As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy the 14th: End of the World Starts Now!

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/100b4b0f4ab853c7089ab68239a8505e75541ab1
    To make up for the login issues, everyone that's subbed on December 7th gets a free week of sub time, with potentially more coming if problems persist

BRB resubbing.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Holy shit, the 2002s when trying to connect to the lobby itself are caused when there’s more than 17000 people in the queue. How the hell…

That’s not normal congestion that’ll clear up easy

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    The challenges of trying to scale an MMO that has tripled in size, and doing it in five months, are showing.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    The fact that the servers are so stable once you actually get in I think is indicative that they're also being very aggressive with the player cap.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    The challenges of trying to scale an MMO that has tripled in size, and doing it in five months, are showing.

Especially when you have a decade of legacy as your base. Will be interesting to see the effects of what they'll do to tackle that.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Be warned, everyone- the ending’s in the wild on YouTube and elsewhere.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    What if we rise up against the people who have been online long enough to reach the ending already! They must be stopped

• Options
    Woo, got to see my first real-life "why are you running" meme in Void Ark.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/100b4b0f4ab853c7089ab68239a8505e75541ab1
    To make up for the login issues, everyone that's subbed on December 7th gets a free week of sub time, with potentially more coming if problems persist

I'm sure other WoW vets will have better info, but I played from Vanilla through Legion and these issues are nothing.

I'm glad the SE team is paying attention and providing compensation. Multiple WoW Day 1 login issues/queues weren't addressed or compensates.

I can recall maybe 2 times that WoW players were credited game time and one of those wasn't related to an expansion launch

I remember they did it more back in vanilla when they had more serious "no one can play" days at release and occasionally with major patch days

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    shit I remember previous ff14 releases. when ARR launched you couldn't do dungeons because there were no instances for them

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    What if we rise up against the people who have been online long enough to reach the ending already! They must be stopped
    2lqjmjot1vw5.jpg

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    the usual tricks to stay logged in don't seem to work(opening hud ui), but of course there still are ones. the one I know of wouldn't work while dancing but it also doesn't seem to be wide spread

I started out at 96 yesterday and logged in at the same time today and started out at 1400, so it's getting worse

Jars on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I’m level 79 on Sage now. Definitely getting more comfortable with the spec and with using Eukrasia.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Up the 87 dungeon. And stuff starts really going places as you get deeper into the MSQ. It's so good.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I guess I chose a bad time to jump back into my level 30 something bard free trial. Even without the errors, apparently they won't put free trial accounts in the queue now, which is weird because I know I've been in one before, although much smaller I assume.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Those 20-40 person daily login queues that happen aren't real queues so much as they're more like just the traffic cop to keep things orderly as characters are processed into the world.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Ah ok. I'll just hold off until things calm down. I'm no where near ready to sub at this point. I'd just be paying for content I already have access to.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

Especially when you have a decade of legacy as your base. Will be interesting to see the effects of what they'll do to tackle that.

and when you very literally can't expand servers because of multi-year ongoing material shortages.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

Free sub time makes me wonder if they're seeing a dip in subscriptions this weekend as folks are unable to play.

I'm a bit disappointed by the "flex your playtime" statement.

Definitely don't want to be the middle manager that has to handle the pressure from upper management and the reality coming from the boots on the ground technicians.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Played pretty much all yesterday, got Sage up to 75 and really enjoying it. Low level dungeons are even more easy mode than healing as a scholar since you just DPS the whole time. Still a bit tricky later on when the tank is pulling huge I am using Eurkrasia so much sometimes it becomes automatic and you end up dropping a shield heal instead of a normal heal when you need a normal heal. The damage mitigation skills are very handy and you seem to get more than a couple.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Thought maybe today would be different.

Hour and half in queue, down to 47, 2002, and now back to another dozen 2002's, or more, before I can probably get back in queue, at the end, for another couple hours in queue, to probably get booted again.

It took 8 hours to get in yesterday.

Lets see how long it takes today.

EDIT: oh a 4004 error that time. Is that like a double 2002? I don't even know what that one means.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I have found much better luck using the older launcher. Click the gear at the top of the launcher and check the 'use older launcher' or whatever its called. It lets me get back in faster maximizing the chance to get back into my spot in queue. Strongly suggest.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Back at the end of the queue, of course, 10 minutes of 2002 errors after the 4004, which followed half a dozen 2002's. Twice as long as it was when I got in line earlier. 2-3 hours at best before I get a chance to get in, if I'm lucky.

