As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Australian & NZ Politics: Double Dipping in Luxonry

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    If that holds, fucken lol.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Apparently it did hold. Fucken lol.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I mean to play devil's advocate, this actually does still represent a swing against Labor... its just that Labor started well ahead and its also a swing against the Liberals at the same time. It looks like we're seeing a similar result to the generals where the Greens and Independents are going to be the real winners tonight, which is fantastic news.

ati3hxlnqi9k.png

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Nevermind, think I misunderstood the National Party.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Haha the LNP are livid.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Haha the LNP are livid.

Yeah, saw dipshit Deputy LNP Leader Southwick bleating about how Daniel Andrews is unpopular, and the worst, and has divided the state.

Umm... he just kicked your ass, in probably the best environment you had (any goodwill from Covid gone, interest rates/inflation/petrol on the rise), and the best you could do was a very marginal increase in two party preferred? Yeah, fuck off.

This guy summed it up best, I think.
    Outgoing Labor MP Martin Pakula, who was among a number of senior MPs who retired this election, had his own words to share about the Liberals criticism of Andrews.
    “Framing an entire election campaign around the theory (hope?) that everyone hates Dan as much as you hate Dan was always a Hail Mary strategy,” he tweeted.
    “It’s hard to hear the community clearly when you spend all your time in an echo chamber.”

To be clear, I'm not a big fan of Andrews. I voted for him (I'm in his district), but that's more because the LNP have shown fucking nothing almost the entirety of my life, that I feel will benefit me or the community I live in. And while we don't have the same level of fashi-authoritarian shit we see in the US, you can see the beginnings of it, and no. You don't want to completely distance yourself from that shit, you can fuck right off in asking for my vote.

EDIT - Only thing I missed about voting by mail, is that I miss out on my democracy sausage. Got a Woolworths delivery coming in the next couple hours, gonna have me some democracy sausages though.

MorganV on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I feel shocked that a right wing media narrative in Australia about the failure of a labor politician was false. I would never have guessed that so many newspapers, all owned by the same right wing hack, wouldn't have correctly been able to read the electorate in Australia.

Shocked!

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I feel shocked that a right wing media narrative in Australia about the failure of a labor politician was false. I would never have guessed that so many newspapers, all owned by the same right wing hack, wouldn't have correctly been able to read the electorate in Australia.

Shocked!

I had hoped it was all bullshit, but I've also learned not to underestimate the stupidity of my fellow Australians.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    So I have returned from a 2 week trip to NZ. My first real international travel that wasn't the Caribbean. One week in Auckland and one in Wellington. Talking to Kiwis about how they feel about their government was interesting. A lot of mixed pride over how covid was handled and yet how much they hated the lockdowns.

Unfortunately I also found out that I have next to no chance of immigrating there. I didn't realize how much age played a part as a barrier.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    dang, that's a shame. I take it your profession is not on the skills shortage list?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I am saying happy summer haha to clear a draft.

But also

Taupo is rumbling and I'm anxious

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Tef wrote: »
    dang, that's a shame. I take it your profession is not on the skills shortage list?

I'm pretty sure even if it is, after 56(?) it's not considered at all, and it's weighted prior to that?
    Volcanic rumbling is just a thing here. Unfortunately.

Edit: Actual information on monitoring:
    https://www.geonet.org.nz/mbl/news/PXqUUYskVBMS0QeaGYmH2

Antoshka on
    n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »

I'm pretty sure even if it is, after 56(?) it's not considered at all, and it's weighted prior to that?

Yep, that's Taupo being Taupo. Honestly Mt, Ruapehu could go off over night and it'd be seriously inconvenient for a while and make food costs + shipping worse, but we'd be fine. And Ruapehu is way more likely to throw a tantrum than the Taupo caldera.

The very nature of NZ means it's very geologically active. But it being grumbly is just life. Hell, haven't even had a good wobble down here for a while

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Oh I know it's normal. Just

Mauna Loa erupting for her first time in my lifetime had me on edge last night.

