earth: Stark.

All those millions of other timelines still saw them winning against Thanos, but then two years later Stark comes up with his next-brilliant-est idea and builds a gem-powered Ultron heximony (because this way they can have a balanced discussion, guys!), which instantly taps into Stark's space-tech ultra-drone army, vaporizes the surface of the Earth, and then flies out into space to spread "peace".

I saw some theories about that. That the assembled infinity gems were a bigger threat than thanos. So he needed a future where the infinity stones were destroyed/scattered and all of the people were unsnapped.

That’s always been my assertion.

Strange saw many ways to defeat Thanos, but Thanos wasn’t the true greater scope threat, it was the stones.

Who else but Thanos would or could destroy them? He was an absolute zealot, determined and confident in his own righteousness. I’ve often contrasted Thanos with the Operative from Serenity; both characters had the highest of faiths in their cause and would be more than willing to commit the worst of atrocities if it led to a better future. Any other character would either want continued use of the stones for some goal, wouldn’t want another or be willing to sacrifice themselves, or would be in conflict with the first two.

I like to imagine what would have happened if they defeated Thanos on Titan: Quill, Nebula and the other Guardians would have wanted to bring back loved ones (Gamora, Drax’s family, etc), Strange would have wanted to protect them from abuse, and Stark would want to use the stones to protect Earth/the universe, and that would bring them in conflict with each other and BAM! you start all over again with the stone problem.

Tony and Thanos actually had a lot in common, so does Strange.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    So I started watching that old Avengers cartoon on Disney+ (Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes). It started out really cheesy but after a few episodes it got really good. It was kind of fascinating to watch since I guess it follows comic lore more closely, but it was made in 2010 so I feel like it was really pulling in MCU Iron Man and to some extent 2008 Hulk, but nothing else was really out yet at the time.

The Avengers have Antman and the Wasp, but it's Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne. Hawkeye actually seems not worthless in this series (albeit in a goofy purple costume). It's interesting to see them introduce a lot of storylines and characters I recognize from the MCU but they're a bit different. Like Ultron was designed by Hank Pym (is that the original comic lore? I feel like Tony makes so much more sense) and he eventually makes The Vision, who starts out bad but eventually just kinda sorta decides to be good instead. Also Captain Marvel is voiced by Jennifer Hale and it's hard not to hear Commander Shepard :P They did a lot of random characters too like Iron Fist and Luke Cage and the Guardians of the Galaxy (who do not have Gamora or Drax but have someone named Quasar and Adam Warlock.. Also Rocket has an Australian accent and I hate it.. Haha). At one point someone stole the Antman suit and I was like, hey look, Scott Lang :P

Also so many characters I didn't realize were actually like a real thing and not just invented for the MCU, like Jimmy Woo and The Executioner (I don't know why I didn't pick up that one.. But he looks exactly like he does in Thor Ragnarok :P)

Actually a bit disappointed they didn't use this Tony Stark voice actor for What If? because he sounds a LOT like RDJ. Probably more than the other guy.

Also Hank Pym becomes Yellow jacket but is still kind of sort of good? (but also sort of crazy) It was weird. Reminded me of the third episode of What If :P I need to see if this next Avengers show is a continuation or if the show just kinda ends on a bunch of unresolved storylines cuz they had some stuff setup like Surtr that never really gets a conclusion. Oh, and for some reason SHIELD were like super assholes in this show.

