As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Fully Loaded, High-Octane [Spirits] Thread

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    is Woodford Reserve still reasonably priced? that was the one bourbon I ever have bought more than once

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    is Woodford Reserve still reasonably priced? that was the one bourbon I ever have bought more than once

Yes. I haven't noticed any price changes in years. $35 right now at my preferred store.

They have a double oaked variety now that's pretty good if you can abide something a bit sweeter. Goes for $60 though.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Woodford and regular Knob Creek have remained at pretty steady prices for the last 5-6 years.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Yeah so Buffalo Trace is fine, I don't see why it's such a feeding frenzy to find it but it's a nice sipper. The cherry notes in it are interesting.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I passed on the Rose Water for my homemade grenadine since it's $20 per bottle and I'm not that hardcore yet that I'll notice the difference, and I'm not going to use it that often.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I imagine the hype for Weller and buffalo both are (at least this was the case, dunno now) made from the same juice as pappy is. I think it's buffalo traces owner making the basic mash and distillate for a bunch of places that then go do the aging etc. And honestly, it is by all accounts some good hooch for making bourbon with. The rest is the trickle down of the pappy hype train.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Not a spirit because it's not distilled but I'm gonna finally make a batch of mead soon. Figure I'm gonna do a gallon instead of 5 like the first time I did. For space reasons and ease of work reasons plus building up confidence that I can do it again.

The only thing I still need is a case of beer bottles.

• Options
    I should have measured how much my mason jars can hold before I started making the liqueurs. Didn't quite get as much vodka into the raspberry one as I hoped, but it was pretty close. The coffee liqueur was too light on rum, but at least I knew before I added the coffee before I put it in the mason jar so I cut that one down before hand although still didn't quite get as much rum in there. I guess in a month I'll know how those two turned out.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    user wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    For rum:

Ron Zacapa Sistema Solara 23.

That looks pretty affordable for a 23 year old rum

The way Solera works, it's some proportion of the rum in the final blend that's 23 years old, the average age in the bottle is likely 6-7 years. I like Zacapa but its very obviously dosed with straight up sugar to get as sweet as it is, any straight up aged rum without that dosage isn't nearly as sweet.

Yeah, solera style is a Spanish brandy thing, and in that context it's mostly legit. For rum it is straight up nonsense. Zacapa is one of the worst offenders in the category of putting an number on the bottle that people think is the age.
    4ckkvv7be7km.png

You will note that no where on here does it say "age" or "anos". It is literally just the number "23".

I am sorry to dredge this post up from the depths but this this one of my pet peeves. It is straight up deceptive and I wish the TTB would clamp down on this behavior by producers more strictly.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I like that glass on the right, that's a good glass.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Hmm, maybe I should make some grenadine.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Peen wrote: »
    I like that glass on the right, that's a good glass.

My brother got me a glassware set with two of those glasses, coasters, and whiskey rocks.

I should have turned the glass on the left because its one I got my gf that has a triceratops on it.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Hey, booze thread. I've recently came to the conclusion that Bloody Marys are dang tasty and are a thing I'd like to drink more of. But since I came to this conclusion with a restaurant Bloody, I'm an absolute newbie in this realm, so I'm asking you this: what's a recommended vodka for making Bloody Marys that won't cost $Texas? Any aspects or ingredients I should be looking for/running away from? And if you know a good Bloody premix (because I'm lazy), care to share with a neophyte?

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Just go with Tito's for vodka. It always punches above it's weight - it tends to get rated near the top in blind tastings, usually above numerous other more expensive vodkas.

Can't help with the mix, sorry.

Ketar on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I have never had a bloody mary premix that did not taste awful

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    The other move I'd recommend for finding better prices on liquors is local stuff. They are usually cheaper, plus you make a day of it and do a distillery tour and tasting.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Hey, booze thread. I've recently came to the conclusion that Bloody Marys are dang tasty and are a thing I'd like to drink more of. But since I came to this conclusion with a restaurant Bloody, I'm an absolute newbie in this realm, so I'm asking you this: what's a recommended vodka for making Bloody Marys that won't cost $Texas? Any aspects or ingredients I should be looking for/running away from? And if you know a good Bloody premix (because I'm lazy), care to share with a neophyte?

I just use V8 juice. Put some tabasco in there, put the vodka in, and add a shitload of pepper and you got a crazy sexy little drink

Depressperado on
  • Options
    How does one actually get the right amount of bitters out of one of those little bottles

I always end up fucking up my old fashioned one out of three times with too much

• Options
    I usually grip it by the bottom. Then I flip, dash, flip as quickly as possible, if that makes sense?

• Options
  • Options
    Again not a spirit really but my yeast is leaving solution in my mead project
    th4jqsevjhbf.jpg

See it building up on the bottom there as the mead starts to get a little less cloudy?

Gonna give it another week and test it for residual sugar (I am hoping it'll be dry, safer to bottle even with potassium based stabilizers) add the parenthetical stabilizers, and probably just let it get clear enough ontop of the yeast.

I'm planning on bottling in amber bear bottles anyway since it's a small batch so it doesn't need to be crystal clear before I do so. Just have to be careful when pouring it because sediment will gather at the bottom of those in the fridge over the months.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    The other move I'd recommend for finding better prices on liquors is local stuff. They are usually cheaper, plus you make a day of it and do a distillery tour and tasting.

Speaking of, tried the "aged" bottle of whiskey from my local guys (Murlarkey).

The quotes are there because, when you've been around for < 10 years total, it's hard to have a really aged bottle of whiskey. :D

That being said, it is fantastic. It's kind of underlines the reason why, even though their normal selection is really young (and therefore a bit harsher than I like), I'm happy to toss money at them because they're doing something pretty special.

Plus, they aged it in barrels from one of my favorite local wineries.

• Options
    my partner just bottled a mead that's wildflower honey with white wine yeast, then flavored with cardamom tea and pomegranate - it is absolutely delightful, smooth and semi-sweet with lot of flavor

• Options
    my partner just bottled a mead that's wildflower honey with white wine yeast, then flavored with cardamom tea and pomegranate - it is absolutely delightful, smooth and semi-sweet with lot of flavor

Awesome! How long did it take for them?

I am doing a gallon batch with 3 pounds of honey and d47 yeast. I didn't have the test jar so didn't get a good starting gravity but it should be around 14% if it ferments totally dry which is what I'm shooting for.

The airlock is barley bubbling anymore already and it's getting a little clearer each day already. Next week I'll have more testing equipment so I'll get what'll be the final gravity reading around then to know for sure when I add the stabilizers in and seal it back up until it's clear enough to bottle.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I may have just purchased, like, seven bottles of spirits and an assortment of bitters from a local-ish distillery, along with a few measuring and mixing instruments.

Why yes, I am planning on getting back into making mixed drinks at home.

• Options
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Awesome! How long did it take for them?

I am doing a gallon batch with 3 pounds of honey and d47 yeast. I didn't have the test jar so didn't get a good starting gravity but it should be around 14% if it ferments totally dry which is what I'm shooting for.

The airlock is barley bubbling anymore already and it's getting a little clearer each day already. Next week I'll have more testing equipment so I'll get what'll be the final gravity reading around then to know for sure when I add the stabilizers in and seal it back up until it's clear enough to bottle.

Text response: "Usually about a month to two months each stage? But yes, [did the timing entirely by] vibes"

I don't think they even checked alcohol or gravity except during the transfer from primary to secondary fermentation

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Well I have gotten my hands on a brix/specific gravity refractometer and hey that seems easier than a hydrometer

• Options
    Magell wrote: »
    Stopped at a fancy cocktail place as our first stop and tried a Negroni for the first time.

If you liked it, I feel obligated to let you know that there are many variations on a Negroni that usually involve swapping out the liquor (gin) for something else, but sometimes the other ingredients as well. If you liked the bitterness of it and want to explore cocktails it's a great starting point.

• Options
    4y4kxawcngu8.jpg

This looks like it's coming along nicely. It's really starting to clarify.

I think it'll clear to a kind of darker color like this because of how long my honey sat in the bucket.

I'm going to give it like one more week probably (I started the last Wednesday of last month so not this Wednesday but next week) before I pop it open and test the gravity and think about moving it over to a second container to clear the rest of the way before bottling.

Wish I had a gallon glass jug for that though so I could age it with less headspace but eh that would make bottling a pain compared to these two things I got with the spigots.

• Options
    I decided to pop the stopper and used my fancy refractometer to check the gravity this afternoon and it's a little over 1.03... which is quite a bit of sugar still in there! Gonna check next week and see if it's dropped any more. Since I wasn't able to get an accurate original gravity I'll have no real way of knowing what the abv actually ends at but I'm hoping I end up with a low enough sugar content at the end to not risk bottle bombs. Though I am using beer bottles and am going to be putting them in the fridge for storage.

Tasted part of the sample I took too, and it's definitely alcoholic, kinda got a bit of rocket fuel to it actually but not so bad as you might expect, but you definitely taste the sugars still in there too and that's not too bad either, it's got a bit of a roasted sugar quality to it that's quite nice like a lightly floral caramel?

Anyway if it hasn't dropped any gravity by next week it's just going to get transferred over to the other container with some k sorbate and let it clear in there is the new plan. Then bottle after that.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Well, I finally finished the bottle of Makers 46 I bought before Christmas.

Initially I was enjoying it. But by the end of the bottle I wasn’t. No regrets trying it, but it won’t be a repeat.

To fill the gap on the shelf I got a bottle of Ardbeg An Oa. I’ve always wanted to try Ardbeg but never did.

First impression is, this is fantastic. really smoky, but not quite overpowering. This will absolutely be a repeat - abs I immediately want to try their much stronger Corryvreckan.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Man I work at a meadery and I've yet to make my own mead.

I've only brewed one batch of beer and that was a huge bust so I haven't used my kettle or stuff since.

I've had an idea for a Belgian wheat inspired session mead that wouldn't be a braggot (since I probably wouldn't use any actual wheat) but would definitely go hard on the citrus. Maybe dry hopping it with Hallertau?

• Options
    Yeah I mean if I had access to that quality of mead at an employee discount I might not brew my own either

But it is fun though

Citrus sounds like it could be really good

• Options
    Oh yeah there's no way I could get a home batch to the level they make at the meadery, but I've been wanting to expirament a little and see if I can't get something worthy of going tap.

I will say, our brown ale inspired mead? It's uh... it's not great. But I think a wheaty, citrusy, 6-8% would be really good. Especially if I carbed it.

• Options
    The local meadery does one with orange blossom honey and cinnamon that's quite good, or the first batch was better and the second batch was a little sweeter than I like.

But I think working with orange blossom honey as an experiment might get you somewhere pretty good pretty quickly. Especially if you dry hop it as that's a good deal more bitter than cinnamon and could cut any potential sweetness.

I would certainly try one like you are describing.

I've never had a carbed mead before though so that would be interesting no matter what.

• Options
    Bottled the raspberry liqueur the other day

Important lesson learned since the sugar is in there macerating the raspberries it has some pectin in there and I should have been changing the coffee filter it was straining through. Once I started changing the filter the process was much faster.

• Options
    Ordered 2 bubblers and a carboy brush. I'm gonna try and clean the hell out of my carboys and see if I can't get them spick and span and ready to brew. It's gonna be tough tho because they've been outside for... a minute.

BUT I think maybe this weekend we're gonna make a batch and then once I get that done I'm gonna try and make my own at home. I dunno if I want to try my idea for the Belgian wheat style or just make a traditional first?

• Options
    I've only made traditionals myself so far and it was always pretty simple honestly, basically just math, then mixing the must checking the gravity and pitching the yeast, though the first time I did a staggered nutrient schedule also.

The one five gallon I did years ago now and the one gallon batch I haven't opened a bottle of yet because I went and got sick this week though I'll probably wait till it's a full month to open one and hopefully it isn't very rocket fuely.