I get antsy when the ring of fire devices to grumble

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Welp, this fucking sucks.

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/courts-law/sexual-assault-charge-against-bruce-lehrmann-expected-to-be-dropped/news-story/b1f0db58baaf00feace7be64a6b8245d
    "Sexual assault charge against Bruce Lehrmann expected to be dropped"
    New medical evidence detailing the impact of a second trial on Brittany Higgins’ mental health is expected to result in the charge being dropped and the trial not proceeding.

The bombshell decision follows new psychiatric advice that a planned retrial of the rape allegations posed an unacceptable risk to Ms Higgins’ mental health.

While I'm glad that her mental health is at the forefront, I'm not sure how letting this end without resolution will help her move on.

Also sets a seriously fucked up precedent. If you can have your victim so damaged that a court case would be considered to do more damage than not charging you, you get to skate.

• Options

Yep, that's Taupo being Taupo. Honestly Mt, Ruapehu could go off over night and it'd be seriously inconvenient for a while and make food costs + shipping worse, but we'd be fine. And Ruapehu is way more likely to throw a tantrum than the Taupo caldera.

The very nature of NZ means it's very geologically active. But it being grumbly is just life. Hell, haven't even had a good wobble down here for a while

Oddly enough, my main memory of the last time Ruapehu erupted was of collecting the ashfall into garbage bags with my grandfather, so we could use it as fertilizer in his vegetable garden. And then having to repaint their house. Weird how its a positive memory.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

My job (IT Support) is actually one of the jobs that puts you a tier up on the wanted list. This is one reason I was originally hopeful. Apparently no one wants to do tech support in NZ. But being over 45 pretty much killed the forward momentum. Both my feyonce and I are over 45 and the resources we worked with on the possibility said there just wasn't much of a chance. It wasn't the only thing of course. A 60 year old 2 bedroom with a tin roof in Auckland costing 1.2 Million was a bit of a harsh reality as well. I'd heard housing was high, but holy cow.

It's just funny how people say "Oh just leave if you don't like your country" but even with money and a good career, you may not be able to go where you'd very much like to.

• Options
    cptrugged wrote: »

My job (IT Support) is actually one of the jobs that puts you a tier up on the wanted list. This is one reason I was originally hopeful. Apparently no one wants to do tech support in NZ. But being over 45 pretty much killed the forward momentum. Both my feyonce and I are over 45 and the resources we worked with on the possibility said there just wasn't much of a chance. It wasn't the only thing of course. A 60 year old 2 bedroom with a tin roof in Auckland costing 1.2 Million was a bit of a harsh reality as well. I'd heard housing was high, but holy cow.

It's just funny how people say "Oh just leave if you don't like your country" but even with money and a good career, you may not be able to go where you'd very much like to.

Oh, yeah, coming from somewhere relatively sane, the housing situation probably really hits hard.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    We're in the middle of another Covid surge in Aus.
    So I guess it's time for the chief medical officer to announce no more PCR testing in the new year.
    We don't need the surveillance any more.

There are going to be GP-respiratory illness clinics in March that will presumably give the referrals for PCRs, but otherwise we (low-risk people) have to rely on the increasingly inaccurate RATs.

(Full release: https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/2022-12/national-covid-19-health-management-plan-for-2023.pdf )

discrider on
  • Options
    i'm just waiting for the funding for our RATs to stop and we go back to having to buy them.

which, tbh, would be better because then they might be available in someplace more than just 2 pharmacies near me, none of which are convenient in any way.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I'm still recovering from my last bought of COVID, so I'm hoping my immunity lasts through my Christmas travel and i can get vaxed soon, because it's been a horrific time - i had to go on anti virals, and I'm now on my second set of antibiotics, with additional steroids to try and help my body heal the damage it did to my sinuses.

