As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Nintendo] thread, starring Seth Rogan as Donkey Kong

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    New Layton?!

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I went CRAZY when the new Layton showed up
    That and Prime Remaster shadowdrop made me very happy

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i hope they don't fuck you on the prime price comrade

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I hope we get to see Emmy again, she was my favourite part of the prequel trilogy.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023

Looks like it's forty bucks

Which feels too high, which feels in line with current trends

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular

Is $39.99.

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/metroid-prime-remastered-switch/

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    FANTASY LIFE SEQUEL FOR SWITCH

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I'm playing Bioshock infinite on the switch so I'm going to call this appropriate. It's amazing how both prescient and kind of cowardly this game is at the same time when it comes to dealing with social issues. I won't rehash the conversation around Daisy that normally comes up but yeah she is nooooooot great.

But the game is very critical of capitalism and the way that christ-fascism arose from it in a way I wasn't fully aware of when the game was released. I love the way it discusses the intersection between industry, white supremacy, and classism.

What I don't love as much is the way that the revolution starts happening and some admittedly objectively bad things start to happening and because of that as the viewer I'm clearly supposed to be having my second thoughts through the eyes of Elizabeth regarding revolution.

"This is horrible. Nothing is worth this" she pouts and I just wanna scream "What the fuck are you talking about? When I got here they were having goddamn carnival where the prize was getting to stone an interracial couple to death! Fink works people to the point of torture and did you see the literal torture room?". It's really a time capsule of a time where it was agreed that oppression was bad and all but also the oppressed needed to be perfect or they were discarded.

I was thinking the other day that this game came out sort of right before gamer gate, no? I had a moment where I could picture faceless shitgibbon gamers reacting badly to the very blatant "racism is bad" bits written all over Infinite and becoming the current crop of young white chuds I can't seem to get away from.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    $40 is a bit much, but is kinda what I expected.

At least the game looks like it has some work put into it. Not only with the modern controls, but those graphics got tightened up a good bit.
    6cqlyh0im1ha1.png

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I know people are usually disappointed by remaster-heavy Directs, but I gotta say, these picks are all big hits with the "me, specifically" demographic. I always meant to play Ghost Trick but didn't get around to it and then it went out of print long enough to be really expensive and I thought I had missed my chance, so I'm super happy to see that finally coming around again. Baten Kaitos is a series I love that I was sure would never be heard from again. I have a lot of fondness for Tales of Symphonia too (it's very dumb and weird but in a fun way). Etrian Odyssey I like a lot but am probably less likely to replay than the others. And Metroid Prime, obviously.

Although...am I crazy, or does uprezzing Metroid Prime in this specific way make it look...kind of worse, actually? Maybe it's just rose-colored classes, but it looks a lot more flat than I remembered.

I am also rather concerned that the Tears of the Kingdom trailer showed, like, a new enemy type, singular, when Breath of the Wild already had a dire lack of variety in that department.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    I am also rather concerned that the Tears of the Kingdom trailer showed, like, a new enemy type, singular, when Breath of the Wild already had a dire lack of variety in that department.

I saw 3 new enemies in the trailer.
    Flying lizard
    Big bokoblin/fat moblin kind of guy
    Golem sort of thing made of cubes

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Weird question, but I'm now wondering where to pre-order the collector's edition of Tears of the Kingdom.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    The Ghost Trick, and the other anime detective games all looked like things I need to snag.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Weird question, but I'm now wondering where to pre-order the collector's edition of Tears of the Kingdom.

I’m pretty sure I’m keeping with tradition they will drop at like 4am everywhere.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    FANTASY LIFE SEQUEL FOR SWITCH

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Zelda is $70, Game Informer asked Nintendo about it
    Nintendo has responded to our inquiries with the following comments.

On the reasoning for the $69.99 price tag for The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom:
    "We determine the suggested retail price for any Nintendo product on a case-by-case basis."

On if this is the trend for Nintendo titles going forward:
    "No. We determine the suggested retail price for any Nintendo product on a case-by-case basis."

