As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV]: Endwalker! Game sales resume Jan. 25th. USE SPOILER TAGS.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    rollin' out with the homies

agcm6e15zlud.jpg

ohhh nooooo
    9vomupdd70wz.jpg

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Checked the market board for Exarchic stuff and picked up a weapon + two rings. That brought me to 450 ilevel which should suffice to get me through the remainder of pre-EW stuff I hope. If not then I'll have some current content tomes to spend by then I'm sure. Feels very weird to be current when a month and a half ago I was still in HW after resubbing.
    Well I hit my first snag in the post Shadowbringers stuff pretty fast. New dungeon opened up but oops requires 430 ilevel to enter which...I do not have. I picked up the stuff in the Tempest when I advanced that part of the MSQ but seems I still need to replace my belt (useless as it'll be in a few weeks) and for the right side bracers + both rings. There a vendor I can make use of or should I do some dungeon queues then buy the latest with poetics? If I even can.

You should have unlocked a new Dungeon in the Crystarium marked with a Blue + Quest marker, "By the time you hear this."

Do it, you wont regret it.
    That was an interesting dungeon. Music, picking up the lore bits scattered around (as my party charged off elsewhere no regrets), and finding an artificial Alexander at the bottom. Definitely worth the run.

That boss is...
    The result of Cid and Wedge's work spanning several generations. They rebuilt/reverse engineered Alexander with Omega which is how the Crystal tower jumped from the Source to the First AND back in time. It wasn't just a big teleport spell, it was Tycoon, which broke after activating.

As soon as you hit 435, you can start the first Nier raid too at the Dwarf village in Kholusia, which you should absolutely do.

The dungeon has lore entries scattered in it you can interact with.

Also, now that you've beaten it, there's this short story on the website: https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/tales_from_the_shadows/sidestory_08/#sidestory_08 (Spoilers for The Twinning, obviously)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    That brought me to 450 ilevel which should suffice to get me through the remainder of pre-EW stuff I hope.

The last dungeon of ShB requires i490, so plan accordingly.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    by the time you get there though you should have some tomestones you can use for tomestone gear too

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    What is this weird fox in Idyllshire and why is it staring into my soul

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    My big hope and expectation for the Endwalker story ending is:
    Zenos isn't trying to merge with Zodiark, but rather Hydaelyn, and he's gonna succeed and we're gonna end up having to kill both primals for good.

This will result in all the existing stars just continuing to exist as they are, indefinitely, and hopefully the lifestream and suchlike will finally properly stabilise for good.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Hey so did you know

That the Moogle Tome jacket cannot be sent to other players?

'Cause I know that now. I ground out an extra 100 tomes so I could get a spare for my partner.

Now... now I have 2 jackets

• Options
    I wish they were tradeable!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Aymeric?! Is that you?!

• Options
    faux is an item vendor for doing unreals

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Hey so did you know

'Cause I know that now. I ground out an extra 100 tomes so I could get a spare for my partner.

Definitely give support a holler. Hopefully they can at least refund your tomestones

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Checked the market board for Exarchic stuff and picked up a weapon + two rings. That brought me to 450 ilevel which should suffice to get me through the remainder of pre-EW stuff I hope. If not then I'll have some current content tomes to spend by then I'm sure. Feels very weird to be current when a month and a half ago I was still in HW after resubbing.
    Well I hit my first snag in the post Shadowbringers stuff pretty fast. New dungeon opened up but oops requires 430 ilevel to enter which...I do not have. I picked up the stuff in the Tempest when I advanced that part of the MSQ but seems I still need to replace my belt (useless as it'll be in a few weeks) and for the right side bracers + both rings. There a vendor I can make use of or should I do some dungeon queues then buy the latest with poetics? If I even can.

You should have unlocked a new Dungeon in the Crystarium marked with a Blue + Quest marker, "By the time you hear this."

Do it, you wont regret it.
    That was an interesting dungeon. Music, picking up the lore bits scattered around (as my party charged off elsewhere no regrets), and finding an artificial Alexander at the bottom. Definitely worth the run.

