As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics Thread] Government-running Cons accused of running cons in government

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Back to work in Québec! Today, Legault is introducing a new law that will ban anti-vaxxer protests near hospitals, covid testing and vaccination sites, schools, and daycares. They're hoping to have it adopted today, but to use the express-adoption process will require unanimous support by the National Assembly. Which shouldn't be hard since the Liberals, Québec Solidaire, and PQ are all in favour of it, so what could possibly go wrong...

Oh, one single CAQ MNA with delusions of grandeur quit the party because she wasn't given a cabinet position and became the sole Conservative MNA in Québec, the party that supports the anti-vaxxers and opposes all covid measures and which has been out in the streets protesting alongside Bernier's PPC. And their asshole leader has already made the asshole declaration that "protest rights have been abused by students and unions in the past so we're not against restrictions, but we will protect them for the persecuted minority of Québec".

This will not go well.

That won't go over well......

Persecuting minorities is Quebec's whole thing lately.

In case it wasn't clear, the "persecuted minority" the Conservatives are standing up for are the minority alt-right anti-vaxxers who like screaming at children on school playgrounds. I'm ok with "persecuting" them.

Oh, I Don't really care about what happens to those chuds.

Just very on-brand for QC

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    And that's Bernier getting tempbanned from Twitter until he stops siccing his followers on individual journalists. Such a classy, classy party, that one...

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    And that's Bernier getting tempbanned from Twitter until he stops siccing his followers on individual journalists. Such a classy, classy party, that one...

So the penalty for doxxing journalists and urging thousands of people to send them violent threats is a 12-hour temp ban. Good to know.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Hey, he just wants to know why no one will rid him of that turbulent priest journalist. Totally above board.

• Options
    The Rhino party, again, running another candidate in Bernier's riding also Called Maxime Bernier is top-notch trolling.

• Options
    The Rhino party, again, running another candidate in Bernier's riding also Called Maxime Bernier is top-notch trolling.

What do you mean, again? They didn't run one this last election.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I specifically went looking to see if they had repeated and was disappointed.

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Food mild take: pineapple on a pizza is good (especially with hot peppers), and toppings on poutine are fiiiiine but entirely unnecessary.

Food hot take: pickles on a pizza are secretly really good. (Just don't put too large slices, as they'll retain a lot of heat.)

My partner does pickles on pizza. Four cheese pizza with sliced dill pickles. She puts the pickles on after its cooked though.

It is in fact excellent.

It pains me to admit it but I tried the Boston Pizza Big Mac pizza which features quite a lot of chopped pickle and lettuce and it was good

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    My fav pizza place in town recently released their "Kind of a Big Dill" pizza, which is just loaded with dill pickles and bacon. Fucking incredible. They had a kitchen fire like 4 weeks after it released and they've been renovating since... I need my fix.

BouwsT on
    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    Charleswood-Assiniboia-St. James-Headingley is going to a judicial recount. 24 votes being the margin. Crazy.

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    El Mucho wrote: »
    Charleswood-Assiniboia-St. James-Headingley is going to a judicial recount. 24 votes being the margin. Crazy.

Super glad I voted LPC instead of NDP to give Doug the best chance I could.

Normally I would prefer to vote NDP but Eyolfson had better name recognition, so I figured cross my fingers and help push the low info voter candidate.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    El Mucho wrote: »

Super glad I voted LPC instead of NDP to give Doug the best chance I could.

Normally I would prefer to vote NDP but Eyolfson had better name recognition, so I figured cross my fingers and help push the low info voter candidate.

Yeah, I did the same.

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/maxime-bernier-rhino-party-beauce-1.5278902

• Options

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/maxime-bernier-rhino-party-beauce-1.5278902
    Posted: Sep 11, 2019

sig.gif
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

Yeah. This year.

Look at this joker, acting like they're from the future.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Forar wrote: »

Yeah. This year.

Look at this joker, acting like they're from the future.

Did I drink the wrong coffee this morning?

My bad I had a friend post something and I thought they did it again .

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    So there have been a bunch of news articles talking about how Trudeau's big new spending plan is going to rustle the economy's jimmies, but I can't seem to find much detail about how the spending plan is.. planned. Has he talked about it, and I've just missed it? Any talk of another CRB extension?

• Options
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    What the ever-loving fuck.

