As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Turning out a New Third Age [WoT TV show] [for Book readers]

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Edit spoilers
    I don't know if they ripped out the saidar and tainted saidin or have the showrunners mentioned it explicitly?
    For me WOT is also about Rand continued struggle against the crazy.
    Maybe it's a closed guarded secret that males can channel and go crazy because of touching the source or not that well known in the two rivers.
    Maybe we get the exposition next episode when they meet the red ae sedai.

They've definitely alluded to it but not gotten into the specifics of why any of it is the way it is.
    Moiraine's voiceover in the opening of act 1 touches on it, and then a lot of the background materials they have available get a little bit more into how its the result of counterstrike from the sealing. I don't know if they've gone so far as to mention saidin and saidar yet.

In the show they talk about it in a super weird way that makes it feel like they've completely changed the way it all works. But I'm pretty sure they haven't and they are just being really awkward with the writing for whatever reason.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Another really basic thing they fucked up is that the Dragon is pretty much literally worse than Hitler. Even with those who know the actual prophecies in full and the true history talking about the Dragon Reborn is like talking about how wildfires are necessary to keep forests healthy.

Instead it's just a generic chosen one thing.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Oh shit, in the official aftershow that's airing on YouTube right now, Marcus Rutherford just dropped a spoiler on who we'll see later in the season
    Book 2 and apparently later this season spoiler
    the Seanchan. Maybe we'll see their invasion start at the end to set up the season 2 stuff, as they're basically already landed when the book starts.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Oh that's pretty interesting indeed

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    That was actually fairly predictable given prior comments from staff that the first season would include Book 2 elements

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Maybe, but a lot of us assumed that would be stuff from the start of the book as a bridge/cliffhanger.

book 2/future series events
    Makes me wonder if it'll be more than BIG SQUARE RIGGED SHIPS pulling into sight of land, will we see a dude dressed like a samurai insect saying "Howdy Folks! Ya'll like that Hawkwing round these here parts?"

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Maybe, but a lot of us assumed that would be stuff from the start of the book as a bridge/cliffhanger.

Makes me wonder if it'll be more than BIG SQUARE RIGGED SHIPS pulling into sight of land, will we see a dude dressed like a samurai insect saying "Howdy Folks! Ya'll like that Hawkwing round these here parts?"
    if you say Yes do they accept it, or does anybody who doesn't say Yup have to reswear the oaths.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Accents, Book 2:
    I am unable to visualize them making the white skinhead slavers have straight up Texas accents.

I would lose my mind and the show would immediately be cancelled, but I would champion these show runners until the day I die.

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »

Accents, Book 2:
    I am unable to visualize them making the white skinhead slavers have straight up Texas accents.

I would lose my mind and the show would immediately be cancelled, but I would champion these show runners until the day I die.
    Maybe don't make them all Texans. Just a whole melange of accents associated with the Confederacy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Those animated shorts have some of the worst audio mixing I have ever heard. The voiceover in the first one is completely inaudible.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Those animated shorts have some of the worst audio mixing I have ever heard. The voiceover in the first one is completely inaudible.

The third is even worse, especially since there was no captions option in the XRay content. I spent like 40 minutes on a support chat with Amazon trying to convince them it was a real thing. They kept blaming it on my browser and stuff saying it worked for them even after I sent them screenshots,but I still think they were looking at the main video player. I did eventually tell them to just submit it as feedback to the dev team as an accessibility issue that needs addressing. I also at-ed the Amazon Prime Video account that was in the live YouTube stream today, so maybe there's some eyeballs on the issue.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    I liked Thom but his present circumstances/attitude definitely seem different from book Thom.
    Books 1 and 2
    Book Thom was a former court bard as well as accomplished spy and intriguer. And despite how much he talks up how grand it is be a Gleeman, even better than those lousy bards, you can tell a lot of that is just posturing. He misses the life he gave up, and you can tell how much by quality of his instruments and the care he takes.

I think they'll probably be able to do good things with this Thom, but it's definitely not the same.

I'm interesting in what it is about show Thom that makes you think this.
    I didn't really think anything in his scenes so far have been incompatible with someone that secretly misses their old life.

• Options
    Hellbore wrote: »
    I liked Thom but his present circumstances/attitude definitely seem different from book Thom.
    Books 1 and 2
    Book Thom was a former court bard as well as accomplished spy and intriguer. And despite how much he talks up how grand it is be a Gleeman, even better than those lousy bards, you can tell a lot of that is just posturing. He misses the life he gave up, and you can tell how much by quality of his instruments and the care he takes.

I think they'll probably be able to do good things with this Thom, but it's definitely not the same.

I'm interesting in what it is about show Thom that makes you think this.
    I didn't really think anything in his scenes so far have been incompatible with someone that secretly misses their old life.
    Book Thom has the Gleeman cloak, but he's also generally kind of grandiose in a lot of his interactions. He basically always performs like he's entertaining nobles, even in small village. And his instruments are a fancy harp and a flute with gold and silver ornamentation.

Show Thom is crustier. He's singing country blues (a great song IMO) with an old guitar. I think the important bits are there, like how he'll be an important mentor, and I'm pretty sure they'll work his backstory and those elements in quite well.

I guess I'd say the main vibe I get off book Thom is Distinguished, where with show Thom, it's Cool.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Apparently, the show had an extremely strong opening.