That boss is...
    The result of Cid and Wedge's work spanning several generations. They rebuilt/reverse engineered Alexander with Omega which is how the Crystal tower jumped from the Source to the First AND back in time. It wasn't just a big teleport spell, it was Tycoon, which broke after activating.

As soon as you hit 435, you can start the first Nier raid too at the Dwarf village in Kholusia, which you should absolutely do.

Also, just a fun fact:
    The Tycoon might just be named in reference to the Tycoon royal family in Final Fantasy V. In particular, Lenna’s father is named Alexander Highwind Tycoon.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Faux_Hollows
    Do Unreal trials (lvl 80 ilvl 430 versions of old primals, one available per patch (currently Leviathan)) to play battleship for fun and prizes

Note: This system is going on hiatus for some time in Endwalker and won't come back until 6.1

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

I've been listening to big chunks of the NieR: Automata soundtrack since I did that first raid. Stuff's excellent.

And on that note, I really disliked the music in the Ivalice raids. I assume it's 100% intentional that they made it sound like bad MIDI as a throwback to the original games.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Hey so did you know

Definitely give support a holler. Hopefully they can at least refund your tomestones

Bear in mind that item restore in FF14 is both a pretty long process, and also has a hard limit of one time, ever.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

I've been listening to big chunks of the NieR: Automata soundtrack since I did that first raid. Stuff's excellent.

And on that note, I really disliked the music in the Ivalice raids. I assume it's 100% intentional that they made it sound like bad MIDI as a throwback to the original games.

It's the actual original tracks in most cases.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    turtleant wrote: »
    Hey so did you know

Bear in mind that item restore in FF14 is both a pretty long process, and also has a hard limit of one time, ever.

Yeah, I appreciate the thought but since I've already gotten most of the things I want with Moogle Bux, I'll probably just keep the thing as a monument to my hubris. Or maybe put it on a retainer!

• Options
    Idle musings while I'm at work thinking about the game.

5.0 stuff
    I've been thinking about Zodiark and Hydaelyn. To summon Zodiark half the population sacrificed their souls. To restore the world another half sacrificed theirs, resulting in a quarter of the population that remained after the Final Days which probably winnowed that number considerably by itself. And then half of that final number sacrificed themselves to summon forth Hydaelyn, who ultimately won the battle with Zodiark.

I started thinking about how Hydaelyn, summoned with so much less aether than Zodiark, was able to defeat him. After all, Zodiark was summoned to rewrite the laws of reality for the star. That's some pretty hefty power at his disposal the cost notwithstanding. But he lost the battle.

Emet-Selch said that Hydaelyn had the power to enervate her foe: Zodiark. Several times when faced with Ascian darkness originating from Zodiark we counteract it with Hydaelyn's light. But they can't do the same to us. And yet Zodiark hasn't lost a fragment of his original power while Hydaelyn is practically spent by the time of Heavensward, despite the relationship between Hydaelyn and Zodiark being counterparts, Light and Dark. And it's not like we haven't been doing our part for the light. She should be bursting with power with how many people put their faith in her.

But that's only if she actually was an equal counterpart to Zodiark. And I don't think she really is. Zodiark was summoned to rewrite reality as his core concept, thus requiring a massive amount of aether. Hydaelyn on the other hand was specifically summoned to take down Zodiark, a much more limited scope meaning much less aether needed to bring her forth. She doesn't need to be Zodiark's equal to do that, she just needs to be his poison. Her being his equal would actually be detrimental because they'd either cancel each out or mutual destruction. But as his bane and only his bane she can win. Though it also means her losing power is only to go be expected, because she always had a finite battery life compared to Zodiark.

This can also explain the tempering issue. Tempering brings an individual in line with the primal's core concept, the reason they were summoned. If Hydaelyn's entire existence is focused on defeating Zodiark then her tempering would instill that same desire in the tempered. And if the WoL is one of the original people who summoned forth Hydaelyn, maybe even one of the Convocation of Fourteen, it would explain why their soul fragments are essentially fated to be Warriors of Light across the shards.