Who even ASKS that at a time like that? That is 100% not the time to be asking about an entirely optional and PERMANENT medical procedure!

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    If you're the kind of frothing bigot who likes the idea of compulsory sterilization for Those People but is upset that the provincial eugenics boards shut down in the eighties and nineties, that's exactly the time to ask about that. "See? She totally agreed to it!"

Since out-in-the-open provincial or state-level eugenics boards aren't an official thing anymore, sneaking a poorly worded question to someone in a second language during childbirth is the main way people still, in significant numbers, go about doing that sort of thing. It happens in other provinces, it's been happening a lot along the southern American border in recent years, the list goes on.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/street-party-halifax-covid-restrictions-police-dalhousie-1.6189860

Well, if I thought I was on the verge of running out of patience before. Seriously, I am fucking done. We could have been done with this in a couple of months if it weren't for people like these selfish dipshits. Every last one of these morons should at the very least face a steep fine.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    On a lighter note, I heard a joke today that I feel like folks here will enjoy;
    What's the difference between the PPC and a toilet?
    The toilet has a seat.

• Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    Also, the toilet isn't always full of shit.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    And the toilet isn't trying to light the house on fire and stoke the flames.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular

Wasn't there a story from last year of the same thing happening in Saskatchewan?

(Maybe a couple years ago - my grip on time has slipped.)

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Wasn't there a story from last year of the same thing happening in Saskatchewan?

(Maybe a couple years ago - my grip on time has slipped.)

There was a story about it but it was based around someone bring a lawsuit or demanding for a law doing something about the issue I think. It was in reaction to a report released on forced sterilization in the province afaik. It was like 2018-19.

The thing with a lot of these stories is that they tend to be very diffuse. From reading them it's usually not like 1 hospital sterilizing 50 women in one year, it's like 100 reports spread over 25 years by various different doctors in various different places. So they tend to hit the news at random times when someone pulls all the reports together into an article or a study is released or what not.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Paul is stepping down as Green party leader

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Paul is stepping down as Green party leader

I'm not sure it counts as "stepping down" when multiple MPs resigned in protest over you, your own party leadership is in court trying to kick you out, voters massively abandon your party, and you are a distant fourth place in your own riding. But good riddance to her.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Jesus H. Christ, I just watched Paul's resignation speech. What ridiculous nonsense. Apparently having the party launch a leadership review after the party's worst electoral performance in a long time is a personal attack against her. And she prides herself for breaking a glass ceiling - despite us having had a woman prime minister already (not to mention governor general and queen), several women provincial premiers, a black woman as major party leader and leader of the opposition right now in Québec, and the previous (very successful) leader of her own damn party being a woman. What a self-absorbed lunatic.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Jesus H. Christ, I just watched Paul's resignation speech. What ridiculous nonsense. Apparently having the party launch a leadership review after the party's worst electoral performance in a long time is a personal attack against her. And she prides herself for breaking a glass ceiling - despite us having had a woman prime minister already (not to mention governor general and queen), several women provincial premiers, a black woman as major party leader and leader of the opposition right now in Québec, and the previous (very successful) leader of her own damn party being a woman. What a self-absorbed lunatic.

The greens had the longest-serving woman leader and then elected another woman. If they are sexist they are pretty darn bad at it.

She's very high on her own supply and is pretty much a caricature of how the right see's the far left.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

The greens had the longest-serving woman leader and then elected another woman. If they are sexist they are pretty darn bad at it.

She's very high on her own supply and is pretty much a caricature of how the right see's the far left.

Heck, she’s a caricature of how the left sees the far left.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    It's rare that you see a party leader who's as bad at politics as she is. Even if there hadn't been an election, I doubt she would've held on as leader for very long.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    She's the first Black, female, Jewish leader of a federal party so yes that's a glass ceiling on several levels

It's fair to say that that likely contributed to her treatment within the party, yes, and I can't see how she could have succeeded in her riding without funding or party support, which was part of the statement

Shit, I'm not partial to her or the Greens in the least as they occupy a weird centrist position on a lot of topics but there's a weird, excessive hatred of her in the thread that is only rivaled by her enemy faction in her own damn party

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Hey y'all, did you hear how Kim Campbell being prime minister for less than six months because her PM resigned, the appointed GG sometimes being a woman, and the god damn hereditary monarch of Canada being a woman means there's no glass ceiling for a woman, much less a woman of colour in Canada?