Pikmin 4 is $60 and Metroid Prime Remastered is $40 so yeah it doesn't look like an across-the-board raise like Microsoft and Sony did.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    New Layton?!

Hell yeah I'm down for some new Layton. The story can be as bonkers as they want so long as the puzzles are good.

I picked up The Pathless a couple of days ago. Very cool "Oops, All Archery!" take on BotW, but it's starting to drag around the middle half as the game hasn't introduced any new mechanics or abilities since the first zone.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I am deeply fucking stoked for Baten Kaitos 2

Genuinely adore that game and haven't played it for a decade, what gorgeous art it has

I will also play Tales of Symphonia again sure why not

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Baten Kaitos (and Origins) have the absolute most beautifully detailed worlds. It's kind of the last great hurrah of that style of prerendered worlds in RPGs.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I didn't actually know there were two baten kaitos games, were they both gamecube games?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Zelda is $70, Game Informer asked Nintendo about it
    Nintendo has responded to our inquiries with the following comments.

On the reasoning for the $69.99 price tag for The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom:
    "We determine the suggested retail price for any Nintendo product on a case-by-case basis."

On if this is the trend for Nintendo titles going forward:
    "No. We determine the suggested retail price for any Nintendo product on a case-by-case basis."

Pikmin 4 is $60 and Metroid Prime Remastered is $40 so yeah it doesn't look like an across-the-board raise like Microsoft and Sony did.

And it seems like new Zelda counts for the Voucher program. Usually those vouchers work out to “save $20 if both games you choose would have been $60” so this potentially increases that discount a bit.

Perrsun on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I didn't actually know there were two baten kaitos games, were they both gamecube games?

Yep and some theorize its a big reason why Nintendo bought monolith

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Baten Kaitos was fucking awesome. The only things I want out of a remaster:

Fix the VA (unlikely, but maybe they can at least adjust the horrible otherworldly filter in game 1 to sound less like you're hearing sound recorded on a shitty mic).

New animations for some of the special attacks? Lategame stuff like Apotheosis or some of the other big streak effects is pretty whelming for a JRPG and I feel like they could crank those up.

Shampoo (and only Shampoo) evolves in real time.

Probably unlikely, but other than that just ship it.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Got a voucher, used it for Advance Wars and Return to Dreamland Deluxe.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Baten Kaitos was fucking awesome. The only things I want out of a remaster:

Fix the VA (unlikely, but maybe they can at least adjust the horrible otherworldly filter in game 1 to sound less like you're hearing sound recorded on a shitty mic).

New animations for some of the special attacks? Lategame stuff like Apotheosis or some of the other big streak effects is pretty whelming for a JRPG and I feel like they could crank those up.

Shampoo (and only Shampoo) evolves in real time.

Probably unlikely, but other than that just ship it.

Looks like BK's audio is JP only, at least for the first one.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I'm playing Bioshock infinite on the switch so I'm going to call this appropriate. It's amazing how both prescient and kind of cowardly this game is at the same time when it comes to dealing with social issues. I won't rehash the conversation around Daisy that normally comes up but yeah she is nooooooot great.

But the game is very critical of capitalism and the way that christ-fascism arose from it in a way I wasn't fully aware of when the game was released. I love the way it discusses the intersection between industry, white supremacy, and classism.

What I don't love as much is the way that the revolution starts happening and some admittedly objectively bad things start to happening and because of that as the viewer I'm clearly supposed to be having my second thoughts through the eyes of Elizabeth regarding revolution.

"This is horrible. Nothing is worth this" she pouts and I just wanna scream "What the fuck are you talking about? When I got here they were having goddamn carnival where the prize was getting to stone an interracial couple to death! Fink works people to the point of torture and did you see the literal torture room?". It's really a time capsule of a time where it was agreed that oppression was bad and all but also the oppressed needed to be perfect or they were discarded.

