As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US Congress] Is A Thing

19495969798100»

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Sinema didn’t win because she convinced a bunch of Republican-leaning voters she was the light. She won because she had progressive activists knocking on doors for her and getting the base out. She is blatantly and egregiously betraying the people who put her in office.

Fair or not, if progressives don't get her kicked out in the primary the media are going to call it the death knell of progressives and the party is going to ostracize their own progressives as much as possible.

Thankfully Arizona has a sore loser law so Sinema can't pull a Lieberman.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I think it’s a given at this point they are going to primary the shit out of her.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    I think it’s a given at this point they are going to primary the shit out of her.

Oh it's happening, but they need to win like their movement depends on it. Heck, the bigger the margin the better. Make Sinema an example of what happens when you pull bullshit like hers.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Brian Schatz has Covid. So unless they let his vote count without actually being there, we don't have the votes for any legislation without Republicans for the time being.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    The most obvious answer is that she's being bribed. She probably knows she's a one-termer, so she's cashing out.

That said, she might also just be a total fucking moron and primma donna.

She's a one-termer because of this behavior which is why it's so confusing. Nevada isn't a deep red state like West Virginia.

Arizona. It's fairly red, but even so this isn't going to help her.

It's pink/purple. Biden won it and it has two Dem Senators now. I feel like if she just toed the party line enough for an average approval rating she'd be fine.

If she basically just played "I'm Mark Kelly minus the having gone to space bit" she'd be just fuckin' fine, but noooooooo. We gotta get whatever the fuck this performative nonsense is.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Is there a reason Dems don’t just bat everything back and forth and actually pass legislation on a regular basis? I’m not trying to be shitty, I’m legitimately asking if this trick could be used more frequently.

There is not trick that gets around the filibuster. Other then reconciliation anyway.

This trick they are using to pass voting rights absolutely gets around the filibuster? Unless you mean that they have to pass a carveout for it during this process.

they do

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Is there a reason Dems don’t just bat everything back and forth and actually pass legislation on a regular basis? I’m not trying to be shitty, I’m legitimately asking if this trick could be used more frequently.

There is not trick that gets around the filibuster. Other then reconciliation anyway.

This trick they are using to pass voting rights absolutely gets around the filibuster? Unless you mean that they have to pass a carveout for it during this process.

Are they doing any trick? The only thing I've heard about them doing that actually can get this passed is changing the filibuster rules.

Changing the rules can't be filibustered, it's just a matter of if half the people in the Senate want to.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    The most obvious answer is that she's being bribed. She probably knows she's a one-termer, so she's cashing out.

That said, she might also just be a total fucking moron and primma donna.

She's a one-termer because of this behavior which is why it's so confusing. Nevada isn't a deep red state like West Virginia.

Arizona. It's fairly red, but even so this isn't going to help her.

It's pink/purple. Biden won it and it has two Dem Senators now. I feel like if she just toed the party line enough for an average approval rating she'd be fine.

If she basically just played "I'm Mark Kelly minus the having gone to space bit" she'd be just fuckin' fine, but noooooooo. We gotta get whatever the fuck this performative nonsense is.

Mark Kelly already knows he's awesome because he went to space. He doesn't have to prove anything.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2022

they do

Yes, as far as I understand it the only thing going on here is that this process allows them to get to some point where they can then just propose a specific exemption to the filibuster for this bill. Which obviously still needs to be voted on.

shryke on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Well they aren't going to change the filibuster they're just going to use the back and forth text difference in a bill loophole to move it back and forth between the Senate and the House 3 times so it *can't* be filibustered and will have to be brought to the floor for debate and a vote.

I'd say she's mad she won't be able to hide behind a filibuster anymore, but that would imply that she even gives enough of a shit to be mad.

It can still be Filibustered, they just can't Filibuster the Motion to Proceed which prevents it from coming to the floor to be Filibustered in the first place.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

they do

I see.

So what is the purpose of going back and forth if they’re just going to have to pass a carveout anyway? Senate procedure is so fucking arcane and ridiculous. I make active efforts to understand it and still come up short.

• Options
    The trick I am referring to is the “messages between the houses” thing Schumer put out there.

Article on what I am referencing:

https://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/amp/ncna1287395

• Options

they do

I see.

So what is the purpose of going back and forth if they’re just going to have to pass a carveout anyway? Senate procedure is so fucking arcane and ridiculous. I make active efforts to understand it and still come up short.

So they can point to Republican votes against the Act itself rather than to procedural votes and not have fact checkers push up their glasses because acshually...

Plus a Hail Mary that Manchin and Sinema vote for the rules change and then they can maybe manage to pass the damn thing somehow

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    New thread for same [censored]?

• Options