As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Nintendo] thread, starring Seth Rogan as Donkey Kong

1575859606163»

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    And also in much more speculative charts and timelines and connecting stuff with strings stuff
    I feel like there's something to the fact this is being presented and portrayed specifically as Ganondorf the dude and not Ganon the angry pig monster, and maybe it's implying sort of a separation between the two, and more of a resurrection of the original king guy versus the latest in a line of reincarnations of the evil force. I actually was wondering until they specifically called him Ganondorf with this last chunk if it was gonna be something going back to the original Malice DEMISE I was close from skyward sword who's implied to be the origin of the cycle and yadda yadda

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    And also in much more speculative charts and timelines and connecting stuff with strings stuff
    I feel like there's something to the fact this is being presented and portrayed specifically as Ganondorf the dude and not Ganon the angry pig monster, and maybe it's implying sort of a separation between the two, and more of a resurrection of the original king guy versus the latest in a line of reincarnations of the evil force. I actually was wondering until they specifically called him Ganondorf with this last chunk if it was gonna be something going back to the original Malice from skyward sword who's implied to be the origin of the cycle and yadda yadda

Yeah when they first showed it I was like
    that's Demise

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    I like the idea that Ganondorf tapped into/fused with Demise as part of ritual he did as a mortal man/sorcerer before OoT. A "I want to take over Hyrule! But I'm going to need power to do that... I'm going to tap into this primordial magical dark force. What could go wrong?" situation.

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    So Im doing voice training at a local college and I did a practice conversation with the student training there.
    We got to talking about Zelda and they asked what my favorite game was. I said Wind Waker.
    They said Oh cool that was my first one!

Reader I did the math and they likely didnt exist when the original came out so they meant the wiiu remake

I did not to my credit crumble to dust

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    New Genesis games, out now
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_oWkNienwo

Flicky, Kid Chameleon, Street Fighter 2 Special Champion Edition, and Pulseman
    Pulseman is interesting, it's a pre-Pokemon Game Freak game

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    There was a code in kid chameleon to jump to the end of the game from doing a code ontop of a box in the end of the 2nd map? I vaguely remember how that game was large for a 16bit game

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Well that's one way to work for Nintendo.

How in the fuck is lifetime slavery to a corporation legal? Wonder if he can skip the country, start over somewhere else that's not a hellhole.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    If that happened to me, I would absolutely just leave the United States and start over somewhere else.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    You guys might want to read the actual article. It's about Gary Bowser.

https://dexerto.com/tech/nintendo-hacker-forced-to-pay-them-for-life-after-being-released-from-prison-2117382/

His salary is being garnished to pay for the fine against him.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    I mean yeah that is what I assumed, I still think that’s incredibly evil. It should be impossible to levy a fine against an individual that they can never reasonably pay.

We fine companies peanuts for things like child labor violations but this dude was hacking switches and now he’s a slave to Nintendo for life, it’s fucked up.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Madican wrote: »
    Well that's one way to work for Nintendo.

How in the fuck is lifetime slavery to a corporation legal? Wonder if he can skip the country, start over somewhere else that's not a hellhole.

It's an extremely stupid clickbait framing for the very normal process of "you have a massive debt and can't be trusted to pay for it so we will garnish your wages." For an obvious example of when this happens, I wouldn't call deadbeat dads "slaves to their ex-wife", personally.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Child support is not an endless debt to a massive corporation.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Yeah, but it is "forced to pay 20-30% of your salary" to somebody else, which was why it was compared to slavery, is my point.

I don't really think some dude running a for-profit piracy website is the best case-study to discuss the systemic issues with incarceration and excessive fines (and copyright law especially has absurd fines beyond basically anything else), but like... the concept of wage garnishment has some pretty obvious applications and casually calling it slavery seems weird!

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Oh he broke a law, and it's not technically legally slavery so we're all cool, I'm glad we cleared that up
    Steal from corporations whenever you can get away with it

• Options
    I'm not saying that the fine is reasonable or that copyright law punishment is anything but overly punitive, I'm just pointing out, for people who seemed genuinely unaware, that wage garnishment is a totally normal process and that the article framing it as some new and special punishment for him is stupid.

