As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV]: Endwalker! Game sales resume Jan. 25th. USE SPOILER TAGS.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    results of running Skalla 14 times through duty finder:
    ytqsy3h1t6du.png
    Some thoughts: I was up against other collectors for about 1/4 runs, but most players just ignore all loot.
    I greeded everything and desynthed/sold all jewellery and belts.
    I think that has netted me about an extra 2,000 gil per run.
    I only played as healer or tank (depending on mood) for faster queues, Somehow I got all tanking gear when on healer and vice versa. Obviously just the randomness and a small sample size, but still funny.

I'll probably do this more once I'm level 90 and out of new stuff to dick around with. I really hope that they'll upgrade the levels of my squadron at some point, so i can dress them all in this fancy gear.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Aldo wrote: »
    results of running Skalla 14 times through duty finder:
    ytqsy3h1t6du.png
    Some thoughts: I was up against other collectors for about 1/4 runs, but most players just ignore all loot.
    I greeded everything and desynthed/sold all jewellery and belts.
    I think that has netted me about an extra 2,000 gil per run.
    I only played as healer or tank (depending on mood) for faster queues, Somehow I got all tanking gear when on healer and vice versa. Obviously just the randomness and a small sample size, but still funny.

I'll probably do this more once I'm level 90 and out of new stuff to dick around with. I really hope that they'll upgrade the levels of my squadron at some point, so i can dress them all in this fancy gear.

Oh yeah, I was thinking of running Skalla for the tank set for a Gunbreaker glam.

• Options
    Yep, big goofy grin after I was done with Eden's Verge: Refulgence, or E8N or whatever the cool kids call it.

Heh, cool kids, geddit

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Yep, big goofy grin after I was done with Eden's Verge: Refulgence, or E8N or whatever the cool kids call it.

Heh, cool kids, geddit

Return to Oblivion is one of the best tracks in the game.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, I also finished my Resistance weapon and why is it so ugly? I've immediately glamed over it with the 3rd weapon (with the subtle red glow). It did feel good to finish a Relic weapon, though. Never done that before.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I sold a return to oblivion for a cool 4.5m

• Options
    Aldo wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I also finished my Resistance weapon and why is it so ugly? I've immediately glamed over it with the 3rd weapon (with the subtle red glow). It did feel good to finish a Relic weapon, though. Never done that before.

Yeah, I'm... not really a fan of any of the finished Resistance weapons?

Endwalker will be the first time I'm around for the actual start of a new tier of them, so that'll be interesting.

• Options
    On that note, it's the seven-year anniversary of getting my first relic weapon.

d0z55wnnp8pk.png

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    After a ton of procrastinating I finally got my last job to 80.

I am so tired of Zadnor, holy shit.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    what I need to do: get DRK to 70, get SCH/SMN to 80, finish Binding Coils, finish role quests, finish 5.5-5.55.

what I'm doing: farming Skalla for mog. Farming Turn 2 for irregular tomestones.

• Options
    Come on, ya gits

g3cti04cb9xk.png

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Come on, ya gits

g3cti04cb9xk.png

wow this is cursed

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    FFXIV characters have zero ass, a choice I find absolutely baffling

Japanese aesthetics are usually all about thighs instead of butts.

I have no particular insight to offer as to why that is but it's definitely a thing.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    One of my only beefs with shadowbringer is that I really don't like the dungeons. They look good and have cool plot, but it feels like every mob has a zillion hp, and the dungeons feel super long. Getting an off class from 70 to 80 feels like such a grind.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    One of my only beefs with shadowbringer is that I really don't like the dungeons. They look good and have cool plot, but it feels like every mob has a zillion hp, and the dungeons feel super long. Getting an off class from 70 to 80 feels like such a grind.

This is interesting, cause it set me to thinking, why should we be dealing with random trash mobs in a dungeon? They don't bring mechanics to the table, and resources are replenished after every fight so D&D endurance rules don't matter. They aren't a penalty for taking the wrong path since we're on rails. What would stop a Dev from dropping mobs out of a dungeon and inserting maybe more minibosses instead, maybe 1 being a rush of weak enemies to emphasize the hordes you cut through to reach the bigger stuff? Like, what's the design space for that, making it so every dungeon encounter actually matters and contributes to the theming of an MMO dungeon?

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    zadnor is a lot faster than dungeons

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Matev wrote: »

This is interesting, cause it set me to thinking, why should we be dealing with random trash mobs in a dungeon? They don't bring mechanics to the table, and resources are replenished after every fight so D&D endurance rules don't matter. They aren't a penalty for taking the wrong path since we're on rails. What would stop a Dev from dropping mobs out of a dungeon and inserting maybe more minibosses instead, maybe 1 being a rush of weak enemies to emphasize the hordes you cut through to reach the bigger stuff? Like, what's the design space for that, making it so every dungeon encounter actually matters and contributes to the theming of an MMO dungeon?

Pacing? Time sink? Tradition?