Misoginy and racism is dead! Cue the finger guns and fireworks!

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    She did a shitty job, was at best mediocre at the debates and left the party in a worse position than when she started. She never even left Toronto during the election, and still only placed fourth. Smashed through that glass ceiling like a trainwreck tho, woohoo. Maybe running as leader of a federal party is less about busting that glass ceiling and more about advancing the party as a whole. Never got the impression it was about the party though, it was always about Annamie. It's not a hatred of her, it's more of a bewildered disappointment.

Nosf on
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Right, but she was set up to fail

Like, her party spent half their budget in fruitless legal pursuits to drop her immediately prior to an election, they pruned her staff, they denied funding to her campaign, Elizabeth May didn't do anything to support her or stop the infighting

I don't really know how any current leader would be able to contend their own riding with that level of infighting, even though- again - I think it was foolish to target that specific riding, and I don't support the Greens in general

But the amount of animosity for her in a small party that gets 1-3 seats at best is noticeably more, ah.... colourful, than it is for even O'Toole, and it's something worth pointing out

The glass cliff is an unfortunately common experience for BIPOC women

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    O'Toole doesn't have long, they're out sharpening the knives looking for someone even less charismatic. I would say the Liberals and Cons are just much much better at hiding the infighting, the Cons especially. Shit, Jagmeet polls the best as far as just the leaders alone go and you still have people in the party wondering if they need to swap out to go any further next time.

Nosf on
  • Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

Like, her party spent half their budget in fruitless legal pursuits to drop her immediately prior to an election, they pruned her staff, they denied funding to her campaign, Elizabeth May didn't do anything to support her or stop the infighting

I don't really know how any current leader would be able to contend their own riding with that level of infighting, even though- again - I think it was foolish to target that specific riding, and I don't support the Greens in general

But the amount of animosity for her in a small party that gets 1-3 seats at best is noticeably more, ah.... colourful, than it is for even O'Toole, and it's something worth pointing out

If you become the leader of a party and manage to so alienate it that you get sued by it, you probably fucked something up along the way.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

The rift was essentially caused by her, or her over-zealous advisors. The GPC, for good or for ill, has opinions on the Israel-Palestine conflict. Official GPC position is that killing civilians should immediately stop and the siege of Gaza should end. You can also find several other GPC resolutions calling for the end to settlements and such

Here's the leader's initial statement
    Responding to the alarming escalation of violent clashes, and associated deaths in Israel and Gaza, the Green Party of Canada calls for an immediate de-escalation in the violence and a return to dialogue as a means to seeking a peaceful solution

and the MPs

Elizabeth May
    Targeting civilian protesters is in direct violation of the Fourth Geneva Convention, to which both Israel and Canada are signatories,” said Green Party of Canada Leader Elizabeth May (MP, Saanich-Gulf Islands). “We call on the Liberal government to join us in demanding that Israel immediately stop targeting civilians.

Also Elizabeth May
    Today in #QP I called for recognition that in escalating conflict in Israel, there are not equal forces. One side is the occupier; the other is occupied. Annexations, settlements and forced evictions of Palestinians are illegal.

Jenica Atwin
    It is a totally inadequate statement. Forced evictions must end. I stand with Palestine and condemn the unthinkable air strikes in Gaza. End Apartheid.

Paul Manly
    Last month Human Rights Watch called the Israeli occupation apartheid. What is happening in East Jerusalem right now is ethnic cleansing and it’s happening live on social media.

The MPs are quite a bit more... direct. Her advisor responded thusly
    Appalling anti-Semitism and discrimination from a range of political actors beginning with Jagmeet Singh and Dimitri Lascaris and many Liberal, NDP and sadly Green MPs. We will not accept an apology after you realize what you’ve done. We will work to defeat you

It was an own goal. Human Rights Watch has called the situation apartheid. So have two Israeli human rights organizations, and one from South Africa, and she threw her own MPs under the bus with vague accusations of anti-semitism and one of them switched parties. Of course the party wants to dump her

• Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    I'm kind of of the opinion that when the shadowy council behind the scenes mutes the "leader" of the party during a zoom meeting, the council should be the one on the outs. The "leader" is trying to do a job, and they just undercut her in front of every other Green party member in a blatant display of contempt for her.