Like I said, some idle musings. This sort of lore stuff really catches my attention and starts the train of thought at full speed.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Echo wrote: »

They are exact mp3s of the final fantasy tactics soundtrack yes

Also boooooo I love that fuckin' soundtrack how dare :P

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

5.0 stuff
    I've been thinking about Zodiark and Hydaelyn. To summon Zodiark half the population sacrificed their souls. To restore the world another half sacrificed theirs, resulting in a quarter of the population that remained after the Final Days which probably winnowed that number considerably by itself. And then half of that final number sacrificed themselves to summon forth Hydaelyn, who ultimately won the battle with Zodiark.

I started thinking about how Hydaelyn, summoned with so much less aether than Zodiark, was able to defeat him. After all, Zodiark was summoned to rewrite the laws of reality for the star. That's some pretty hefty power at his disposal the cost notwithstanding. But he lost the battle.

Emet-Selch said that Hydaelyn had the power to enervate her foe: Zodiark. Several times when faced with Ascian darkness originating from Zodiark we counteract it with Hydaelyn's light. But they can't do the same to us. And yet Zodiark hasn't lost a fragment of his original power while Hydaelyn is practically spent by the time of Heavensward, despite the relationship between Hydaelyn and Zodiark being counterparts, Light and Dark. And it's not like we haven't been doing our part for the light. She should be bursting with power with how many people put their faith in her.

But that's only if she actually was an equal counterpart to Zodiark. And I don't think she really is. Zodiark was summoned to rewrite reality as his core concept, thus requiring a massive amount of aether. Hydaelyn on the other hand was specifically summoned to take down Zodiark, a much more limited scope meaning much less aether needed to bring her forth. She doesn't need to be Zodiark's equal to do that, she just needs to be his poison. Her being his equal would actually be detrimental because they'd either cancel each out or mutual destruction. But as his bane and only his bane she can win. Though it also means her losing power is only to go be expected, because she always had a finite battery life compared to Zodiark.

This can also explain the tempering issue. Tempering brings an individual in line with the primal's core concept, the reason they were summoned. If Hydaelyn's entire existence is focused on defeating Zodiark then her tempering would instill that same desire in the tempered. And if the WoL is one of the original people who summoned forth Hydaelyn, maybe even one of the Convocation of Fourteen, it would explain why their soul fragments are essentially fated to be Warriors of Light across the shards.

Like I said, some idle musings. This sort of lore stuff really catches my attention and starts the train of thought at full speed.
    Kind of like making a sharp object to pop a balloon - Hydaelyn was created purely for the purpose of countering Zodiark. She's still immensely powerful from our perspective but beyond the singular purpose for which she was made, she's not really capable of doing a whole lot else.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

5.0 stuff

There is also the possibility that a significant chunk of Zodiark's reality-rewriting power came from the fuel that the sacrifice gave him, and was expended in the process. I don't think he has the power to rewrite reality on a whim without more sacrifice.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

5.0 stuff

5.x spoiler
    The WoL is the "lost" member of the Convocation, Azem, who left when the plan to create Zodiark was conceived. Fusing Ardbert's soul (being Azem's shard in the First) caused the WoL to gain enough of their "original" form to become recognizable (hence why Emet-Selch saw the WoL as Azem.) Azem was also separate from the faction that created Hydaelyn - their leader who would serve as Her core (just as Elidibus became the core of Zodiark) is Venat.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    I would recommend not reading any of the spoiler responses until you finish the shadowbringers MSQ tbh

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

5.0 stuff

5.x spoiler
    The WoL is the "lost" member of the Convocation, Azem, who left when the plan to create Zodiark was conceived. Fusing Ardbert's soul (being Azem's shard in the First) caused the WoL to gain enough of their "original" form to become recognizable (hence why Emet-Selch saw the WoL as Azem.) Azem was also separate from the faction that created Hydaelyn - their leader who would serve as Her core (just as Elidibus became the core of Zodiark) is Venat.
    As to the question of tempering, it's always possible that Hydaelyn just doesn't want to temper anyone. Since her concept is a rejection of Zodiark, it wouldn't be surprising. (Also, consider the last time the name Venat came up, and what his motivation was). All that requires is just not leaving aether running rampant all over... not that she has much to spare anyways in the present day. I actually can't recall if Shiva ever tempered anyone at all either.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

