As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fat Bear Week

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Walker is a fuckin meatball I said the boy is lörge. Round to Walker.

909 has potential but is just too fresh. Gotta give it to 901.

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    Because my brain is stupid and broken, here are the Fat Bears as NBA players:

435 Holly: Julius Erving. Beloved mentor figure who is one of the best players, but rarely the best, but definitely has the most style, and is always looking good. The younger bears can count on her to be a good example and a very chill presence. A true OG and a legend in the game.
    164 Bucky: Josh Giddy. Not really a top level body, still very young, but knows all the cracks and angles. Plays with creativity and savvy, always finding the cracks. Probably not the same ceiling as the top bears, but they are still young so who knows.

747: Shaq. Just an all time huge beast of a bear. Less aggressive than some of the other dominant bears, and likes to enjoy life too, but can definitely assert themselves if need be.
    32 Chunk: Charles Barkley. Kind of a quirky personality that bounces between jovial and aggressive. A real round mound who likes to get into scraps. Just a goofball who is also often grumpy.

128 Grazer: Russell Westbrook. The most aggressive bear out there. Always going 100% and won't back down from anybody, even she isn't the biggest. Racks up tons of assists, providing for the two fattest 2.5 year olds on the river. Like Westbrook, when it comes to bearin or balling, she will EAT.
    151 Walker: Zion Williamson. Dat ass. A bear coming into its prime with the talent to challenge to top bears, but a lot of injury issues. Is also a playful bear that has turned more aggressive as its started to challenge for the top spot. (honorable mention: Kyle Lowry, because again, Dat Ass)

480 Otis: Tim Duncan. All about the fundamentals, economy of motion, a very chill attitude that everyone respects. More of a complainer than Duncan, and more charismatic, but they share the same expression on the bench. Never the most physically gifted or imposing, but wins more than anyone with consistency and committment.
    901: Victor Wembanyama. The prospect with generational talent who burst into the public consciousness this week. Needs to prove that they can sustain, but what a debut!

Anyone have better comps?

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Walker is a fuckin meatball I said the boy is lörge. Round to Walker.

909 has potential but is just too fresh. Gotta give it to 901.

909 will be a contender in future years, I look forward to watching his career.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I voted earlier today and my boy Chunk is getting done dirty.

What an unjust world.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    burbo wrote: »

164 = Ja

Sees the game different than others, angle of attack is a whole new level
    Rangy, looks thinner amongst the peers
    100% unafraid of the deep end and, in fact, thrives there against larger foes
    Fish-paw-mouth coordination is obscene

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Hell yeah let's go Holly. I'll always vote for Holly, because one of my dogs is a Holly. Gotta represent the H Oh Double hockey sticks you know?

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Holly and Beadnose are/were my favorite bears in Katmai. Beadnose just has such a weird look (though she hasn't been seen since 2018. :( ), and Holly won my heart after adopting 503 in 2015.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    The Judge wrote: »

164 = Ja

Sees the game different than others, angle of attack is a whole new level
    Rangy, looks thinner amongst the peers
    100% unafraid of the deep end and, in fact, thrives there against larger foes
    Fish-paw-mouth coordination is obscene

Thats a great comp, and i actually considered it before going with someone i though of as a bit more "quirky".

I love your description tho.

• Options
    Holly and Beadnose are/were my favorite bears in Katmai. Beadnose just has such a weird look (though she hasn't been seen since 2018. :( ), and Holly won my heart after adopting 503 in 2015.

503 adoption damn near makes me cry everytime i think of it, esp because he is prob my favorite bear. Also makes me love Holly, not too mention no one else looks like her.

Holly and 747 votes were easy for me today.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Holly is crushing it. 747 looks great as well.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I grudgingly voted for 747 because 747 is a fuckin 747 of a bear.

Just the roundest of round boys. He's the one to beat in this for sure though Walker is developing an incredible rotundnest that may be the upset.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    747 won last year, if I recall correctly.

• Options
    Otis won last year, and 747 the year prior. 747 was bigger obvs, but Otis came in so emaciated looking that his transformation was incredible.

• Options
    There have been 8 fat bear championships, and Otis won 4 of them, though he had lost 3 in a row prior to last year. Beadnose is the only other multi winner (2x), and 747 and Holly round it out.

https://explore.org/hall-of-champions

• Options
    42 Salmon Otis is not a force to be trifled with.

• Options
    Could you imagine if you were introduced to a new coworker and your boss said, "And this is Otis '42 Salmon' Jones."

• Options
    747 vs Holly today, and its the first of the reslly tough decisions for me. In the end, i went back and forth, but decided on 747 in the end. I love the transformation of Holly, not to mentiom how her light fur and squat body shows all her rolls, but 747's sheer mass is undeniable.

• Options
    Holly with the come from behind victory! Well deserved,but i hope it wasnt bots leading to the comeback.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    It says 747 won on my end. 37k to 30k. Maybe there was a rush of bot votes that got negated? Idk who would put effort into making bots to vote for fat bears though.

• Options
    Internet, baby.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    It says 747 won on my end. 37k to 30k. Maybe there was a rush of bot votes that got negated? Idk who would put effort into making bots to vote for fat bears though.