Definitely an encouraging sign as far as getting the whole series on screen. Hopefully they'll be able to convince Amazon to do 10 or 12-episode seasons. I think a lot of issues in these opening episodes could've solved if they were playing with two or so more hours.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Edit spoilers
    I don't know if they ripped out the saidar and tainted saidin or have the showrunners mentioned it explicitly?
    For me WOT is also about Rand continued struggle against the crazy.
    Maybe it's a closed guarded secret that males can channel and go crazy because of touching the source or not that well known in the two rivers.
    Maybe we get the exposition next episode when they meet the red ae sedai.

They've definitely alluded to it but not gotten into the specifics of why any of it is the way it is.
    Moiraine's voiceover in the opening of act 1 touches on it, and then a lot of the background materials they have available get a little bit more into how its the result of counterstrike from the sealing. I don't know if they've gone so far as to mention saidin and saidar yet.

In the show they talk about it in a super weird way that makes it feel like they've completely changed the way it all works. But I'm pretty sure they haven't and they are just being really awkward with the writing for whatever reason.

Being only passingly familiar with the books, but I did play the video game back in the day, I feel they are doing this mostly because you have to make every show a "mystery box" for an audience in some way. It's probably going to be some massive supposedly surprising reveal later in the series or some such thing. Alternatively, they've just decided that they wanted to change this and make this aspect of WoT, which actually differentiates it from a lot of other similar fantasy stuff, into just another generic chosen one ideal.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    edit: spoilered for huge, not actual spoilers
    b0zve4h0uf181.jpg

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    I did look closer at some of "general trivia" content in x-ray and does actually mention saidin and saidar and seems to generally line up with book lore.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    It's way, way more likely they haven't mentioned saidin and saidar for the sake of new viewers.

Spoiler for Episodes 1-3:
    They haven't mentioned the Five Powers, either, but we clearly see Moiraine working with elements during Winternight.

I know we've spent a lot of time debating the various changes, but they haven't actually cut any major story beats or lore, only moved things around or added new stuff.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I guess you can technically say they haven't cut anything yet, as the show is still running. They could theoretically have anything show up later.

But it's been cut from where it's supposed to appear.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I am guessing they are waiting to introduce the made up words until they go into more detail about the Aes Sedai, and specifically the deal with the red ajah.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    This coming episode might be a good time to go into that stuff since
    Moraine and co. just joined up with Liandrin's group and they have Logain captive with them.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Wasn't the first book super vague on all this stuff? I feel like the nature of magic was drip fed and mostly focus on Saidar. The scene with the necklace feels about right this far into the story.

• Options
    Yeah, first book was pretty vague, and there's a fair amount of stuff in both it and the second that are pretty different from how a lot of the channeling ends up being. Most notably
    book 1 and 2 endings
    Rand's fight with Ba'alzemon at the Eye and at Falme. Though the first is probably taking place in tel'aran'rhiod as Rand had a tendency to just hang out there physically all the time even when he didn't know what or how he was doing it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I am guessing they are waiting to introduce the made up words until they go into more detail about the Aes Sedai, and specifically the deal with the red ajah.

Per Pike
    Ep 6 gets into a fair amount of Aes Sedai stuff at least.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Wasn't the first book super vague on all this stuff? I feel like the nature of magic was drip fed and mostly focus on Saidar. The scene with the necklace feels about right this far into the story.

The basic stuff is all in there. Saidin/Saidar, the Taint, Taveren, etc, etc.

The necklace scene from the show is pretty close to what's in the book but in the book there's a much more specific explanation of how the One Power works and all that.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    When they get to Crossroads of Twilight I want them to have the balls to dedicate entire episodes to people openly describing the forest around them and nothing else happening

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    When they get to Crossroads of Twilight I want them to have the balls to dedicate entire episodes to people openly describing the forest around them and nothing else happening

An entire hour long episode that is nothing but montage of long ponderous helicopter and scenery shots

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

An entire hour long episode that is nothing but montage of long ponderous helicopter and scenery shots

Like those videos designed by TV manufacturers to show off 4k

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    To be fair, with some of the scenery shots we've had so far.... I might be into that?

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    That would be pretty fitting for one of those book opening “a wind blows…” montage shots over the land to open up a season.

• Options

The show already likes it big LOTR sweeping vista shots.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    shryke wrote: »

The show already likes it big LOTR sweeping vista shots.

They're really good shots.

I think every editor I know became hooked on the show the moment they had that match cut at the end of episode 3.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular

i would laugh and cry so hard if they did it.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »

i would laugh and cry so hard if they did it.

No, they need to dedicate 1/3rd of the episode to properly explaining how to handwash silk clothing.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    what about an episode about sifting weevils out of grain?

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I hope Crossroads is 1 episode. Maybe not even a real episode, just film it and smash it into the "previously on."

• Options
    Rafe Judkins did an AMA on Reddit. Spoilers abound but he had some really great answers to a lot of questions.
    My personal favorite: Book 2 spoiler
    Who is playing Selene?
    Lanfear.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Rafe Judkins did an AMA on Reddit. Spoilers abound but he had some really great answers to a lot of questions.
    My personal favorite: Book 2 spoiler
    Who is playing Selene?
    Lanfear.

The best answer in there (possible very minor spoilers about a certain horse who may or may not be more than she appears):

Literally, everyone in horse department knows everything about Bela. There are many elderly czech men who have an eye on Bela's long-term arc in the show and they don't even know what the Wheel of Time is.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Oh shit one of the later on questions brought the awful audio mixing and lack of captions in the bonus videos to his attention, so he's going to have someone look into it. I guess there's no guarantees anything actually happens when trying to get Amazon to do a thing, but having the actual showrunner for the whole thing acknowledging something as an accessibility issue that needs fixed is great.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    And that says that the reason why an upcoming character looks so different in leaked images is because...their budget is too low.

Hilarious.

uyvfOQy.png