5.0 stuff

5.x spoiler
    As to the question of tempering, it's always possible that Hydaelyn just doesn't want to temper anyone. Since her concept is a rejection of Zodiark, it wouldn't be surprising. (Also, consider the last time the name Venat came up, and what his motivation was). All that requires is just not leaving aether running rampant all over... not that she has much to spare anyways in the present day. I actually can't recall if Shiva ever tempered anyone at all either.
    she doesn't, since her summoning is different and she also does not need to temper anyone, the dravinians already serve that role

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

5.0 stuff

5.x spoiler
    she doesn't, since her summoning is different and she also does not need to temper anyone, the dravinians already serve that role
    Ysayle was also in direct control of the summon, in the way that Zenos was in control of Shinryu, and I assume she chose to hold her aether back to avoid tempering people, or didn't know she could and avoided it by accident, but the former sounds more like her.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    When it comes to primals tempering people, it's mostly just within their own control. If you summon the primal you're channeling their energies and get auto-tempered, but once they're actually out it requires some degree of active effort on part of the primal.

And different primals have different attitudes.
    Ifrit loves tempering people, so he does it at every chance. (Hence why his method became the standard terminology for enthrallment, although you still sometimes hear about Leviathan's "drowned" and Odin's "sundered".)
    Titan, meanwhile, just wants the overdwellers dead and doesn't even bother. IIRC the Company of Heroes didn't even have anyone with the Echo? You'll note how Southern Thanalan and Western La Noscea have a bunch of tempered thralls but Outer La Noscea and the East Shroud... don't.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Odin is kind of a special case though if I recall.
    Whoever lands the last blow on him is compelled to pick up the weapon, which is his true body, and he controls them as his new vessel. Kinda similar to a Lightwarden now I think of it.

Madican on
  • Options
    Whoever lands the last blow on him is compelled to pick up the weapon, which is his true body, and he controls them as his new vessel. Kinda similar to a Lightwarden now I think of it.

This is actually explained more in another part of the game I don't think you've done yet.

• Options
    they had more lore on Odin in Eureka I want to say? I haven't done the Eureka story myself though

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Yeah, Odin's unusual there. And then the transformation into a new Odin is basically the normal endpoint of tempering sped up - see Sin Eaters.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    they had more lore on Odin in Eureka I want to say? I haven't done the Eureka story myself though
    Yes - Odin is one of the weapons created by Eureka, and the only one (we know of) not contained in the Baldesion Arsenal.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    There is apparently no end to the lore awaiting my discovery and I love it. Does mean I can't click any unmarked spoilers but oh well

• Options
    Half hour left of work on a very slow day with plenty of space for my mind to wander as I wait to resume playing the game once I get home

"Are the Ascians boomers?"

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Since the Woundrous Tails reset is tomorrow, just a reminder that you can hold this week's(as in tomorrow's) book to turn in after Endwalker starts.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    I rerolled 2 lines this week while still at 7/9. I then, of course, missed 3 lines by one sticker

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Since the Woundrous Tails reset is tomorrow, just a reminder that you can hold this week's(as in tomorrow's) book to turn in after Endwalker starts.

I just picked this thing up yesterday!

Bleh. Guess I haven't actually started it at least.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

I just picked this thing up yesterday!

Bleh. Guess I haven't actually started it at least.

books last through one reset - you have 2 weeks to finish a book from the start of its week

you just can't pick up the new book on reset until you've finished the one you're holding

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Neveron wrote: »
    When it comes to primals tempering people, it's mostly just within their own control. If you summon the primal you're channeling their energies and get auto-tempered, but once they're actually out it requires some degree of active effort on part of the primal.

And different primals have different attitudes.
    Ifrit loves tempering people, so he does it at every chance. (Hence why his method became the standard terminology for enthrallment, although you still sometimes hear about Leviathan's "drowned" and Odin's "sundered".)
    Titan, meanwhile, just wants the overdwellers dead and doesn't even bother. IIRC the Company of Heroes didn't even have anyone with the Echo? You'll note how Southern Thanalan and Western La Noscea have a bunch of tempered thralls but Outer La Noscea and the East Shroud... don't.

Susano meanwhile just wants to party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHXa74q4fjY

manwiththemachinegun on
This discussion has been closed.