After finishing the game I decided to look up some comments from Ken Levine and he's either a liar desperately scared to appear to have any opinions about the past or philosophy or he's genuinely a thoughtless buffoon who presumably is taking credit for the efforts of smarter people bellow him.
    In response to people discussing Columbia "as a particularly racist society", Levine said that the game was making no particular point about the theme of racism and that the game's depiction of it was merely "more a factor of the time."[203] The racism portrayed in Columbia was seen by Levine "more as a reflection of what race relations in the U.S. were like in 1912;" Levine explained that the game was "less about exploring the good and bad sides of racism and more just a reflection of the time and how it impacted that era."[209] He noted that several historic American figures such as the Founding Fathers, Abraham Lincoln and Theodore Roosevelt were "men of their times", great men who were nevertheless racist because of the times they lived in. Consequently, Levine reasoned that the depictions of nationalism and racism were warranted in the game, saying that to not do so would be "dishonest" and "strange" to the time period.[209][210] Many reviewers praised the game for its treatment of race.[211][212]

Reveals of the game had people from all sides of the political spectrum accusing the game of attacking the left or right; Levine considered that Infinite was a Rorschach test for most people, though it would be taken negatively in nature and upset them, as his vision in crafting the stories was "about not buying into a single point of view".[210] The National Liberty Federation, a group in the Tea Party movement, used a propaganda mural from the game espousing the Founders' racism and xenophobia on their Facebook page before its source was recognized and later taken down.[222] Fox News created a logo extremely similar to the BioShock Infinite logo for a segment titled "Defending the Homeland" relating to immigration control.[223]

Maybe if you made a game about "not buying into a single point of view" and chose to depict abused victims striking back at their abusers as being two equally bad sides you DID pick a side there, Ken. Maybe if one side of the political divide embraced your massively racist villains that says something about modern politics, Ken?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Downloaded the Game Boy NSO app.

Man, I am terrible at Tetris.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Bought the Sephiroth Amiibo.

Don't play Smash, haven't turned on my Switch for a month, just neat to have a Sephiroth Amiibo.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    There's a what now? I know what I need to hunt for at Target

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Probably gonna be hard to find for a bit. I managed to snag both immediately, but I haven't seen Sephy since. I did pick up a second Kazuya for my bro, who really wanted one.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Managed to get one online since it was out of stock physically everywhere. Says it'll arrive next Thursday so here's hoping

• Options
    https://youtu.be/pu57M7cjSD4

This'll run during the Superbowl, I imagine.

The phone number leads to an in-character voice message from Luigi, and the site is real with tons of Easter eggs.

• Options
    FojvRzuWIAIcd3j.jpg
    FojvR_6WcAIAhnC.jpg

God I am so excited for a new Layton

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/pu57M7cjSD4

This'll run during the Superbowl, I imagine.

The phone number leads to an in-character voice message from Luigi, and the site is real with tons of Easter eggs.

this commercial is great because it's using the cheesy old super mario bros. rap and does not feature mario or luigi talking with their movie voices

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    It's hilarious to me that Luigi has had more boiced lines in trailers than Mario and they are seemingly editing out him speaking whenever possible.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    It's hilarious to me that Luigi has had more boiced lines in trailers than Mario and they are seemingly editing out him speaking whenever possible.

I wonder if they pull a Sonic and have him redo a bunch of lines to make them sound more Mario-ish.

• Options
    I couldn't make it all out, but I wanted to see if there were any easter eggs in the map.

orYrD6Th.png

Punch Out and Mushroom Planet are the big ones that stand out to me. The Queens side doesn't seem to have anything specifically Mario related that I could see, though one looked like "Sarasaland", which would be an INSANE deep cut.

• Options
    Luck Card Street is definitely a reference to the Toad game from 3

• Options
    I don't know NYC very much at all so I didn't want to risk making guesses on streets and areas. Like I only know that Flushing, Queens is a real area thanks to The Nanny.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    The Excavation of Hob's Barrow was a fun point-and-click game in the vein of The Dig - I mean, they're both spooky archaeology, after all. The plot does not have many surprises if you're at all familiar with the folk horror genre, but the writing is good and there are plenty of unsettling visuals along the way.