I predict no less than 10 2002's in that time, and my luck would have to be immaculate to manage to break through the 2002 barrier to get back in place at each inevitable one.

I just assume, at this point, I might be in this evening around dinner time, which is great, because that's when I can't play! I've had all weekend to myself to play the game, and I've gotten to play maybe 1/4 of the time I have had free. That's being generous.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Thought maybe today would be different.

Hour and half in queue, down to 47, 2002, and now back to another dozen 2002's, or more, before I can probably get back in queue, at the end, for another couple hours in queue, to probably get booted again.

It took 8 hours to get in yesterday.

Lets see how long it takes today.

EDIT: oh a 4004 error that time. Is that like a double 2002? I don't even know what that one means.

According to the news post, the 4004, 5003, and 5006 are related to the login server timing out for your connection (server side).

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Aaaand those are credits. Definitely letting them roll this time.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Grain of salt because this may be coincidence or luck.

After multiple "2002" errors yesterday and the day before without my queue getting below 2500 (usually starting around 3k) I queued up again and before crashing out I swapped my launcher to windowed mode and minimized it so I could do other stuff while re-upping my login after more 2002 errors.

With the launcher minimized I queued from 3600 to being ingame without a problem.

Going to try it again today to see if I can duplicate the circumstance.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2021

Free sub time makes me wonder if they're seeing a dip in subscriptions this weekend as folks are unable to play.

I desperately want to meet the person who goes "it's hard to play for the first three days of a brand-new expansion I've been looking forward to? DELETE SUB."

Actually... no, I don't.

admanb on
  • Options
    I just read the post about queue times and compensation, and honestly it pissed me off in a way that I've never been pissed off at XIV or the devs.

All the "problems" with the 2002 or 4004 errors, etc, were put on the players connection or hardware.

Bull. Shit.

Fucking bullshit.

I've got gigabit fiber. I haven't lost internet for well over a year, at least, never disconnect from online games, including XIV, unless there's a problem on their side. First day of D3 seasons, or data center issues in XIV like ddos's, etc. Stream 4K and HD content on multiple devices around the house at the same time, every god damned day, and still can be playing games with zero latency when that's happening.
    Absolutely nothing is wrong with my connection, and it's insulting to have all the explanations centered around the players hardware or internet connection, when these problems are all arising due entirely to problems on SE's end.

It was an unusually shitty take by a team that has historically owned up to their shortcomings, and it took me off guard how much it pissed me off.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I’m level 79 on Sage now. Definitely getting more comfortable with the spec and with using Eukrasia.

I'm one dungeon run away from 80, and yeah, I like it. It's pretty hectic, constant button mashing and you really need to not get tunnel vision on spamming Dosis.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    admanb wrote: »

I desperately want to meet the person who goes "it's hard to play for the first three days of a brand-new expansion I've been looking forward to? DELETE SUB."

Actually... no, I don't.

I dunno; I was in that same mindset of "jeez people, just deal with it, it's normal" for years playing WoW or other games, where launches would be clusterfucks. EDIT: Likely the shift is due to me getting older, getting a family, and my kids growing up. I have lots of time to game, for sure, but that time is specific, if I miss a window, I just can't play. Usually not a huge deal, and historically XIV has been reliably there when I can play something. It is a much larger deal when the thing I'm trying to play, have paid to play, and desire to play, is unavailable for avoidable reasons. And a bit of self centeredness is appropriate here, because I've paid for this. And no, I'm not trying to pull the "I've paid this much for so long" card. I got what I paid for. This isn't about what is owed to me for loyalty; I know that's not a thing in business in this day in age. It's that I've specifically paid to play this game, right now.

It's 2021. There are plenty of services out there that have exponentially more users than an MMO, who provide dramatically more bandwidth, constantly, and do so with extremely rare problems, usually arising from something unpredictable (major storm knocking out a data center, ddos attack, host/provider having issues, etc), so it's well past the time where an MMO that has tons of internal data on player numbers, playtime, peak hours, etc, should still be having this profound of issues. Yes, I know hardware shortages has reduced SE's ability to do any major upgrades to current data centers, or open the new data center, but the dev team has been watching the numbers this past year, and even outside of the limitations of covid, they could have done some work to prep temporarily for EW launch. There's no reason they couldn't have partnered with AWS or Google, Microsoft, or any number of other providers to set up some short term systems to handle login problems, designed a more stable queue system, etc. And yes, I know that the team was extremely busy making EW; but SE should have stepped up and provided more resources and manpower to make sure that such an important release went more smoothly.

Regardless, if someone cancels their sub because of this, what is it to you? Why shouldn't they, if they want to? It's shitty. I've wasted the majority of my weekend babysitting a queue to try to play the game. Yes, I could have done something else, but this is what I wanted to do. This is what I paid to do. If they want to speak with their wallet, more power to them, and it's asinine to criticize them for it. It's shittier to attack them with the attitude of "you should just deal with it". Why? Why should they? If I go pay for food at a restaurant, and instead of serving me with a reasonable amount of time, they almost make my food, drop it on the floor in front of me, then I have to ask them a dozen times to start making it again, before it all repeats, for hours, until finally I can get my food, wasting an entire day...should that be ok? Particularly if that restaurant was a place you go to normally with no problems. And then one day that shit. It would be concerning! You might reconsider frequenting them. Particularly if a manager comes out and says, "yeah, here's a voucher for a meal, but you should probably check your issues, because it looks like this was your fault.

I mean, just change the scenario to some other service. How does that notion stand up, that "how petty of someone to not want to pay for a service they're not getting, when they paid to get it". It's idiotic.

Plus, EW will still be there later, that person can come back on their own terms if they want to play it later, without all the needless bullshit of launch weekend. SE just loses money.

We're way way way way way past the era where it was justifiable to defend a company for stumbling on a launch, and way past that to justifiably defend a company that has a decade of experience for this game alone, and still making the same mistakes. Sure, I'm extra salty right now because of the shitty notice on the connection issues, putting the blame on me. How profoundly insulting to imply that, suddenly, when their game is shitting itself trying to even work, that their players are plagued with all these connection problems, when they didn't have them before, and the only difference between any other day is XIV's problems. As I said, it was an unusual misstep by YoshiP, or whoever wrote it, when they've usually owned up to their shortcomings. By all means, add some information for players to give a try, to see if it helps, but don't suggest that the majority of the errors people are getting is because of connection or packet loss issues on the player side. When, again, those same players were probably playing earlier this week with no such issues. And there aren't enough players in the world playing FFXIV to have it cause that many problems for ISP's; when dramatically more people use other services every day, more frequently, and for longer periods, than FFXIV.

In short, stop defending companies for providing subpar service, when they didn't have to, and then blaming customers who are rightfully frustrated by the needless bullshit. No, the customer is not always right, and it could very well be that a person who wants to cancel their sub over this is overreacting or misunderstanding something. But they're not getting a service they're paying for, so why should they pay? And why is it still viewed as justifiable to say "lol of course it was going to be shitty, why u mad bro?". What the fuck is even that?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    In my experience, which so far has just been dungeon running, the passive healing for Kardia+Dosis isn't enough to keep a tank up. Not by a longshot. I am constantly having to use real heal spells. On top of that, when tanks do big pulls, it takes everything I have to keep them up. Some of that might be changes in values due to the scaling, but I'm finding that I literally have to chain cast on pretty much every tank I've grouped with in the last 2 days. That includes using the heal with the 10% DR attached on cooldown, and using the re-stacking shield Haima. Depending, I try to use the DR heal on one pull and Haima on the next, and alternate them so I always have at least something. But sometimes I also have to blow everything I've got.

Long story short, I find myself doing a lot less DPSing than I thought I'd be doing. Even on bosses. Instances in Shadowbringers are much more difficult than older instances, and there's a LOT of unavoidable group damage. I find myself using AoE heals a whole lot.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I've been dealing with the expansion by not exiting the game. I'll log out at night, go to the character screen, mute, and turn off the monitor.

No need to deal with the launcher.

• Options
    CorriganX wrote: »
    I have found much better luck using the older launcher. Click the gear at the top of the launcher and check the 'use older launcher' or whatever its called. It lets me get back in faster maximizing the chance to get back into my spot in queue. Strongly suggest.
    Khraul wrote: »

After multiple "2002" errors yesterday and the day before without my queue getting below 2500 (usually starting around 3k) I queued up again and before crashing out I swapped my launcher to windowed mode and minimized it so I could do other stuff while re-upping my login after more 2002 errors.

With the launcher minimized I queued from 3600 to being ingame without a problem.

i'm trying both of these things right now because i've reached the point of willing to try any superstition

and so far so good. i swapped after a 2002 and got right back into the queue in my spot in line and didn't have to fight lobby crashes.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    XIV Launcher is even faster than the older launcher, FYI.

• Options
    Another dozen 2002 errors, back at the end of the line again. 3 hours of trying and am further away than I was in the beginning. This weekend was the only time I will have had a large enough chunk of time to really dig into Endwalker till after the holidays.

I would be fully within reason to cancel my sub, because it'll be a month or so before I can do more than just peter through a quest or so every couple days. Except I do my sub in 6mo segments, because it's been reliable enough to not even worry about it.

But yeah, if folks can't see any justification for people being frustrated enough to cancel, or have any empathy for what time of year it is and how maybe not everyone has your level of accessibility to the game, so a couple days isn't a big deal to you? Maybe reconsider some stuff.

Imagine having tickets to opening night of a big movie you've been waiting years to see, and it's the only night you can see it for numerous reasons, and you show up and every time you get in line to get in the theater, everyone is told to exit the building and get back in line. For hours. And you don't even get to see the movie. Some people can just go tomorrow. Cool for you. Weird that you don't mind the absurdity of why you missed it in the first place, but whatever. Some of us can't, and it fucks up subsequent plans. Making it worse, the internet is going to be flooded with spoilers before we can actually see the movie, and it's unlikely we can see it without having some, or all, of it entirely spoiled.

Imagine being baffled by the customers who got screwed over, about why they're angry, or why they want a refund. :rotate:

geese.

• Options
    To be 100% clear, I don't care about the queues.

It could be 10,000, and I would be understanding.

It's the disconnects, the babysitting required, making me have to choose between getting in at all, and doing anything else while I wait in queue. If I knew I was going to be in queue for 3 hours, I could get a lot done, it'd be fine.

It's the fact that if I miss a 2002 for even a minute, I will 100% lose my place in the queue and have to start over, and they can pop up any time with no warning, so if I'm not constantly looking at my login screen, I am unlikely to ever get in (Hence it taking 8 hours yesterday).

Again, if it were just a long queue; whatever. I could plan around it. I could do some cleaning or get some work done on my aquariums. But I can't because I do want to play, and doing anything else is risking the chance.

• Options
    CorriganX wrote: »

i'm trying both of these things right now because i've reached the point of willing to try any superstition

and so far so good. i swapped after a 2002 and got right back into the queue in my spot in line and didn't have to fight lobby crashes.

followup one or both of these things got me through the queue without losing my place. i did have 2 more 2002 crashes but i got immediately back in without fighting the lobby errors.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021

I'm only partially sympathetic here. Yes, I know hardware is hard to source...but why in 2021 are you running your own hardware and data centers for which you need to physically fly hardware and engineers out to upgrade? Unless you are Google/Apple/Microsoft scale or you have extremely tight security controls (e.g. a bank or crypto wallet) running your own physical data centers is a fools errand. They shouldn't be trying to upgrade their hardware, they should be trying to move off their own hardware on to commodity solutions that can scale elastically as required.

That said the queues aren't really the issue. It's the 2002 errors causing a complete client and login cycle which is just lazy, bad, programming. It's completely unnecessary. They could easily have their network engine just retry on a 2002 and put your right back in queue. I don't want to hear about "legacy code" either, networking code is networking code and is an extremely well trodden discipline in the programming world.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

I'm not really sure what you're describing here? "Swapped your launcher to windowed mode", do you mean the game client? Because the launcher is always windowed. Plus the launcher closes when the game launches, so I am very confused about these instructions.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

I'm not really sure what you're describing here? "Swapped your launcher to windowed mode", do you mean the game client? Because the launcher is always windowed. Plus the launcher closes when the game launches, so I am very confused about these instructions.

Sorry, swapped the game client to windowed and minimized it, yes.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
This discussion has been closed.