Given my partner caught COVID Right fter a cruise ship docked in Wellington, I'm not well pleased with things currently

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    So, following on:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-12/pcr-testing-will-continue-without-referrals/101761358

- gov clarifying that PCR testing will be bulk billed
    - also that PCR testing will be available through the GP respiratory clinics 'without referral', which rather depends on how easy the clinics are to access compared to the current testing centres. And whether they'll provide PCR for everyone, or just RATs.

Still slated as moving away from surveillance whilst making everyone responsible for knowing when a surge is.

discrider on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I don’t know where else to post this but Jesus the shooting in Queensland what in the hell

• Options
    *reads news after searching for it*

Good grief. That sounds like a horrific mess.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

I did see a lot of people noting "oh yeah, that's meth country" which I didn't even know we had in Australia. But yes, also, what the fuck?

Bonus points: my brother's American girlfriend and her family are in Sydney right now, and headed up to Queensland next week on holiday.

• Options

I did see a lot of people noting "oh yeah, that's meth country" which I didn't even know we had in Australia. But yes, also, what the fuck?

Where I used to live in Western Sydney a Meth Lab exploded in the culdesac around from where my house was. The explosion was so loud it cracked windows and terrified my cat.

There are places like the shadowlands from the lion king. We just don't go there anymore.

• Options

Where I used to live in Western Sydney a Meth Lab exploded in the culdesac around from where my house was. The explosion was so loud it cracked windows and terrified my cat.

There are places like the shadowlands from the lion king. We just don't go there anymore.

My parents lived in this little country town. Super friendly, neighborly, everyone knew everyone.

They started noticing weird shit with their neighbors. They were always in their back shed at all hours of the morning. They had completely random people visit at all hours. One morning, some guy was spaced out, in their front yard, staring into their bedroom. The people left with White Wings Pavlova Eggs.

They called me one day and said 'we think our neighbors are drug dealers'. I told them not only dealers, but probably cooking meth in the back shed.

They moved shortly afterwards.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    .there is a lot of small town/outer suburbs urban Australia which qualifies as meth country, we got no shortage of that kind of zone.

• Options
    I went to work once and the train station was directly opposite the methadone clinic. I heard people shouting and causing a scene, to observe two men fighting right outside viciously. One fellow got the better of the other and started slapping that guys head against the gutter, not quite American History X style but close. Blood and what I think were bone fragments everywhere. As I started to contemplate calling the police, the little bell rang and they both immediately got up, completely ignored one another and went into the clinic straight away. Fight was over, nobody cared who was slamming whose head into the curb of the gutter anymore and so forth - it was meth time.

I will never forget the image of that guy just getting up, wiping blood from his eyes and just charging in for his treatment. Completely ignoring the fellow he was in mortal combat with entirely.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Just saw an article that the guy who killed the police officers and the bystander was a conspiracy theorist who thought Port Arthur was a false flag operation.

Ugh.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Cardinal Pell has taken up his pew in hell.

Good riddance.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Cardinal Pell has taken up his pew in hell.

Good riddance.

I'm sure he'll be looking up at us.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    He touched many people in his lifetime.

• Options
    NSW Premier dressed as a Nazi at his 21st, and is now in damage control mode.

I quite liked Bob Carrs response.

• Options
    Re: thread title

Youse are getting summer?

uofzk4p1yikz.jpeg

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Re: thread title

Youse are getting summer?

uofzk4p1yikz.jpeg

Yep, it's Monsoon season, right?

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    He touched many people in his lifetime.

Gross.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Went looking for Summer up in the Bay of Plenty last couple weeks.

Rained every day. Came home.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Very much not getting summer.

But my fat butt really isn't complaining too much.

It can stay in the teens temp wise all it wants.

• Options
    So many crops destroyed this year. Shitloads of summer fruits, stone fruit (though I hear Otago missed the worst of it), peas, corn, beans, potatoes. Already high costs are gonna get worse this year, most probably.

bit.ly/2XQM1ke