Side note, I want this character in the MCU :3. She was awesome:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abigail_Brand

Yeah EMH is like a speedw run through like 60 years of the greatest Avengers stories from the comics

It really sucks that it was canned for the other Avengers show and that Spectacular Spider-man was similarly canned around the same time for the Ultimate Spider-man cartoon

In fact spec Spidey was going to cross over into EMH in the Along Came a Spider Episode, but they re-recorded all of Josh Kearon’s lines with Drake Bell to tie in to Ultimate Spidey which had just launched

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Pym is portrayed at various levels of unbalanced in 616, and is generally kind of a dick.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    EMH could have been the start of an Marvel Animated Universe but master of turning things to crap, Jeff Loeb, took over the TV division around that time, killed EMH and replaced it with Avengers Assemble which felt like a cheap imitation. Literally cheap in some places; seriously, look at this attempt to replicate the "group shot" scene from the film.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNm9JnjBIus

EMH hewed pretty close to the comics, though it streamlined and reconcepted where needed. Stuff like the Guardians line-up is right out of the premier comic (for that team) by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning. Even Rocket's voice (cockney british, not austrailan) is a reference to his first appearance in Marvel Preview (which itself a reference to the fact he was created based on the Beatles song 'Rocky Raccoon') and shows up in games like Marvel vs Capcom 3, Lego Marvel and Marvel Heroes (RIP)

It's interesting that you hold the MCU version of Ultron's creation as superior, as in the comics Pym creating Ultron is like his most famous action next to backhanding his wife that one time.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    He also created the robot in order to beat it to look cool to the Avengers.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Looks like the next episode of What If is the zombie one? Cool cool cool

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm a little shocked zombies continue to be such a big thing a decade-plus later.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I'm a little shocked zombies continue to be such a big thing a decade-plus later.

To be fair it was a huge thing in the what if comic universe. I think what if zombies might have more comics than other what ifs.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I'm praying we get my favorite What If as an episode.

6vivsx1jek1k.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    There's a whole Marvel Zombie universe that actively tries to breach other universes to continue the feast.

• Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    That's definitely a soul stone at the end, right?

I wouldn't be surprised if the unification of the stones was a Thing in this series, especially considering it looked like Dr. Strange ate that tentacle monster that Peggy was fighting.

So those two are linked, I thiiiink Nick Fury and Captain America are gonna be linked.

Hm.

Oh. Okay, everyone comes together to fight Ego, I bet. They assemble the stones, including the purple Dr. Strange, T'challa and the Guardians/Thanos are gonna play into that, Nick Fury and Captain Marvel and Peggy are there too, I bet.

I think they take place in similar realities to where we're gonna get an Endgame style timeline crossover. They've kept the characters separate enough at this point that I think most of them are in the same reality since the characters wouldn't be interacting yet.

ALSO THEY WHIFFED HARD on not having Loki do the boot/ant line during that episode.

I had the same thought regarding soul stone.

• Options
    I know I'm super late, since I watched episode 4 first, but is that supposed to be Shuma Gorath in Captain Carter?
    (Great episode, too.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »

6vivsx1jek1k.png

The creators have said that every story will use the MCU as at least a jumping-off point, so not this season unfortunately.

• Options

6vivsx1jek1k.png

The creators have said that every story will use the MCU as at least a jumping-off point, so not this season unfortunately.

Yeah, and I doubt we're getting Black Cat anytime soon, this Spidey can barely handle MJ.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Considering how similar Black Cat is to Catwoman, I wouldn't be surprised if MCU avoids using her ever. I know there is history to explain how Black Cat isn't necessarily a ripoff, but there is no getting around she's a sexy burglar anti-hero love interest to a vigilante hero with "cat" in her name.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    When is the last time Catwoman showed up in a film? 2011's Dark Knight Rises?

Guess she's going to be in the upcoming reboot?

• Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    Played by Zoe Kravitz

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular

6vivsx1jek1k.png

Yeah, and I doubt we're getting Black Cat anytime soon, this Spidey can barely handle MJ.

MJ becomes the Black Cat, robs capitalists to bring down the patriarchy. Done.

• Options
    Really enjoyed episode 2, though Thanos The Ravager was an unexpected delight.

Best of all, it's random.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Considering how similar Black Cat is to Catwoman, I wouldn't be surprised if MCU avoids using her ever. I know there is history to explain how Black Cat isn't necessarily a ripoff, but there is no getting around she's a sexy burglar anti-hero love interest to a vigilante hero with "cat" in her name.

If DC hasn’t done anything about it for the last half century, why would they now?

• Options
    When is the last time Catwoman showed up in a film? 2011's Dark Knight Rises?

Guess she's going to be in the upcoming reboot?

Technically the last time she showed up on film was 1992.

• Options

I imagine they avoid using her because: 1) Her and Parker's main characteristic is her acting super sexual to throw Spider-Man off his game, which won't go down well, 2) for him to be interested in her he'd have to be cheating or tempted to cheat on MJ which won't go down well, 3) He actually cheats with her, which won't go down well.

It works in comics because there are huge patches where MJ isn't involved with Peter and Peter can be more of a dick and tempted even if he doesn't follow through.

Of course they could remove all that from the character, but then you just have a cat burglar with probability altering powers. Not quite the world-ending adversary they go for.

• Options
    edited September 2021

I imagine they avoid using her because: 1) Her and Parker's main characteristic is her acting super sexual to throw Spider-Man off his game, which won't go down well, 2) for him to be interested in her he'd have to be cheating or tempted to cheat on MJ which won't go down well, 3) He actually cheats with her, which won't go down well.

It works in comics because there are huge patches where MJ isn't involved with Peter and Peter can be more of a dick and tempted even if he doesn't follow through.

Of course they could remove all that from the character, but then you just have a cat burglar with probability altering powers. Not quite the world-ending adversary they go for.

I've honestly never understood why Parker has so many friggin' girlfriends in the comics. I started rewatching the 90s cartoon last night and even there he's juggling two women (although some of that seems to be weird continuity errors? Or Disney+ putting shit out of order again). It's been forever since I watched that series but I think the other girl actually is Black Cat.. also wow MJ is weird in that cartoon...

Side note, I started trying to watch the old 90's Iron Man first and I had to turn it off because the first episode was so cringe bad. Maybe it gets better later but dang was it nowhere near the quality of X-men and Spider-man. Also this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT5MIg6H7G8
    (why did that need to be 3d animated??? At least Spider-man has the courtesy to limit it to scenery where the terrible-ness of 90s CGI doesn't stand out so bad)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

I've honestly never understood why Parker has so many friggin' girlfriends in the comics. I started rewatching the 90s cartoon last night and even there he's juggling two women (although some of that seems to be weird continuity errors? Or Disney+ putting shit out of order again). It's been forever since I watched that series but I think the other girl actually is Black Cat.. also wow MJ is weird in that cartoon...

Side note, I started trying to watch the old 90's Iron Man first and I had to turn it off because the first episode was so cringe bad. Maybe it gets better later but dang was it nowhere near the quality of X-men and Spider-man. Also this:
    (why did that need to be 3d animated??? At least Spider-man has the courtesy to limit it to scenery where the terrible-ness of 90s CGI doesn't stand out so bad)

Hahaha holy hell was that bad.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited September 2021

Also spiderman, is huge with an extended comic history. And often history that has been done, followed by being undone, Spiderman and various others dying, coming back from the dead, dying again. Coming back as clones then their real version comes in and replaces their clones... or doesn't.

It's a lot of stuff, for movies and such I think they have been taking a clear timeline, and haven't been experimental. This new Spiderman with potentially multiple versions of Spiderman is potentially the most comic book true spiderman movie, because that shit was always happening to him. But with such an extensive history, there is a lot of time to execute some of the more different aspects of the Spiderman universe.

zepherin on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »

If DC hasn’t done anything about it for the last half century, why would they now?

Did I miss the movies featuring Black Cat the last half century?

Also, I'm not saying DC would stop them I am saying MCU might avoid it because a bunch of people that don't read the comics might think she's a ripoff of Catwoman. I don't think anyone cares if Spider-Man dates other people. MJ wasn't even his object of affection in Homecoming.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    "And then Iron Man turns around--"
    "Rotates smoothly on his axis, got it."
    "Turns around."
    "Rotates. Smoothly."