It’s a good question. WoW dungeon trash actually has mechanics and is a huge challenge in high difficulty levels, but FFXIV focuses its mechanical design on bosses. It does seem vestigial at this point, but a dungeon without any trash would feel… really weird.

They did take trash out of raids after Heavensward, so they’re not tied to tradition.

• Options
    In Sb it feels like they're more stat tests. Like the trash mobs still put out a ton of damage and have a ton of health, the better geared you are the more you can pull and the faster you can get through them. They can actually be tougher to keep up with than the bosses, where you can be decently undergeared if you know their moves.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I do miss WoW's weird and wonderful trash in both dungeons and raids sometime.

Uldar had peak "trash" design and I kinda loved them.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    In Sb it feels like they're more stat tests. Like the trash mobs still put out a ton of damage and have a ton of health, the better geared you are the more you can pull and the faster you can get through them. They can actually be tougher to keep up with than the bosses, where you can be decently undergeared if you know their moves.

Yeah, every once in a while I'll pull a bit too hard as a tank when my DPS is undergeared/ inexperienced and you get punished HARD for that. The last bit before Therion in Amarout is hell for a party that's not putting out enough damage.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I’d rather do the dungeons to level up than zadnor, because Bozja and that entire system of throwbacks to old school punishing grinds are so repellant to me I’d rather not play the game at all than deal with them anymore.

I did that ‘finish both bozja raids for some really good loot’ quest earlier along with the final steps in the relic weapon after putting it off for a long time and everything about it was complete anti-fun. The slow grind for ranks, the death penalty, the bosses that just exacerbated the penalty, the grouping system, everything. In seven days I’m gonna forget that place ever existed, and good riddance.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    I feel like I would still be trying to get jobs to 80 if I had tried using Zadnor to do it. I would be in there a few minutes and then have to log out because I no longer felt like playing the game. Bozja and that raid you unlock at Rank 10 were fine but Zadnor was not at all a place I wanted to be.

• Options
    Seg wrote: »
    I feel like I would still be trying to get jobs to 80 if I had tried using Zadnor to do it. I would be in there a few minutes and then have to log out because I no longer felt like playing the game. Bozja and that raid you unlock at Rank 10 were fine but Zadnor was not at all a place I wanted to be.

I'm feeling that way about Pagos right now. I could deal with Anemos because after the initial confusion and learning part I got into a groove, but then Pagos just completely drains the desire to keep playing and I leave the duty.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    you find all kinds of people running around the cities, like an average Japanese high school boy

advw4fm.png

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    grumble grumble

8nbj575c1s7t.png

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Just finished the Save the Queen questline
    Stop making sexy roe women, and then killing them off!

And boy, do they expand characters lore in those notes. ‘Oh yeah, Gabranth was killed by Lyon… or was he?’

Muzzmuzz on
  • Options
    Just starting on 5.3
    WTF, where's thancred?? Where's Urianger?? Where's all the responsible adults???

I'm the warrior of light, I can't be trusted around children! I'll probably give them a grenade!

6opunrovw4v4.jpg

My uninformed theory right now about what scion guy is up to:

We were already told that the scions can make more junior scions somehow, and from what I recall a lot of the qualities that are causing people to become warriors of light also make them good targets as scions. And also, well, obv we need more baddies for the next expansion, odds have to be way against us, not everybody vs 1 when we've already beat up his two friends.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    We were already told that the scions can make more junior scions somehow, and from what I recall a lot of the qualities that are causing people to become warriors of light also make them good targets as scions. And also, well, obv we need more baddies for the next expansion, odds have to be way against us, not everybody vs 1 when we've already beat up his two friends.

...you mean Ascians? You're the scions.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »

...you mean Ascians? You're the scions.
    I think it was supposed to be Paragons in this context.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Clearly art from another game, no miqote has an ass like that

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Just starting on 5.3
    WTF, where's thancred?? Where's Urianger?? Where's all the responsible adults???

I'm the warrior of light, I can't be trusted around children! I'll probably give them a grenade!

6opunrovw4v4.jpg

My uninformed theory right now about what scion guy is up to:

thancred and urianger aren't around because they're occupied with the eden story, you should do the parts of it that are available to you in conjunction with the MSQ imo for the timelines to match up

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Does the moogle tomestone event end on the official release of Endwalker (Tuesday Dec. 7) or the early access release of 6.0 (this Friday Dec. 3)?

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    I think it ends on the second when the servers come down to do the patch for the third.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    it'll be the third.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    They said it's until the release of Patch 6.0 and that's happening on early access day, not official for-accounting-purposes day.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    once the servers go down wednesday night, the event is over

• Options
    I've pretty much ignored my retainers as anything other than inventory/MB bots, but now I've decided to start leveling them. Is there any particular reason to pick specific jobs for them?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I've pretty much ignored my retainers as anything other than inventory/MB bots, but now I've decided to start leveling them. Is there any particular reason to pick specific jobs for them?

There are really only four retainer jobs. Fisher, Botanist, Miner, and anything else. It affects what items you can send them out after (combat jobs do monster drops, the others are self explanatory) and what other exploration list they can do (field, etc)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
This discussion has been closed.