Most Honorable Fraternity of Park Rangers?
    Secret betting scheme?

:P

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Not sure what went on, but the main reason I know about this other than this thread is Holly Anderson, who among other things is part of my college football internet world. Not sure what went on with the votes for this.

• Options
    Yep,its definitely different than what i was seeing earlier. Bots as i suspected. This is why we cant have nice things.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I love this so much. Bears rule.

I want nothing as much as I want a bear to be my best friend and/or giant pillow.

just go down to The Eagle

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    This led me, eventually, to reading a little bit about the bear that primarily played Gentle Ben, and that led me to the knowledge that he was declawed and had all of his teeth removed.

So now I'm sad and I'm gonna inflict that on everyone else.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    747 vs Holly today, and its the first of the reslly tough decisions for me. In the end, i went back and forth, but decided on 747 in the end. I love the transformation of Holly, not to mentiom how her light fur and squat body shows all her rolls, but 747's sheer mass is undeniable.

I find that Holly vs. 747 is the Fat Bear Week microcosm ot the current situation in bodybuilding the last 15/20 years. Aesthetics and jaw dropping body sculpting and transformation has taken a backseat to sheer bulk and reigns being dominated by "mass monsters". This is not to deduct from the legitimacy of absolute units like a freaking 280lbs but still outrageiously conditioned Ronny Coleman in 2005 or bear 747 this year, but my vote went for Holly and a lighter but still freakish Jay Cutler.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Fat Bear championship today! I was a little saddened to see Grazer go down. The voting public probably doesnt realize that, in addition to getting really fat herself, she fed the two fattest 2 and a half year olds on the river. I was voting her through to the title if i got the chance.

747 vs 901 is a tough call. 901 is just so demonstrably fat. Im going to go 747 though, because its hard to communicate his immensity with a single photo without comp. He doesnt get the same kinds of rolls and bulges, but watch that guy walk a few steps out of water, and it shows just how incredibly fat he is.

Whichever way it goes though, itll be a deserving winner (assuming no bots) and a great cap off to fat bear week and a great fat bear summer.

• Options
    Congratulations to the Bearoplane, Bear Force One, the Absolute Unit, 747. In the end, the comp went to the biggest bear on the river. The guy so enormous he can barely make it up the hill to get out of the water.

He definitely went through some hardship this year, including showing up with significant injuries and his ear dangling by a thread of meat. After finally breaking through as top bear last summer, he was put in his place early on by 856, multiple times, and just looked so depressed. Eventually, he healed, he ate, he grew, and was shoving around all other bears, including 856, by the end of summer.

He is also the most dog like looking bear, to me, with his floppy ears. Seeing him in the J looking like a big old bow was delightful. Not to mention later on when he moved to the far pool and looked like a bear mountain.

Congrats to a deserving winner, hip hip hooray to the fat bear champion.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    The Jumbo Jet is flying first class once again.

• Options
    I gotta admit, I miss the fat bears at the falls. I didn't realize how much they were like a nice little comfort blanky! It still brings me such joy when I turn on the cams, and there is my guy Otis sitting in the office. I remember last year they were there until November, I watched Otis in the office on Halloween. Not sure they will stick around that long this time.

Luckily, the River Watch camera is so beautiful, and the snow caps on the mountains are gorgeous. And there are still lots of bears down there too.

• Options
    Where are all my fat bear heads at!?

Fat Bear poster competition voting has started! Did any of you make one? I thought about making one, and then got lazy. If I did, what I would have done is my song lyrics dedicated to the 910s and 909s. Here they are for posterity.

Beady Bunch Lyrics

Here’s the story, of a lovely lady
    Who was bringing up a very lovely cub.
    She had giant ears, like her mother
    Eating that fishy grub.

Here’s the story, of her funny sister
    Who was busy, with a rascal, of her own.
    They were two bears, living all together,
    Int hat fat bear zone.

Until one day when the lady went in estrus.
    And they knew it was much more than hunch.
    That this cub, must go and join her Auntie.
    That’s the way we all became the Beady Bunch.

The Beady Bunch.
    The Beady Bunch.
    That’s the way we became the Beady Bunch.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    FAAAT BEEEAAAARRRR

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    It’s my week again!

Although another 20 pounds and I’m not sure I would say I’m “fat” anymore…maybe I should get back to eating more junk.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    It’s my week again!

i could eat you and poop you out bigger than before

this is the reign of me

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Them bears gettin’ FAT

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    training

rcoc74u48cg7.png

• Options
    Who is y'alls fat bear favorite this year?

For me, I'm partial to 128 Grazer and 435 Holly. I like Grazer because she has been so omnipresent on the cams, including being the first to catch a fish on cams, and the first to catch a fish on the lip. Not to mention she is looking laaaaaarge. Holly because I really like her, and she might be even fatter than Grazer.

I think that 32 Chunk is up there too. I think he has probably overtaken 747 as the overall largest bear on the river.

• Options
    It's Holly. It's always Holly.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Keep my wife out of this!

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Keep my wife out of this!

When did you marry my dog?!