I also do genuinely think there's a difference between slavery (which is what he was facing in prison) and wage garnishment!

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Pretty sure nobody was all that confused about wage garnishment, and you come off like kind of a dip trying to explain it to people like they've never heard of it because it also comes off like a tacit endorsement.

It's normal, therefore nothing is wrong.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Literally the first response was "how is this legal?"

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    milski wrote: »
    Literally the first response was "how is this legal?"

What if what they meant was "how did we as a society let this be legal?"

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Like when they went all Wario on people who stream modded versions of BOTW?

Man, I grew up with Nintendo and have negative respect for them now.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    What's the name of that
    milski wrote: »
    I'm not saying that the fine is reasonable or that copyright law punishment is anything but overly punitive, I'm just pointing out, for people who seemed genuinely unaware, that wage garnishment is a totally normal process and that the article framing it as some new and special punishment for him is stupid.

I also do genuinely think there's a difference between slavery (which is what he was facing in prison) and wage garnishment!

I promise there is no need to go to bat this hard for a corporation to defend against the heinous crime of hyperbole. Papa Nintendo will never thank you for it

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    Like when they went all Wario on people who stream modded versions of BOTW?

Man, I grew up with Nintendo and have negative respect for them now.

I was reading this as I was watching the Indie Nintendo Direct and... yup, agreed. Nintendo has got cool games, and I'm going to buy them on another platform when I can.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Naphtali wrote: »

https://dexerto.com/tech/nintendo-hacker-forced-to-pay-them-for-life-after-being-released-from-prison-2117382/

He made $320,000 hacking hardware and selling kits to hack hardware.

His fine is $14,500,000 which is just about 45x what he earned.

Again, how is this legal? We let corporations who actively harm thousands if not millions of people skate with a slap on the wrist, if even that, yet turn one person into a slave for life to a corporation when they harmed no one. It's fucked up and this is a fucked up country.

Madican on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    14.5 million is 45 times 320k actually

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    14.5 million is 45 times 320k actually

Yes it is, my brain be dumb

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »

He made $320,000 hacking hardware and selling kits to hack hardware.

His fine is $14,500,000 which is just about 45x what he earned.

Again, how is this legal? We let corporations who actively harm thousands if not millions of people skate with a slap on the wrist, if even that, yet turn one person into a slave for life to a corporation when they harmed no one. It's fucked up and this is a fucked up country.

Statutory damages I assume. The thing that got added to copyright laws because it was too hard for big companies to demonstrate that they'd actually been harmed by some random person. It's completely bullshit, agreed.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited May 2023
    PAC-MAN 99 is shutting down in October: https://pacman.com/en/games/pacman99.php
    PAC-MAN 99, which is currently available as a benefit for Nintendo Switch Online members, will soon be discontinued.
    Distribution of the main game and sales for each DLC will end accordingly.

End date schedule is as follows:
    • August 8, 2023 (Tue) 8:00 AM PDT
    Discontinued content: Paid custom themes

• September 8, 2023 (Fri) 8:00 AM PDT
    Discontinued content: PAC-MAN 99 Deluxe Pack / PAC-MAN 99 Mode Unlock

• October 8, 2023 (Sun) 9:00 PM PDT
    Discontinuation of online services for the main game / distribution of the main game and free custom themes

Even after online services are discontinued for the main game, users who own either of the paid DLCs (PAC-MAN 99 Deluxe Pack or PAC-MAN 99 Mode Unlock) can continue to enjoy CPU BATTLE, BLIND TIME ATTACK, and SCORE ATTACK in offline mode.

In addition, please note:
    • PAC-MAN 99 themes that were purchased can be used in offline mode.
    • Purchased content can be re-downloaded even after discontinuation of sales.
    • PAC-MAN 99 Deluxe Pack includes all paid downloadable content, so please be careful not to make duplicate purchases.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular

From all the game systems to reissue a game from, the 3DO certainly wasn't on my list.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Fmv has been seeing a resurgence lately, it feels like.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch