As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Fully Loaded, High-Octane [Spirits] Thread

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I think this is the best tequila I've ever had:

White-La-Gritona_crop.jpg

Highly recommend grabbing it if you see it.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Never had a tequila I have enjoyed but I would get one of those just for the bottle.

I wish Grolsch still did the swing top bottles.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'll drink pretty much anything out of a swing top bottle, that's just something I've had to learn and accept about myself.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    The name turned me off, but the drawing brought me back onboard in a big way

• Options
    The name turned me off, but the drawing brought me back onboard in a big way

Its important to honor local cryptids, although its technically skunk ape which is not great on something I want people to drink and smell.

• Options
    edited April 2022

I really like how this drink came out, but I've liked every drink I've made with plantation. Its only a bar spoon of the Dram in there, but the scent is very present and adds a nice taste. Remembering to get an orange and adding a twist of that would have been great.

Magell on
  • Options
    First time having and making a Manhattan and it turned out well, although I have a bourbon and not a rye.

Copper Still is much better than the Fistful of Bourbon. Seems like a solid $30 pickup so far.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    So I have been introduced to the aviation and now I need to learn about gin because the aviation is the first gun cocktail I actually like.

Tell me about your favorite gins.

sarukun on
  • Options
    My brother is big into gin and his favorite is Hendricks, which I've like in every cocktail I've tried it in after not being a big gin fan.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    The gin with that cocktail's name, Aviation, is good! It's an American style, lower on juniper. Bluecoat is another good example of the American style, as well as Barr Hill.

Tanqueray is a staple gin for a reason, and their Tanqueray No. 10 is extremely good (more citrusy flavors). Hendricks is also very good with some cucumber taste in it.

There are a number of gins I haven't bought yet just due to not getting through bottles very fast, but I have hotlisted: Roku, Drumshanbo, The Botanist.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    I’ve seen the botanist advertised online a lot, Babish and some cocktail making channels. Let me know if you ever get a chance to try it, curiosity burns.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Gin tastes like perfume. I do not like it Sam I am.

My ex used to buy the big like half gallon bottles of the sapphire one a few times a month...

I like whiskey and rum, but I don't drink often so I just have like a few ounces of Jameson sitting on my counter that's been there for like three years at this point.

I gotta try more rums though, the bottle I got is a cheap Bacardi one in a plastic bottle that I got to make strawberry daiquiris. But it kind of just tastes like sugar on it's own, I wanna get something in a funky Jamaican rum I think.

• Options
    I do not know rum well at all but I do have a bottle of Plantation 5 Year and it's rather good and was not at all expensive.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    For rum:

Ron Zacapa Sistema Solara 23.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    For rum:

That looks pretty affordable for a 23 year old rum

• Options
    Rum tends to be cheaper than a lot of liquors because it doesn't seem to get the same respect as whiskey and scotch.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Diplomatico is my absolute favorite rum

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    my go-to rum was Sailor Jerry. high proof and costs basically nothing.

and if you want to make a lot of bad decisions, there's always Bacardi 151

nothin' says "there's gonna be some fights tonight" like seeing a bottle of 151 at a party

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    For rum:

That looks pretty affordable for a 23 year old rum

The way Solera works, it's some proportion of the rum in the final blend that's 23 years old, the average age in the bottle is likely 6-7 years. I like Zacapa but its very obviously dosed with straight up sugar to get as sweet as it is, any straight up aged rum without that dosage isn't nearly as sweet.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    my go-to rum was Sailor Jerry. high proof and costs basically nothing.

and if you want to make a lot of bad decisions, there's always Bacardi 151

nothin' says "there's gonna be some fights tonight" like seeing a bottle of 151 at a party
    Made my rum and cokes with that in college. It was... fun.

sig.gif
  • Options
    sarukun wrote: »
    So I have been introduced to the aviation and now I need to learn about gin because the aviation is the first gun cocktail I actually like.

Tell me about your favorite gins.

everything from St. George is really good.

I like to ART
  • Options
    I'm a big fan of cities that let you carry open drinks around. New Orleans was my first exposure to that with its pick up windows for drinks which rule. My pub crawl ghost tour through Savannah was awesome, and this summer I'm hoping to visit the Florida Keys for that atmosphere.

What are some of your favorite open container visits?

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of cities that let you carry open drinks around. New Orleans was my first exposure to that with its pick up windows for drinks which rule. My pub crawl ghost tour through Savannah was awesome, and this summer I'm hoping to visit the Florida Keys for that atmosphere.

Anywhere in Japan, especially during cherry blossom season or a nice summer day where you can chill in the park and get blasted with your friends, then walk around as the sun goes down and meet random Japanese folks eager to hang out and buy you more drinks at whatever local pub they decide to introduce you to.

• Options

Anywhere in Japan, especially during cherry blossom season or a nice summer day where you can chill in the park and get blasted with your friends, then walk around as the sun goes down and meet random Japanese folks eager to hang out and buy you more drinks at whatever local pub they decide to introduce you to.

As if I didn't want to visit Japan enough.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Savannah Georgia is an open drink county.

• Options

https://youtu.be/mxZBrbVqZnU

Also to answer your question, pretty much everywhere else in the world because in my experiences it’s basically only America that sucks and is weird about having drinks outside.

• Options
    Going to try making liqueurs this weekend, so I guess I won't really know how it turns out for a while, but I'm going to start with raspberry, blackberry, and coffee.

I'm also going to make my own grenadine so I can make the 12 Mile.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Going to try making liqueurs this weekend, so I guess I won't really know how it turns out for a while, but I'm going to start with raspberry, blackberry, and coffee.

I'm also going to make my own grenadine so I can make the 12 Mile.

Homemade grenadine is so much better than the bottled stuff. That and orgeat are two that I don't expect to ever go back to buying again.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I love chartreuse so much yall. Why is that shit so good. Just gimme that and some ice water to dilute it and unnffff. Yellow>green.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I love green myself but then it's a key ingredient in a couple of my all-time GOATed cocktails so I have my biases

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Found Buffalo Trace in stock near me for above MSRP but at a level that's just sort of normal for this area, gonna give that a try tonight.

• Options
    Speaking of bourbon, I can now give a review of Rip Van Winkle 10 Year as a generally non-bourbon drinker.

It's............fine? If you can get it for MSRP it's probably not worth that by a small fraction but it was fun trying it out.

• Options
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    Found Buffalo Trace in stock near me for above MSRP but at a level that's just sort of normal for this area, gonna give that a try tonight.

I recently saw Weller for a hundred fucking dollars and jesus wept. That was the daily driver in like, 2015 in Atlanta. Buffalo trace is also good but just what. And as a bourbon enjoyer I 100%agree with the pappy review. It's good stuff, but frankly, aint no bottle a $200 bottle, much less MORE.

• Options

I recently saw Weller for a hundred fucking dollars and jesus wept. That was the daily driver in like, 2015 in Atlanta. Buffalo trace is also good but just what. And as a bourbon enjoyer I 100%agree with the pappy review. It's good stuff, but frankly, aint no bottle a $200 bottle, much less MORE.

I just watched a video where the guy recommends Weller as long as you can find it in the $20-$40 range and to just let it go if its over that.

• Options

I just watched a video where the guy recommends Weller as long as you can find it in the $20-$40 range and to just let it go if its over that.

It is an EXCELLENT bottle at those prices. Bourbon is just pants on head these days. At the end of the day, its just booze yall.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm not expecting to be blown away by the Buffalo Trace, I'd just never seen it for not pants on head prices before so I wanted to try it.

• Options
    I find the ceiling on bourbon to be much lower than other boozes.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Yeah I'm not expecting to be blown away by the Buffalo Trace, I'd just never seen it for not pants on head prices before so I wanted to try it.

They have enough variability batch to batch that when we did blind tastings we could consistently tell differences, but I've never had a bad bottle from them.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Personally I wouldn't pay more than $35 for a bottle of Buffalo Trace.