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options

I was like "What's the problem, I don't see the big de-
    oh good lord."

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

Iron Man was always the lesser show because his villains were just crappy. There was a knight and a tornado guy I think? It was pretty lame.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    For as long as this Spider-Man remains a high school student, a Black Cat romance would be... a bit problematic.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Hahaha holy hell was that bad.

The inexplicable awful CG in the middle is terrible, sure. But what the hell is going on with the suitcase suit? It unfolds silver, then is red and yellow after a cut away, and has to magically project an under-suit skin thing but apparently only onto his upper body? It's like they hired 4 different animators to simultaneously create segments of the suit-up sequence without telling any of them what the other people were doing.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    There's a shocking amount of mediocre to bad Marvel animated shows out there. Like, they kept cranking them out after the 90s X-Men and Spidey were hits, but no one remembers most of them. Like, there was an Avengers set 20 years in the future for no other reason to ape Batman Beyond.

For the most part that seems to be the case now. Does anyone remember a few years ago there was a thing where a bunch of Hulkified characters hung around and documented their adventures like a reality show, complete with looking into the camera?

I rewatched Spectacular Spider-Man (which remains great) and wanted to dive into another Spidey show, but there's seemingly like 47 of them that came after and approximately zero of them got any buzz in animation circles.

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    For as long as this Spider-Man remains a high school student, a Black Cat romance would be... a bit problematic.

Tom Holland is already 25. We're so used to Dawson casting that we can skate by, but at some point pretty quick here he should be in college, where things like Black Cat work out quite a bit better.

• Options
    For the most part that seems to be the case now. Does anyone remember a few years ago there was a thing where a bunch of Hulkified characters hung around and documented their adventures like a reality show, complete with looking into the camera?

Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    The inexplicable awful CG in the middle is terrible, sure. But what the hell is going on with the suitcase suit? It unfolds silver, then is red and yellow after a cut away, and has to magically project an under-suit skin thing but apparently only onto his upper body? It's like they hired 4 different animators to simultaneously create segments of the suit-up sequence without telling any of them what the other people were doing.

Yeah it was really weird to me too, on top of in general just hating the look of that era Iron Man suit (the eye and mouth slits are just so bad.. he's literally making a -_- face). The undersuit thing especially, it's just like 100% magically applied. It's all so weird. SOME of it I can excuse as old animation being bad but I kinda feel like this show didn't have the animation budget of the other 90s Marvel cartoons... (either that or they blew it all on that CGI sequence.. haha)
    Iron Man was always the lesser show because his villains were just crappy. There was a knight and a tornado guy I think? It was pretty lame.

Yeah, the villains in the opening episode were really turning me off too. There was some hypnotist lady who was wearing literally a rainbow leotard. And for some reason The Mandarin was some kind green pointy-ear alien or something. That knight was also awful looking - he was like a white and blue gargoyle man on a horse... it was so goofy.

At least they had MODOK tho? *shrug* At some point I'm gonna have to sit through that series I think, just to torture myself.. haha

Edit: Random aside but I feel like both X-men and Spider-man spent episodes introducing the major villains one-by-one whereas Iron Man literally crams like 5 of them into the first episode out of nowhere as if you should already know who everyone is. I guess they consider the intro that just spends the entire time naming off every character good enough? lol

I also still don't know who that black guy hanging around Tony is supposed to be. At first I was like, oh, that's gotta be Rhodey! But no, it's someone else.. (I think, maybe I misheard the name? It seems like Rhodey is in the show...)

Also I found this which is funny:
    https://www.cbr.com/iron-man-animated-series-90s-no-sense/
    (I love that their first thing listed is mocking the CGI suit up scene)

Edit:

Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.

I feel like I remember seeing this, but it might have been a different show. It was like, Hulk on a spaceship and I think She-Hulk was also there.

Warlock82 on
This discussion has been closed.